Nikon D750 & D780

I've found out this because I probably don't have exposure preview set to enabled (page 64). I don't have my D750 at present so I can't check but it sounds good that it works with yours. It make ETTR much easier to do.
I don't have my camera on me at the mo either but IIRC you can choose what cycles through the display in the menus somewhere. Unless I'm getting confused with another camera ;)

Edit: just checked the manual and histogram is only present when exposure preview is enabled.

Last edited:
Shutter stays open for thirty minutes or until you press on the shutter a second time. With bulb the shutter only stays open whilst the shutter button is depressed or held open with the cable shutter lock held open, whereas with time the first shutter press opens the shutter and the second shutter press closes the shutter (or it times out after 30 minutes and closes the shutter).

Nikon do an app where you can download the manuals and view them on your phone, it's very useful to check some whilst out and about.
Are the manuals free from the app? I've always downloaded the manuals from the web in PDF and saved them to the phone in iBooks.

Had my first err message today after connecting a Sigma tc 1401 today in the shop.
It basically went into mirror lock up. had to take the the tc off and press the shutter again. put the 150-600 back on and all was fine. then reconnected the tc and lens. all was fine and no issues. brought it home and tested again. all fine and dandy.
Very weird

Had my first err message today after connecting a Sigma tc 1401 today in the shop.
It basically went into mirror lock up. had to take the the tc off and press the shutter again. put the 150-600 back on and all was fine. then reconnected the tc and lens. all was fine and no issues. brought it home and tested again. all fine and dandy.
Very weird
Did you have the lens connected at the time? Being a total noob but I read you have to connect the tc to the lens 1st. Is that correct?

Sorry connected the tc to the camera first.
Then the sigma 150-600 to the tc. turned on and when to take a shot then it froze up.
Never thought if there was a certain way it was to be connected as the guy in the shop never said otherwise but tried it again and all is good.
Hopefully take it all out tomorrow for a play.

* Just read the instruction booklet and it says to attach the tc to the lens first then all to the camera.
Shame the guy in the shop didn't say I was doing it incorrect.

Last edited:
User error strikes again. I thought I'd somehow managed to lose half the shots I'd taken today when I looked through them on the camera's screen.

Turns out I'd altered which folder showed on review. :coat:

Anyway. Here's the Last Supper courtesy of highlight priority metering.

Jc-UUziQvdZmsSRaeTvVwDmXS8r8xDVfw0NZoY8fy2gZA9sGmixgws4R5U0DJZhNfLfeCgfzWoYo4dwaj-6UKnXUXwA3_d1rRmUSiLCWrQJf-_dBNiF5_zyYaXRQJKXxAhByuj6Ps6osupVsippy23SO0aAPyR_oOnb1kHC39US952S1aUUek7Qk2XmzsDGkq4MzK9o5HBB9oJDDJgFBOOo89vQQAxaX_TV43qc_qmJdUnxp323phjCo0tKWQwbokjQd9i-iPMERIcFT5jlpkd5F3a0lT1MMmZ8Z5pZrdUFq1GDqmrDPe0qZjbd9SgoY7-YCE5vR7z8pqC-NsD9hpfChIuvRzDIMH3M_y6fCF4Nw4-3HIQyByH0UhosmxpjBmuzriyDy6qQDbrXh6R-o7biScl2gnskkSGROQcxu7OMtLbk83usQvj3rz_8-N_iUw2_FzQ2mcnV-qQ1Su6f1wiL-V62iLROCD2l2uEcMwbhR8ZssO_FjIdlJxvUDKzlTMkT9RKkBUNeG77rmHiTyKMtBaCGS0RcQ-wOxAx5u8QLh7atzxaU6v70gIpVUrnpO_eD2HfQ2l1dz4h34MRhf-I78l--GEAvM6L6MgVYy8P5UB0mOCA=w900-h601-no

