Nikon D750 & D780

Just ordered one of these to allow me to use the vertical grip AND an L bracket. Oversight on my part assuming the L bracket which was shipped with the vertical grip would be compatible. It only works without the grip on! (and works perfectly in that situation, to be fair)

4152KYOSiiL.jpg

£37 from amazon (well, via amazon, it's supplied by iShoot) - I originally found it on AliExpress so thought I must be able to find one that doesn't require me to set up some dodgy russian paypal thingy... and eventually did.

I'll let you all know what it's like when it arrives in 30-odd days' time.
I used to have a L bracket for a gripped D800 that was similar to this, I never got on with it as it felt too big and cumbersome especially on a D800. I now only have a non gripped L bracket (sunwayfoto one) that I take off the grip to put on the L bracket, I only occasionally do landscapes so it's not too much of a problem for me. If I'm away doing landscapes and wildlife I just don't use the grip. For £37 you haven't got much to loose on it and you can always put it on and off as needed without taking off the grip.

Last edited:
So before my D750 I was a Sony man and had two DSLR's from their Alpha range.

One thing I noted about the Nikon is the that lens lock into the camera body by rotating in the opposite direction and its taking me a while to get used to.

Today at the end of a shoot I was doing, I must have not been paying attention and rotated the lens the wrong way as I tried to remove it.

It made a horrendous grinding/crunching noise but luckily I was able to turn it back and remove it.

Surely it shouldn't be possible to rotate the wrong way?

The camera did initially show an error message and wouldn't open the shutter but I removed the battery, gave it 5 mins and everything was back to normal thank goodness!

It was my 16-35mm f4 lens.

To say I panicked was an understatement. Keeping my fingers crossed I haven't done any permanent damage.

Anyone else heard of this?

So before my D750 I was a Sony man and had two DSLR's from their Alpha range.

One thing I noted about the Nikon is the that lens lock into the camera body by rotating in the opposite direction and its taking me a while to get used to.

Today at the end of a shoot I was doing, I must have not been paying attention and rotated the lens the wrong way as I tried to remove it.

It made a horrendous grinding/crunching noise but luckily I was able to turn it back and remove it.

Surely it shouldn't be possible to rotate the wrong way?

The camera did initially show an error message and wouldn't open the shutter but I removed the battery, gave it 5 mins and everything was back to normal thank goodness!

It was my 16-35mm f4 lens.

To say I panicked was an understatement. Keeping my fingers crossed I haven't done any permanent damage.

Anyone else heard of this?
If I remember correctly there is a small screw on the 16-35 that's supposed to stop the rotating too far but it can be damaged resulting on turning too far. There was a member on here that had the problem and Nikon had to part the lens and camera then repair both. He argued it was a manufacturing fault so got the repairs done for free. It's probably worth doing a search for the thread.

If I remember correctly there is a small screw on the 16-35 that's supposed to stop the rotating too far but it can be damaged resulting on turning too far. There was a member on here that had the problem and Nikon had to part the lens and camera then repair both. He argued it was a manufacturing fault so got the repairs done for free. It's probably worth doing a search for the thread.

Here they are, can't believe it was 4 years ago and I still remembered it!

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...nikon-16-35mm-quick-help.404342/#post-5037869

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/ding-dong-my-d700-is-dead-it-lives-again.402286/page-3

I need to get used to knocking the lock switch and panicking halfway through a wedding that I can't change the AF point. Although I think now when it happens I'll realise :)

Nicely done mate. You really should have dropped that shutter speed though... 1/8 is where it's at! :D
Haha, maybe if I used the 85, but no chance for me with the 150-600 ... Thanks mate :)

"Cracking" shot Paul, and well suited to mono.(y)

George.

Thank you George :)

There's been quite a lot of arguments over on the D500 thread about the benefit of extra reach with DX bodies and some are saying that a cropped FX to DX size will look better than uncropped DX and I was wondering if folk here have had experience and can share? I'm struggling to believe that a D750 image cropped to 10mp (DX size) would look better than an uncropped 24mp D7200 shot for example.

The reason that I ask is that I'm struggling for reach with my wildlife (for example my recent bird pics were almost 1:1 crops) and I don't fancy using a TC with my Tamron 150-600mm (and not sure if it's possible) and thought a 2nd hand D7200 might be a better way of getting more reach? I certainly can't afford an f4 telephoto to use a TC with :runaway:

There's been quite a lot of arguments over on the D500 thread about the benefit of extra reach with DX bodies and some are saying that a cropped FX to DX size will look better than uncropped DX and I was wondering if folk here have had experience and can share? I'm struggling to believe that a D750 image cropped to 10mp (DX size) would look better than an uncropped 24mp D7200 shot for example.

