Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

Well after a lot of thinking, deliberating and negociating (with the financial controller) I am now the owner of a D700 :banana: This will be used as a main camera with the D300 as a backup/ 2nd body when needed. Can't wait to get my hands on it tonight and see what it can do!!

Nick

Nice one Nick.

Its a fantastic bit of kit. Enjoy (y)

Anyone using the D700 for wildlife?

Yes, I do.

The D300 rarely gets a look in, the added crop factor is irrelevant, the images from the D700 are cleaner, crisper and have more punch.

It focuses quicker, the larger viewfinder, and best of all clean ISO6400 make it my preferred body for wildlife.

You'll love it Nick!! :D

Nice one Nick.

Its a fantastic bit of kit. Enjoy (y)

Cheers guys. I have been second shooting a few weddings with Slimbert and Ryanboy this year and realsied the ISO limits of my D300 so when talking to Ryan and discussing upgrades the D700 was the obvious choice. Thankfully Ryan gaveme first dibs on his yesterday when he decided to upgrade (y). Accoring to the Financial Controller I need to have paid back the 'loan' by next Christmas so will see what I can do :cautious:

I've not had my D700 long but it blows my D7000 out of the water at high iso's,its just much nicer to handle and shoot with as well, hoping to put it properly through its paces on holiday next month, mind you if I'm having to shoot at high iso's then the weather probably wont be doing what it should be!

The wired cable release for my D700 needs replacing. I am looking at a wireless version but need to confirm something.

The wireless receiver normally sits on the hot shoe connection whilst screwed into the socket. As I want to be able to use it in conjunction with a wireless trigger for studio lights, which will need to be on the hot shoe, I am assuming it will be OK to allow the shutter release receiver to dangle at the side? Will be on a tripod so not in my way.

I'm missing mine already and will definitely buy another. I think it's the best pound for pound DSLR ever made.

Yes, I do.

The D300 rarely gets a look in, the added crop factor is irrelevant, the images from the D700 are cleaner, crisper and have more punch.

It focuses quicker, the larger viewfinder, and best of all clean ISO6400 make it my preferred body for wildlife.

Thanks for all the help Martyn.

How do you check currys / pcworld stock ? Can't see a d700 on their website :shrug:

You can't mate. It can only be done on their computer system in store. I got mine also for 1190 brand new! great camera! Im glad I didn't wait for the D600 now seeing the price etc. Not saying thats its by any stretch a bad camera and Im sure its technical image quality is as good if not better

Lol great service from PC Worlds sales staff(not!) I rang to check if any were in stock.... yep, she said, we have two...one at £699 on special offer and one at £889. "Mmmm are you sure they're not the D7000?" I said,..........nope definitely the D700 she replied........so she put me through to the store..........guess what............I'm still cameraless if thats a clue! Why oh why can't people get their facts right? Just wasted money on a 0844 call. That brings me to another moan.......how come when my 0845 calls are free, a lot of businesses change to 0844 numbers.......oh and what about.............................
JohnyT

Last edited:
errrmmmm perhaps theres no D700 stock left.

Yep maybe your right...still, wish they were that cheap :)
Oh ..forgot to add....I did check afterwards online on the PC World site and the prices quoted were for the D7000.
So if anyone can link me to where I can get a new one for £1190 like others above have I would be most grateful ,Ta :)
JohnyT

Last edited:
Yep maybe your right...still, wish they were that cheap :)
Oh ..forgot to add....I did check afterwards online on the PC World site and the prices quoted were for the D7000.
So if anyone can link me to where I can get a new one for £1190 like others above have I would be most grateful ,Ta :)
JohnyT

You won't they are all gone.

Can anyone please advise what the different battery setups do to the FPS count when using the normal D700 battery, the D3s battery or rechargeables?

FiestaRed said:
Can anyone please advise what the different battery setups do to the FPS count when using the normal D700 battery, the D3s battery or rechargeables?

6 fps with the standard battery, 8 fps with everything else...

Am now the owner of a D700 and WOW!! Quite impressed with playing at 1600 and 3200 ISO compared to my D300. A few things I am not so keen on - the top display seems smaller, and the thumb dial is not as nice imo but IQ wise seems very good. Why did I wait so long!! A few questions though?

- What does vignette control do (control vignettes obviously but didnt have this on D300)
- Focus Tracking with Lock on - difference between short, medium and long?
- Am on firmware a 1.03 and b 1.02 - is this up to date and any reasons to or not to upgrade?
- Have a speck of dust in viewfinder, no evidence of this in images, even taking a pic of the white wall, and when i close the viewfinder shutter/curtain you cant see it, so seems to be around there. Any way to get rid of this?

Last edited:
Am now the owner of a D700 and WOW!! Quite impressed with playing at 1600 and 3200 ISO compared to my D300. A few things I am not so keen on - the top display seems smaller, and the thumb dial is not as nice imo but IQ wise seems very good. Why did I wait so long!! A few questions though?

