Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

Yes I know what you mean Pete, just got myself Tamron 45mm 1.8 VC on Thursday, I was looking to go out today to have a play and maybe do a bit of street photography, but bloody raining Grrr :)

I would agree Pete it was one of Nikons finest cameras but I'm finding it hard to see why you can't get the same image quality from the D810, the images from that I find phenomenal, I'm thinking of selling my D700 and going for a D750 as I would love one for weddings, but I must admit I'm finding it hard to let go of the D700. Maybe I will find a buyer here :LOL:

I have one of each. The best of both worlds.

Just so im sure.
Its not possible in bracketing to use live view and CL is it?
I would need to fire single shots yes?
Thanks

Bought a D700 from Wex that came with 2 batteries that are both on their last legs. Taking photos seems fine, but enabling Live View sucks them dry in less than a minute.

Contacted Wex this afternoon, but they don't really care to exchange batteries and instead asked me to send the whole lot back for a refund.

Do you guys just use genuine batteries or could someone here recommend a good affordable 3rd party battery?

Thanks for reading through my semi rant.. :)

I did have some 3rd party ones from my D300 days, but after one packed in (when supposedly full) at a semi important time I vowed to just use genuines from then on. The genuine ones weren’t cheap but they were good! I’m actually going to be putting my genuine ones up for sale soon as I no longer need them since moving to D750, just haven’t got round to doing it yet :)

I did have some 3rd party ones from my D300 days, but after one packed in (when supposedly full) at a semi important time I vowed to just use genuines from then on. The genuine ones weren’t cheap but they were good! I’m actually going to be putting my genuine ones up for sale soon as I no longer need them since moving to D750, just haven’t got round to doing it yet :)
Let me know when you do..

I just purchased a D700 with 6.5 K from new :D:nikon:

You didn't buy that off eBay did you the other day? a guy called Andrew/Andy?

It came with a grip, 3 or 4 batteries and some memory cards.

Last edited:
You didn't buy that off eBay did you the other day? a guy called Andrew/Andy?

It came with a grip, 3 or 4 batteries and some memory cards.

No it came from a forum member :cool:

This topic is way too far down the pages! My D750 is having a break over the summer so the D700 is seeing more use. Is no one else still using theirs? It's time to bring this back up to the front page.

Here's a photo taken from a day out at Lightning Lakes campground in Manning Park, BC. The far mountain is haze due to a forest fire in the park. Prior to our walkabout we'd had a few ash sprinkles.

Rainbow Bridge
by Paul, on Flickr

So how do the two compare. Just recently bought a D750 but always quite fancied a D700.

I’m guessing the files from the 700 are a little different to the 750.

You're probably asking the worst person in the world in this respect. The 750, obviously, has larger files so it's much easier to crop in. The 700 does really well with portraiture. Something about it's sensor that just makes the photos pop. The 750's files are good too but seem more technical and less artistic. It probably has something to do with larger and less photo sites on the sensor. I may not be expressing myself well; like I said, the worst person to ask.

You're probably asking the worst person in the world in this respect. The 750, obviously, has larger files so it's much easier to crop in. The 700 does really well with portraiture. Something about it's sensor that just makes the photos pop. The 750's files are good too but seem more technical and less artistic. It probably has something to do with larger and less photo sites on the sensor. I may not be expressing myself well; like I said, the worst person to ask.

That’s cool. There’s definitely something different about those old sensors now - even the venerable old D70 my Daughter totes has lovely colours providing you don’t stray above ISO200.

Maybe a bit of a heart over head idea getting hold of one but one day maybe.

I’ve just picked up a D700 in the classifieds. It’s has quite a high shutter at 132k but I shouldn’t be putting too much on it as a second body. Main use is going to be as a remote camera for wide angle wildlife stuff but maybe as a second body option at times too. I was originally thinking of a D3xxx or D5xxx series camera but there is just something about full frame, and the D700 maybe old now but should still give good images and nice shallow DoF. Hopefully it should fit well being the same body size as the D810 I currently use as my main body.

That’s cool. There’s definitely something different about those old sensors now - even the venerable old D70 my Daughter totes has lovely colours providing you don’t stray above ISO200.

Maybe a bit of a heart over head idea getting hold of one but one day maybe.

I don't think you'd go wrong in getting a D700. The sensor is magical.

I’ve just picked up a D700 in the classifieds. It’s has quite a high shutter at 132k but I shouldn’t be putting too much on it as a second body. Main use is going to be as a remote camera for wide angle wildlife stuff but maybe as a second body option at times too. I was originally thinking of a D3xxx or D5xxx series camera but there is just something about full frame, and the D700 maybe old now but should still give good images and nice shallow DoF. Hopefully it should fit well being the same body size as the D810 I currently use as my main body.

The D700 may be old but it can keep up with the new kids on the block in many respects.

Finally picked up a D700 - should be with me in a few days. What CF cards are recommended. I usually use Lexar 32gb SD cards but my CF cards are very much smaller than that - and old!

Anything I should look out for with regards to size etc.

well done Dave , hope you love it long time :cool::nikon:

Cheers. Looking forward to trying out a legend. :LOL:

Nope, never had a D700 before. Had a 5D Mark 1 a few years ago which I loved!

Thanks, is 16gb as big as you can fit in a D700?

Hi Dave,

I'm using Sandisk 32GB Cards on mine. 120 MB/s - UDMA7. They cope with the 8 frames per second with the grip etc no problem.

Dougie.

Over the years I've had and then sold around 4 or 5 D700 bodies. I just can't help going back to it, just got myself another with only 10.5k on the shutter in imaculate condition. It just feels so easy to use, everything is where I expect it to be and the files that come out of it...... oooh!

I might see if I can hang on to this one.

Must admit I'm loving mine. Love the files - maybe very slightly noisier than my D750 but other than that loving it! Not sure I'll part with it easily.

Must admit I'm loving mine. Love the files - maybe very slightly noisier than my D750 but other than that loving it! Not sure I'll part with it easily.
I've got the D750 too but there's just something about the D700 that sets it apart. It's a beast of a camera and fantastic value at the moment considering what I paid for a once premium body.

After taking the D700 out with me all day today on walks around Scarborough and Filey I now remember why I sold the other ones I had. God it's a heavy brick to lug around lol.

No plastic here then , solid construction , bit of a legend in the camera world , Time for some Jym workouts ?

Try putting a Sigma 35 1.4 on one reckon it almost doubles the weight.

Still the outputs worth it!

Back