Nikon D750 & D780

Any thoughts on the Nikon 50mm f1.8 lens on the D750? Anyone use it? Was going to opt for the f1.4 or the Sigma f1.4 EX but the price of the f1.8 is very tempting.

Amazing lens for the price, I only sold it because I picked up the 58. The 50mm f1.8 is sharp, and focus is quick. If you don't need f1.4, or the extra sharpness at 1.8, then I'd save your cash

Thanks Robert. They look really good. You're also pretty local to me too!

Siiiiigmmmmaaaaa, well worth the minor hassle. If you buy new you just send it for calibration under warranty, used ask for samples at f1.4. It's a stunning bargain lens.

I do now.... Apparently, "Dont worry dear, these things happen" wasnt the response she was looking for to her statement "Ive just lost the lot".
What makes it more interesting is that Ive set up a brand new all in one PC in the same room and she won't use it yet as she prefers the old one!
PMSL :ROFLMAO:

I used the 50mm 1.8 on these Albums, its not that bad, had a £50 ebay voucher, so it only cost me £70 ish.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/balb0wa/sets/72157655335335976

https://www.flickr.com/photos/balb0wa/sets/72157655073917429
Ahhh, the penny's just dropped. Was wondering what your username was ;) Seems there's a few from this area on here then :)

When and where exactly is the fell race? I'd like to try and make it, although am working in the morning and then playing house maid as my wife's just had a knee op but I could nip out for a couple of hours in the afternoon if it's then?

Are you going to the Sheffield Grand Prix on Wed? I'm hoping to get up, although Harrisons aren't there this year so will have to 'fight' with the rest of the spectators to get a view ;)

Last edited:
I've asked about one in the classifieds. ;)

Next question...

Anyone using the Siggy 150-600 contemporary lens?
No, I bought the Tammy instead as I got it £200 cheaper :p

Any thoughts on the Nikon 50mm f1.8 lens on the D750? Anyone use it? Was going to opt for the f1.4 or the Sigma f1.4 EX but the price of the f1.8 is very tempting.
Works very well on the D750 and is very sharp. Bokeh is pretty nice too, although not as nice as the f1.4 or 58mm imo. For the money though it's an absolute bargain.

The first lot of these were taken with the 50mm f1.8, although far from the best examples as I was still waiting for my D750 to arrive, had to borrow a D600 for the day (was a freebie Nikon Introductory to flash course) and had no idea how to use Nikons being a <cough> sony shooter <cough> at the time ;) Also it turned out it needed micro adjusting :rolleyes:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/sets/72157649277948656/with/15812438131/

These were with the 50mm and D750
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/17206192430/in/album-72157634893376678/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/15752828308/in/album-72157634893376678/

Last edited:
Actually I think it is useful to hear feedback from anyone who uses the 150-600mm (Sigma/Tamron) with the D750. I would particularly like to hear off anyone who has used both the newer Nikkor 80-400 and the 150-600 from either brand, on how the image compares.
I met a chap the other day who was using the Tamron version and said the Nikkor 80-400 would be much sharper so that put me off my idea of getting the 150-600 for the D750, but thinking having seen some of the images on here Im not sure. I dont like Teleconverters so would be comparing a cropped image off the 80-400 with a full image from the SigTam. Anyone??

Ok, I know the photo below is nothing special but I wouldn't normally have even tried to process it. I am no expert at PP with Photoshop and I only spent a very little amount of time on this just to see how much I could recover. Gob and smacked sprang to mind. I only got the camera yesterday and I I've not got it set up how I want yet (too excited for that).

View attachment 42067 View attachment 42068

Ok, I know the photo below is nothing special but I wouldn't normally have even tried to process it. I am no expert at PP with Photoshop and I only spent a very little amount of time on this just to see how much I could recover. Gob and smacked sprang to mind. I only got the camera yesterday and I I've not got it set up how I want yet (too excited for that).

View attachment 42067 View attachment 42068
Shadow recovery of the D750 is nothing short of astounding. It's useful to know as you can deliberately underexpose certain shots to prevent blown highlights knowing you can recover shadows. Highlight metering helps with this.

Actually I think it is useful to hear feedback from anyone who uses the 150-600mm (Sigma/Tamron) with the D750. I would particularly like to hear off anyone who has used both the newer Nikkor 80-400 and the 150-600 from either brand, on how the image compares.
I met a chap the other day who was using the Tamron version and said the Nikkor 80-400 would be much sharper so that put me off my idea of getting the 150-600 for the D750, but thinking having seen some of the images on here Im not sure. I dont like Teleconverters so would be comparing a cropped image off the 80-400 with a full image from the SigTam. Anyone??
If you believe test charts then there's not a lot of difference in sharpness between the Tamron and the Nikon 80-400 AF-S at the long end wide open, although the Nikon is better and noticeably better at the corner. Stop them down to f8 and I think the Tamron is sharper in the centre and possibly mid, with the Nikon better at the edges. However, if you compare the Tamron at 400mm to the Nikon at 400mm then I think the Tamron looks noticeably sharper. Even at 500mm the Tamron looks sharper than the Nikon at 400mm. But as I've said before sharpness isn't everything and it's how the overall image looks that matters, and of course you have to take test charts with a little bit of a pinch of salt.

Tamron 600mm, Nikon 400mm wide open
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...meraComp=614&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=5&APIComp=1

Tamron 600mm, Nikon at 400mm both at f8
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...meraComp=614&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=5&APIComp=3

Tamron 500mm, Nikon 400mm wide open
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...meraComp=614&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=5&APIComp=1

Tamron 400mm, Nikon 400mm wide open

Another thing to consider is these tests are done with the Tamron on a Canon, on a Nikon the shots would look even better ;) :p

Also, I'd be surprised if there's much difference in AF as I can't really fault the Tammy, although not used it for BIF yet. I have done some moving subjects

DSC_2464 by TDG-77, on Flickr
DSC_2467 by TDG-77, on Flickr

So, if going by test charts alone and only taking into consideration sharpness you'd choose the Tamron over the Nikon every time imo. It's sharper at 400mm, sharper at 100mm longer than the Nikon, and then has an extra 100mm to play with without too much drop off.

