Nikon D750 & D780

It's reports like your that have stopped me sending mine in. Currently I cant seem to find fault with mine and I'm worried that sending it in means it could come back faulty. I was thinking of trying to send it in after Skomer in July......then I planned two trips in August..... Then mid September it's the start of the deer rut.....then October/November it's seals and owls. There never seems to be a good time.

There have been so many issues with new Nikon cameras over the last 4-5 years, I don't think a single camera that's not been a d3xxx or d5xxx series camera hasn't had a fault at some point especially early models. As far as I'm aware the d7000, d7100, d600, d800, d750 and d4 have all had problems. In some ways it seems that recent 'model updates ' like the d7200, d610, d810, d4s all were really done in someways to sort out issues. The cynic in me would say some of the issues were done just to entice people to upgrade (limiting buffer on d7100). The oil spots and constant AF issues haven't helped nikons reputation. That said cameras coming back faulty after recalls definitely shouldn't happen.
I remember emailing them and asking directly about the faulty returns and if they could offer any assurances and they just dodged the question like a seasoned politician

How far are enthusiasts allowed to go?

Ok a little throw away comment, but I have seen some people lose a grip on reality where some interests are concerned, and not solely photography. You only need to justify your limits with gear to yourself but when your family suffer, well that's taking it a little too far in my book. Each to their own though.

It was a throw away comment, but you're right as with all things if taken to excess things get out of hand.

The problem with photography at least for me is that it skews the concept of what is cheap, then look at the way people talk on here, get a nifty fifty they say, it cheap, then the next one comes along and says, you don't want the fifty you want the Sigma art, no says the next, you need the 1.2...

It was a throw away comment, but you're right as with all things if taken to excess things get out of hand.

The problem with photography at least for me is that it skews the concept of what is cheap, then look at the way people talk on here, get a nifty fifty they say, it cheap, then the next one comes along and says, you don't want the fifty you want the Sigma art, no says the next, you need the 1.2...

I agree! It's very much in my nature to want the better things (disastrous concept in my former years as a student). I'm verrrrrrrrrry slowly coming round to the idea that you use the tools to get the shot done. On a little trip down south - if normally take all sorts of camera gear "just in case" but just have my iPhone and film camera.

That said I really want an 85mm for my digital camera again but struggling to justify buying one now - still waiting for the 85 f1.4 art!!

I'm with you, I often fall between "needing" something and considering packing it all in, but that's an issue with me wanting to buy things more than actually using them, that and I never think my pics are good enough but am unsure how to take them to the next level

Well, I've just sold my D750 (again) !

Nothing wrong with the camera but it just wasn't getting used since getting the D500 (which I love). I know they are two completely different beasts and that the D750 is still one of the very best High ISO machines from the Nikon Stable (D5 and DF not withstanding), but I find the D500 suitable up to around ISO 6400 (sometimes 12,800 if I nail the exposure), and for when I want full frame goodness (shallow DOF, DR etc), I have my wonderful D810.I really do prefer the pro layouts of the D500 and D810 to the ones on the D750/D7200, but it still is mighty fine camera in it's own rights.

The only things (asides high ISO) that the D750 (for me anyway) trumps the other two is a) similar type cards slots rather the CF/SD for the D810 and XQD/SD for the D500 and b) the U1, U2 modes which are much better implementations than shooting banks on the other two.

I'm sure I will miss it but am determined to not purchase it for a 3rd time (famous last words) :D

However If Nikon drop another bomb on us at Photokina (like they did earlier this year with the D500) and announce a true D700 successor with the D750 sensor and the D500 type body, well that would be a different matter !

Sent mine in on Monday got a confirmation email on Wednesday with details to track repair
Getting a bit worried now, sent mine in on Tuesday morning and still not had confirmation of receipt. I was a little concerned as after hunting around for about an hour to find a load of black plastic to wrap the original box in so you couldn't see any trace of the word NIKON I found that the postage label they sent clearly shows all and sundry what is in the package. Thought they would of used a discreet PO BOX number, think I'll have to give them a ring this morning.

53k on the clock but shutter replaced at 51k, plus is UK. Yep, not a bad price, but I'd hope for quite a bit more sold privately.

What would you expect for the camera on here, if you declared the 53k shutter count for overall body use?...What's the going rate on here, ebay and AVF?

What would you expect for the camera on here, if you declared the 53k shutter count for overall body use?...What's the going rate on here, ebay and AVF?
Dunno TBH, not seen any with this kind of count. Just seen Minnnt's and wondered if mine being UK vs grey would offset the number of actuations, especially considering mine has a new shutter. Obviously I appreciate wear on the other parts, but people seem to be more concerned with shutter actuations than wear elsewhere. I've not seen anything where mirrors etc need replacing through wear and tear.

Dunno TBH, not seen any with this kind of count. Just seen Minnnt's and wondered if mine being UK vs grey would offset the number of actuations, especially considering mine has a new shutter. Obviously I appreciate wear on the other parts, but people seem to be more concerned with shutter actuations than wear elsewhere. I've not seen anything where mirrors etc need replacing through wear and tear.

