Nikon D750 & D780

Out with the D750 yesterday. All was going fine as I walked around Yorkshire Wildlife Park merrily clicking away at anything interesting and then the camera just froze. Could do anything with it at all. Took the battery out, reinserted it and now all appears well.
Thinking about this, I had inserted two brand new Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 gb cards and dont hink I formatted them in the camera.
Could that have been the issue or can I look forward to more freeze's.

On my third body (for different reasons) and never experienced this on any of them.

Out with the D750 yesterday. All was going fine as I walked around Yorkshire Wildlife Park merrily clicking away at anything interesting and then the camera just froze. Could do anything with it at all. Took the battery out, reinserted it and now all appears well.
Thinking about this, I had inserted two brand new Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 gb cards and dont hink I formatted them in the camera.

Could be the issue, try a format in camera and check the FW is up to date.

So I think I'm gonna sell my Fuji gear and hopefully pick up a d750 with 24-120, a Samyang 14mm for night/astro and a sigma 150-600c for wildlife :)

Not really, for a pro shooter that can get the best out of it there may be quite a difference between the 2 lenses, all I am saying is that for what I shoot, I always felt the 24-70 to be very over hyped. I never really used it at f2.8 which is probably where most of the difference in cost is.

Same thinking myself. I have used the lot of them and currently own the 24-70VC. Never been blown away by any mid range zoom. 35 and 85 combo is about all I tend to use now

Lots of debate about the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, The image quality is very good but the build quality is extremley robust and withstands the rigours of professional use.
I'm happy with mine but will sell it on upgade to the new VR model next year.

Hey that's a turnaround! :)

Ime nothing if not inconsistent:),decided i wouldn't be happy with a prime lens so canceled the 300pf,may also not want to lug heavy gear around birding so i accept the IQ limitations at the moment and do my birding on a bridge camera,this purchase is just a little treat as i have been so good;) to start me in another direction with my photography.
Althoughi could change my mind and add a 150-600 Sigma.

Did you have a Tamron 150-600 on?

Did you have a Tamron 150-600 on?
No, I use the Nikkor 80-400 (Mk2). Its the only lens Ive used on the camera so far. Its a brilliant lens but for birding I could do with something like the 150-600.
Ive tried a 1.4 TC on it but Im not impressed to be honest.
Having just waited nearly four months Ive cancelled my order for the new 300mm f4 so theres cash burning a hole in my pocket but Im still a bit unsure of the 150-600 as the 80-400/D750 combination is about as heavy as I want to go.
Meh, photography eh? Why did I ever choose birds, wildlife and aviation as a subject ?

No, I use the Nikkor 80-400 (Mk2). Its the only lens Ive used on the camera so far. Its a brilliant lens but for birding I could do with something like the 150-600.
Ive tried a 1.4 TC on it but Im not impressed to be honest.
Having just waited nearly four months Ive cancelled my order for the new 300mm f4 so theres cash burning a hole in my pocket but Im still a bit unsure of the 150-600 as the 80-400/D750 combination is about as heavy as I want to go.
Meh, photography eh? Why did I ever choose birds, wildlife and aviation as a subject ?

Just canceled my 300pf order,some one on another forum had a D750 lock up and it was caused by Kingston cards.

These 300PFs are like unicorn tears.

Didn't they have an initial batch, then for many months they have failed to produce any more? Very bizarre.

My cunning plan was to buy a 300mm f4 for the weight saving, and use it with a TC when I needed the extra range.
Ive since found that when ever Ive used TCs on any lens Ive always been disappointed by the effect on AF speeds and image quality. Theyre not for me, so, with the long delivery delay as well, the 300 f4 has been consigned to the 'might get one one day, basket'. My Nikon 1.4 and 2X TCs are likely to be offered for sale shortly.
Frustrating.
As for the frozen D750 it hasnt occurred again yet after formatting both cards so lets just hope!

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed their D750 getting hot after extended use around the rear dial and thumb area? Have noticed it more when shooting video rather than taking images.

These 300PFs are like unicorn tears.

Didn't they have an initial batch, then for many months they have failed to produce any more? Very bizarre.

IIRC there was an issue with VR that led to a number of 'qualified' reviews.

I've had this about 3 times on mine. I thought it was a sigma lens I was borrowing as it happened twice using that, but it happened again last weekend using my Nikon 70-200mm f2.8. It will be brought to Nikon's attention when it goes in for the shutter issue fix.

