Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

Progress will of course happen, but the 700 is perfectly capable of taking prize shots, and it's possible that 12MP is the perfect tradeoff between resolution, noise and file sizes for 99% of the target consumers.

Whatever happens it'll be fun to see, but I see the D700 as a proven workhorse with a great reputation; why look to the as yet unknown? I'm happy as Larry that I have a magnificent tool for the job, and I'll be watching the next round of upgrades from the sidelines!

I think anyone who wants to 'upgrade' their d700 will be in a great position.

The new prices are still high. I'd like one, but I may as well wait to see if it's successor will be significantly better, or if the D700 prices get cut.

I'd like to hope it's replacement comes in at the same price point as the D700 did.

Canon dropped price for 5DMKII (Jessops) so Nikon D700 is a bit overpriced I think

I think anyone who wants to 'upgrade' their d700 will be in a great position.

The new prices are still high. I'd like one, but I may as well wait to see if it's successor will be significantly better, or if the D700 prices get cut.

I'd like to hope it's replacement comes in at the same price point as the D700 did.

Be prepared to pay £2200 or so at launch......

Hello all, as of yesterday I am a D700 owner :) getting a sigma 24-70 2.8 next week too.

Clarke.

Jessops are flush with 5d2 stock, whereas the D700 is difficult to find, and even WEx had to wait a month for the 15 they ordered. I tried a 5d2 last weekend out of waiting frustration - it's a nice camera, but the body just felt a little too lightweight, and I prefer the onbody control ethos of Nikon to the dual button functions of Canon. Added to that the fact that, for my needs, the AF and low light capability are inarguably better on the nikon and I decided to continue the wait.

For me, the Nikon is worth the premium. If I was a landscaper, I might feel differently!

Hello all, as of yesterday I am a D700 owner :) getting a sigma 24-70 2.8 next week too.

Clarke.

Hi clarkg

Can I ask you where did you get your d700 from and how much you paid.
I have D80 as well and just hunting for D700 but I have a stupid feeling that Nikon is going to release their new cameras so D700 price should drop.

dzidek said:
Hi clarkg

I have D80 as well and just hunting for D700 but I have a stupid feeling that Nikon is going to release their new cameras so D700 price should drop.

Hi,

I bought it 2nd hand on eBay, its in absolute perfect condition, not a mark on it, came with every original item. It only had taken 3k shots, paid £1,400 for it.

Clarke.

So are their any solid updates to the successor of the D700 yet, or is it all still speculation and rumours :)

Ah, I'm glad this thread popped up again - could not find it.

A couple of things.

Just got a Meike grip for about 40 notes off the bay. Cannot complain for the money.

Back-button focusing... is there a link to it, or do I need to trawl this thread?

Hi clarkg

There was (is?) one on Amazon, sounds good, for 1240 notes.

This is why I love the D700...

300mm f/2.8, 2x tc, 6400 iso, 100% crop sooc (compressed by Photobucket).....

DSC_0168.jpg

so gutted - looks like the new d700 i bought off ebay on the 24th august is a scam. I'll file a ebay report on saturday to get my money back but that'll probably take another 10 days. In the meantime i have the flash cards / grip waiting here but i can't afford another d700 until i get refunded! :(

rampanthamster said:
so gutted - looks like the new d700 i bought off ebay on the 24th august is a scam. I'll file a ebay report on saturday to get my money back but that'll probably take another 10 days. In the meantime i have the flash cards / grip waiting here but i can't afford another d700 until i get refunded! :(

Ouch. I feel for you. Hope you get it sorted !

When a grip is fitted to the D700 the battery to be used first can be selected in the menu. Is there any warning of switching over to the internal battery when the grip battery is exhausted? I suppose the FPS would drop (I'd be using 8 x NiMh AA)... Does the battery meter then indicate the second battery?

I've been missing / shooting incorrectly on a number of action shots, where the focus has pulled other than where I wanted it. I'm just wondering how easy it is to move the focus point around? I suppose I never exercise my fingers enough with all the buttons on the D700, but think this might help me get more shots on target?

I've also been playing with back button focus/recompose, but just can't imagine myself juggling all these buttons without getting into finger trouble. I suppose back button focus/recompose could be a touch quicker, but thought I'd have a look at moving the focus point too.

The action in question is martial arts - its bad enough waiting for people to be facing the right way, doing something, etc., without messing around with focus too.