And a chicken because we haven't had one for a while. :D

vimAq5n6q7cv0lOE-yRqHwQ46ufUGLtYvIHSWVmgEx8-vzpRCHfLDsvvnKfpceAHWBR5ivZVCCJvlKNsY_oE7qV2ZyGW7Bk5jW3xi1dtzBBrmIE1vleL02MfeCu4IJMa84X_-soebnnm1f9EAj9kPLdabC5xeqdTk7Rl2js0Z6EJ2tvk4FBnxHsFyLt0VU6-60-YxF2WsL4GQlI071MAfmo4Eu_LYUjnF-F7l9j_dDAbruqmBdZPsSpeiKzG8oLdjhiIQ38VjV8rPjQXk2OxB-4f25yc0haKwIY8RDiVw0_yw9LVQxEsrPfWZCpKG9x9nU5Ihl5EhfcowaLdnn3-nWIEMs_tW_ulbao5ai8rrCmFFm7XN0I6DFsLtdx0vbKOUydZQrRkHyYtKovy6Y4SflfgpODg9JGOiZJLI0ptAesbgbjOs2TdTrVQU7D7uvAbNcZSvWFmFL8GI-1dbtFEttuoF-K5g3IeFBVc2KkXbsAjkibsNOPW56t4PrQ1pkHbjqzY9ZusvUP1tn0xdde3427Vg4ggyHlcfXzYUn-_k6i3zzcjpM54qtGRH-1tQmhHJ01jSiaGjLlYLj4Lgx5v1EQ45ihWfAiYW7XHVw-FOP7-olKVmw=w473-h707-no

Then the sigma 150-600 to the tc. turned on and when to take a shot then it froze up.
Never thought if there was a certain way it was to be connected as the guy in the shop never said otherwise but tried it again and all is good.

* Just read the instruction booklet and it says to attach the tc to the lens first then all to the camera.
Phewwww, i don't even own a TC lol

Here is my 1st real photo with my D750, its my lacal town, St Raphael, South of France.
I know its not like some of your shots but hey.
Manual mode, a H U G E Irix 15mm lens, I dont remember the settings though so click on the pic if you want to know.

St Raphael beach by Graham, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
I dont normally post via Flickr code but I have this time and it dont work....Grrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

Did you attach it or post the link directly into your text?
I copied the code and then clicked on the box that said "insert" and added it there.

I copied the code and then clicked on the box that said "insert" and added it there.
That's where you went wrong ;) Just post the link directly into the text.

With teleconverters being so simple I don't think anyone reads the instructions as honestly knows there should be a specific method of connecting. The Nikon TC instructions say lens first then attach the lens/TC combo to the camera. Though I've never had a error code appear over the 5-6 years I've been using them and I'm sure I must have connected to the camera first in the past. Canon say the same too. I think it has something to do with a contact connection the teleconverter makes when attached to the camera, without the lens attached it sends the error signal even though the camera isnt turned on.

Well that was a proper pooh finish too the weekend. glorious weather this morning ideal conditions for the new tc.
Only to have to be clearing up and after some thieving scum broken into the mil's house late last night.
It was that bad after only 3hrs sleep I had a green woodpecker land about 30ft away from me, I couldn't even be bothered to reach for the camera

Well that was a proper pooh finish too the weekend. glorious weather this morning ideal conditions for the new tc.
Only to have to be clearing up and after some thieving scum broken into the mil's house late last night.
It was that bad after only 3hrs sleep I had a green woodpecker land about 30ft away from me, I couldn't even be bothered to reach for the camera

:(

Spent yesterday using the Black Rapid Cross Shot Breathe, think its actually my favourite strap to date. Feels much nicer on the shoulder than any of the others and its super light and easy to pack too.

Just editing the wedding from the weekend. D750 performed admirably, took most with the Sigma art 35mm. The camera coped so well with the changing lighting condition, and even focussing outside in near pitch black conditions...

Now I need a second one...

Been shooting more lately with the 610 to save a little mileage on the 750 and there's some minor differences in the mid range that I noticed on processing yesterday. Not much in it but very slightly favouring the 750 in difficult situations.

I need to get used to using my strap again in readiness for this wedding, I'm not a fan of them generally, they get in the way.

Loaded up my Streetwalker backpack today but decided I defiantly don't want to take that to Scotland with me. Its quite large and bulky.

All what I need fits in my Think Tank Urban Approach 10, but its just not quite padded enough for travels (and could do with being a tiny bit deeper).

The retro 7 might work, although I found the 5 not great as the flap was too long for the Velcro. Maybe it was a bad copy!

That much detail and sharp looking
There's a lot of variables, but arguably the most important is the atmosphere. I shot one a few nights earlier and it was pants. Sometimes the atmosphere is so much clearer and it makes all the difference. After this make sure you know the sweet spot of the lens (you might have noticed I shot it at 550mm rather than 600mm), shoot on a tripod and either with a shutter release or timer. Also remember that the moon actually moves faster than you might think so make sure shutter speed is high enough.

Back