Nikon D750 & D780

Landscapes, cars, bigger scenes/birds will take the extra sharpening, but I have found with smaller birds it doesn't take the extra oomph, especially with the larger crops usually involved.

That's interesting. When I first started using LR I watched god knows how many videos from all sorts of folk such as Lydia, and Anthony Morghanti and they were adding 70+ sharpening on a lot of their images so assumed this was the norm :oops: :$

Must be something wrong with me then, I rarely touch sharpening (maybe up to 50 if it really needs it), find my files sharp enough a lot of the time at LR default. 70+ :eek:

@snerkler I think @Swanseajack may be correct, I dont shoot the birds so maybe thats why I dont need to dial in as much, mostly portraits and randoms where I dont need to pull that extreme fine detail.

Last edited:
So has there been any press release or info about when we can expect to see D750s back in the country?

I'm a bit worried about repair turn around times and I have some photo sessions coming up!

Landscapes, cars, bigger scenes/birds will take the extra sharpening, but I have found with smaller birds it doesn't take the extra oomph, especially with the larger crops usually involved.

@snerkler I think @Swanseajack may be correct, I dont shoot the birds so maybe thats why I dont need to dial in as much, mostly portraits and randoms where I dont need to pull that extreme fine detail.

Thanks guys. that's what I'm starting to think, the larger the crop the more exaggerated the sharpening will look. Yeah @twist, I tend to add more sharpening to wildlife and landscapes than I do people (on the rare occasion I've taken them) and sports etc.

What's odd though is that I've just checked the redpoll shot I keep referring to and it has +74 sharpening and that doesn't look OTT. The other strange thing is that on my computer the tit pics look no different to the redpoll in terms of oversharpening, they've all been output the same way, all cropped similarly yet the tit pics look oversharpened on Flickr and massively over sharpened on here.

Thanks guys. that's what I'm starting to think, the larger the crop the more exaggerated the sharpening will look. Yeah @twist, I tend to add more sharpening to wildlife and landscapes than I do people (on the rare occasion I've taken them) and sports etc.

What's odd though is that I've just checked the redpoll shot I keep referring to and it has +74 sharpening and that doesn't look OTT. The other strange thing is that on my computer the tit pics look no different to the redpoll in terms of oversharpening, they've all been output the same way, all cropped similarly yet the tit pics look oversharpened on Flickr and massively over sharpened on here.

Just had a look at your Flickr link for the Redpoll (DSC 5749) and it seems to be over sharpened, I can see a halo around bird. They may look less due to the different lighting conditions as they were taken in woodland and the BT are on your fence and probably a more open area with light?

Try my settings I listed earlier for the BT / Redpoll and see how it compares. You can then see whats upping the sharpening, you, Flickr or the forum.

Last edited:
So has there been any press release or info about when we can expect to see D750s back in the country?

I'm a bit worried about repair turn around times and I have some photo sessions coming up!

Are you planning to buy another D750 while you wait for the repair? Hiring will be much more cost effective I guess, unless you are planning to have two bodies.

Are you planning to buy another D750 while you wait for the repair? Hiring will be much more cost effective I guess, unless you are planning to have two bodies.

Will eventually get a 2nd if weddings go to plan and can afford another.

I'm waiting for repair but my mate wants a non imported D750 but struggling to find one and he said I could use it for the weddings if mine doesn't come back in time!

Errrrrggghhhhh he just told me he might get a 6D.....:eek:

Re: sharpening in LR it's interesting to read a lot of your don't use the masking value. I actually have mine set pretty high (80 or even 85 if an image I want to sharpen more), which allows me to take sharpening up to fairly high (40) values for pretty much all photos and as high as 60 for ones I really want to sharpen more (with the higher mask limiting what that affects).

I find that gives me a good edge where you expect an edge, but avoids creating too many artefacts. It doesn't however work with very high noise images...

not sure if any of that's helpful?

