Nikon D750 & D780

@twist Have you bought another D750? If so, does the shutter feel softer and more dampened, along with a sensitive shutter button over your previous one. Not sure if it's me after using the D7100 for the last couple of months. It just seem a lot smoother in operation to me.

@twist Have you bought another D750? If so, does the shutter feel softer and more dampened, along with a sensitive shutter button over your previous one. Not sure if it's me after using the D7100 for the last couple of months. It just seem a lot smoother in operation to me.

Yes, cant say Ive noticed a difference, but I went from D750 to A7S for a while then back to an updated D750.

What made you come back I've heard s lot of A7S owners knocking D750s ?

Thats very surprising because the D750 imho is a much more rounded camera and far better value vs performance, as a complete system its much better because its more mature.

IME the D750 has miles better AF (not much can touch it though in that regard), better quality RAWs, better AWB (according to my taste), much better handling. The main thing where the A7S is better is the High ISO and then its not by a hell of a lot and only when you start pushing 25600/51200 which I dont do often at all, but at the expense of pixels (not much of a biggie for me). Oh, its video is also VERY clean at high ISO and the AF magnify is nice with manual lenses.

Ideally Id have 2 cameras, the D750 for pretty much everything and an A7S mainly for video and using some good RF lenses. But I cant justify 2x high end systems (camera, lenses, lighting, accessories etc etc all adds up) so I went with the more complete setup and the camera that to my eyes produced the nicer files without much/any work.

The A7S is very good at what it does well though.

Last edited:
Thats very surprising because the D750 imho is a much more rounded camera and far better value vs performance, as a complete system its much better because its more mature.

IME the D750 has miles better AF (not much can touch it though in that regard), better quality RAWs, better AWB (according to my taste), much better handling. The main thing where the A7S is better is the High ISO and then its not by a hell of a lot and only when you start pushing 25600/51200 which I dont do often at all, but at the expense of pixels (not much of a biggie for me). Oh, its video is also VERY clean at high ISO and the AF magnify is nice with manual lenses.

Ideally Id have 2 cameras, the D750 for pretty much everything and an A7S mainly for video and using some good RF lenses. But I cant justify 2x high end systems (camera, lenses, lighting, accessories etc etc all adds up) so I went with the more complete setup and the camera that to my eyes produced the nicer files without much/any work.

The A7S is very good at what it does well though.

Thanks for the comparison

@twist you mentioned you used the A7s for video. Will you now be using the D750 for the same sort of video opportunities? Would be interested to know more about your shooting video with the D750. Are you doing solo stuff or do you have a B-cam also for secondary angles? Thanks.

:confused::mad::confused::confused:
@twist you mentioned you used the A7s for video. Will you now be using the D750 for the same sort of video opportunities? Would be interested to know more about your shooting video with the D750. Are you doing solo stuff or do you have a B-cam also for secondary angles? Thanks.

Just back from our first wedding as Nikon users! (took our 5dIII as backup!). Won't have a chance to look through them until the weekend but from the 100% crop in the back of the camera, the AF seems absolutely superb! Spent the day on AF-C D9.

Only annoyance is one of them froze for no reason at all. Wouldn't focus or do anything until battery was removed and put back in. Also, one of ours wouldn't accept a brand new SD card, said there was an error with the card being damaged. Worked fine in our second D750 body :confused:

@K&L Photography thanks for your feedback.

The camera freezing and not doing anything has happened to me in the past with the D800. Just remember not to panic as I have in the past and just tap the shutter button and it should 'unfreeze' but if that fails then the battery removal is the only way. I could never understand why this happens randomly on quick battery change ups from time to time.

Do you shoot video with the D750 in addition to your photography? If so would be keen to hear how you go on with it.

:confused::mad::confused::confused:

Also, one of ours wouldn't accept a brand new SD card, said there was an error with the card being damaged. Worked fine in our second D750 body :confused:

I've only ever experienced a similar on problems on one other Nikon - a D7100. Usually you'd think it was the SD card (I did initially) but it turned out it was the card reader/writer that was faulty. It was an intermittent problem and removing/replacing card usually did the trick until it then started to intermittently committed the biggest sin of all - didn't write pics taken to either card slot.

