Nikon D750 & D780

Looooooooooool.

No banter this time, I mean every word of it. :D

And I mean every word too I WAS NOT ASKING FOR ADVICE... was only commmenting...

See that ignore button PRESS IT.... Sick and tired of your banter...

Only went to Sony as wanted to go lighter and it wasn't really that much lighter and got fed up pressing wrong buttons while camera at the eye.. I would of gone straightt back to D750 but instead I went D500... Don't get me wrong it a great camera but there something about the D750

That enough from me I was only commenting not asking for advice the past few posts.. I AM NOT ASKING FOR ADVICE

And I mean every word too I WAS NOT ASKING FOR ADVICE... was only commmenting...

I'll take that as a no then regarding the tuition/mentor question. :LOL:

I'll take that as a no then regarding the tuition/mentor question. :LOL:

I personally think it you that needs mentoring as your totalling ignoring me what i just bloody said.. THAT ENOUGH END OFFFFFF Before I report to mods

I've found listening to Metallica whilst reading this thread really has really enhanced the experience of late.

:woot:

Don't worry I am not saying anymore some people are on the ignore list as it is now.. I had a sit back and was reading through most things and just commenting WASNT asking anything and I still get the bash.. Might as well just leave this forum as they just a few people that try to have a dig..

Don't worry I am not saying anymore some people are on the ignore list as it is now.. I had a sit back and was reading through most things and just commenting WASNT asking anything and I still get the bash.. Might as well just leave this forum as they just a few people that try to have a dig..

And BAM.... the thread has died. :(

Out of interest, who uses UV or protective filters on their lenses?

I don`t any more. One time (I think with 50mm) I had a strange green flare issue, shooting into light. So after a quick google, I found the answer ... UV filter caused it :)

Lovely image that, I do admire your photo work.. Not seen the food for a while ha ha

Thanks Rookies. Will post food shots soon.

See you are contemplating a return to the dark side. The D500 is a fantastic camera although I wouldn't buy one for my needs. What do you see missing in the D500?

I need some advice from people here on location for shooting landscapes in England and Wales.

Bit of a background first.I bought my first car although I don't need one as I usually commute to work by public transport. One key reason to buy the car apart from social and convenience factors was getting out of London for photography. I have been to places in the past and one challenge was we had to come back from locations before golden hour as either there were no public transport at that time or other logistics issues.

I want to make best use of the months between April and Oct this year.

I would appreciate if you all can suggest some places I could go and shoot god landscape, scenic villages and countryside , any tips on parking, time of the year etc. I live in Wembley area.

I need some advice from people here on location for shooting landscapes in England and Wales.

Bit of a background first.I bought my first car although I don't need one as I usually commute to work by public transport. One key reason to buy the car apart from social and convenience factors was getting out of London for photography. I have been to places in the past and one challenge was we had to come back from locations before golden hour as either there were no public transport at that time or other logistics issues.

I want to make best use of the months between April and Oct this year.

I would appreciate if you all can suggest some places I could go and shoot god landscape, scenic villages and countryside , any tips on parking, time of the year etc. I live in Wembley area.
how far are you willing to travel from home mate. it will make it a bit easier for people to give you some ideas

Say up to 4 hrs initially and then up to 6 hrs or more

Well The Peak District has plenty of interest for you, Brecon Beacons, Norfolk, Cotswolds, literally a lifetimes worth of landscape ideas. Would you be stopping over or going back the same day?

Thanks David. Peak district is something I want to cover well. I would definitely stopping over as a day trip will be too short. Any particular place you suggest as a base to cover the area?

Shropshire in general has a load of possibility's if your over that way, not far from the peaks The long Mynd, with a few old mines around that area, lots of national trust property's not far off as well

Let's talk about D750 :)

I was in my LPS yesterday, AGAIN, looking at D750, love the camera, but struggling to reach the bottom of my deep pocket:). Have been looking at D610 as well, nice camera, but think the 750 may have the edge. I do like the ability to tilt the screen, but concerned about longevity of the ribbon which communicates, but also aware that it wont be used every shot, certainly only a minority of low macro shots, which then makes me think do I really need the tilt screen, I think the image quality of 610 and 750 is not really that far apart, can any one confirm this?:nikon:

how far are you willing to travel from home mate. it will make it a bit easier for people to give you some ideas

I am going through a spell of finding local, subjects, areas to photograph, ranging from city scapes to open country, all accessable by bike or train, certainly keeps you on your toes, and broadening my knowledge of photography. Makes life a bit more interesting.

I was in my LPS yesterday, AGAIN, looking at D750, love the camera, but struggling to reach the bottom of my deep pocket:). Have been looking at D610 as well, nice camera, but think the 750 may have the edge. I do like the ability to tilt the screen, but concerned about longevity of the ribbon which communicates, but also aware that it wont be used every shot, certainly only a minority of low macro shots, which then makes me think do I really need the tilt screen, I think the image quality of 610 and 750 is not really that far apart, can any one confirm this?:nikon:

I never had the D610 but did have the D600 which is the same thing sensor wise, your right there isn't really a difference IQ wise, maybe at higher ISO's but I can't imagine its much. The main difference is the AF system which in my opinion is far superior on the D750, I also preferred the handling of it as it had a much nicer grip than the D6xx bodies. That tilt screen is handy, I really missed it when I gave up the D750 and bought an X-Pro 2 and then D810 again, not sure I'd buy a camera without one now (except maybe an X-Pro2 as a secondary camera...)

