Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

:thinking: So if I was using a 35mm f2 then I would be looking at say 1/60th :shrug:

Its up to you really,at shorter lengths its doesnt matter as much. On my 16-35 I have it set to 1/15 and get perfectly good results.
You'd probably get away with 1/30 and still be sharp.

Cheers for that - just wanted to make sure that I understood it correctly :confused:

another daft question would be - would that be the setting/rule for most of the mode's ie Manual, Shutter :shrug:

i have to go higher as i am not steady
it dosent harm to make sure there is no camera movement

does anyone find that the preview images on the LCD are slightly underexposed, in comparison to how they appear on a monitor/print?

I took some shots recently which looked ok on the camera screen, but seemed a bit over-exposed on screen?

guess it could be my monitor too that needs calibrating!

does anyone find that the preview images on the LCD are slightly underexposed, in comparison to how they appear on a monitor/print?

I took some shots recently which looked ok on the camera screen, but seemed a bit over-exposed on screen?

What's your LCD brightness set at? Personally I only use it to check for focus accuracy/framing, don't trust the colours or brightness much - use the histogram for evaluating exposure most of the time.

What's your LCD brightness set at? Personally I only use it to check for focus accuracy/framing, don't trust the colours or brightness much - use the histogram for evaluating exposure most of the time.

i've temporarily upped the brightness on the camera now, to better match what I see on screen.

using the histogram is something on my list of things to learn!
any tips/links to a simple guide would be great if you have any to hand :)

benners said:

Are you shooting RAW or JPEG?

If RAW, bear in mind that what you see on the back is how the JPEG would look, the RAW file will look completely different. Your monitor also probably needs turning down a notch or two on the brightness.

ah some great info thank you chaps... I always shoot in RAW, so happy that I can adjust exposure in Bridge/Photoshop if needs be. I just did a live music shoot at the weekend, using my usual settings and most images looks 'ok' on the LCD, but over-exposed on the monitor.

will read up on the histogram links (that'll be another tick against things to learn about!)

Well had a try of my new toy on the 70-200mm VRII and am wondering if any one else has noticed the same thing...

F44 :shrug:

Yep I can get F44 by turning the dial - Is this natural or have I got something different to worry about - I thought that it would only go to F22 but obviously not.... So is this natural (as I haven't noticed it before with any other TC & lens) as by god does it dont arf go black :LOL:

Well had a try of my new toy on the 70-200mm VRII and am wondering if any one else has noticed the same thing...

F44 :shrug:

Yep I can get F44 by turning the dial - Is this natural or have I got something different to worry about - I thought that it would only go to F22 but obviously not.... So is this natural (as I haven't noticed it before with any other TC & lens) as by god does it dont arf go black :LOL:

Sounds right to me - an f/22 lens with a X2 converter would become an f/44 lens.

Sounds right to me - an f/22 lens with a X2 converter would become an f/44 lens.

Thats alright then, as not gone that high tbh....

Is stock starting to dry up?

I'm noticing no stock. Not that I'm in a position to buy yet, but I check the prices every now and then.

Deron said:

I'm noticing no stock. Not that I'm in a position to buy yet, but I check the prices every now and then.

Yes. Very strong rumours that Nikon are finally announcing the successor at an event they're holding this month.

Yes. Very strong rumours that Nikon are finally announcing the successor at an event they're holding this month.

Yep, Nikon Rumors recently ran this story: August 24th announcement and Thom Hogan seems to have the same info in his July 30th news post.

how did I live this long without this camera?!
only problem I know have is that I need a new bag!

have been using the Lowepro Fastpack 250 with the D90, but a gripped D700 + lens doesn't really fit.

which bags do you guys have to take the D700 out&about, with enough room for a backup D90, a lens or two and a few accessories?

(y)

thanks for the replies to this guys, the Thinktank retrospective was widely recommended, though on reflection, I think I'm going to be best off with a doublestrap backpack...

anyone have any recommendations for a backpack which will fit a gripped d700+lens, second gripped body (d90) and lenses, including 70-200?

i've currently got a Lowepro Fastpack 200, but it doesn't fit a gripped d700 very well...

I use the Tamrac expedition 8.

Takes

D700 gripped
D300 gripped
S5 Pro gripped
70-200 VR
300F4
17-55 2.8
24-70
10-20
70mm macro
50 1.4
2xTC
2xSB900
12 camera batteries
50 AA for flash
2x battery packs for SB 900
Exposure meter
multiple cf cards
cleaning eqpt
filters
plus lots more.

It's heavy when full but extremely comfortable.