It's been an eye-opener to me reading how much sharpening you lot apply. Sharpening is the one thing I never mess with and just use the Lightroom default settings - whatever they are. :exit:

Just had a look at your Flickr link for the Redpoll (DSC 5749) and it seems to be over sharpened, I can see a halo around bird. They may look less due to the different lighting conditions as they were taken in woodland and the BT are on your fence and probably a more open area with light?

Try my settings I listed earlier for the BT / Redpoll and see how it compares. You can then see whats upping the sharpening, you, Flickr or the forum.
Thanks, I'll adjust it later.

Out of interest, do folk adjust sharpening to what looks best at normal viewing sizes, or what's best at 1:1?

@snerkler i barely add anything most of the time
Do you shoot JPEG then as RAW files look flat to me and at least need some contrast/curve adjustment, some sharpening and possibly some vibrance/saturation?

Thanks, I'll adjust it later.

Out of interest, do folk adjust sharpening to what looks best at normal viewing sizes, or what's best at 1:1?
100% zoom most of the time as recommended, but at times say with portraits, I go with 50% as minimum.

Re: sharpening in LR it's interesting to read a lot of your don't use the masking value. I actually have mine set pretty high (80 or even 85 if an image I want to sharpen more), which allows me to take sharpening up to fairly high (40) values for pretty much all photos and as high as 60 for ones I really want to sharpen more (with the higher mask limiting what that affects).

I find that gives me a good edge where you expect an edge, but avoids creating too many artefacts. It doesn't however work with very high noise images...

not sure if any of that's helpful?

I find masking really good for noise reduction too. As with everything, it is a careful balance before it looks liquidy

Do you shoot JPEG then as RAW files look flat to me and at least need some contrast/curve adjustment, some sharpening and possibly some vibrance/saturation?

When I say 'anything' I meant sharpening, of course I'll add contrast. Although I never tend to touch the vibrance/saturation sliders.

OK been looking into the redpoll pic, again looks fine on my computer but much sharper on flickr. I've tried reducing sharpness and not adding any screen sharpening on output and it still looks sharper on flickr. I've taken 1:1 screen shots of each and the difference is marked, not sure if it'll show on here.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-25%20at%2017.28.38_zpss7wzbvgs.png

Edit: Hmmm, you can see it but only just. Much more noticeable on my computer rather than posted via photobucket. Bloody flickr :LOL:

Last edited:
OK been looking into the redpoll pic, again looks fine on my computer but much sharper on flickr. I've tried reducing sharpness and not adding any screen sharpening on output and it still looks sharper on flickr. I've taken 1:1 screen shots of each and the difference is marked, not sure if it'll show on here.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-25%20at%2017.28.38_zpss7wzbvgs.png

Edit: Hmmm, you can see it but only just. Much more noticeable on my computer rather than posted via photobucket. Bloody flickr :LOL:

the one on the left is showing more detail on my 27 iMac

Yep, left is flickr, right is the original file on my Macbook.

Finally got around to finishing off the editing from last weekend's shoot with my gorgeous Other Half... I've posted half a dozen in the nude and glamour section but here's one that's safe for the group (I hope). :)

Great image :) She`s very photogenic.

I leave the standard setting in LR but the important sharpening is for output. LR is dire for output sharpening IMO. I always run a batch in PS with an action. Have played with mogrify but still can't match my PS web sharpen. Rare I bother to use selective sharpen, images tend to be sharp enough with minimal applied, my web settings are quite strong but happy with applying across most images.

Some places not showing D750 stock until 1st August :jawdrop:

Cameracentre is showing in stock but I agree there is a shortage at the moment.

Definitely get on the bell to Nikon CS though, they are helpful when you complain to them directly rather than jsut submitting online forms.

Anywhere with confirmed stock? (I'm waiting to hear back from CameraWorld).

Would really like to pick one up in the next couple of weeks, and rather not go down the grey/Panamoz/DigitalRev/HDEW route.

At my limit with how close I can get, was at the minimum focussing distance of my lens (which is a quite large 8ft), and then cropped heavily. Think I need a crop body for wildlife ;)

DOF about 6mm at 8ft at 600mm :eek:

DSC_7798
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back