Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

I recently sold my D750 as after a painful arm operation I felt my days of lugging heavy kit around were over. So, for the first time in 30 years I found myself without a Nikon body. I sold the D750 with a newish 24-85 lens(New togger who only wanted one lens) and the plot was to sell my bag of Nikon glass at a later date. Having spent a few years getting my lenses together, I found I did not actually want to part with them so needed another body as the glass is useless without. No rush with this as I have several high-end compacts and I have not forgotten my original reason for selling the D750.
Behold and lo, it came about that a chap I know on another forum had just bought himself a D810 and was musing with some understandable reluctance over parting with his D700. To cut to the chase, the deal was agreed and this (sub 20K SC) D700 arrived yesterday! Body and winder boxed with 3 Newish Nikon batteries and all of the bits, boxes and papers, a minty copy of Darrell Young’s ‘Mastering the D700’ and ( as I expected from what I know of this guy) all the kit in really excellent condition! I stuck my almost new 18-35 on and had a quick play with it last night and everything is fine. Sod the painful arm, I love the build quality of this D700 already and now a semblance of order is restored to my DSLR kit at minimal cost I am a happy bunny! Sorry to ramble on,:exit:just sharing a story! :wave:

I bought my D700 used with over 400k shutter actuations. I presume it had a new shutter at some stage but don’t know this for sure. It certainly looks worn and I have replaced the rubber on the body although I could have managed without doing this. It works perfectly and I do prefer the image quality over the D300S and if truth be told I am happier using it than the D600.

Did anyone have the d700 and d300 at the same time.

I had both but at different times and I swear the d300 at very low ISO has that same something very pleasant about the images.

Yes I still have them both 2x D300 and a D700 although I haven't use them for well over a year now along with my D3 I can't bring myslf to part with any of them lol

I recently sold my D750 as after a painful arm operation I felt my days of lugging heavy kit around were over. So, for the first time in 30 years I found myself without a Nikon body. I sold the D750 with a newish 24-85 lens(New togger who only wanted one lens) and the plot was to sell my bag of Nikon glass at a later date. Having spent a few years getting my lenses together, I found I did not actually want to part with them so needed another body as the glass is useless without. No rush with this as I have several high-end compacts and I have not forgotten my original reason for selling the D750.
Behold and lo, it came about that a chap I know on another forum had just bought himself a D810 and was musing with some understandable reluctance over parting with his D700. To cut to the chase, the deal was agreed and this (sub 20K SC) D700 arrived yesterday! Body and winder boxed with 3 Newish Nikon batteries and all of the bits, boxes and papers, a minty copy of Darrell Young’s ‘Mastering the D700’ and ( as I expected from what I know of this guy) all the kit in really excellent condition! I stuck my almost new 18-35 on and had a quick play with it last night and everything is fine. Sod the painful arm, I love the build quality of this D700 already and now a semblance of order is restored to my DSLR kit at minimal cost I am a happy bunny! Sorry to ramble on,:exit:just sharing a story! :wave:

Im sure you will fall in love with it
It really is a fantastic bit of kit that appears to get the best out of any piece of glass you fit to it.
I have found a monopod to be of great assistance with my heavier gear and it doubles up as a walking stick to help me get around :)
I can't see me ever Parting with my D3 D700 or pair of D300 they still produce super quality images. and files the fraction of the D810 files a ++ for me,

F1.2 i bought mine from the same guy great piece of kit..ive seen one near me under 2k shots for approx 550 im very tempted..[emoji16][emoji16]

F1.2 i bought mine from the same guy great piece of kit..ive seen one near me under 2k shots for approx 550 im very tempted..[emoji16][emoji16]

Jump in quick they are no longer in production

Crikey, that was a surprise. This isn't a thread I've visited previously, but scrolling through the forum in the app, completely out of the blue I saw a picture of my niece.

rps20180404_224832.jpg

Turns out that it isn't actually her, just somebody who looks exactly like her. Still a surprise though!

Hello, I'm new here, so this is my first post.

I bought a D700 body to go with the rest of my Nikon kit. Was desperate to get a full frame body to go with my lenses and F4s (that's multiple F4 bodies). I bought the last body in the country after they introduced the 750 or 850 (whatever came next), so that's a while ago.

I use primes. 28, 35, 50, 85, 135, 300. I found it pretty hard to get used to all the bells and whistles and so I gave up. I just use it in manual or aperture priority. Like the F4 I can tell instantly when I'm in focus using the indicators, but it's not so bright to the eye, so I tend to focus on the screen less. I tend to use the spot exposure and focusing sensors. I like to use a monopod - even a light one -

I also like the fact that I don't have to annoy my family deving my negs in the bathroom and that I don't have to spend ages spotting images, especially as I like to shoot night interiors wide open at a 30th!