Thanks David. Peak district is something I want to cover well. I would definitely stopping over as a day trip will be too short. Any particular place you suggest as a base to cover the area?

Well it's quite vast as you can imagine and is split into a Dark Peak area and a White Peak area. Are you wanting 'run of the mill' touristy kinda places or somewhere a little off of the beaten track?

Castleton would be a good base for covering Winnats Pass, Mam Tor etc but it is busy pretty much all the time as it is easily accessible.

Dovedale is a nice place. There's a nice walk that follows the river and is very scenic. The tops there (Bunster Hill and Thorpe Cloud) are often less populated as they're pretty steep to get up.

Dovestone has 3 reservoirs, big car park toilet facilities and usually an ice cream van to boot. Plenty to explore around there and is not too far away from Manchester. There are big cliff faces which can give a great view of the valleys.

The Dove Valley is home to Chrome and Parkhouse Hill. Stunning views, can be quite quiet also. Close to Buxton.

The Roaches is another great place, only ever been once but it's a beautiful location. Plenty of free parking in a large lay by and is close to Macclesfield and Leek. There is also Hen Cloud which is over the road. The Roaches are very popular with rock climbers. Sheer drops, some of the biggest rock formations I have ever seen and a stunning tree top canopy to look over.

Obviously you also have the 'Dambuster' locations which were used to practice dropping bombs, Ladybower, Derwent and Howden Reservoirs, these all have a lot of surround high ground such as Win Hill (which eventually joins up with The Great Ridge), Bamford Edge and Whinstone Lee Tor.

The Chatsworth Estate could also be worth a look, plenty of walking and wildlife. Then there are the edges such as Curbar, Frogatt, White, etc etc.

You could pull in some waterfalls at Padley Gorge, Lumsdale, Three Shires, Monsal Dale too. Monsal Dale has a nice viaduct which you could photograph. Great at sunset as is Surprise View.

Hope that gives you a few places to look into visiting for the time being @anibap - if you want a few more quieter spots then I'll come up with a list for you.

Last edited:

I have both, under most conditions IQ is indistinguishable. The 750 has the edge of course iso6400 and above but if you do landscape there's no discernible difference at all. 750 is slightly better with ergonomics and a few other bits.

I allways use a UV unless I have removed to fit a polarizer.

I've never bothered with protection...ahem.....anyway, not UV or clear filters. My thinking is why potentially degrade the quality of the photo unless it's doing something to add to the shot or improve it in some other way (ND grads to help balance with sky for example). So out and about I always go with a CPL, indoors I don't bother. Generally I just don't see a downside to always having a CPL attached for outdoor shots. Others may disagree but that's where I'm at.

Still haven't really had opportunity to get out and about with my d750....its been boringly gray here for what feels like months!

Last edited:
For Derbyshire I'd also add Lathkill dale. And generally it pretty quiet.

Peak District is on my doorstep and I don't get out as much as I really should tbh. I'm about 15mins from Matlock. Generally after a busy work week I struggle to motivate myself out the front door! I really do need to try more this year though, especially now I have a new d750 sorted.

For Christmas My missus actually bought me a photography day tuition thing doing waterfalls in the Peak District, proper looking forward to that but I do need to make it more of a habit [emoji3]

Had the err message whilst out today, i think it its an battery issue as it only has done it with one of my batteries.

Wouldnt mind but the battery is not that old.

On the top screen locks the mirror up and general gets on your nerves.

Yes its a nikon battery, i brought it off here. It wasnt that old when i brought it.

Cant send it back thou

I though you said there was absolutely nothing you could fault the d500 just decided stat d750 for the size

I said from the very first post I didn't like the nipple and preferred the dials to buttons.

I've generally always used UV filters but I don't bother on my 50G and 70-200, the rest have one.

I certainly would always use one if I were around the sea or harsh environment- had a fall once on rocks and the filter didn't save the front element then.

There's an argument that there's image degradation on longer FL lenses but I've never seen anything over the years that I could contribute to filters. I almost always use hoods too, out of habit more than anything. Interested to hear who bothers or not with them.

Guess I use one out of habit. When ever I get a lens I get a UV filter. Although this becomes expensive if you are a t*** like me and keep swapping your primes over!

For Derbyshire I'd also add Lathkill dale. And generally it pretty quiet.

Peak District is on my doorstep and I don't get out as much as I really should tbh. I'm about 15mins from Matlock. Generally after a busy work week I struggle to motivate myself out the front door! I really do need to try more this year though, especially now I have a new d750 sorted.

For Christmas My missus actually bought me a photography day tuition thing doing waterfalls in the Peak District, proper looking forward to that but I do need to make it more of a habit [emoji3]

I need to come up with a few ideas this year. I'm thinking of doing a few free lifestyle shoots for experience and portfolio in the spring, using friends etc.

The better half has saved me a place on Ross Harvey's next workshop for my 40th present bless her. Can't wait for that, will be a real insight. He's come back this week with a possible date and it's the day before the annual stock take at work, THE only day in the year that I can't book off, the day before might be a little tricky but there's no way I'm going to miss that!

I have filters on all my 3 lens, 2 have CPL and one has a UV on, As its brighter here I do prefer a CPL, it helps I think.
Or was it 2 have UV and one with CPL.....:confused:

I got the Err message again today. The usual tricks didn't solve it.

Then I remembered I was using a lens with an aperture ring which has to be set to the minimum... :rolleyes:

Back