Nikon D750 & D780

Does anybody know exactly how to tell the difference between dust spots and Oil on the sensor, I am extremely careful when changing lenses, on occasion i bring a second body to locations where i know i don't want to be changing. I am getting literally hundreds of 'spots' on my images. Far more than i believe should be possible with the way i treat the camera. The Mirror is very clean but the sensor is not, Im concerned that my 750 may have a larger problem. camera is 9 months old and has shot around 8000 frames.

I pointed my 750 with 24-120 @f22 at my monitor:

the resulting jpeg

and screwed up levels to illustrate a little better

That is dust, just needs a clean, may need a wet clean but it isn't oil/spatter that was prevalent in many D600s, their shape is more doughnut like. btw "dust" can be stuff like pollen, hence why you sometimes need to wet clean.

thanks, Paul, ive just conducted a similar test with my much older d7000 and its spotless after 13k frames {its been everywherethe 750 has} and a a friends d810 which is of identical age and shuttercount, that is also spotless.

thanks, Paul, ive just conducted a similar test with my much older d7000 and its spotless after 13k frames {its been everywherethe 750 has} and a a friends d810 which is of identical age and shuttercount, that is also spotless.
Dust is sadly a fact of life with DSLRs. Shutter count is only one part of the equation, some lenses are just dust pumps for example and even the most careful when changing lenses can easily introduce dust. Whilst it may seem daunting at first it is really quite easy and safe to clean the sensor.

There are three supporting races , minis (should be good for gravel spraying at Paddock Bend ) and GTs .

Cool. I shall be travelling down on the morning so can be there for any time really. What time does it all kick off?

@T_J_G @Paulie-W @Greggster still going? @G.K.Jnr. sure you can't be persuaded?

Not on the Saturday m8, business wise we'll have a couple of guys there on the Sunday.(y)

"As much as I'd like to meet up with you guys even if it's just to quickly say a hello, I really can't spare the time".

George.

What size SD cards is everyone using? Wedding in June and want to grab a bunch of new ones but deciding on 16gb or 32gb.

Better to have more of less?

128GB slot 1, 64GB slot 2 for me, although on a 2 week trip to Japan with 1000 photos it was only 17GB used

For a wedding shoot matched cards that mirror each other in case of failure, maybe 2 x 32GB should be enough?

If I do anything important I'd dual the images across both slots and use several small (16mb) cards and swap and secure the cards and split the dual cards.

128GB slot 1, 64GB slot 2 for me, although on a 2 week trip to Japan with 1000 photos it was only 17GB used

For a wedding shoot matched cards that mirror each other in case of failure, maybe 2 x 32GB should be enough?

I use 2 x 32

What size SD cards is everyone using? Wedding in June and want to grab a bunch of new ones but deciding on 16gb or 32gb.

Better to have more of less?

I have 4 x 16 GB ones, and that suits me. Horses for courses etc ;)

I can see there`s the potential for a lot of lens testing coming up at Brands :D

Personally I`d like to try the 24-70. But if we gather some sort of list, it might be helpful.

Last edited:
Like these, wouldn't mind trying one of these 150-600's at some point. I would like to buy one at one point but too many priorities first!
Thanks. I'm pretty happy with it TBH, can't complain for the price. Just wish these little birds would come out of the shade ;)

Back