Nikon D750 & D780

Took the dog out this weekend. Tried a few different variations on my editing etc. Pretty pleased with a few of them. All shot with 50mm 1.8 and cropped as my 70-200 2.8 didn't arrive in time!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23U1oqj]DSC_1537.jpg by Thomas Green, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25hiZva]DSC_1592.jpg by Thomas Green, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25zi5v9]DSC_1538.jpg by Thomas Green, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25iebnK]DSC_1548.jpg by Thomas Green, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25iecZ2]DSC_1557.jpg by Thomas Green, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25ieejB]DSC_1585.jpg by Thomas Green, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/26CMi41]DSC_1666.jpg by Thomas Green, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/H3CxQi]DSC_1687.jpg by Thomas Green, on Flickr[/URL]

Took the dog out this weekend. Tried a few different variations on my editing etc. Pretty pleased with a few of them. All shot with 50mm 1.8 and cropped as my 70-200 2.8 didn't arrive in time!

DSC_1537.jpg by Thomas Green, on Flickr

DSC_1592.jpg by Thomas Green, on Flickr

DSC_1538.jpg by Thomas Green, on Flickr

DSC_1548.jpg by Thomas Green, on Flickr

DSC_1557.jpg by Thomas Green, on Flickr

DSC_1585.jpg by Thomas Green, on Flickr

DSC_1666.jpg by Thomas Green, on Flickr

DSC_1687.jpg by Thomas Green, on Flickr

Great shots and lovely dog. I bet some of those leaping pics would be great from ground level so you're on a level/slightly underneath (y)

Love these. 4 is my favourite! Agree would have been better to be lower for the action shots but that’s not always possible!

Great captures though and even more so when you take in to account the lens used!

Last time i bought a sd card i went for 64gb and it is a bit over the top really, 32gb would do, well i'm sure even 16gb would fine. I was at the point where there is 1.4k picture on the card and it takes a little while to open up lightroom and see the thumbnail so I just erased all last week.

Last time i bought a sd card i went for 64gb and it is a bit over the top really, 32gb would do, well i'm sure even 16gb would fine. I was at the point where there is 1.4k picture on the card and it takes a little while to open up lightroom and see the thumbnail so I just erased all last week.
Have you tried to connect the camera to the PC or laptop, it will open just those last new photos.
Its what I do and I think its a little faster than taking the card out and into a card reader.

Youtube is useful, although as far as adjustments etc are concerned I found it pretty self explanatory. Organising into catalogue, selections etc on the other hand....

Tutorials and youtube are your friend! I personally found the Scott Kelby books a great resource in the first instance. What are you using now Mark?
Photoshop cc now was using cs6.

I've tried a few you tube videos but the whole catalogue bit at the start of it all confuses the hell out of me. Just can't get my head round it all.
By that point I've just lost the will to live.

Youtube is useful, although as far as adjustments etc are concerned I found it pretty self explanatory. Organising into catalogue, selections etc on the other hand....

This is what I don't get.
As regards to adjustments all I need more than anything is sharpening stuff.
As I have a recorded bit in ps that's creates a high pass thing and I just shade in what I want and go from there. I havent even got to that stage yet in lightroom

I think tutorials on workflow is the most important aspect. What I liked about Kelby is that there were some practical examples at the end and with typical workflows.

Have you tried to connect the camera to the PC or laptop, it will open just those last new photos.
Its what I do and I think its a little faster than taking the card out and into a card reader.

No to be fair the cable is still unused in it's box. When you connect the SD card it also only open up the last ones but it takes time to grey out the one already downloaded. Though maybe i could try it one day see if it's faster.

Think I`ll join @rookies now on the D500 thread lol
its just been ordered.

He doesn't have a D500 anymore, sold it for the A7iii.
Stroof, he changes his cameras more times than I change my underwear.
He'll be swapping that Sony for that new Polaroid next [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

As I have a recorded bit in ps that's creates a high pass thing and I just shade in what I want and go from there. I havent even got to that stage yet in lightroom

I’m fairly new to LR too. I have mainly just been using presets that I have downloaded and tweaked a little but this weekend had more of a play.

I basically just uploaded an image and played around with all the sliders on the right to see what did what! You can reset the photo at any time or go back a step.

Ahh if you're used to PS then Lightroom can seem a bit alien. I started with LR so PS is a bit alien to me ;)

For a very crude LR setting I set camera profile to standard (this creates quite a boost in contrast and gives it pop), up sharpening to around 50, add some sharpening mask (often 30-40) and adjust WB and exposure as necessary. I tend to find with Nikon camera standard I need to reduce yellow saturation to -15 or so to get it to my taste, sometimes I reduce orange saturation a touch too.

A good trick for getting the right sharpening mask is to hold the option key (I think it's alt on PC) whilst changing the adjustment and you get to see the mask. You can do the same for white and black levels. You can adjust settings using the arrow keys rather than moving the slider, just hover the mouse over the setting so it's highlighted and the use the up and down arrow keys to adjust. If you hold option/alt and press up/down it adjusts in smaller increments.

I have only been processing jpegs in LR - mainly because during sports I find JPEG files let me do things quicker! Im quite suprised how much you can do to D750 jpegs TBH!

I have only been processing jpegs in LR - mainly because during sports I find JPEG files let me do things quicker! Im quite suprised how much you can do to D750 jpegs TBH!
Philistine ;)

If you’re amazed by the jpeg you’ll be gobsmacked by the RAW.

Philistine ;)

If you’re amazed by the jpeg you’ll be gobsmacked by the RAW.

But then I have to worry about sharpness etc and all things I dont understand how to do in LR :LOL:

But then I have to worry about sharpness etc and all things I dont understand how to do in LR :LOL:
Just set sharpening to 50 and mask to 30 and see how you get on ;)

What you will notice with processing RAW is much better highlight and shadow recovery, better control of WB, better control of colours. Well it’s just much better in every way ;)

Just set sharpening to 50 and mask to 30 and see how you get on ;)

What you will notice with processing RAW is much better highlight and shadow recovery, better control of WB, better control of colours. Well it’s just much better in every way ;)

Are sharpening and mask on the right with all the sliders etc?

I've wondered for some time why my photos don't look as sharp as a lot posted here. Now I know. I don't add any sharpening beyond the LR default. Unless the photo is slightly out of focus!

Cracking action shots! What focussing method are you using for the shots of the dog running towards you? I have never quite got the hang of getting things repeatably sharp when coming straight toward me.
Thanks.

I've wondered for some time why my photos don't look as sharp as a lot posted here. Now I know. I don't add any sharpening beyond the LR default. Unless the photo is slightly out of focus!
Nah, that's just because you insist on using that 28-300mm :sneaky::whistle::p

Joking aside, it depends on the look and output you're processing for. I don't always use 50 sharpening, like I said it was just a crude setting I suggested (y) One thing I've 'discovered' (thanks to someone on here) in the last year or so is the high pass filter in PS, does a much better job of "crisping' images up than LR's sharpening imo. I don't do it to a lot of images, but if there's an image I want to spend a bit more care on then I do tend to process in LR and then send to PS and put through the high pass filter.

Back