Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

Which would be the best general purpose lens for the D700.

Yeah the 24-70mm f2.8 is the best everyday lens for it. If primes are more your thing the 35m 1.4G is pretty great too.

+1 for the 24-70. It's no lightweight though if you're carrying it round all day.

24-70 all day long. Without a doubt my most used lens because it is so versatile!

I am getting my D700 this weekend and I am looking forward to it.

Last edited:
GHP said:
I am getting my D700 this weekend and I am looking forward to it.

Great. You are gonna love it. Just because the D800 is here it doesn't make it any less capable. Still does ALL I ask of a camera.

Scottie68 said:
24-70 all day long. Without a doubt my most used lens because it is so versatile!

I bought the new 24-85 for an extended holiday trip and it has been fantastic. Much easier to carry all day than my 24-70. Only missed the f2.8 on a couple of occasions but the VR seems to help.

Love mine too even though it's well battered and has a faulty viewfinder. But hey, who cares? It's fantastic!! Might get a bit of TLC one day....

silure130 said:
I have my new D7000 and wow what an upgrade from my D3100. It feels huge. I have read the manual and need to read it again. I also like reading guides, can anyone recomend a good book I can get from Amazon.
Thanks

Are you sure you don't mean D700. You seem to have added an extra zero !

pmac said:
Im wanting to send my d700 for a service. Is nikon the best place to send it or is fixation just as good being one of there appointed repairers.

I've always sent mine to Nikon. Never had a problem, don't know whether it's any cheaper at Fixation. Wouldn't think so.

Just went to pick up my D700 :woot:
After placing a wanted ad on here, another member pointed out a couple in stock at Currys/PC World. Got it for £1190 !!
Just charging the battery now!

GHP said:
After placing a wanted ad on here, another member pointed out a couple in stock at Currys/PC World. Got it for £1190 !!

That my friend is a bargain. Nice one !!

(y)

Stephen white said:
Which currys /pc world..if you don't mind me asking? Did they have many in stock? Steve w.

I got mine from New Malden but it was the last one.

When I owned the D50 or the D90 and I connected the camera by cable to my computer it automatically opened "iphoto" and asked if I wanted to DL the photo's and delete them off the camera.

I now have a D700 and when I connected this to my computer nothing happened. I had to connect my card reader up, insert the CF card into this or I could open up "Image Capture" and load from this.

Is this a problem or should I be able to connect the D700 by cable and it open up iphoto.

swiftflo said:
When I owned the D50 or the D90 and I connected the camera by cable to my computer it automatically opened "iphoto" and asked if I wanted to DL the photo's and delete them off the camera.

I now have a D700 and when I connected this to my computer nothing happened. I had to connect my card reader up, insert the CF card into this or I could open up "Image Capture" and load from this.

Is this a problem or should I be able to connect the D700 by cable and it open up iphoto.

I believe that you need the Nikon software installed on your computer in orderto upload your images directly from the CF while n the camera. i have a D700 and prefer to usedafirewirecard reader. Also, uploading directly from the camera, if you went through a large number of images in the shoot, exhausts the camera battery. In any case, remember to only format the CF in camera.

hani7up said:
I believe that you need the Nikon software installed on your computer in orderto upload your images directly from the CF while n the camera. i have a D700 and prefer to usedafirewirecard reader. Also, uploading directly from the camera, if you went through a large number of images in the shoot, exhausts the camera battery. In any case, remember to only format the CF in camera.

Just use a card reader. And as mentioned remember to format the card in camera. Don't let iPhoto do it for you.

I dont have any Nikon software on my mac, just use LR and I import straight from camera.

It just picks it up as a drive.

Having heard great things about noise management and low-light capabilities I upgraded to a D700 from my D300 which had done 95k actuations. Test shots brought a grin to my face and the high-ISO snaps looked like a big step forward.

Then I went on a night shoot (my normal environment) and spent 10 hours, a tank of fuel and several locations chasing the Milky Way. All seemed OK out and about but loading the pics onto my Mac has revealed horrendous prevalence of hot pixels across the whole frame. 100% crop shown below - the files are unusable without a lot of post-work or pixel mapping.

D700 hot pixels

I've never seen anything like this. A file from my D300 using comparable (but admittedly not identical) settings shows a single hot pixel in the same size of crop.

How do others of you find the D700 for long exposures? Long exposure noise reduction seems to be a common suggestion on various fora but isn't really an option for a lot of the work I do; besides, I last used in-camera LENR in 2008 and to have to switch it on now would be a massive retro-step.

My only hope is that upgrading the firmware (it's still on A1.00 and B1.00) will have a positive impact...

Anyone got any similar experience with long exposures on the D700? How did you prevent hot pixels, or handle them in PP?

first time i have heard of this problem,maybe i am lucky as its never happened to mine?

Andrew - I don't think a firmware update will do anything to solve that.

Thanks for the links - I saw some of those forum posts and others. One thing I noticed was that there's an age bias to posts about this issue, with most posts being from two or three years back when the body was new - that's what made me wonder if it was a problem that had been fixed by firmware and thus disappeared over time.

From the few other pics I've seen around the net, my copy does seem to be at the extreme end. Typical, for a body that was bought to spend its life shooting long exposures...

Title says it all. Have switched on D700 this morning and can not go beyond x250 in either S or M mode. No problem in A mode.

Problem is, I do not know where this x250 came from - other than it changes when I change the flash sync speed - nor do I know how to switch it off.

Any help would be super lovely. I have consulted the manual and searched the forums here but to no avail

Cheers

Spooks

Title says it all. Have switched on D700 this morning and can not go beyond x250 in either S or M mode. No problem in A mode.

Problem is, I do not know where this x250 came from - other than it changes when I change the flash sync speed - nor do I know how to switch it off.

Any help would be super lovely. I have consulted the manual and searched the forums here but to no avail

Cheers

Spooks

Have a look at the last post on this page

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&message=37189159&changemode=1

Thanks for the advice and link. Problem seems to be solved for now

Anyone using the D700 for wildlife?

My wife has been using my D300s and is interested in a full frame camera. Between us we have a 300 f2.8 and the 500 f4 for wildlife.

Well after a lot of thinking, deliberating and negociating (with the financial controller) I am now the owner of a D700 :banana: This will be used as a main camera with the D300 as a backup/ 2nd body when needed. Can't wait to get my hands on it tonight and see what it can do!!

Nick

Back