The missing pics was a big problem as the camera would still happily take pics without issue, tally up the DSC numbers and seemingly write to cards etc - however when I reviewed them on camera (half an hour later) I seemed to be missing pics and then noticed a large jump in DSC file nos…. I was fuming:mad:. The only reason I knew it wasn't the cards that were faulty was that it would do it to both card slots at exactly the same time and didn't back-up to slot 2 (as it was set). This happened a few times and when I knew it was doing it (which was always too late by then) I had to switch camera off or remove both cards to get it to start writing again. Sometimes camera would also decide it didn't want to read cards and froze (sometimes saying card was damaged or would display the ERR code) - I could only resolve this by removing the battery and then everything worked again… until next time.

Just be wary about card problems and try to playback shots with the problematic camera (as often as you can), so at least you're aware of problem as soon as (if) it happens. There's nothing worse than taking pics and not actually getting them:(

It seems to be very few people on here that have been getting the problem, but I wanted to make you all aware in case you didn't see it.

It seems that the D750 doesn't work properly with the older Nikon lenses with teleconverters (mainly 300/400mm primes.)

If any of you have had any issues please head over to this thread, I'd love to hear what issues you're having: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/d750-tc-20e-iii-and-300mm-2-8-issues.584011/

Just added the 35mm F1.8 ED lens to my setup, budget wouldn't stretch to the F1.4, but after reading Ross Harvey's Burma blog and seeing just how well the combo performs, figured that for me, the extra performance of the 1.4 just wasn't needed.

@KitsuneAndy look forward to hearing how you get on with the 35 1.8 as have been looking to use this as finding the 50 tight for home stuff. Pick up a bargain or pay RRP?

Just added the 35mm F1.8 ED lens to my setup, budget wouldn't stretch to the F1.4, but after reading Ross Harvey's Burma blog and seeing just how well the combo performs, figured that for me, the extra performance of the 1.4 just wasn't needed.

I was going to pick up the 35mm but to my annoyance, Nikon haven't released it here in the UAE yet :mad:

@KitsuneAndy look forward to hearing how you get on with the 35 1.8 as have been looking to use this as finding the 50 tight for home stuff. Pick up a bargain or pay RRP?

Paid RRP, it was the last one in WEX :)

Got a wedding Saturday and wanted it for that.

Also, one of ours wouldn't accept a brand new SD card, said there was an error with the card being damaged.

I have a Sandisk card that works in all my other cameras, D750 showed card error on slot 2, changed to a different card and it seems to be fine now. Id try a different card in the slot with the error or move card that works to slot that shows error, fire off a few shots and see how you get on.

Mainly hobby stuff mate, nothing professional and its solo stuff. Im trying to get into it more as I have all the editing software etc. just never seem to find time to edit any of my clips!

I have a Sandisk card that works in all my other cameras, D750 showed card error on slot 2, changed to a different card and it seems to be fine now. Id try a different card in the slot with the error or move card that works to slot that shows error, fire off a few shots and see how you get on.

My Class 10 32gb 7DayShop cards work absolutely fine in my D7000 but my D750 just says no. I've gone with the 95Mb/s Sandisk cards now and it likes those.

My Class 10 32gb 7DayShop cards work absolutely fine in my D7000 but my D750 just says no. I've gone with the 95Mb/s Sandisk cards now and it likes those.

The card I was having issues with was a Sandisk Class 10 15mb/s so its not great, but it worked for a few shots then died, took out, format, worked, died, etc. Perhaps its the slow data rates that the D750 doesnt like.

Ive now stuck in a Sandisk Extreme Pro in slot 2 and a Integral UltimaPro X in slot 1, both seem to be fine.

The card I was having issues with was a Sandisk Class 10 15mb/s so its not great, but it worked for a few shots then died, took out, format, worked, died, etc. Perhaps its the slow data rates that the D750 doesnt like.

Ive now stuck in a Sandisk Extreme Pro in slot 2 and a Integral UltimaPro X in slot 1, both seem to be fine.

Very similar to me then.

Think the 7dayshop cards are a similar speed, so guess it is the slow data rate that it doesn't like. It would take some shots fine, then just pop up an ERR and I'd have to take the card out and put it back in. But no problems at all with the Sandisk Extreme Pros.

@K&L Photography thanks for your feedback.

The camera freezing and not doing anything has happened to me in the past with the D800. Just remember not to panic as I have in the past and just tap the shutter button and it should 'unfreeze' but if that fails then the battery removal is the only way. I could never understand why this happens randomly on quick battery change ups from time to time.

