Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

51 focus points yet they only cover around 70% of the frame, could be worse we could have a Canon 5D with 9 lol

Had the weekend now to shoot some shots with the D700 and have to say i am loving it, the thing i am delighted about is the combo of the D700 and 24-70 F2,8, i dont know what it is but i have never attached a lens to another camera and felt so assured when using and so delighted once reviewing.

Sorry, must have missed that page.

That's not good. One of the things I love about the D300 is its metering, and I never usually need much comp, unless I'm shooting something black, or the sky is incredibly white.

I would have thought the metering systems between the D300/700/3 were very similar, so I don't understand why this seems to be a problem. Are we talking matrix metering?

Mine meters the same as my D300 Keith - I run both at -0.3.

As for is it worth upgrading from a D300, for me it was worth it 100%

Mine meters the same as my D300 Keith - I run both at -0.3.
Weird. I usually run mine between 0.0 and +0.7, and only rarely go negative. I suppose it depends on the type of photography you shoot. I suppose it might also depend on your raw processor (assuming you shoot raw).

Just spent £2.39 on an application for the iPhone:

MUG D700 guide.

Worth a look and there are versions for other Nikons too.

I haven't been brave enough to download the firmware update yet, (a) is it easy to do the update and (b) any issues/problems that can occur.

I've got an event to shoot this weekend and next and don't want to risk knackering a camera that's working fine at the moment!

I've already got a computer having a hissy fit every now and again since a few system changes but I can cope with that, camera is a different matter!

the first time i did it nikon helpline where brilliant and talked me through live

you can also download and add

portrait and landscape settings from the D300s

i now shoot mostly on neutral myself jpeg [yes i know] as i dont like the artifical bright colours

i now shoot mostly on neutral myself jpeg [yes i know] as i dont like the artifical bright colours

Great, any links for them and any other Picture Styles ?

I would also be interested in these settings, if you have the links ;)

Many thanks, will give those a go (y)

Used my Darkstar 700 for the first time this weekend. Spent a couple of days shooting Show Jumping in a pretty dark arena.
Bolted on THE BEAST and went to work. Shot in DX Mode medium jpeg. Wanted to shoot small file sizes for quick transfer to computer.
Only need to print max 10x8, which I do on the day.
Auto white balance and Auto ISO. no PP.
SOLD A LOT OF PRINTS
Can only be good news, so far I love it!!
Sample straight from camera, remember low quality jpeg.

and memory cards

anyone useing larger than 8gb thats what i have

Last edited:
O

M

G!!!

Ok, I bought this camera because of image quality, full frame goodness and ISO performance. This weekend it got its first real-life test, in a sports hall, shooting a karate tournament and frankly my ghast is somewhat flabbered. Yes, I knew it would be good, I knew it would out-perform the D300, but I wasn't as prepared as I thought I might be for the extent to which it did this, and bear in mind the D300 is no shrinking violet in the higher iso stakes. For the first time ever, I was able to shoot at F4 [instead of f2.8, always an advantage with moving objects], iso 3200 and 1/200 [1/160 @ iso 1600 was as far as I could push previously] and I am just amazed at the images I have got. Will post some shots over next day or two when time permits, but I finally feel like I have what I want and need in terms of bodies [D300 for length, D700 for breadth] and I am one step closer to the kit to to do what I really want to do (y)

I downloaded the landscape and portrait picture styles, is it just me or are the colours on the landscape style a bit OTT and to say the least un-natural? i ended up toning down in LR.

O

M

G!!!

Ok, I bought this camera because of image quality, full frame goodness and ISO performance. This weekend it got its first real-life test, in a sports hall, shooting a karate tournament and frankly my ghast is somewhat flabbered. Yes, I knew it would be good, I knew it would out-perform the D300, but I wasn't as prepared as I thought I might be for the extent to which it did this, and bear in mind the D300 is no shrinking violet in the higher iso stakes. For the first time ever, I was able to shoot at F4 [instead of f2.8, always an advantage with moving objects], iso 3200 and 1/200 [1/160 @ iso 1600 was as far as I could push previously] and I am just amazed at the images I have got. Will post some shots over next day or two when time permits, but I finally feel like I have what I want and need in terms of bodies [D300 for length, D700 for breadth] and I am one step closer to the kit to to do what I really want to do (y)

I got mine yesterday - worries of it being rapidly superceded were put to bed by it being 'enough camera' that the technology isn't the limiting factor anymore...I can only blame myself now :bonk:

