Nikon D750 & D780

There's a lot of variables, but arguably the most important is the atmosphere. I shot one a few nights earlier and it was pants. Sometimes the atmosphere is so much clearer and it makes all the difference. After this make sure you know the sweet spot of the lens (you might have noticed I shot it at 550mm rather than 600mm), shoot on a tripod and either with a shutter release or timer. Also remember that the moon actually moves faster than you might think so make sure shutter speed is high enough.
Try taking a shot soon after a windy day/night, for me the skies always look clearer.

Try taking a shot soon after a windy day/night, for me the skies always look clearer.
I've not noticed this before so will try to look out for it in future. Cold crisp nights like tonight have always been the best for me.

There's a lot of variables, but arguably the most important is the atmosphere. I shot one a few nights earlier and it was pants. Sometimes the atmosphere is so much clearer and it makes all the difference. After this make sure you know the sweet spot of the lens (you might have noticed I shot it at 550mm rather than 600mm), shoot on a tripod and either with a shutter release or timer. Also remember that the moon actually moves faster than you might think so make sure shutter speed is high enough.

Yes completely forgot about sweet spot. rather than just wacking it up to 600mm.

Yes completely forgot about sweet spot. rather than just wacking it up to 600mm.
I've just noticed from the flickr EXIF that it was actually shot at 600mm, I must have knocked the zoom ring and not realised. I'm surprised at the detail if it was truly at 600mm then, just shows it's not as bad at 600mm as people make it out to be ;) (TBH I think it's probably more a case that it was just over 550mm and registered it as 600mm ;))

Been shooting with the 24-120 over the weekend and I find it quite a mixed bag of results.

My copy is pretty good for a 5 x zoom and I do find the focal length quite versitile, but also I think it makes me quite lazy and looking back at some of the shots, my framing could have been better.

Having previously been using a 35/85 combo, I do find the 24-120 a much user friendly lens, but the overall results are not as good. I am not relying in the VR as I was shooting at quite fast speeds (moving child!).

This leads me to what I do about my friends wedding in Scotland come January and well, the 24-120 in general.

I was never happy shooting with the 35/85 combo. My favourite focal length is definatly the 50 (I know some people love the 35mm focal length, but thing its a personal thing).

So as another bout of GAS sets in I am thinking of trying out the 24mm f1.8g alongside the 50mm and maybe get ANOTHER 85mm f1.8g (or just not worry about the 85).

I know I would lose the 85-120 focal length and the zoom, but I do also have a 70-200.

Can someone please just tell me its a bad idea so I can get these thoughts way from my head!!

If I get a 24, I cant afford to keep the 24-120.

Thoughts, debate, opinions, banter....

Last edited:
Been shooting with the 24-120 over the weekend and I find it quite a mixed bag of results.

My copy is pretty good for a 5 x zoom and I do find the focal length quite versitile, but also I think it makes me quite lazy and looking back at some of the shots, my framing could have been better.

Having previously been using a 35/85 combo, I do find the 24-120 a much user friendly lens, but the overall results are not as good. I am not relying in the VR as I was shooting at quite fast speeds (moving child!).

This leads me to what I do about my friends wedding in Scotland come January and well, the 24-120 in general.

I was never happy shooting with the 35/85 combo. My favourite focal length is definatly the 50 (I know some people love the 35mm focal length, but thing its a personal thing).

So as another bout of GAS sets in I am thinking of trying out the 24mm f1.8g alongside the 50mm and maybe get ANOTHER 85mm f1.8g (or just not worry about the 85).

I know I would lose the 85-120 focal length and the zoom, but I do also have a 70-200.

Can someone please just tell me its a bad idea so I can get these thoughts way from my head!!

Sorry, I'm not going to help but I wouldn't use the 24-120mm if I was a wedding tog. I'm really happy with mine, and think that images are more than god enough. However, the AF just isn't up to the job, especially as light drops. I'd want instant AF and you don't get this with the 24-120mm in dark venues. I'd hate to miss that ll important moment because you're waiting for the AF to lock. At the last wedding I went to the outer points really struggled at the night do and so I had to use the centre and focus recompose for some shots.

Sorry, I'm not going to help but I wouldn't use the 24-120mm if I was a wedding tog. I'm really happy with mine, and think that images are more than god enough. However, the AF just isn't up to the job, especially as light drops. I'd want instant AF and you don't get this with the 24-120mm in dark venues. I'd hate to miss that ll important moment because you're waiting for the AF to lock. At the last wedding I went to the outer points really struggled at the night do and so I had to use the centre and focus recompose for some shots.