- What does vignette control do (control vignettes obviously but didnt have this on D300)
- Am on firmware a 1.03 and b 1.02 - is this up to date and any reasons to or not to upgrade?
- Have a speck of dust in viewfinder, no evidence of this in images, even taking a pic of the white wall, and when i close the viewfinder shutter/curtain you cant see it, so seems to be around there. Any way to get rid of this?
vignette control does what it says, it lightens up the corners where your most likely to get vignetting, not on the d300 as it has got a full frame sensor.

focus tracking is on the d300 to and just means that if you set it on and focus on something then move and something get in the way the focus wont change depending on how long the subject obstructs you and what you have set.

spec of dust have you unscreawed the little round eye piece and cleaned it, shut the curtain on the eye piece then remove the rubber bit.

5557877143_9c5b9b3e11.jpg

Cheers Scott, didnt realise the piece came off, dust all gone now!

Are GGS covers easy to remove?

cambsno said:

Try and pick up a DK1/DK19 eyepiece combo for it (y)

Flash In The Pan said:
Try and pick up a DK1/DK19 eyepiece combo for it (y)

I have this on mine but would prefer standard so happy to do a straight swap if anybody fancies it?

I've just moved up to a D700 after having used the D300s for quite some time.

I've set the D700 with the same settings that I used on my D300s. What is the best way to save/store these settings just in case there is ever a problem with the camera?

I have this on mine but would prefer standard so happy to do a straight swap if anybody fancies it?

Hi Graham,
I've been thinking about using this as my eyes are getting old !
I'd be up for a swap if you want to.
Cheers,
Gary.

I've just moved up to a D700 after having used the D300s for quite some time.

I've set the D700 with the same settings that I used on my D300s. What is the best way to save/store these settings just in case there is ever a problem with the camera?

Hi Mike.
As far as I know, there is no way to "export" settings made in the ABCD menus, although if I am wrong, I would be happy to be corrected, as I have 4 different sets of settings, (Portrait, Sport, Studio, & Other), which would be a pain to re-programme if ever I had to do a reset.

I have taken them of using a credit card sliding it underneath and then using meths to get resudue of, make sure you dont crack the glass on the ggs else it will scratch the lcd i have done this before and thats why i hate them, acmaxx are the best.

Hi Mike.
As far as I know, there is no way to "export" settings made in the ABCD menus, although if I am wrong, I would be happy to be corrected, as I have 4 different sets of settings, (Portrait, Sport, Studio, & Other), which would be a pain to re-programme if ever I had to do a reset.

Can this not be done with a CF card ?

Yes - the trick is to heat up the edges to soften the adhesive strip.

Not with a blow torch though :D

I can't see why not - a blow torch will definitely do the trick :LOL:

:eek: mmmmmmm and unstick anything else on the body as well.....:bonk:

I can't see why not - a blow torch will definitely do the trick :LOL:

Seriously though - here's how I did it.

• Take lens off & put body cap on.
  • Lay camera face down on a clean towel on a table.
  • Get a hairdryer with a nozzle attachment.
  • Use on medium heat & warm up perimeter of GGS for 2 mins ish.
  • Get an assistant to keep applying heat around perimeter.
  • Gently lift left end of GGS with fingernail - lift just enough to separate from adhesive & slide a small piece of paper under released end (to stop it re-attaching).
  • Keep applying heat & use fingernail to gently lift bottom edge and the right end.
Once you've got 3 sides released, the 4th is easy. The trick is to keep applying heat (don't overdo it though) - and take your time. Most of the adhesive can be removed from the LCD by gently 'rolling' it with your finger.

Last edited:

Whats wrong with the GGS cover ? they are great protection

that's because the FX prism is wider than the DX prism on the D300.

I wondered this when i first had my D700, but never thought much about it after using it, something else i've learnt, thanks :)

Hi Mike.

Thanks for all the help.

It seems it can be done through the main menu in Save/Load Settings on the Set Up menu. Saving your settings to a small CF card and then loading them back in the camera whenever you need them.

I'll let you know how I did it when I can manage to work it all out for myself.

Been used to the plastic removable cover on the D300 and seems weird not having it!

I'm the opposite with mine as I have always fitted a GGS screen protector to my bodies instead of the cover supplied...

:thinking: Even when I have thought about using the cover it always seemed somehow to get scratched before getting to the camera :confused:

I even got one attached to my SB600 as well... Sorry I must be sad-O :coat:

Hi Mike.

Can this not be done with a CF card ?

What I learned from a Nikon in the US user regarding saving the settings:

"In the root of the card, when using a card reader (MTP mode might differ!) you will see a file named:
NCSETUP4.BIN and another named NIKON001.DSC - I suspect the first one is the important one in this regard. Save these in the same style as you do with your images, i.e. BACKUP."

Hope this helps, I'm going to give it a try when I've bought a decent card reader. I always download from the body.

Back