Nikon D750 & D780

I hate to say it, but over the past month I have been seriously considering a D780 purchase o_O
Seems everyone on here has done the same as this thread has gone really quiet.
Might get out tomorrow to the WWF along the road and get some shots in

Hi Paul,

With the D750 being a few generations (technology wise) old now it's not surprising that people have moved on. I think a lot of people chase the best technology they can afford - I know my neighbour and togging buddy is one such animal - even when the end result isn't any better than they were getting with their "old" kit.

Personally, I'm still using the D750 and very happy with it BUT if a D780 was available at a reasonable cost then I would probably buy it.

Personally, I'm still using the D750 and very happy with it BUT if a D780 was available at a reasonable cost then I would probably buy it.

The D780 still tempts me (as does the Z9!) but the price doesn't seem worth it for the slight advantages. I'm quite happy to run my pair of D750s into the ground.

_7517418.jpg

I’ve owned a couple of D750’s amongst other Nikon bodies over the years and now have a Z6.

It’s a perfect progression from D750 to Z6. Once you get used to the EVF & the Z EVF is really very good, you may not ever want to go back!

Having said that if I still had a D750, I wouldn’t be unhappy… still a great camera.

I still use my D750, It is still my best camera for low light pictures

51780857331_5418191f38_c.jpg

A couple from recent visits to Kingston Lacy

Hi Paul,

With the D750 being a few generations (technology wise) old now it's not surprising that people have moved on. I think a lot of people chase the best technology they can afford - I know my neighbour and togging buddy is one such animal - even when the end result isn't any better than they were getting with their "old" kit.

I'm using two D750's regularly. They produce the images I want, and they have paid for themselves. I'll run them into the ground. If I get a failure, and considering repair time frame or cost, would likely replace with a D780. If I bought one now I'd just be throwing money away.

I'm using two D750's regularly. They produce the images I want, and they have paid for themselves. I'll run them into the ground. If I get a failure, and considering repair time frame or cost, would likely replace with a D780. If I bought one now I'd just be throwing money away.

This is my attitude at the moment. The D750 works perfectly for me at the moment, and I am still getting superb results from it. I'll probably only upgrade if the body fails.

Osprey by S8, on Flickr

Tunnel by S8, on Flickr

Murmurs by S8, on Flickr

The D750 works perfectly for me at the moment, and I am still getting superb results from it. I'll probably only upgrade if the body fails.
That's my thinking too. I'm debating whether to get new grips for one of mine, or stick with the gaffer tape that's holding them on!

Mostly I've been using a Tamron 35-150 for the last year or more. Suits my way of seeing.

_7517885.jpg

_7517847.jpg

I'm now having problems with AF-D and AIS lenses on my D750. I get the fEE error code unless the lenses are set to f5.6. Then it only exposes correctly on AF-D lenses when I set the aperture on the command dial to less than f5.6. Has anyone else had any similar issues or is it me doing something daft?

A Nikon D850 might inspire you though.
Hi Steve,

Despite the fact that the D850 is a stupendously good camera it actually isn't of interest either. I know from past experience that my handling techniques aren't good enough for high pixel count cameras. I had a D800 for about nine months and really struggled to get any decent images due to my inability to hold the damned thing steady. Like lenses have a sweet spot for aperture I have one for mega-pixels and it is around the 20-25Mp mark.

Sad bugger, ain't I :(

Hi Steve,

Despite the fact that the D850 is a stupendously good camera it actually isn't of interest either. I know from past experience that my handling techniques aren't good enough for high pixel count cameras. I had a D800 for about nine months and really struggled to get any decent images due to my inability to hold the damned thing steady. Like lenses have a sweet spot for aperture I have one for mega-pixels and it is around the 20-25Mp mark.

Sad bugger, ain't I :(

Depends what you shoot and how.

Mines always tripod mounted so like the 645z it just isn't a thing.

Build and feeling the D850 just feels nice. Last of the DSLR's. A lot of the later Nikon lens's have VR and it's witch craft to be honest how well they manage.

Depends what you shoot and how.

Mines always tripod mounted so like the 645z it just isn't a thing.

Build and feeling the D850 just feels nice. Last of the DSLR's. A lot of the later Nikon lens's have VR and it's witch craft to be honest how well they manage.
I mostly shoot wildlife and hardly ever use a tripod, although I do use a monopod (with a gimbal head attached) and that certainly helps.

All of my lenses have VR :)

Bit of copydex will sort it!
They seem to stretch and get too big to fit back where they belong. I must have something in my sweat that does this, all the rubber grips on my lenses go that way too. :(

They seem to stretch and get too big to fit back where they belong. I must have something in my sweat that does this, all the rubber grips on my lenses go that way too. :(
I've a couple of old lenses whose rubber grips have deteriorated - I wound new thread around the barrels, much as rewinding new guides on my fishing rods.

Here are a few from Didcot Railway Centre last weekend. First is a smelly old diesel shunter named "Phantom", whish is pushing "Pendennis Castle" back into the loco shed to collect her tender.
Didcot-1.jpg
Having coupled up to her tender "Pendennis Castle" was then towed out into the sunshine and looked beautiful resplendent in her GWR green livery.
Didcot-2.jpg
This little beauty was tucked away at the back of the loco shed, looking very sorry for herself and somewhat in need of a good clean.
Didcot-3.jpg
Also basking in the sunshine was "King Edward II" and he did look a picture in blue.
Didcot-4.jpg

Nikon D780 price now is £2284 :eek:

you could get 3 low mileage D750's for that money
My half-baked plan to switch to D780s has gone out the window as I need both kidneys. Might have to stock up on low mileage D750s (and batteries) to see me out. :LOL:

_7518113.jpg

Yeah, I've put my D780 plans on the back burner too. Full time retirement is looming on the horizon so it's time to tighten the purse strings (y)

Good Evening All,

Hope everyone is well?

