Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

Last edited:
I didnt realise the update will put all your setting back to default. I think if all the update is to fix the very rare underexposed occasions, i will give it a miss. Ive got my D700 to the settings that suit me and took me a year to configure :shake:

you can save the settings its in the manual

I really wish I had a wide lens with me this week for my D700 :(

I did stick the 10-24 on my 700 though to see what it would be like :LOL:

A moody day at St.Michaels Mount by rob_mank, on Flickr

I think this was at around 19/20mm with a 10 stop and a grad filter so there was some vignetting which I gave some treatment. Although I do get some vignetting with this set up on my D90 too at around 12mm.

Has the D700 been retired ? I was looking on Jessops site tonight and couldnt see it there.

Has the D700 been retired ? I was looking on Jessops site tonight and couldnt see it there.

Not yet it hasn't:)

Before I bought mine 6 weeks ago I looked around and Jessops didn't have it on their website then either - I don't know why as every other retailer seems to stock it.

Hi Graham, briefly, I used a card reader which, unbeknown to me had a slightly bent pin, this pushed its way into the wrong hole and in doing so created a very slight groove from one hole to the other on the card. I did not know this and, when the card didn't read tried in the camera. Unfortunately the groove also guilded a pin on the camera into the wrong hole and my camera came up with a CHA error. Regrettably I tried other cards into the camera causing the same damage to the other cards. Still not realising what was going on I tried the cards into my other D700 then into my D300s. I now have 3 cameras with bent pins, which sounds expensive.

Sorry that was not too brief but that is what has happened and I am somewhat gutted.

jeff

Jeff - I just did a quick search on this and it looks like you'll need a new 'CF module' (it's a small circuit board) for each camera.

Apparently, the parts aren't expensive - e.g. around $50 in the US for a D70 module - but labour charges will obviously add quite a bit.

This chap did it himself in 1/2 an hour (on a D70) - 4th post up from bottom of this page - http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&message=40174620&changemode=1

Pic of a module here (again a D70) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-D70s-...igital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item4aa3bc537f

Last edited:
... I used a card reader which, unbeknown to me had a slightly bent pin....

I've had this with an Akasa card reader (although it didn't damage the card itself). The problem is some card readers don't have deep enough entry slots, which means the card can be pushed in on a slight angle - and that's what bends the pins.

Hi Graham, briefly, I used a card reader which, unbeknown to me had a slightly bent pin, this pushed its way into the wrong hole and in doing so created a very slight groove from one hole to the other on the card. I did not know this and, when the card didn't read tried in the camera. Unfortunately the groove also guilded a pin on the camera into the wrong hole and my camera came up with a CHA error. Regrettably I tried other cards into the camera causing the same damage to the other cards. Still not realising what was going on I tried the cards into my other D700 then into my D300s. I now have 3 cameras with bent pins, which sounds expensive.

Sorry that was not too brief but that is what has happened and I am somewhat gutted.

jeff

Oh dear. Hope the wallet damage is minimal.

Its been at low stock levels in a few shops recently - there wasn't many a few weeks ago and then seveal shops seemed to have it in - but now its back to being not available from most of the suppliers listed on camerapricebuster - listed as 'on back order'. I noticed at the end of last week it was off the Calumet site completely too. (I bought one in my local Calumet a few weeks ago and they said at the time they weren't sure if/when they'd be getting any more stock.)

Hi everyone on the D700 forum.
I have just purchased a D700 with under 7000 actuations on it.

Is it me or is the shutter release button quite stiff/heavy to press. I press it and it goes down for a start quite easily but then seems to be stiff/heavy (if thats the correct way to describe it). I have been using the D90 and the release button on this went down so easily and smoothly.

Could it be that I am still using my DX lens's, until next week,and they are slow to focus.

I just recently got hold of a D700 to go with my D3S for motorsport. I use the MB-D10 grip with an EN-EL4 battery giving me a very useful 8fps.

It has a faulty viewfinder which goes out of focus at times but I'm not really bothered about getting it fixed as the images are stunning. Perhaps one day I'll spend some cash and get it sorted.

swiftflo said:

Is it me or is the shutter release button quite stiff/heavy to press. I press it and it goes down for a start quite easily but then seems to be stiff/heavy (if thats the correct way to describe it). I have been using the D90 and the release button on this went down so easily and smoothly.

Could it be that I am still using my DX lens's, until next week,and they are slow to focus.

No. Shouldn't be hard at all. Perhaps it's set to fire only on focus confirm. Worth a check. Sorry cant remember where in the menu it is
Unlikely to be a feature of DX lenses.