Do you shoot video with the D750 in addition to your photography? If so would be keen to hear how you go on with it.

Sorry think I quoted you by mistake. We don't shoot any video, only stills.

I've only ever experienced a similar on problems on one other Nikon - a D7100. Usually you'd think it was the SD card (I did initially) but it turned out it was the card reader/writer that was faulty. It was an intermittent problem and removing/replacing card usually did the trick until it then started to intermittently committed the biggest sin of all - didn't write pics taken to either card slot.

The missing pics was a big problem as the camera would still happily take pics without issue, tally up the DSC numbers and seemingly write to cards etc - however when I reviewed them on camera (half an hour later) I seemed to be missing pics and then noticed a large jump in DSC file nos…. I was fuming:mad:. The only reason I knew it wasn't the cards that were faulty was that it would do it to both card slots at exactly the same time and didn't back-up to slot 2 (as it was set). This happened a few times and when I knew it was doing it (which was always too late by then) I had to switch camera off or remove both cards to get it to start writing again. Sometimes camera would also decide it didn't want to read cards and froze (sometimes saying card was damaged or would display the ERR code) - I could only resolve this by removing the battery and then everything worked again… until next time.

Just be wary about card problems and try to playback shots with the problematic camera (as often as you can), so at least you're aware of problem as soon as (if) it happens. There's nothing worse than taking pics and not actually getting them:(

Hmm that doesn't sound good! Fortunately, although it worked in one camera and not the other, we didn't bother using that card at all. I shall mention this to Nikon when it goes in for the lens flare fix if I ever get around to sending it off! This is the first time its happened in over 2000 shots now, and yesterday I used it with 3 different cards and no issues. Are you daying that if they show up on the back of the camera then there shouldn't be an issue? I always have my images playing back as I shoot.

Used this for around 1000 shots yesterday, will let you know how we get on with it when I review images. Seems great, although when we had the Canon 5D3, we had the Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART which was amazing so it will be up for some stiff competition!

This is the strange thing, we bought 2 x D750s, 8 x Lexar Professional (600x) Sd cards from Amazon (sold by Lexar direct), and just one of them had an issue with the one body. I have them all with me so will try to recreate the issue, was a little scary but luckily we had around 32GB of cards as spare!

This is the strange thing, we bought 2 x D750s, 8 x Lexar Professional (600x) Sd cards from Amazon (sold by Lexar direct), and just one of them had an issue with the one body. I have them all with me so will try to recreate the issue, was a little scary but luckily we had around 32GB of cards as spare!

Please let us know how you get on.

Oh bloody hell. Here we go....

Finally imported all NEF files into Lightroom, flicked to the last image of the day as we spent ages setting it up (Evening venue shot with car light trails).

All looks good in Library module, until I go to develop and Lightroom throws up 'An unexpected end-of-file occurred.'

Any ideas? Read a few google results and seems there are other people with the issue but can't seem to find a fiz or a workaround. ViexNX 2 will open the file fine, but lightroom won't. I could convert it to TIFF in ViewNX2 and try to import and edit it that way but that seems pathetic.

I think theres been a recent update with LR or PS. Maybe worth un-installing and reloading.

All looks good in Library module, until I go to develop and Lightroom throws up 'An unexpected end-of-file occurred.'

I had that message in LR 5.7 the other day on one image and very bad red/pink/white banding on another ........... first time I have had either on any Nikon

I put it down to the CF card

Last edited:
Ok, just converted to TIFF in ViewNX2 and there is a pink horizontal band across the bottom of the image when opening it back up into lightroom (around 5% of the image).

Hope it's not the memory card or that will mean two of my brand new Lexar professional cards are actually faulty.

I am using the most up to date Lightroom, although haven't updated the firmware in my D750.

Ok, just converted to TIFF in ViewNX2 and there is a pink horizontal band across the bottom of the image when opening it back up into lightroom (around 5% of the image).

Hope it's not the memory card or that will mean two of my brand new Lexar professional cards are actually faulty.

I am using the most up to date Lightroom, although haven't updated the firmware in my D750.

my banding and message were in LR on the imported NEF's

my CF card was not new ....... could be 5 or 1 year old ...........