Anyone else find this statement worrying? (re: Nikon not snerkler :) )
More of a frustration to me than a worry. Never experienced either the flare issue or the shutter shading issue but mine's been flagged up for both. Only sending it in for when I come to sell it. The freezing is more of a concern though, but am hoping it's just a software glitch that can be rectified with a firmware update.

Strange thing is that normally these niggles would make me lose confidence and get rid of the camera, but I'm so impressed with the D750 I see past them. That being said if I was a pro and the camera froze at a vital moment at a wedding, or sport event etc I don't think I'd be as forgiving.

Out with the D750 yesterday. All was going fine as I walked around Yorkshire Wildlife Park merrily clicking away at anything interesting and then the camera just froze. .
Have you posted pics anywhere? Love this place, been 3 times this year already :oops: :$;)

Seem to have been a few problems on the D750 ?,hopefully they all get sorted out and doesn't turn in an D600 replace pretty quickly by the D610.

D760 anybody :rolleyes::)

More of a frustration to me than a worry. Never experienced either the flare issue or the shutter shading issue but mine's been flagged up for both. Only sending it in for when I come to sell it. The freezing is more of a concern though, but am hoping it's just a software glitch that can be rectified with a firmware update.

Strange thing is that normally these niggles would make me lose confidence and get rid of the camera, but I'm so impressed with the D750 I see past them. That being said if I was a pro and the camera froze at a vital moment at a wedding, or sport event etc I don't think I'd be as forgiving.

Must be annoying for you Snerks, tbh I think you deserve a new camera! Retailer shouldve sorted this, I bet Panamoz wouldve replaced, they put most UK companies to shame with customer service.

Dont think so. A quick Google search shows just about all makes of DSLRs having the odd issue with freezing. The Canon 5d Mk3 seems to have suffered a similar issue for a while but was sorted with firmware. I will wait and see how this progresses but a software problem is easier to sort than a hardware issue like the D600 oily sensors.....
In the meantime, if it happens again it will mean taking the battery out and putting it back in, for me as a hobbyist rather than a pro, thats not a big problem.

Seem to have been a few problems on the D750 ?,hopefully they all get sorted out and doesn't turn in an D600 replace pretty quickly by the D610.

D760 anybody :rolleyes::)

Nowt wrong with mine, only the very early batch. As Graham says, its common across all brands.

Must be annoying for you Snerks, tbh I think you deserve a new camera! Retailer shouldve sorted this, I bet Panamoz wouldve replaced, they put most UK companies to shame with customer service.
From past experience I think they would just send it in for repair tbh. I guess it could still be a card issue as I do use several and swap them around so could just be one dodgy card?

The 'annoyance' for me is that I love my camera so much I can't bear to be without it :LOL:

Last edited:

That's exactly the reason to have two on you at all times, if one stops you can just pick the other one up and carry on shooting.

That's exactly the reason to have two on you at all times, if one stops you can just pick the other one up and carry on shooting.
True enough, but it could still cause 'that vital moment' to be missed. But as already pointed out it happens with a lot of cameras, and it's only happened to me less than a handful of times in 8 months. And who's to say whether it's the camera or card.

Most gadgets have gremlins tbh. Like my Mac, wish I'd never 'upgraded' to Yosemite, but that's another story ;)

Got to smile at that Snerks, as I was reading it I just heard the wife screeching in the next room. She was aboit 10 minutes into a report when the PC just crashed.......shes dancing around like a chimp on steroids as I write! Computers eh?

Got to smile at that Snerks, as I was reading it I just heard the wife screeching in the next room. She was aboit 10 minutes into a report when the PC just crashed.......shes dancing around like a chimp on steroids as I write! Computers eh?
Lol, I feel her pain ;)

I do now.... Apparently, "Dont worry dear, these things happen" wasnt the response she was looking for to her statement "Ive just lost the lot".
What makes it more interesting is that Ive set up a brand new all in one PC in the same room and she won't use it yet as she prefers the old one!

My 750 was working happily. Bought a new Sandisk Extreme Pro 32gb and it started freezing and playback worked intermittently. Got a replacement card and no issues since with faultless performance.

Well worth checking the cards. I think mine was either just a dud or a fake. If you do a Google search on fake cards it would appear a huge problem.

Well worth trying a different card in.

Cards are from a reputable supplier so I don't think they are fake. I will see how things go. If it freezes again I will go back to the two 16gb cards I was using before and see if they produce any issues.

Back