The reason that I ask is that I'm struggling for reach with my wildlife (for example my recent bird pics were almost 1:1 crops) and I don't fancy using a TC with my Tamron 150-600mm (and not sure if it's possible) and thought a 2nd hand D7200 might be a better way of getting more reach? I certainly can't afford an f4 telephoto to use a TC with :runaway:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a6hWuPd74U

IMO when an image is cropped in PP the images will look cleaner from the D750 over the D7100 and D7000, I haven't used the D7200 but it's the same MP as the D7100 although back to the Sony sensor where the D7100 is Toshiba. I think there is some confusion of camera cropping and PP cropping in the thread? The D750 will crop down to low sizes better I think. As an example the BT below is cropped to 1791 x 1494 from 6000 x 4000.

Blue Tit in some winter sun by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

If your out and about takes some feed with you and look for sites where you can get good composition with nice clean backgrounds. As you know most of my bird photography is at home and the closet perches are about 3.5 meteres away. I set my tripod up by the back door and the birds seem to accept me now and will feed close. They will do the same out in the field, patience is the key.

As for lenses, I believe the Sigmas 150-600 will take a TC or the Nikon 200-500mm lens otherwise you could buy a Kenko one from Amazon and return if it doesn't work on your Tamron. Otherwise for a body if you get a used D7200 and it doesn't work for you, you won't loose much re-selling. Another alternative is to get a Nikon V2 or V3 and the FT1 adapter if you want stupid reach using the 2.7 crop factor.

Ta will watch this later.

IMO when an image is cropped in PP the images will look cleaner from the D750 over the D7100 and D7000, I haven't used the D7200 but it's the same MP as the D7100 although back to the Sony sensor where the D7100 is Toshiba. I think there is some confusion of camera cropping and PP cropping in the thread? The D750 will crop down to low sizes better I think. As an example the BT below is cropped to 1791 x 1494 from 6000 x 4000.
Thanks, but that's why I asked about a cropped D750 vs an uncropped D7200 as I know that if you crop both in PP the FF will always look better. It's not just for birds, but also safari parks where I can't physically get closer. Would a 20/24mp image from a D7100/7200 look better than a cropped to 10mp in PP D750 image?

This was cropped to 2138 x 1427 (3mp). On the D7200/D7100 it would only have had to be cropped to 3207 x 2141 (6.9mp) and I wonder which would look better?

DSC_5749
by TDG-77, on Flickr

If your out and about takes some feed with you and look for sites where you can get good composition with nice clean backgrounds. As you know most of my bird photography is at home and the closet perches are about 3.5 meteres away. I set my tripod up by the back door and the birds seem to accept me now and will feed close. They will do the same out in the field, patience is the key.

Thanks will bear this in mind. Tbh I don't have the patience to be a proper birder, but will still take the odd pic. As above though my question relates more to gaining extra reach if you can't physically get closer.

Last edited:
@snerkler Is this where the 810 and it's stupidly high pixel count comes in, no personal experience but I could see that being the best of both worlds

@snerkler your not thinking of a d500 are you lol
Nope that's why I've been quoting the D7200/7100 ;) Money no object yes I would buy the D500 as my wildlife camera, but £400 for a used D7100 is a more realistic option ;)

@snerkler Is this where the 810 and it's stupidly high pixel count comes in, no personal experience but I could see that being the best of both worlds
Agreed, if it had the grip and the flippy screen from the D750, plus I had a bigger wage I'd be all over the D810 ;)

Last edited:
So you getting into wildlife more now pal

So you getting into wildlife more now pal
Always been into wildlife, probably what I've shot more than anything. Just a thought that went through my head over the past week after going to Yorkshire Wildlife Park and Shillito Woods.

My thought were that a mildly cropped D7100/7200 might look better than a heavily cropped D750. Of course there's noise and DR etc to consider. But again I'm not sure how much more or less noise would show on a mild DX crop compared to a heavy FX crop.

Just pondering :p

That 150-600 lens not enough wow wasn't expecting that pal.

Sell d750 for 900 and get a 810 they were £1799 other week

That 150-600 lens not enough wow wasn't expecting that pal.

Sell d750 for 900 and get a 810 they were £1799 other week
Ideally I'd have a 600 f4 with 1.4x TC :LOL:

Are you going to donate my the £900 difference then? ;)

Lol no

But think is the d810 you get best everything surely that worth it? FF better cropping since more MP? I could be talking s*** lol

IMO on paper it sounds like a no brainer to have a DX but in reality a cropped FX image wins for me. Plus once you start pushing the ISO it goes belly up. Especially when cropped. Personally i think your bird shots are brill, very sharp and pack alot of punch.

Just my two penneth...

Back