Finally received "David Busch's Nikon D700 Guide to Digital SLR photography" today from Amazon, i ordered it in July 2009 but there was obviously a problem with the printing and output, as i had two emails confirming delivery but it was cancelled twice, however on the plus side when i ordered the book it was on offer for £8.70, now it's gone up to £19.99, i have his D300 guide and found it very good, there quite large guides packed with info, so i will be having a good look through it this week, for anyone interested it's HERE ;)

Finally received "David Busch's Nikon D700 Guide to Digital SLR photography" today from Amazon, i ordered it in July 2009 but there was obviously a problem with the printing and output, as i had two emails confirming delivery but it was cancelled twice, however on the plus side when i ordered the book it was on offer for £8.70, now it's gone up to £19.99, i have his D300 guide and found it very good, there quite large guides packed with info, so i will be having a good look through it this week, for anyone interested it's HERE ;)

Looks good Tel, going by the reviews on Amazon.com. Ordered me a copy from The Hut, who have it for £10.99 delivered.

Was the book worth getting?

Early days yet, only got it on Tuesday and have only read Preface, Introduction and a few pages of first chapter. First impressions are very good, albeit the book is far bigger than I expected - over 500 pages, definitely not a 'field guide'!. I like his style of writing though and don't imagine it will be a chore getting through the book.

I think so, like psybear early days yet, and is a beast of a book, but i do like the way he explains things, i had his D300 guide and found that great as well, he also does one for the D300s and the D90,there very comprehensive books with good illustrations in photo form, i doubt there is much if anything left out.

I am 3/4 of the way through it and it is definately worth getting.
The info is clear, in depth and superbly illustrated.:clap:

Mine is getting it's first "proper" workout this weekend on a "Boudoir" seminar with Trevor and Faye Yerbury. If you don't know their work then go and have a look, absolutely stunning (NSFW though) so I have a lot to learn! A bit daunting to put your head in where it might get bitten off but it's a good way to learn. :)

Ali that sounds like it will be a great learning curve, i m sure it will be fantastic, look forward to hearing about it on your return.

As for the book Guy's i have just ordered it as i love nothing more than reading a book about cameras lol. but needs must.

I wanted to get some "serious" time in before I use them on my own work so the day shooting with Trevor and Faye is ideal. I also have an off camera flash workout next weekend and I'm shooting as second for a good friend on the 10th April so hopefully by the time I'm standing there on my jack with a D700 in my hand I'm not going to make a twit of myself (well no more than usual!) :)

if Trevor and Faye are Ok with me posting some of the images I'll get them posted :)

I'm currently using a D200 and thinking of bypassing D300s, and going straight for D700. Any thoughts?

I'm currently using a D200 and thinking of bypassing D300s, and going straight for D700. Any thoughts?

I would definitely go for that too, if you go for a D300s it's only a matter of short time before you will want to go full frame, so why not just cut out the middleman and go straight for the D700 :D

I know it's unlikely that someone is going to splurge an enormous amount of money on a camera and then turn round and say it carp but I'm hugely impressed. Not only by the D700 itself but the lenses are absolutely stunning to use.

I'm still getting used to things like the "in focus" little comfirmation symbol in the viewfinder and have set mine so they won't actually take a pic unless they have focus.

I've been shooting everything fully manual because that's the way I wanted to learn them so if I choose to shoot aperture priority at some point then that's fine, it's a step back in terms of the interaction I need to have.

I've still not dabbled with the auto ISO either which is something else I really need to play with. Got a civil partnership that I'm second shooting at on the 10th April so that will give me a very good chance to try some of those things out relatively risk free.

Results of the first outing with the D700 are on my blog at NSFW http://alisonbaileyphotography.blogspot.com/

My Brightscreen split-prism focusing screen finally arrived and I've got it installed. I would've got a Katzeye screen but I wanted the large diagonal split-prism. I'm not wowed in the same way I have been with my Katzeye screens (D90, D300s), in short:

*the matte periphery looks dirty and not crystal clear like a Katzeye/original focusing screen
*no locating tab, ugly red ink mark where this should be assumedly for getting the correct orientation
*strong chromatic aberration through the viewfinder (admittedly I am also using the DK-17M)
*poor tools and packaging compared to katzeye (screen wrapped in glorified toilet paper!)

In terms of MF usability it's obviously an improvement on the stock screen. The matte periphery may well be to my benefit as things do 'pop' into focus a bit more strongly, but this is countered by the light loss (looks dark even through an f/2 lens). Further testing needed. It's currently back-focusing by about 3mm at minimum focus with my Zeiss 50/2 makro - will need to tweak that 2mm allen inside the D700 body if I want it perfect.

Last edited:
Back