Its all good help! My outer points on my D750 have struggled before using the outer points too. I don't think I missed too much using the 35/85 combo, other than not enjoying the 35mm focal length, which probably didnt help my cause!

The venue I was at Saturday, I wouldn't have stood a chance shooting at f4, was already high ISO. Either the 24 or 28 would go nicely with a 50. But I'm in the 35/85 camp

If you were never happy shooting with a 35/85 combo would a 24/50/85 combo be any different? Are you doing your friends wedding as a favour (i.e. Not paid)? If it's a favour have you thought about asking them to pay for a lens rental? A couple of my friends have done this before. If you are doing them a favour saving them potentially £1000-1500 on a pro most people don't mind paying £60-80 to hire a lens if it's gong to help you get their wedding images.

Last edited:
If you were never happy shooting with a 35/85 combo would a 24/50/85 combo be any different? Are you doing your friends wedding as a favour (i.e. Not paid)? If it's a favour have you thought about asking them to pay for a lens rental? A couple of my friends have done this before. If you are doing them a favour saving them potentially £1000-1500 on a pro most people don't mind paying £60-80 to hire a lens if it's gong to help you get their wedding images.

But that doesn't satisfy the GAS cravings :D

Because I enjoy using the 50mm, and not the 35mm focal length!

And GAS!

Hi,
Ok here's a shot I took a couple of weeks ago, South of France, a very pretty village called moustier ste Marie, a very picturesque place but my god its full of tourists.
This is a 4 or 5 shot vertical panoramic taken with a new lens, the IRIX 15mm firefly.
Well you wanted more photos on here lol
2016-11-08_09-53-49.jpg

Hi,
Ok here's a shot I took a couple of weeks ago, South of France, a very pretty village called moustier ste Marie, a very picturesque place but my god its full of tourists.
This is a 4 or 5 shot vertical panoramic taken with a new lens, the IRIX 15mm firefly.
View attachment 77016
Woah, that messes with my eyes ;)

2016-11-08_10-16-34.jpg Living life on the very edge.
Taken a few miles from the last photo, love this shot, caught him at the right moment.
Below him is a 1000 foot drop
View attachment 77019

Last edited:

So do you have multiple camera bodies? Or are you going to be swapping the prime lenses during the wedding? The latter doesn't sound that practical to me tbh

What about 24-70 f2.8? That's what I'm planning on going with for a family wedding in a few weeks time...although I will have 70-300 too if needed and that may suit better for candids from further away.

Bloomin clear blue skies show up the crap on your sensor. Had to clean this one up in Lightroom. Tomorrow I'll have to clean the sensor.

3YA6Tnci-krqIfX9z17hgvTEfl6NV2oiLA42Rbq6MR-Bv9IJ_PVtJYn8ofZOjC_3wT0xGX97PBrvcHKuYPJDDKfXC9P7p1pzA2UjJYeRTIa9oBgPL1Pg5N3JnyWn6RqjGr_tJ8P0FXQIlknCHpHjt1xo3Efb1rk81X7fqO2ZLWgzX_mMyOF-Tw9CSRN1hj94fEvdvz5k1HsOnuxnwVBf8p0skKRcI-ycQb0ZKBUT5XcfiFa-B8jNSXDst2mcwQ2PaLPyASW3R52kPRWY33CclS0954qTP132n0Cht9uLHI-fs9ANj5I_0faT02VC-c2w2eY9mktSwXz8uJmwVcegzvP3Lv_NhvSNB_-egAk5r0oj_nWSj3KcPW78V3MJPKrO4p8CMdDJ93-yLeBjN07ny0xCYZj9bGVwfe8ub1QFuLAQPZeXD6hVEk3wHem5Yicw9IXLQJSeQQQGLCOfmHtywkIBMHQUUSGcED-63WWPTAYsXvwn8gN4vZRAosLICDsgFVyw7Wq9WaBAI_vF7VuCGszFwfj3lENl4GHE03XrkTnVLqpXkMRJuYVT22RO3XAI8Q7m42VJ5srKvTyqgWdjewihGee_Vll-A19QdxAqkYh97FwC6Q=w900-h601-no

Really like those, can't decide which is best. Stupid question but was it genuinely a pier once upon a time?
Thanks. I honestly don't know what it was for, I don't think it was ever any wider that it is now. Behind where I was standing there with is the remains of a level concrete path from the beach through the rocks leading the the pier..

Here's another shot from my town.
1478718822978.jpg

Hi,
View attachment 77016
B hell need to get the builders in to check that lot out:)

Back