When a grip is fitted to the D700 the battery to be used first can be selected in the menu. Is there any warning of switching over to the internal battery when the grip battery is exhausted? I suppose the FPS would drop (I'd be using 8 x NiMh AA)... Does the battery meter then indicate the second battery?

When the battery pack (genuine MB-D10) is in use it shows BP beside the battery indicator, I've never noticed (that's not to say it doesn't, I just haven't been staring at the screen when it changed) any warning to show it's changing sources.

I've seen reports that some of the aftermarket battery grips either don't report the charge state or do so incorrectly, leading to problems with the mirror ending stuck in the UP position when the battery exhausts mid-shot.....

Oooer. I have hte Meike grip - can anyone report their experiences?

In any event, I have plenty of sparkle limited edition Eneloops...

i have had a meike grip for over 2 years for my d300 no probs what so ever, brought another one about a year ago and the other day my d700 mirror stated sounding funny not stuck but just not working properly andd come up with err on top lcd, well the battery was low but changed the battery over to a new one and nothing the battery grip had died, and the d700 was still the same so put battery in body and went to proper sensor clean lifting the mirror which sorted it right out no probs since and i have taken about 1000 pics since last friday when it happend, but the grip is defo knackerd no power output so link delight are replacing it with a new one.

Oooer. I have hte Meike grip - can anyone report their experiences?

In any event, I have plenty of sparkle limited edition Eneloops...

Seems that many have recommended them in previous threads for the MB-D10 - do a search when you have an hour or so & read thru them, just make sure that you have plenty of milk for your cuppa's :p :LOL:

No idea, but I did pick up a genuine EN-EL3e for £29 from Amazon the other day. Last one in stock, though..... sorry...

Still. What a lovely camera. I almost feel sorry for those waiting and frustrating themselves for a D800 unknown quantity when this is just so good. Lessons from the D7000 and 5D show that raising MP [regardless of noise, ISO etc] is seemingly unforgiving of poor glass or sloppy technique. Raise a glass to the here and now, and embrace the near-digital perfection that is the D700!

Got the Meike grip on mine with a genuine ENEL4 in the grip and a standard ENEL3 in the camera.
Charge shows as usual with the BP when using the battery grip and normal icon when it switches to the camera battery.

No idea, but I did pick up a genuine EN-EL3e for £29 from Amazon the other day.

Watch when you buy "genuine" Nikon batteries from Amazon, unless it's Amazon themselves and not a Marketplace seller as there are lots of convincing fakes about....

Most of the time I use a Black Rapid, but when I'm not I find the neck strap a pain in the... Is there a decent hand strap I can use (just for safety really) in my 'home studio' (kids playroom...)?

Got the Meike grip on mine with a genuine ENEL4 in the grip and a standard ENEL3 in the camera.
Charge shows as usual with the BP when using the battery grip and normal icon when it switches to the camera battery.

I've loaded my Meike with 8xAA's (Eneloop), set the battery to use the grip first, quality to Fine, and continuous to high. When I shoot it just doesn't seem that fast. I've seen YouTube vids with the D700 machine gunning away on continuous high. Did I miss anything?

Edit - I have the continuous low set to 4 fps... but that won't affect it, right?

Last edited:
Most of the time I use a Black Rapid, but when I'm not I find the neck strap a pain in the... Is there a decent hand strap I can use (just for safety really) in my 'home studio' (kids playroom...)?

There is an official Nikon one, but it's £70 :bonk: I just bought one from Ebay for a fiver or so, as long as you get one of the decent, leather ones you should be ok.

On high, Sandisk Extreme III 30MB/s. No D lighting (not a fan of that) but I think NR is at default. But, it shot at ISO400. Jpeg fine. Its the same with Jpeg basic.

Aha, the INFO screen display is showing me 5FPS!

What's going on?

Just tried the Nikon EL batteries x2 - INFO still shows 5FPS. If I change CL to 3FPS, the INFO screen shows 3FPS.

I'm using Eneloops. Do I need AA Alkaline to get the higher FPS?

Last edited:
I had d10 set at NiMH HR6 AA - NiMH for Eneloops (HR6)

Incidentally, there is no d10 setting for the EN type battery.

Oh, I took the Nikon battery out of the body, powered up with the Eneloops in the grip,
and... nada. The Meike grip controls work OK, but it seems the power is not getting through to the body with the AA battery holder. I can put the EN battery holder in (no body battery) and it powers up - 5FPS.

I'll try some other AA's

Back