Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

OP
OP
TG.
Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
Yes I know what you mean Pete, just got myself Tamron 45mm 1.8 VC on Thursday, I was looking to go out today to have a play and maybe do a bit of street photography, but bloody raining Grrr :)

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I would agree Pete it was one of Nikons finest cameras but I'm finding it hard to see why you can't get the same image quality from the D810, the images from that I find phenomenal, I'm thinking of selling my D700 and going for a D750 as I would love one for weddings, but I must admit I'm finding it hard to let go of the D700. Maybe I will find a buyer here :LOL:
I have one of each. The best of both worlds.

Name
Jacques
Edit My Images
Yes
Bought a D700 from Wex that came with 2 batteries that are both on their last legs. Taking photos seems fine, but enabling Live View sucks them dry in less than a minute.

Contacted Wex this afternoon, but they don't really care to exchange batteries and instead asked me to send the whole lot back for a refund.

Do you guys just use genuine batteries or could someone here recommend a good affordable 3rd party battery?

Thanks for reading through my semi rant.. :)

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I did have some 3rd party ones from my D300 days, but after one packed in (when supposedly full) at a semi important time I vowed to just use genuines from then on. The genuine ones weren’t cheap but they were good! I’m actually going to be putting my genuine ones up for sale soon as I no longer need them since moving to D750, just haven’t got round to doing it yet :)

Name
Jacques
Edit My Images
Yes
I did have some 3rd party ones from my D300 days, but after one packed in (when supposedly full) at a semi important time I vowed to just use genuines from then on. The genuine ones weren’t cheap but they were good! I’m actually going to be putting my genuine ones up for sale soon as I no longer need them since moving to D750, just haven’t got round to doing it yet :)
Let me know when you do..

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
This topic is way too far down the pages! My D750 is having a break over the summer so the D700 is seeing more use. Is no one else still using theirs? It's time to bring this back up to the front page.

Here's a photo taken from a day out at Lightning Lakes campground in Manning Park, BC. The far mountain is haze due to a forest fire in the park. Prior to our walkabout we'd had a few ash sprinkles.

Rainbow Bridge

by Paul, on Flickr

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
So how do the two compare. Just recently bought a D750 but always quite fancied a D700.

I’m guessing the files from the 700 are a little different to the 750.
You're probably asking the worst person in the world in this respect. The 750, obviously, has larger files so it's much easier to crop in. The 700 does really well with portraiture. Something about it's sensor that just makes the photos pop. The 750's files are good too but seem more technical and less artistic. It probably has something to do with larger and less photo sites on the sensor. I may not be expressing myself well; like I said, the worst person to ask.

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
You're probably asking the worst person in the world in this respect. The 750, obviously, has larger files so it's much easier to crop in. The 700 does really well with portraiture. Something about it's sensor that just makes the photos pop. The 750's files are good too but seem more technical and less artistic. It probably has something to do with larger and less photo sites on the sensor. I may not be expressing myself well; like I said, the worst person to ask.
That’s cool. There’s definitely something different about those old sensors now - even the venerable old D70 my Daughter totes has lovely colours providing you don’t stray above ISO200.

Maybe a bit of a heart over head idea getting hold of one but one day maybe.

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I’ve just picked up a D700 in the classifieds. It’s has quite a high shutter at 132k but I shouldn’t be putting too much on it as a second body. Main use is going to be as a remote camera for wide angle wildlife stuff but maybe as a second body option at times too. I was originally thinking of a D3xxx or D5xxx series camera but there is just something about full frame, and the D700 maybe old now but should still give good images and nice shallow DoF. Hopefully it should fit well being the same body size as the D810 I currently use as my main body.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
That’s cool. There’s definitely something different about those old sensors now - even the venerable old D70 my Daughter totes has lovely colours providing you don’t stray above ISO200.

Maybe a bit of a heart over head idea getting hold of one but one day maybe.
I don't think you'd go wrong in getting a D700. The sensor is magical.

I’ve just picked up a D700 in the classifieds. It’s has quite a high shutter at 132k but I shouldn’t be putting too much on it as a second body. Main use is going to be as a remote camera for wide angle wildlife stuff but maybe as a second body option at times too. I was originally thinking of a D3xxx or D5xxx series camera but there is just something about full frame, and the D700 maybe old now but should still give good images and nice shallow DoF. Hopefully it should fit well being the same body size as the D810 I currently use as my main body.
The D700 may be old but it can keep up with the new kids on the block in many respects.