Nikon D750 & D780

No idea but that's what this lots always seems to say when a new member gets a d750 lol I guess it'll save you time later lol

ahah Well, im sure I can get one quick from Amazon xD

Lets get the camera first.

thinking about getting the 50mm f1.4G for portraits to start with. Since I photograph most portraits

Welcome aboard, the 50 1.4G will be fine.

Anyone get anything nice? Not much photo related this year for me except a new lens pen.

Hi people,

New subscriber to this thread, because I will be buying a D750 sometime in january .

Coming form a Nikon D3300 i sold it and went to fujifilm for a year.. but being a system so new, i kind of miss the good old dslr with so many dslr lenses available i thought I would be able to do the jump to the fx nikon :D
Don’t think you will regret it.

Always worth the jump, welcome and once you have your d750 you'll never look back. PS, don't forget to order your screen protector now. lol [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]
Don't forget. Double sided sticky tape for the eye piece too .

Welcome to the club thou you will love the d750.
It's no good for wildlife thou you will need a d500 for that [emoji6] (more banter that is )

Have you looked at the old 50mm 1.8 save yourself some pennies and a very capable lens.

Don't forget. Double sided sticky tape for the eye piece too .

Welcome to the club thou you will love the d750.
It's no good for wildlife thou you will need a d500 for that [emoji6] (more banter that is )

Have you looked at the old 50mm 1.8 save yourself some pennies and a very capable lens.

Not interested in wildlife so it's fine. My fujifilm was doing 14fps and I never found use for it, and I was filling up my disk space unnecessarily.

In regards to that question: 50mm F1.8 vs 1.4. I have spent the morning reading and watching reviews about it and I came to the conclusion that basically the new (2011) 50mm f1.8 is actually better than the 1.4g (2008). Is that true? and if the main use would be portraiture with low light and natural light, would you recommend the 1.4g?
Cause if not I can sabe like 250£ and buy a good telephoto lens for general purpose

Have you tested the lens? :D

To be honest, the 1.8 is optically slightly better but is built like a toy. Depends whether you need the extra 2/3rds of a stop and the slight better build. The Sigma Art is the one if you don’t mind the bulk, it’s a monster but ridiculously sharp. I have the 58G which is a different beast altogether.

Only snaps of present opening yesterday, tried a little walk but she wasn't having it, but taken with the 58..

38432227425_a8c13b18e6_b.jpg

39308951951_3507eb7174_b.jpg

Anyone else doing the elf thing?

27494092639_0745595809_b.jpg

Last edited:
Not interested in wildlife so it's fine. My fujifilm was doing 14fps and I never found use for it, and I was filling up my disk space unnecessarily.

In regards to that question: 50mm F1.8 vs 1.4. I have spent the morning reading and watching reviews about it and I came to the conclusion that basically the new (2011) 50mm f1.8 is actually better than the 1.4g (2008). Is that true? and if the main use would be portraiture with low light and natural light, would you recommend the 1.4g?
Cause if not I can sabe like 250£ and buy a good telephoto lens for general purpose

What you want is the ART.

Splashed out on the Reikan Focal Focus Assist software today... first lens I've tried is my 58mm f1.4.... +18 fine tune AF adjust :eek:

@wibbly,

Hi

Are you still using the Focal software?

If you are have you done any zoom lenses and are you happy with the focus sharpness?

Thank you

Only snaps of present opening yesterday, tried a little walk but she wasn't having it, but taken with the 58..

Anyone else doing the elf thing?

27494092639_0745595809_b.jpg

Is this a "S elfie" shot :D:D:D:D

Gotta shoot more with the 58 this year, just love the rendering. Nothing special really, drab flat light earlier whilst going for a walk..

38605430684_6fc9c278f0_b.jpg

27535743889_c7b1ea38b5_b.jpg

38605429824_9a06a0faa8_b.jpg

38605430324_e4e4214bc1_b.jpg
Lovely shots but that last one is the killer.

So I think i`m going to get the Tamron 70-200 G2 (when Panamoz decides to open again)
Whats your thoughts please. I know most of you have the Nikon version but all the same, I can but wont pay for the Nikon.

So I think i`m going to get the Tamron 70-200 G2 (when Panamoz decides to open again)
Whats your thoughts please. I know most of you have the Nikon version but all the same, I can but wont pay for the Nikon.

The mk1 was awesome so the mk2 has to be incredible.

To be honest, the 1.8 is optically slightly better but is built like a toy. Depends whether you need the extra 2/3rds of a stop and the slight better build. The Sigma Art is the one if you don’t mind the bulk, it’s a monster but ridiculously sharp. I have the 58G which is a different beast altogether.

yes the 58mm is a beast but costs too much for me.

Well, i dont know if i need that's the honest answer. I think I am going for the 1.4G

@wibbly,

Hi

Are you still using the Focal software?

If you are have you done any zoom lenses and are you happy with the focus sharpness?

Thank you

Hey man, I don’t use zooms so haven’t done any with them. Sure others on here may have :)

Hey man, I don’t use zooms so haven’t done any with them. Sure others on here may have :)
Bugger, the only prime I own is a 50mm 1.8 d.

Thank you

I've never found the need with zooms personally. Even the 70-200 I was happy at 2.8. But, 1.4 primes always need a tweak (apart from the 50 1.8 I sold to Snerkler)
My Tamron 28-75 is the one I am having issues with. Have tried the dot tune method but still not 100%.

My Tamron 28-75 is the one I am having issues with. Have tried the dot tune method but still not 100%.