Shadow recovery of the D750 is nothing short of astounding. It's useful to know as you can deliberately underexpose certain shots to prevent blown highlights knowing you can recover shadows. Highlight metering helps with this.

I found this out last weekend. I was photographing an abandoned building and took some shots of a windows from inside. With my D700 (or any other camera I've used in the last few years) I would have had to combine at least two exposures in PS to get a usable image. With the D750 I metered for the view outside and pulled up the shadows in post from just one image and I was blown away with what you can achieve.

Sounds good....just have to checkout the weight now as to be honest the 80-400 is pretty much as heavy as I wanted to get as I lug it about all day.
I know the Tamron is a bit heavier but I think Im going to pull the trigger on one. If its as good as its supposed to be, and I can manage the weight, I will sell the Nikkor. Happy days!

Sounds good....just have to checkout the weight now as to be honest the 80-400 is pretty much as heavy as I wanted to get as I lug it about all day.
I know the Tamron is a bit heavier but I think Im going to pull the trigger on one. If its as good as its supposed to be, and I can manage the weight, I will sell the Nikkor. Happy days!
TBH I don't find the weight much of an issue tbh. I carry it around on a sling strap and then hand hold it for shots. I don't really notice the difference between this and my 70-200mm which is about 400g lighter (the same as the 80-400mm I believe). The only difference is balance with it being longer, but I just hold it further forward and is not an issue.

Disclaimer: We all find things different and so whilst weight isn't an issue for me it may be for some ;) :p

Oh dear!

Just got my D750 back from the warranty fix for the flare issue. I replaced the battery and the cards I'd always used with it (Samsung Pro 32GB). Had a look in the menus and took a couple of photos and everything looked normal. Back into the menus and looked at the firmware version - at which point the camera froze! The only solution was to remove the battery, but when I replaced it, the camera doesn't seem to 'see' the memory cards and the rear screen doesn't come on at all! Oh, and the metering is up the spout!

I've emailed Nikon and wait to hear back next week :mad:

Oh dear!

Just got my D750 back from the warranty fix for the flare issue. I replaced the battery and the cards I'd always used with it (Samsung Pro 32GB). Had a look in the menus and took a couple of photos and everything looked normal. Back into the menus and looked at the firmware version - at which point the camera froze! The only solution was to remove the battery, but when I replaced it, the camera doesn't seem to 'see' the memory cards and the rear screen doesn't come on at all! Oh, and the metering is up the spout!

That's not good, hope it gets sorted quickly. It is worrying that a number of cameras are coming back faulty :(

TBH I don't find the weight much of an issue tbh. I carry it around on a sling strap and then hand hold it for shots. I don't really notice the difference between this and my 70-200mm which is about 400g lighter (the same as the 80-400mm I believe). The only difference is balance with it being longer, but I just hold it further forward and is not an issue.

Disclaimer: We all find things different and so whilst weight isn't an issue for me it may be for some ;) :p
Smerks, there is only 30gm between the 70-200 and the 80-400 so if you domt notice much difference between your 70-200 and the Tamron that will do for me!

Last edited:
Smerks, there is only 30gm between the 70-200 and the 80-400 so if you domt notice much difference between your 70-200 and the Tamron that will do for me!
Lol, I was referring to the Tamron not 80-400mm :p

It is, hopefully your will be fine and this down to poor old early adopter,and some bad QC on some production runs of the camera :)
That might have happened to some, but I don't see myself in that group. Mine (bought in October) performed perfectly from the start.

It happens to be in the range of the bodies that Nikon think could be 'affected' by the flare issue - I never saw it, but I didn't go looking for it.

With hindsight, I suppose there was no need to return it, but I can only see my problem as being a result of the repair, not the manufacturing. If anything, it might be down to the QC at Nikon UK.

:pMine isnt an early one, Ive only had it a few weeks. It was also unaffected until it became affected

Last edited:
Well mine is unaffected by the two issues so hopefully it will be a keeper. :)
Mine as well it does disturb me to see people having problems but to be honest I love my 750 warts and all the more I use it the happier I become I can't say that about every camera I've owned

Last edited:
Oh dear!

That is worrying. A replacement camera would seem the logical choice if Nikon would do that.

Hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction.

That is worrying. A replacement camera would seem the logical choice if Nikon would do that.

Hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction.

Nikon will definitely replace the camera if the internals keep shorting out. Live view can also be effected.

Edited to add - I do feel your pain and frustration. It happens to me on my first D750 went I sent it away to get the internal flare issue resolved. Nikon were as good as gold and sent me a brand new replacement.

Last edited:
Ahhh, the penny's just dropped. Was wondering what your username was ;) Seems there's a few from this area on here then :)

When and where exactly is the fell race? I'd like to try and make it, although am working in the morning and then playing house maid as my wife's just had a knee op but I could nip out for a couple of hours in the afternoon if it's then?

Are you going to the Sheffield Grand Prix on Wed? I'm hoping to get up, although Harrisons aren't there this year so will have to 'fight' with the rest of the spectators to get a view ;)

Only just seen this, i twigged who you were on here weeks ago,lol

The race was 1 30pm, from the village green playing fields today, it was Crich fete, and the race was part of it. Was a very good day, burnt to a crisp!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/balb0wa/sets/72157655626116259

Not got any more togging things planned at the moment.

Back