I have the ThinkTank Retrospective. But, I use that to get my gear from home to the car, and car to site. It doesn't encourage me to go walkabout. There are times when I want something less of a burden on the shoulder. Maybe a small backpack, sling? If you find something that's as discreet as the Retrospective, let me know!

thanks for the replies to this guys, the Thinktank retrospective was widely recommended, though on reflection, I think I'm going to be best off with a doublestrap backpack...

anyone have any recommendations for a backpack which will fit a gripped d700+lens, second gripped body (d90) and lenses, including 70-200?

i've currently got a Lowepro Fastpack 200, but it doesn't fit a gripped d700 very well...

What about the Kata 3n1-30 :shrug: I have Gripped D700 with 24-70 attched, 70-200 VR II, SB600, carl zeiss cased TC-20E III & 35mm f2 in it an have room for more...

Last edited:
I have the ThinkTank Retrospective. But, I use that to get my gear from home to the car, and car to site. It doesn't encourage me to go walkabout. There are times when I want something less of a burden on the shoulder. Maybe a small backpack, sling? If you find something that's as discreet as the Retrospective, let me know!

ah I think that is my quandary... trying to find one bag which I can use to transport stuff AND carry around. there are certain jobs where I'll need to do this as there won't be anywhere safe to leave a bag and carry around something smaller... or the car may be parked a long way away (music festivals, outdoor events, etc.)

What about the Kata 3n1-30 :shrug: I have Gripped D700 with 24-70 attched, 70-200 VR II, SB600, carl zeiss cased TC-20E III & 35mm f2 in it an have room for more...

thanks for the suggestion, will head over to google and see what it's like (y)

i have not managed to find a bag that will take a gripped d700 with 28-70mm f2.8 and a gripped d300 with siggy 50-500mm os, 70-200mm f2.8 and nifty 50 a couple flashes a and a load of other stuff.
when i go out and i can take it i take my case i brought from maplins but that only stays in the car, then the gear oes in my bag and on the dual harness.
been modified slightly since theses pics to take some more gear.
case4.jpg

I'm thinking to get one of those wheeled trolley-dolly type bags/carts as I can't find a suitable bag. That would be far from discreet though (the reason I got the Retro, which, incidentally, holds a lot for its size).

kartracer said:
I'm thinking to get one of those wheeled trolley-dolly type bags/carts as I can't find a suitable bag. That would be far from discreet though (the reason I got the Retro, which, incidentally, holds a lot for its size).

I've got the Thinktank Airport International 2. Changed my life it has, plus you can tie it and padlock it to something and it has other combination locks. Not theft proof by any means but enough of a deterrent in my opinion.

I use the 30 mb/s ones with no problem at 8FPs for as long as I fancy on my D700. Never had a buffer issue.

I use lexar professional 400x 8gb UDMA CF cards in mine (also have their dual card reader as well) - Amazon have them in for £36 atm...

Bit the bullet and added the 35mm 1.4 to my arsenal. £1400 lighter in the wallet but I can't wait to give this bad boy a good run out.

As for CF cards, I generally use a mixture of Ultra and Extreme II/III in 4 and 8GB.

... also bitten the bullet and come home to a D700... Buying M8's just turned into a minefield, and my wife couldn't get on with MF. Pleased as punch with the new tool, and couldn't give two hoots if there's a replacement on the horizon!

danbroad said:
... also bitten the bullet and come home to a D700... Buying M8's just turned into a minefield, and my wife couldn't get on with MF. Pleased as punch with the new tool, and couldn't give two hoots if there's a replacement on the horizon!

Nice one Dan, just wait till you try high ISO stuff.
Enjoy !
I'm still amazed at how good a camera it is. I've no plans to upgrade to d800 when it arrives. It does all I need.

The forums are abuzz with the potential replacement, but here's my take: it might not happen next week, maybe September, after the supposed mirrorless announcement.

Even if it is next week, the D4 will probably get first pickings to enforce the big brother/ little brother relationship. When it does arrive, it'll probably be £2499 RRP, and remain there for the first six months at least, as no Nikon has ever been less expensive than the model it directly replaces, whether lens or body. There's a lot of wishful and fanciful thinking on the other forums at the moment... We'll see, I suppose.

Still, the D700 is all the camera I could want or need, and there's no point holding out for a replacement on the off chance; life's too short!

The forums are abuzz with the potential replacement, but here's my take: it might not happen next week, maybe September, after the supposed mirrorless announcement.

Even if it is next week, the D4 will probably get first pickings to enforce the big brother/ little brother relationship. When it does arrive, it'll probably be £2499 RRP, and remain there for the first six months at least, as no Nikon has ever been less expensive than the model it directly replaces, whether lens or body. There's a lot of wishful and fanciful thinking on the other forums at the moment... We'll see, I suppose.

Still, the D700 is all the camera I could want or need, and there's no point holding out for a replacement on the off chance; life's too short!
the d4 will be more like £3999

If the D800 is £2.5k then I'll be selling one of my D700s to fund one without doubt.

Back