Last edited:
Glass or body?
I need some help with my decision. All suggestion are very much welcomed!
I've got a D7100, lenses are Tamron 24-70 f2.8 and an Nikor 85mm f1.8 prime.
I going to abroad for a week where I've got the fortune to shoot everyday in studio and on location.
I shoot portrait. I'd like to do the portrait shoot for living from the and of this year.
I've came to that point where I have to decide before I'm going to the one week shoot to build my portfolio, whether I buy a D750 or a 70-200mm f2.8 nikor lens.
I'd like to know in your opinion which one should come first.
Tough decision for me so please share your opinion whit me!
Thanks a lot for your help!

Glass or body?
I going to abroad for a week where I've got the fortune to shoot everyday in studio and on location.
I shoot portrait. I'd like to do the portrait shoot for living from the and of this year.
I've came to that point where I have to decide before I'm going to the one week shoot to build my portfolio, whether I buy a D750 or a 70-200mm f2.8 nikor lens.

That's an easy one if its your portfolio you want to build then go for the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens.

While the D750 is a fabulous body, in your position, I'd go for the lens first since that'll be kept if/when you get the new body. The D7100 is supposed to be a very capable performer so you won't see much immediate benefit from a body upgrade but the 70-200 f/2.8 Nikkor is one of the "trinity" of FF Nikkors and should last you a lifetime, especially in a portrait role.

Glass or body?

GLASS

Eventually you will want to go full frame so I would say bite the bullet and go d750 - your 85mm will be super as a portrait lens - don't know about the Tamron 24-70 but Tamrons I've had in the past have been very capable . Also that Nikkor lens is one really hefty piece of kit - I wouldn't say its that suitable as a portrait lens .

Last edited:
Eventually you will want to go full frame so I would say bite the bullet and go d750 - your 85mm will be super as a portrait lens - don't know about the Tamron 24-70 but Tamrons I've had in the past have been very capable . Also that Nikkor lens is one really hefty piece of kit - I wouldn't say its that suitable as a portrait lens .

I'd disagree about the 70-200. It's an excellent portrait lens.

Oh bloody hell. Here we go....

Finally imported all NEF files into Lightroom, flicked to the last image of the day as we spent ages setting it up (Evening venue shot with car light trails).

Any ideas? Read a few google results and seems there are other people with the issue but can't seem to find a fiz or a workaround. ViexNX 2 will open the file fine, but lightroom won't. I could convert it to TIFF in ViewNX2 and try to import and edit it that way but that seems pathetic.
The error suggests file corruption which could be due to media or just bad luck. Were you using the second SD card slot for mirroring, by any chance?

Just googled the error and found this, not read the whole thread

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1655876

Did you read this:-
Guys, I found a solution! I also had the Unexpected End of File Occurred problem. Using a brand new Nikon D750 and latest lightroom for time lapse.

It was bugging me all day so I had to solve it. All I did was separate the corrupt NEF files into a separate folder, load them into Aperture, export unchanged as NEF to a new folder. Now they load properly in Lightroom without the Unexpected End of File Occurred problem!

no idea if that helps :)

I'm loving the new 35mm F1.8 ED on the D750, it got used a lot at the wedding on Saturday.

Here's a shot from just wandering through the woods with combo:

_ADP3336 by kitsuneandy, on Flickr

Hi guys,

Just a quick question. If I select the option, "OVERFLOW" and "RAW SLOT 1 - JPEG SLOT 2", do I need to select RAW+JPEG as my image quality settings?

Or can I just choose RAW in image quality and the camera will record JPEG to the 2nd card as default?

Also, whilst in this setting, I've noticed it only gives me one reading for amount of images left (shows slot 1 slot 2 as occupied, but only gives 1 reading ie. 4gb card - 72 shots remaining).

If I were to shoot it as RAW to slot 1, JPEG to slot 2, is there a way to see how many shots left on slot 2 (the JPEG slot)?

Last edited:
From my understanding, you can shot raw in slot one and jpeg in slot two, you cant use it as a overflow.
and I think you will only get the same amount of shots on the jpeg card as your raw card will hold. . I stand to be corrected tho.

I think I made a mistake there, I think it was, "BACKUP" and "RAW SLOT 1 - JPEG SLOT 2".

So if I have 72 shots in RAW SLOT 1, I will only have 72 shots in JPEG SLOT 2? I was hoping to use a larger capacity card in slot 2 for JPEGs.

Back