Nikon D750 & D780

H.Lehmann.... Wow. Unbelievably crap service. They have said they emailed me on the 12th with the revised quote... Which they didn't. So they re-sent the quote whilst on the phone to me and miraculously it arrived within seconds... Brilliant.

£350... Ouch!

Ouch indeed. Is there a "dislike" button anywhere. Do you have any other options apart from paying to get it fixed? What happened?

H.Lehmann.... Wow. Unbelievably crap service. They have said they emailed me on the 12th with the revised quote... Which they didn't. So they re-sent the quote whilst on the phone to me and miraculously it arrived within seconds... Brilliant.

£350... Ouch!

FEEEECKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!

£350... Ouch!
WTF that's outrageous for fixing a bit of detached ribbon... would have been cheaper through Nikon direct :(

Yeah, it was tongue in cheek. I'm more than happy with the 24-120mm, the extra reach is more important than the AF speed for me ;)

I have both for the weekend - its like a lens lovin weekend! Then its decision time!!!

£350... Ouch!
That's what you call having your pants down :( Have you had a quote from Nikon by any chance to compare?

£350... Ouch!
Is there a split on parts and labour?

I've re-evaluated my lens choice and I'm either going to buy(next month or two) a Nikon 20mm or a 24mm not 4mm isn't that different but it's still causing me a headache!

The 20mm is on my radar. My thinking is, that you can crop the 20mm to 24mm, but not the other way. Probably the wrong way to look at it, but that's whats in my head. Plus the 20mm is £50.00 cheaper from Wex.

That is from Nikon... :LOL: they had to send it to Nikon as they replaced the 'TFT' and it didn't fix the problem. Had a right argument with the lady on the phone. So unbelievably rude and just kept on talking over me.

Apparently it's killed a circuit board inside. (not sure how as the camera was off when i did it)

I asked to speak with someone else and he's been great (upto yet!). I've asked them to contact Nikon to see if they can sort the shutter recall at the same time seeing as they have it atm.

That is from Nikon... :LOL: they had to send it to Nikon as they replaced the 'TFT' and it didn't fix the problem. Had a right argument with the lady on the phone. So unbelievably rude and just kept on talking over me.

Apparently it's killed a circuit board inside. (not sure how as the camera was off when i did it)

I asked to speak with someone else and he's been great (upto yet!). I've asked them to contact Nikon to see if they can sort the shutter recall at the same time seeing as they have it atm.

Gutted for you mate.

£350... Ouch!

Do you have accidental damage cover on your home insurance that covers camera at home and outside?

So decision of some sort needs to made over the next week:

Nikon 24-70 mint UK model still under warranty - looks unused - £700
Nikon 24-120 F4 - ££ varies if new/used/grey/UK

Then if dismiss the above:

Tamron 24-70 VC - £550 grey £670 new

I guess I wouldnt lose money I got the 24-70 (if I don't drop it) and changed my mind!

Do you have accidental damage cover on your home insurance that covers camera at home and outside?

We do - but just realised that its max 1000 per item - might need to change that!

That is from Nikon...[emoji38]they had to send it to Nikon as they replaced the 'TFT' and it didn't fix the problem. Had a right argument with the lady on the phone. So unbelievably rude and just kept on talking over me.

When I sent mine back for the flare issue I asked if the could do the screen at the same time. They charged for the screen only, as the camera was already with them and open.

I guess I wouldnt lose money I got the 24-70 (if I don't drop it) and changed my mind!
Just take the Nikon 24-70 for the wedding, you won't lose much even if you do sell it on later

All depends on your shooting. Do you need the reach? If so there's only one choice. Do you need night vision supersonic AF, then again there's only one choice ;)

At £700 I've personally have the Nikon over the Tammy if you go down the 24-70 route, renders nicer imo. Do you need VC on a lens like that? You'll be shooting a wedding, doubt you'd be wanting shutter slower than (hypothetically) 1/70 as you'll introduce subject movement. Plus if you use flash that can help freeze motion.

I don't think you'll need the reach like I did at the Wedding I went to last week as you will have 'full access' and so free to roam and get closer if needs be (y)

Last edited:

Nikon 24-70 or Tamron 24-70.

Just take the Nikon 24-70 for the wedding, you won't lose much even if you do sell it on later

TBH i agree. It's a brill lens. It's worth it for the focus alone. It won't let you down in low light, it just focuses.

Quote states

Replace LCD assembly
Replace faulty/damaged electrical circuitry
Clean CCD/CMOS to spec
Calibrate to spec
Full clean and function test

So now all it needs to do is come back with screwed up AF and i should have the full set!

Brill.

TBH i agree. It's a brill lens. It's worth it for the focus alone. It won't let you down in low light, it just focuses.

Quote states

Replace LCD assembly
Replace faulty/damaged electrical circuitry
Clean CCD/CMOS to spec
Calibrate to spec
Full clean and function test

So now all it needs to do is come back with screwed up AF and i should have the full set!

Brill.

What actually happened to it? I must have missed the page!

The only lens remaining to fine tune is the Tamron 70-200 2.8.

Question : Do you tune a 70-200 at the telephoto end and at what distance using the DOTTune method?

The only lens remaining to fine tune is the Tamron 70-200 2.8.

Question : Do you tune a 70-200 at the telephoto end and at what distance using the DOTTune method?
As Minnnt says yours seems sharp as a sharp thing.

But when I'm fine tuning zooms I always do it at the tele end for two reasons. Firstly it's the end I use most, secondly AF inaccuracies are more noticeable at the tele end due to the shallower DOF.

I wouldn't bother mate. Your pics have been bang on with it imo.

As Minnnt says yours seems sharp as a sharp thing.
But when I'm fine tuning zooms I always do it at the tele end for two reasons. Firstly it's the end I use most, secondly AF inaccuracies are more noticeable at the tele end due to the shallower DOF.

Just want to be sure it is within the tune range. I will test at the telephoto end.

I'm not sure tbh.

Just want it back and i cba to fanny around with it anymore. Selling the D300 will cover a fair chunk of it as it was only ever a stop gap until i got my camera back.

I'd probably look at the house insurance. When I had my accident the repair was £260ish, excess £100, so didn't bother but over £300 I would've done.

I'll have it off you afterwards :)

£350... Ouch!

That sucks :hug:
They should have a handle with care sticker on the damn things. It`s a tool ffs and should break so easily imo.

Strange occurrence today. I don't often use highight priority metering but wanted it for a shot with my noisy 20mm. Only problem was it disappeared. Showed up as I spun the wheel, but became centre weighted when I pressed the shutter release. Tried all sorts. Then I swapped lenses and all was normal again.

Either the lens is strange or you can only get that metering option with AF-D lenses onwards - the 20mm is a plain old AF lens. :thinking:

Strange occurrence today. I don't often use highight priority metering but wanted it for a shot with my noisy 20mm. Only problem was it disappeared. Showed up as I spun the wheel, but became centre weighted when I pressed the shutter release. Tried all sorts. Then I swapped lenses and all was normal again.

Either the lens is strange or you can only get that metering option with AF-D lenses onwards - the 20mm is a plain old AF lens. :thinking:

Yup, according to the manual: "Centre weighted metering will be used if highlight weighted metering is selected with non-CPU lenses ...and with certain CPU lenses (... AF lenses that are not type G, E or D)."

Anyone know a way to split yourself in three? :confused: I'm shooting pics at the London Marathon next weekend for a Charity and they want me to take pics at London Bridge, Mile 25/Westminster and also the QE2 building o_O

Back