Until they stopped processing film at Costco, I was still shooting mainly film and then post-processing in Lightroom - I've always sent my images out for printing. Now, I've been making good use of my phone and enjoying some of the apps I encounter which offer me new ways of telling a story, but I still like to take the camera along to things (it helps me to avoid talking to people if I get shy).

Here's something I took this afternoon:

Helen's 60th 07.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, I'm new here, so this is my first post. I bought a D700 body to go with the rest of my Nikon kit. Was desperate to get a full frame body to go with my lenses and F4s (that's multiple F4 bodies). I bought the last body in the country after they introduced the 750 or 850 (whatever came next), so that's a while ago. I found it pretty hard to get used to all the bells and whistles and so I gave up. I just use it in manual or aperture priority. I like the fact that I don't have to annoy my family deving my negs in the bathroom and that I don't have to spend ages spotting images, especially as I like to shoot night interiors wide open at a 30th!

Until they stopped processing film at Costco, I was still shooting mainly film and then post-processing in Lightroom - I've always sent my images out for printing. Now, I've been making good use of my phone and enjoying some of the apps I encounter which offer me new ways of telling a story, but I still like to take the camera along to things (it helps me to avoid talking to people if I get shy).

Here's something I took this afternoon:

View attachment 123932

Love your story. Great picture.

Love your story. Great picture.

Thanks Trevor, I've updated the 'story' a bit. As well as the D700, I still use my IIIf Leica and a MPP 5x4. But since the cost of processing and printing have become prohibitive and I've less time to take pictures, I've been spending more time working with negs from earlier periods. It's nice to see stuff I shot 40 years ago again :)

Absolutely love that it doesn't do video,always irritated me on all other cameras that it was something I didn't want included,wonderful

Last edited:
Absolutely love that it doesn't do video,always irritated me on all other cameras that it was something I didn't want included,wonderful

Ha! It’s the something I would have liked. I say that not knowing what the quality of video is on its close relatives, but it must be better than my iPhone and (hopefully) I’d have manual exposure and focussing.

Hi Richard,do you find the 35mm different enough from the 50mm to warrant its purchase ?

Yes, unquestionably. Completely different. I’ll take a couple of shots to illustrate and stick them up later.

I may be a bit idiosyncratic about this (I have no idea, but I see that there are lots of zoom lens users), but, it seems to me, that the different focus lengths developed in part as an attempt to produce a specific photographic, visual vocabulary. I’m talking here about the positioning of the subject within the frame and the changing relationship it then has with its surroundings.

The effects of different focal lengths, isn’t the same as simply moving closer or further away from the subject, because of the curvature of the lens.

Think about it in these terms. You are making a portrait of someone, how are you going to say something about them with the image? Perhaps you think the astonishing wrinkles and crevices of their face tell the story; use an 85 and fill the frame with their face. Or, maybe you feel the myriad woodworking tools they have on the bench and shelves behind them tell it? Use a 35.

Hope that helps.

Richard

Last edited:
D700 firmware update ?

Anyone know why you have dual A and B ?

My A is 1.04
and my B is 1.03
How do I find out if these are up to date please ? :rolleyes:

Thanks both :D

Crikey, that was a surprise. This isn't a thread I've visited previously, but scrolling through the forum in the app, completely out of the blue I saw a picture of my niece.

View attachment 123697

Turns out that it isn't actually her, just somebody who looks exactly like her. Still a surprise though!

You are a lucky man to have such a beautiful niece !
But this is my beautiful granddaughter Jodi Leigh
And I feel blessed to have her in my life !

going to take me a bit of time to get used to the AF options etc after not having the D7200 long enough to explore them and mainly using the d3300.

As Al mentioned on his 5300 it seems when focus is found the light goes out on the AF point/s whereas the d3300 stayed lit, but I can see from exploring the different options what a world of difference
in the options available.

I had the D700 and can honestly put my hand on my heart and say, it is Nikons finest body EVER, yes I now own a D810 but I am struggling to get anywhere near the IQ the 700 gives, it will come as others have shown in other threads, but the D700 just oozes quality every time you use one, this was my last shot before I sold it and by god I wish I hadn't sold it.

DSC_7136_zpsafgcymey.jpg

Very nice

I had the D700 and can honestly put my hand on my heart and say, it is Nikons finest body EVER, yes I now own a D810 but I am struggling to get anywhere near the IQ the 700 gives

I would agree Pete it was one of Nikons finest cameras but I'm finding it hard to see why you can't get the same image quality from the D810, the images from that I find phenomenal, I'm thinking of selling my D700 and going for a D750 as I would love one for weddings, but I must admit I'm finding it hard to let go of the D700. Maybe I will find a buyer here :LOL:

Its not the camera Tel, I think its me, we haven't had a decent day with good light since I bought the D810, once I get a decent day I reckon that will change.

Back