Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

OK, tried another set of Eneloops, and its showing 8FPS.

Reaches for charger....

But seriously, Eneloops come ready to go, so they are unlikely to be completely flat.

I just bought so many Eneloops (8 x 4's) I guess one set might have got through/arrived not 'ready to use'. They're on charge! Thanks for your help.

Most of the time I use a Black Rapid, but when I'm not I find the neck strap a pain in the... Is there a decent hand strap I can use (just for safety really) in my 'home studio' (kids playroom...)?

Nikons AH-4 (y) - I've had mine for the last two years been & its been on a few cameras with grips as well... Nice now thats its finally gone soft :)nono: strap that is :p :LOL:)

There is an official Nikon one, but it's £70 :bonk: I just bought one from Ebay for a fiver or so, as long as you get one of the decent, leather ones you should be ok.

There is a Nikon AH-4 mk II & a Nikon AH-4 mk III from overseas (taiwan) priced at about £11 (ish) with free delivery......

Nikons AH-4 (y) - I've had mine for the last two years been & its been on a few cameras with grips as well... Nice now thats its finally gone soft :)nono: strap that is :p :LOL:)

There is a Nikon AH-4 mk II & a Nikon AH-4 mk III from overseas (taiwan) priced at about £11 (ish) with free delivery......

That's more like it (y)

That's more like it (y)

:D

AH-4 mkII & AH-4 mkIII not all that keen on the looks of the mk III version thou - still prefer the original AH-4 althou Nikon reckon that it wouldn't fit some of their cameras with a battery grip ie D700 & MB-D10 :thinking: but it does Nikon :LOL:

Okay, after selling mine early in the summer for a D7000 I realised I missed it so I've bought another. Great to have the crop and ff options.

The23rdman said:
Okay, after selling mine early in the summer for a D7000 I realised I missed it so I've bought another. Great to have the crop and ff options.

We've missed you Dean. Welcome back. What are doing about lenses ?

specialman said:
Bumcheeks - there goes my big idea :)

Looks like it's gonna have to be the D3S Pat (after all, you do NEED it)

trevorbray said:
Looks like it's gonna have to be the D3S Pat (after all, you do NEED it)

Fat chance methinks. I don't want to have to go to a d300s for the video function but there's no chance of work paying for a d3s AND a 14-24mm like I've asked for :)

Ive never really understood the need for a video function on a DSLR, when i had a D90 i don't think i ever even tested the video function, their are plenty of small very lightweight branded named video cameras out there which you can pick up for a couple of hundred quid so why let the lack of video function stop you buying a superb camera like the D700 :)

Ive never really understood the need for a video function on a DSLR, when i had a D90 i don't think i ever even tested the video function, their are plenty of small very lightweight branded named video cameras out there which you can pick up for a couple of hundred quid so why let the lack of video function stop you buying a superb camera like the D700 :)

The main things for me on my next body are:

* High ISO capability (useable above 3200/6400)
* Pro-level build and some degree of weathersealing

So that's any of the D3 series and the D700. However, video is starting to play a big part in what I do, shooting 60/90 second featurettes and teasers for our websites when I'm out on a shoot. I want to be able to create the look of a photograph on 'film' and the only way to do that is with my lenses that have a wide aperture, something I'm not going to get from an everyday video camera.

Without HD video on the D700, my thinking is for the extra few hundred, I might as well bypass the D700 and go for a D3 that is pretty much a replica of my D2x, has better weathersealing and faster fps. I was ready to go to an ungripped D700 if it had video but it doesn't so that's the end of that idea. And before it's mentioned, an add-on battery grip just isn't the same as a built-in grip....

Mind you, this stumbling block (the video function) isn't enough to send me scurrying over to the woeful 5Dmk2, possibly the worst expensive camera I've played with....

trevorbray said:
We've missed you Dean. Welcome back. What are doing about lenses ?

All primes except for the 80-200. I'm loving my 35 1.8 and hear it's pretty good on the D700 so I'll try it out.

....Mind you, this stumbling block (the video function) isn't enough to send me scurrying over to the woeful 5Dmk2, possibly the worst expensive camera I've played with....

:thinking: Wonder if any Canon users are reading this thread :LOL:

It'll be a 5mp crop though, being a DX lens....

Not necessarily! Many do not know that you can use the 35mmm 1.8 on a D700 in full-frame mode. It does, however, have some restrictions on its use. IIRC, it will vignette wide open, but its not bad stopped down a bit - at closer focusing distances. There is some barrel distortion too - which shows up on straight lines/architectural shots. You can get away with it, depending on your subject(s). Your sample may vary!

scottcampbell said:
How's the 18-35 on the D700?

Had one for a while. I thought it pretty good. Definitely good VFM. Sold it on as I didn't use it much. Probably get another. Can be found used for as little as £250

It does vignette a lot, but it usable. Still I'll get an D300, I think.

Is there anyway I can save this D700 thread as a favourites so that I can access it easily
Thanks
Dave

Thread tools top right - then subscribe to it.... then when someone posts to it it will show in your "MY TP"

Thanks Steve, will give that a go

The23rdman said:
It does vignette a lot, but it usable. Still I'll get an D300, I think.

Now I'm confused. I thought you were happy with D7000 as your crop body ?

Back