Nikon D750 & D780

I think FX has the advantage when it comes to primes though. I like my 28/50 combo and not sure how you can replicate that on DX?

Yeah I realise that FF are always more centrally located, but I must admit I thought it was more to do with the amount of light hitting the AF module rather than due to sharing between systems. Obviously as the crop has a smaller image circle the AF points are effectively spread further across the frame. Either way, I do hope that the D750 replacement has cross type on the outer points. I can't see why it wouldn't as I would imagine it'll use a version of that in the D5/D500.
I seem to remember that that when Nikon first introduced a full frame model they just transferred the focusing engine over, and have stuck with it ever since.

Not just that. The spread of AF is brill too as you have the whole frame to work with

And the ability to lock on the subject. If FPS and spread was everything, you'd all be looking at the e-m1 mk2 ;)

And the ability to lock on the subject. If FPS and spread was everything, you'd all be looking at the e-m1 mk2 ;)
You can lock on the subject with the D750 too (y)

With all this talk of the D500 I thought I would post some of my D750 archive images I've just got round to processing:

One from 2015:

Skomer Island Puffin
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

One from 2016:

Skomer Island Puffin.
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Whilst there is always going to be something more accurate, faster and just better spec wise I think I'm better off spending 'upgrade' money on trips where I have better chances to get great images. I'm trying to quell GAS purchases, I'm pretty happy with the D750 and can't see it going anywhere any time soon. Its pretty much the perfect camera for me in performance and size.

Last edited:
This is the wife's favourite, which I picked holes in lol

22 years young! by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr
It's a great shot. I prefer "fly by" though as it fills the frame more. I'd have cropped the 22 years young one a touch, not too much mind and certainly not to fill the frame.

It's a great shot. I prefer "fly by" though as it fills the frame more. I'd have cropped the 22 years young one a touch, not too much mind and certainly not to fill the frame.

It's a little soft so was a bit worried about cropping it too much. I did take a lot more after so they start to fill the frame a bit more.

With all this talk of the D500 I thought I would post some of my D750 archive images I've just got round to processing:

One from 2015:

Skomer Island Puffin
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

One from 2016:

Skomer Island Puffin.
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Whilst there is always going to be something more accurate, faster and just better spec wise I think I'm better off spending 'upgrade' money on trips where I have better chances to get great images. I'm trying to quell GAS purchases, I'm pretty happy with the D75 and can't see it going anywhere any time soon. Its pretty much the perfect camera for me in performance and size.

With you on this Rob. I follow a couple of togs that use D300's and the like and their stuff is inspirational to say the least, so the limitation is definitely me. I plan to run mine into the ground before upgrading in prob two bodies time. I don't need anything more from a camera.

It's a little soft so was a bit worried about cropping it too much. I did take a lot more after so they start to fill the frame a bit more.
Didn't look soft to me TBH, but obviously something smaller in the frame is not going to look as sharp/detailed as something closer and much bigger in the frame.

Going to see if my otter family is still about when the weather gets better. Never had the time this year due to house renovations.

Other half would see puffins so going to try and get that sorted this year.

Going to Cyprus for 2 weeks in the summer so defo taking the d750 there.

This is the wife's favourite, which I picked holes in lol

22 years young! by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

I prefer animals and wildlife, especially birds, to have more room to look into, rather than central compositions. Have you tried cropping from the left hand side? Will it work for this type of photography?

Going to see if my otter family is still about when the weather gets better. Never had the time this year due to house renovations.

Other half would see puffins so going to try and get that sorted this year.

Going to Cyprus for 2 weeks in the summer so defo taking the d750 there.
I've had several different smaller cameras for holidays, including my current XT1 but none have lived up to the D750 and so I am considering just 'biting the bullet' and taking my D750 on hols. I thought I was happy with the XT1 but took it out on a hike yesterday and several images had the painterly effect again and I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up selling it. I thought I'd figured out how to not get this effect but alas it seems I was wrong. Shame as the lenses are really nice and I think it renders people and skin tones really nice.

I have thought about chopping in all the Fuji stuff and buying the D500 so that I can use lighter DX lenses for travel and also have a 2nd body, but it's not really that much of a weight saving (200g or so when combined with the 16-80 vs D750 with 24-120) and I'm not sure when/if I'd choose it over the D750. It would be useful to have two bodies for when I go to the F1 this year but it's a big expense for one or two occasions :LOL:

Last edited:
I prefer animals and wildlife, especially birds, to have more room to look into, rather than central compositions. Have you tried cropping from the left hand side? Will it work for this type of photography?
I tend (although not exclusively) to compose that way too, i.e. Rule of thirds with the animal facing into the frame.

I've had several different smaller cameras for holidays, including my current XT1 but none have lived up to the D750 and so I am considering just 'biting the bullet' and taking my D750 on hols. I thought I was happy with the XT1 but took it out on a hike yesterday and several images had the painterly effect again and I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up selling it. I thought I'd figured out how to not get this effect but alas it seems I was wrong. Shame as the lenses are really nice and I think it renders people and skin tones really nice.

I have thought about chopping in all the Fuji stuff and buying the D500 so that I can use lighter DX lenses for travel and also have a 2nd body, but it's not really that much of a weight saving (200g or so when combined with the 16-80 vs D750 with 24-120) and I'm not sure when/if I'd choose it over the D750. It would be useful to have two bodies for when I go to the F1 this year but it's a big expense for one or two occasions :LOL:

Go on get a d500 have best of both world. I reckon I end up doing this

I agree! I have a cropped version too - but only on Facebook! And you are right - it looks a but better!

One from 2015:

Skomer Island Puffin
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

One from 2016:

Skomer Island Puffin.
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Whilst there is always going to be something more accurate, faster and just better spec wise I think I'm better off spending 'upgrade' money on trips where I have better chances to get great images. I'm trying to quell GAS purchases, I'm pretty happy with the D750 and can't see it going anywhere any time soon. Its pretty much the perfect camera for me in performance and size.
Have to agree,its the one camera I regret selling but needed the money to build a cat house

Go on get a d500 have best of both world. I reckon I end up doing this
I just think the D500 wouldn't be used much and it's a huge investment. Sensible option would be a D7200 but I can't cope with the noise ;)

Oh no ,not the dreaded painterly effect again lol

You'd just come to the same conclusion as all your other small sensor cameras, then think, why did I buy this DX camera again, I'm using all my fx lenses with it anyway, i have a few slighly smaller dx lenses gathering dust and my expenditure has just doubled. Then its Facepalm time.

I just think the D500 wouldn't be used much and it's a huge investment. Sensible option would be a D7200 but I can't cope with the noise ;)

It you may love the d500 more and decide it can be a one system [emoji106]

Back