Sometimes lenses don’t marry too well with bodies and theres also focus creep to contend with too. If it’s the latter, it might be best to tune it around the typical working distance you mostly shoot, if that’s practical?

The best solution would be to send the lens and body off for calibration together, but that’s going to cost you a bit. Is the lens still covered by warranty? I’d send it back if it really is playing up.

Sometimes lenses don’t marry too well with bodies and theres also focus creep to contend with too. If it’s the latter, it might be best to tune it around the typical working distance you mostly shoot, if that’s practical?

The best solution would be to send the lens and body off for calibration together, but that’s going to cost you a bit. Is the lens still covered by warranty? I’d send it back if it really is playing up.
Lens has already been to Tamron and has improved but still accurate. Don't think it is worth sending both, might have to get a Nikon 24-70 when I can afford one.

Lens has already been to Tamron and has improved but still accurate. Don't think it is worth sending both, might have to get a Nikon 24-70 when I can afford one.

Do you use it regularly? I only really use mine (24-70) for studio stuff with the kids for a little flexibility.

Do you use it regularly? I only really use mine (24-70) for studio stuff with the kids for a little flexibility.
Yes, quiet a bit. All the other lenses I have are old. 24-105, 70-210f4 and finally 50mm f1.8d.

The 24-105 seems to be sharper than the Tamron.

What focal length were you shooting with in the Fuji, and have you factored in the crop factor? The reason I ask is that the 85mm f1.8 is a cracking lens, relatively cheap, and imo a better focal length for portraits than 50mm (FF). Neither the f1.8 or f1.4 50mm’s are particularly sharp wide open. They’re perfectly fine, but just not super sharp. At f2.8 and smaller they are though.

Yes! Art is much better that the 1.4G, much much better. A bit heavy indeed but it balances well on the body.

On another hand the 85mm 1.8G is great.

Well you made me rethink about it.....

The 85 focal length wont be a priority for me right now since I have had the 56mm f1.2 on fuji and I didnt like the focal length

What focal length were you shooting with in the Fuji, and have you factored in the crop factor? The reason I ask is that the 85mm f1.8 is a cracking lens, relatively cheap, and imo a better focal length for portraits than 50mm (FF). Neither the f1.8 or f1.4 50mm’s are particularly sharp wide open. They’re perfectly fine, but just not super sharp. At f2.8 and smaller they are though.

Just answered above... I do prefer the 50 mm focal length and the 35 for close up... But I do get your point, but its just the way i like to shoot. And it took me 3 years to understand it xD

Well you made me rethink about it.....

The 85 focal length wont be a priority for me right now since I have had the 56mm f1.2 on fuji and I didnt like the focal length

Just answered above... I do prefer the 50 mm focal length and the 35 for close up... But I do get your point, but its just the way i like to shoot. And it took me 3 years to understand it xD

Love the 50mm, not enough cash for a 58 1.4 nikon. Then buy a sigma 50mm art, they are at around 400 pound if i'm right and really worth it. As i said the weight is not an issue with the d750 it feel nice. And because it's not a zoom it don't extend or anything like this.

Last edited:
Serious question (not trolling) regarding shutter speed - is 1/4000 max a limiting factor when tying to shoot fast primes wide open? I’m on the fence tween this and a D500.

Serious question (not trolling) regarding shutter speed - is 1/4000 max a limiting factor when tying to shoot fast primes wide open? I’m on the fence tween this and a D500.
The answer is that it depends. I've never ran into issues, but some have if they live in sunny climates. You do have two low ISO modes though that can compensate, and of course you can use an ND filter if you need. Truth is though it'd be very rare you run into issues Imo.

It has been discussed several times, and indeed I too was concerned about it before buying. But at the end of the day, it's only one stop (compared to the 'holy grail' 1/8000) and as I say you have the low ISO which reduce ISO by a stop. The other thing to consider is that the D700 was the choice of pros for years and whilst that had a shutter of 1/8000 the base ISO was only 200, so in terms of exposure no different to the D750 at 1/4000 ISO 100. You never heard folk complain about the D700 ;)

The answer is that it depends. I've never ran into issues, but some have if they live in sunny climates. You do have two low ISO modes though that can compensate, and of course you can use an ND filter if you need. Truth is though it'd be very rare you run into issues Imo.

It has been discussed several times, and indeed I too was concerned about it before buying. But at the end of the day, it's only one stop (compared to the 'holy grail' 1/8000) and as I say you have the low ISO which reduce ISO by a stop. The other thing to consider is that the D700 was the choice of pros for years and whilst that had a shutter of 1/8000 the base ISO was only 200, so in terms of exposure no different to the D750 at 1/4000 ISO 100. You never heard folk complain about the D700 ;)

Totally this. Maybe on the odd occasion but shooting at 2.8 wasn’t the end of the world. I usually shoot my 1.4s around 1.8-2.2 anyway.

Love the 50mm, not enough cash for a 58 1.4 nikon. Then buy a sigma 50mm art, they are at around 400 pound if i'm right and really worth it. As i said the weight is not an issue with the d750 it feel nice. And because it's not a zoom it don't extend or anything like this.

Only that price ? I can afford the Nikon 50mm f1.4G. So if the sigma is the same price which one is better then ?

Only that price ? I can afford the Nikon 50mm f1.4G. So if the sigma is the same price which one is better then ?
Sigma is arguably the best 50mm around optionally for Canikon (not counting Uber expensive Zeiss and the like). The only issue with Sigma is that they are extremely prone to marked front/back focussing so buying the sigma dock is essential imo.

Back