Its been at low stock levels in a few shops recently - there wasn't many a few weeks ago and then seveal shops seemed to have it in - but now its back to being not available from most of the suppliers listed on camerapricebuster - listed as 'on back order'. I noticed at the end of last week it was off the Calumet site completely too. (I bought one in my local Calumet a few weeks ago and they said at the time they weren't sure if/when they'd be getting any more stock.)

It's no secret the D600 is coming out soon, Higher spec and cheaper by all accounts. Camera shops don't want to get stuck with equipment they can't shift. Ffordes have one on sale. It will probably disappear for good, it's 4 years old now that's a lifetime for digital cameras.

It's no secret the D600 is coming out soon, Higher spec and cheaper by all accounts. Camera shops don't want to get stuck with equipment they can't shift. Ffordes have one on sale. It will probably disappear for good, it's 4 years old now that's a lifetime for digital cameras.
D700 prices had started to rise again so I don't think it was a case of shops not wanting to stock it - more a case of stock being pre-ordered before it came in with customers waiting for it (certainly was the case with one retailer I spoke to.)

It may be a 4 year old camera, but its still a good one.

If D600 is that much better and cheaper and is aimed at the same market, will that impact D800 sales?

ShoeQueen said:
If D600 is that much better and cheaper and is aimed at the same market, will that impact D800 sales?

I don't think the D600 will impact the D800's sales.

By all accounts it looks to be (spec wise anyway) more of what people were expecting to be in the D700's replacement rather than what the D800 was, so it may sway more D700 owners to change than the D800 has. Plus apparently it's to be aimed at the entry level FX market.

I'll be watching closely, but I can't see myself giving up my D700!

Last edited:
ShoeQueen said:

Mmmmmm doubt it, the d800 is aimed at a different market, and you do need the best glass and alot of thought to get the best from it.

But having said that I can't see how the rumoured d400 & d600 will sit together

By all accounts it looks to be (spec wise anyway) more of what people were expecting to be in the D700's replacement rather than what the D800 was, so it may sway more D700 owners to change than the D800 has. Plus apparently it's to be aimed at the entry level FX market.

I'll be watching closely, but I can't see myself giving up my D700!
That's what I thought though I got the impression it maybe would sit more between the D300 and D700 than a direct D700 replacement.

Just bought the D700 (and pulley's to lift it)LOL.

When I use my 35mm DX lens, sold and going next week, I was getting vignetting in the corners.

35mm packed up and ready to go so I fitted my 55-200 DX VR lens on,took a shot of one of the wife's hanging baskets and cannot see any vignetting. Is this normal. If so I cannot see the point in spending money on a FX lens.

swiftflo said:
Just bought the D700 (and pulley's to lift it)LOL.

When I use my 35mm DX lens, sold and going next week, I was getting vignetting in the corners.

35mm packed up and ready to go so I fitted my 55-200 DX VR lens on,took a shot of one of the wife's hanging baskets and cannot see any vignetting. Is this normal. If so I cannot see the point in spending money on a FX lens.

Is the camera set to turn on DX mode automatically? If it is you won't see any vignetting., but will only be getting 5mp images.

Fx glass is generally better made and better quality, that's the point of buying fx lenses. Why spend over a grand on a professional camera and stick a cheap lens in front of it?

Is the camera set to turn on DX mode automatically? If it is you won't see any vignetting., but will only be getting 5mp images.

Fx glass is generally better made and better quality, that's the point of buying fx lenses. Why spend over a grand on a professional camera and stick a cheap lens in front of it?

I take in what you are saying and agree regarding the cheap lens. But I could not understand why I was getting vignetting with one lens and not the other.

I took your advice by the way and am buying the lenses you suggested to my previous queries.

I take in what you are saying and agree regarding the cheap lens. But I could not understand why I was getting vignetting with one lens and not the other.

I took your advice by the way and am buying the lenses you suggested to my previous queries.

Im not sure why you would get vignetting with one but not the other. It could be to do with the DX mode. For some reason my Sigma 70-200 forced the camera into DX mode, even though its a FX lens. If that can happen, I guess the oposite can also happen on occasion.

My initial answer to this post was that the D700 shutter release is no different to any other as I've certainly not noticed it being any stiffer. However on pressing a few different shutter releases the D700 does feel a bit stiffer from focus lock to shutter release.

John

One of the things I love about the D700 is the weight compared to many other cameras which (at the time) were nowhere near as good but heavier. That being said my standard d700 straps are still in the box. I never use the supplied straps - they aren't long enough nor comfortable over long periods. It also helps if you don't hang it around your neck.

I have a D4 now which is incredible but I wish there was a smaller body version as there was the d700 to the D3.

TCR4x4 said:

Um, because it's a brilliant little lens. I still use mine on a D700.

Back