Thought you maybe had a price in mind as you stated "but I'd hope for quite a bit more sold privately". I would have thought it would be worth around the £900 mark. Is your camera one of the early ones? if so, then grey vs UK doesn't really affect the price then, as it maybe out of warranty.

Thought you maybe had a price in mind as you stated "but I'd hope for quite a bit more sold privately". I would have thought it would be worth around the £900 mark. Is your camera one of the early ones? if so, then grey vs UK doesn't really affect the price then, as it maybe out of warranty.

Thing is @snerkler your exif says 53k.

:D

Also, uk vs grey is less relevant when the camera is used as Nikon UK warranties aren't transferable are they? Panamoz warranty is.

Well, unless they go kaput that is.

Hmmm, interesting. I always thought people still preferred to pay more for UK, guess I'm wrong then :p In which case £860 doesn't sound that bad, although clearly less than I'd hoped for ;) D810 idea might be going on the back burner for a while.

I'm nearly gas-less camera wise but I do seem to be hoovering up photography books and lighting kit :/

I too have a tendency to want the best available. I have gone through the upgrade process and decided that having lost money in the process I should have just bought what I really wanted in the first place, but then I needed to be sure that it would be a long term purchase. Luckily for me, I don't tend to flit from one interest to another. I buy decent stuff and hang on to it for along time, which works out long-term.

I am very glad though that I have absolute zero interest in snapping wildlife or sport, those lenses could potentially ruin a marriage.

Bit like you Simon, my gear should last me years now and have been accumulating / upgrading slowly my lighting kit. I have mellowed with age but I know people that have an unhealthy obsession with GAS.

My passion for many years, less so in recent, was fishing. I have seen people give up all manners of a normal life to go chase fish. Marriages lost; hefty loans taken out to fund their obsession; good jobs thrown away, and all for a scrapbook of fish to show for it all. Each to their own hey. I really do enjoy my hobbys but..

I'm nearly gas-less camera wise but I do seem to be hoovering up photography books and lighting kit :/
Books are so tempting, cheap compared to equipment and far too easy to purchase with a couple of clicks. In no time you can end up having bought a camera's worth of books!

Terrific!!! Just got of the phone from Nikon service and they have no trace of having received my camera, they are going to have to get in touch with Parcel Force and try and track where it might be. Not a good start, why do I have little confidence that this is going to go smoothly and be trouble free. This is why I was reluctant to send back before although it was affected under both recalls.

Terrific!!! Just got of the phone from Nikon service and they have no trace of having received my camera, they are going to have to get in touch with Parcel Force and try and track where it might be. Not a good start, why do I have little confidence that this is going to go smoothly and be trouble free. This is why I was reluctant to send back before although it was affected under both recalls.
That's really not good at all, hope they find it quickly. I can't obviously jump to conclusions that it's Nikon's fault as it may well be parcel force, but I don't have much faith in Nikon service at the mo.

Bloody hell that's bad, I hope it works out

Last edited:
That's really not good at all, hope they find it quickly. I can't obviously jump to conclusions that it's Nikon's fault as it may well be parcel force, but I don't have much faith in Nikon service at the mo.

Did they fix your camera properly Toby?

I think that's realistic and maybe a bit on the high side, especially as all the issues its had are well documented. Grey vs UK makes no difference second hand, if @minnnt cant shift his at £950 I think it'd struggle to fetch that (as David's has a warranty as well)

However, it's worth what someone will pay for it and you may get lucky on eBay/gumtree etc

O dear I went through the route of the post office iv had better dealings with these then the men in the delivery vans, hope.you get things sorted swiftly

Books are so tempting, cheap compared to equipment and far too easy to purchase with a couple of clicks. In no time you can end up having bought a camera's worth of books!

And totally addictive..

You can see the process though.. oo, book of pretty pictures .. I could do that if only I had XX lighting .. technique book .. more lighting kit .. repeat

Last edited:
And totally addictive..

You can see the process though.. oo, book of pretty pictures .. I could do that if only I XX lighting .. technique book .. more lighting kit .. repeat
Luckily for me my obsession is documentary photography, so I don't start gassing for more equipment. I just keep wanting more books.

Panic over, just had email from Nikon they found it and it's now booked in awaiting repair. Not sure why they couldn't find it this morning but relieved it's there, hope it won't be two long before they start repair.

Glad to hear :) Is little worrying they couldn't find it...

Been undecided whether to sell my D750 due to lack of use and then I picked it up again the other night and took this of the cat, it was almost dark with not much light in the room at all and to top it all she is black.
It focused without hesitation and at an ISO of 12800, I then remembered why I bought it in the first place.
Black Cat @ ISO12800 by Chris Wright, on Flickr

Last edited:
Proud dad seeing his little boy all grown up ready for school!

aFa27hI.jpg

Back