Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

hmm this is strange, I took out the battery in the camera and it works perfectly, but replaced it again and its back to flicking on and off....

do you think it could have anything to do with the 2nd battery being non Nikon?

never had a problem with the battery in the year I used it with my D90 and it works fine in the camera on its own...

hmm this is strange, I took out the battery in the camera and it works perfectly, but replaced it again and its back to flicking on and off....

do you think it could have anything to do with the 2nd battery being non Nikon?

never had a problem with the battery in the year I used it with my D90 and it works fine in the camera on its own...

Was the 2nd battery the one in the camera? If it's non-Nikon, that's likely to be the problem. Something isn't making contact properly.

i had the en-el3 genuine Nikon in the grip and the no brand in the camera + camera set to use grip battery first = problem.

just changed it to no brand in the grip and genuine Nikon in the camera + camera set to use grip first = NO problem.

Might be time to invest in another genuine Nikon battery then and it's not a problem with the grip....

Just found it weird that it's set to grip first so that's why I put the genuine in the grip but that made the problem...

Anyway will test it for a bit like this and see about a new 2nd genuine.

Thanks for your help!

Just found it weird that it's set to grip first so that's why I put the genuine in the grip but that made the problem...

Anyway will test it for a bit like this and see about a new 2nd genuine.

Thanks for your help!

There you go - an original Nikon MB-D10 to be next on your list :LOL: :p

Ok so i just got my lovely new D700 with 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 and the camera just feels right in my mucky paws. Just need to save up for a grip now that i am skint lol.

Was itching to take it out and this is the first pic with the 70-200 and boy am i loving this combo

Last edited:
cheers dewd looks like i will get a grip sooner than later lol without a grip the D700 and 70-200 feels a bit top heavy but nothing to bad am sure within a few days i will be used to it :)

I feel like a kid on christmas eve. My new D700 is due to arrive tomorrow. I cant wait!!

:woot: & its my birthday tomorrow as well - so am happy for you as well - congrats & welcome to the club :D :LOL:

Got my spare battery for the grip and 2 8Gb CF cards today so gonna take them and my 50mm into work for a play at lunch (if it turns up before that is)

Sent from my iPhone using TP Forums

Just rediscovered how much fun it is to shoot with a 50mm on the D700. After using it gripped with The Beast it feels like a compact with the 50 sans grip. Love it.

Just rediscovered how much fun it is to shoot with a 50mm on the D700. After using it gripped with The Beast it feels like a compact with the 50 sans grip. Love it.

Then have the shock when the beast goes back on :LOL:

But whatever you do Trev - dont drop it when you do due to the weight difference... :p

Last edited:
Just had a quick play at lunch :eek: ramped it up to iso 3200. Where was the noise? lol

Sent from my iPhone using TP Forums

Recently bought the D700 after using a D300s so menus, etc much the same. My question is regarding image size. Why is the image the same size as out of my D300s - 18x12 at 240dpi? Image size set to L,image area FX, using an 85mm f/1.8 lens which shows fx 42x28 in bottom right of preview screen............am I missing somthing?

The image size should be slightly smaller than your D300s, as the D700 has slightly less pixels.

Anyone using the 14-24mm on the D700? Thoughts about it? I was thinking of buying it and completing the 'trinity', but then was thinking of getting rid of the 70-200 for a 200mm f/2. Can't really decide.

i have just brought the Mastering the Nikon D700 book, i have a midweek trip to center parcs next monday so hopefully it will teach me a few new things to amuse me.

Y15HAL said:
On the lookout for one of these bad boys!

So should be having one soon, with any luck! :D

Moving up from the D90!

Nice camera, I have a D3 and picked up a D700 recently to replace a D300 as second camera. I'm actually starting to use the D700 more often when I don't want to carry the bigger D3.

i would love to go FF one day, but i've only had my d90 for a few months so can't really justify it just now (even as a 30th bday pressie for myself!)..think i may have to wait for the d800.... :)

i would love to go FF one day, but i've only had my d90 for a few months so can't really justify it just now (even as a 30th bday pressie for myself!)..think i may have to wait for the d800.... :)

For when you retire then at 65 I take it :p :LOL:

I think they are going up not down at the mo, with all of the terrible trouble in Japan.

For those that don't already know, the factory making the D3s/x and working on the D700 replacement was badly affected by the tsunami and earthquakes. As far as I'm aware they haven't yet managed to resume production and/or development, I think there are still more important things to deal with in Japan.

New from HDEW. I Know it's a grey import but it comes with a 3rd party 3 year warrantee. I got the body and grip for £1698 all in.

Credit card, lol

Both me and Scott have had very good service from HDEW and to be honest At £1575 for a new body its still a good price compared to 2nd hand with no comeback!

Back