Can I please ask has anyone made a move from the d750 to z6ii and what are your thoughts in terms of lowlight performance.

Thank you

Yes, I did. I’d say that focussing is better, and of course, across more of the frame. Slightly less image noise. And way less shutter noise, which I’ve found to be a game changer.

I’m using several original lenses, not the new Z ones.

Yes, I did. I’d say that focussing is better, and of course, across more of the frame. Slightly less image noise. And way less shutter noise, which I’ve found to be a game changer.

I’m using several original lenses, not the new Z ones.
Thank you, thinking of moving to mirrorless but not sure if it is worth the move at the moment as I am not sure if the files are better in lowlight.

Still trying to run my D750s into the ground.

I've always shot in raw but yesterday I managed to take 150 plus shots as JPEGs. No idea how it happened! The only big difference was that there was less to recover in the highlights.

I'd be lost without gaffer tape.

_7501259.jpg

My half-baked plan to switch to D780s has gone out the window as I need both kidneys. Might have to stock up on low mileage D750s (and batteries) to see me out. :LOL:
:oops: :$

It's not brand new.

:exit:

After a morning's shooting with it doing my usual livestock show stuff all I can say about the D780 is that it has more changes than I expected and is far better than all the reviews said. reviews which made me think the changes were marginal. For me, they are not. The difference in the liveview performance and operation between the two cameras is night and day. The touch screen is great. And there is face detect through the viewfinder - not something I need too often but it's already been usefu. For me all those features are really useful. It's also noticeably quieter - even in Quiet Continuous (which is how I usually use my D750s). The screen is much clearer, which isn't a big deal, but is nice to have. There's also a review option to show only the image with no info around it at all. I love that. Oh aye. If using one of the crop options the bit of the viewfinder not being used is greyed over. That's much better than the 'box' in eh D750. There's a square crop which is nice, but no 5:4 which would have been nicer.

Biggest drawbacks are that it won't recognise my cheap batteries (but my genuine Nikons are fine) and Lightroom 6 won't read the raw files.

I'm glad I took the plunge. Not so glad that I'll have to subscribe to Lightroom, buy a second body, and get some genuine Nikon batteries! I'll be keeping my most battered D750 as back up,because it won't be worth much, but mostly because I know I'd have seller's remorse.

After a morning's shooting with it doing my usual livestock show stuff all I can say about the D780 is that it has more changes than I expected and is far better than all the reviews said. reviews which made me think the changes were marginal. For me, they are not. The difference in the liveview performance and operation between the two cameras is night and day. The touch screen is great. And there is face detect through the viewfinder - not something I need too often but it's already been usefu. For me all those features are really useful. It's also noticeably quieter - even in Quiet Continuous (which is how I usually use my D750s). The screen is much clearer, which isn't a big deal, but is nice to have. There's also a review option to show only the image with no info around it at all. I love that. Oh aye. If using one of the crop options the bit of the viewfinder not being used is greyed over. That's much better than the 'box' in eh D750. There's a square crop which is nice, but no 5:4 which would have been nicer.

Biggest drawbacks are that it won't recognise my cheap batteries (but my genuine Nikons are fine) and Lightroom 6 won't read the raw files.

I'm glad I took the plunge. Not so glad that I'll have to subscribe to Lightroom, buy a second body, and get some genuine Nikon batteries! I'll be keeping my most battered D750 as back up,because it won't be worth much, but mostly because I know I'd have seller's remorse.
Have you tried Capture one pro? If not worth a try, you can download a 30 day trial to test. I did not want a subscription so have moved over the Capture one, and apart from missing my LR presets I am happy with it.

Have you tried Capture one pro? If not worth a try, you can download a 30 day trial to test. I did not want a subscription so have moved over the Capture one, and apart from missing my LR presets I am happy with it.
I think I got a trial of it sometime and didn't get on with it. Didn't try it for long enough in truth.

I've bitten the bullet as I'm used to LR. It was easy to install and it automatically loaded my catalogue complete with edits. I have a subscription to something else which I hardly use that I can cancel, so nothing lost in the grand scheme of things.

Used the D780 again today. Liveview is wonderful for my low level sheep 'action' pictures. OOF shots are next to non existent, whereas with the D750 they were the norm!

@Ed Sutton - please don't mention how much better the D780 is compared to the D750 anymore. I have only recently talked myself into keeping the 750 and you've now got me looking at 780 prices again :headbang: My wallet (and wife) would welcome some restraint on your part :D

@Ed Sutton - please don't mention how much better the D780 is compared to the D750 anymore. I have only recently talked myself into keeping the 750 and you've now got me looking at 780 prices again :headbang: My wallet (and wife) would welcome some restraint on your part :D
Sorry.

If you're not a liveview user for moving subjects it's probably not that big an upgrade. Although.... :exit:

Morning,

The sensor on my d750 needs a clean. I have eclipse fluid and Pec Peds, and some APC sensor swabs for my D90 which I believe I can use for the d750.

But I presume it would be better to get a full frame sensor swabs to ensure I only do a one pass clean.

Any suggestions on which swabs to get please?

Thank you

Back