Nikon D750 & D780

Mind you the quietness of the D810 shutter is amazing :D

To be honest I'm not convinced that the D750 AF is any faster than the D810 I have both bodies and I would suggest they are both very fast. There is virtually nothing to distinguish between them.

My D800 is very good and the cropability ...made up word....is very useful. I`ll ponder my decision over a glass of red and hit the ouch button later.

Thanks for every ones input,most appreciated.

I think I will probably go for the 750, I already have one camera with big files and the ability to crop deep into the image, I think the 750 will compliment the existing 800 fairly well.

Mind you, I could change my mind in another hour or so.......

Faster mate, blazing fast.

Lock on is faster and tracking better, in low light @ ISO 3200-12800 it kicks the ass of the D3S

I have also said that if for any reason i got back into shooting pro again i would but 2 x D750 before buying D3S's or D4's and i stand by that.
Would you not be worried about the light reflection issue with floodlights just being out of shot at many games.Also how would you combat the 6.5 fps against 9/11 fps?

Has the 750 got the standard 10 pin accessory plug on it?

Hmmmm.............doesn`t look like it.

Last edited:
Would you not be worried about the light reflection issue with floodlights just being out of shot at many games.Also how would you combat the 6.5 fps against 9/11 fps?

I was under the impression that it doesn't occur at longer focal lengths. There is also D750 test online at a College Football game under lights and no issues were experienced.

I think I will probably go for the 750, I already have one camera with big files and the ability to crop deep into the image, I think the 750 will compliment the existing 800 fairly well.

Mind you, I could change my mind in another hour or so.......

I shoot one D800 and D610 which the D610 resolution matches that of the D750. For cropping down the D800 is comfortable better, 36mp vs 24mp. Whilst the D610 is no slouch and the RAWs usefully smaller 25mb vs 40mb the crop ability factor is great and you can still end up with a large enough file to print despite cropping heavily.

The D750 is a lighter camera over the D610 and that is a good bit lighter than D800. If you want something lighter to use, you may well find it great. I am a big fan of the 8x0 series and with cheap HD storage, I'd find it very hard NOT to go for the D810

Last edited:
That I don't know Ade :)
Pretty sure it is the same as the D90 for instance, N3 connection.

I shoot one D800 and D610 which the D610 resolution matches that of the D750. For cropping down the D800 is comfortable better, 36mp vs 24mp. Whilst the D610 is no slouch and the RAWs usefully smaller 25mb vs 40mb the crop ability factor is great and you can still end up with a large enough file to print despite cropping heavily.

The D750 is a lighter camera over the D610 and that is a good bit lighter than D800. If you want something lighter to use, you may well find it great. I am a big fan of the 8x0 series and with cheap HD storage, I'd find it very hard NOT to go for the D810
The new body needs to be different to the D800 that I already have,smaller and lighter certainly appeals, better FPS does as well.

Not 100% sure yet, but the 750 is appealling.

I think you've sold the body to yourself
I`ll nip to Calumet in the new year and handle them both, make a decision then.

Ha, ha, probably best to try one in hand Ade but the bigger grip makes a big difference on the smaller body, very very comfortable

Last edited:
Do they use the N3 connecter rather than the 10 pin Roger?

No 10 pin connector. Which means a few of the bits I currently have will no longer work if/when I move to the D750. Like GPS decoder thingy, and remote release. Will not miss the PC connector, as I have never used it.

Done a few portraits today and shot a few hundred frames using group area AF. Very impressive, not a single out of focus frame using 35 / 85 1.4 combos. Also a lot of brightly backlit shots no issues at all. What a great camera! Does anyone know much about group area AF? Does it just prioritise AF to the centre of the group ?

I bought an adaptor off eBay (chinese import) to convert my 10 pin remote to the D610/D750 connector and it works a treat with that - can't comment on GPS modules mind.

Done a few portraits today and shot a few hundred frames using group area AF. Very impressive, not a single out of focus frame using 35 / 85 1.4 combos. Also a lot of brightly backlit shots no issues at all. What a great camera! Does anyone know much about group area AF? Does it just prioritise AF to the centre of the group ?

I use group focus most of the time instead of single point focus. yes - It basically takes the centre point plus the surrounding target ( 5 points) - for portraits I enable 'face detection' which also meters for the face. I initially thought this was a bit of a gimmick but the results have been well exposed and quite pleasing.

Group AF was used for moving targets (obviously)

I find it excellent for small birds where there is vegetation surrounding or movement, it will pick the bird out really well and won't lose focus easily, as can sometimes happen when single-point momentarily loses contact.

Just picked up my replacement earlier from srs in Watford, not panamoz prices but pretty good at £1675. Great little camera, pretty easy to deliberately replicate the shading 'feature' with a streetlight, but I really can't see this occurring when shooting normally.

Just picked up my replacement earlier from srs in Watford, not panamoz prices but pretty good at £1675. Great little camera, pretty easy to deliberately replicate the shading 'feature' with a streetlight, but I really can't see this occurring when shooting normally.

Don't worry about it dude and enjoy the camera. I have yet to see a remotely usable photo that had the banding.

Appreciate the input Gary, I know you call a spade a spade, so your experience and comments certainly hold water.

I`m just going through my shots and seeing if any are near 1/4000th, not many are to be honest,so maybe I could live with that. @Blank_Canvas ,thanks for pointing it out though.

The other option is a D810,but not sure how much better it is than the D800 to be honest.

Decisions,decisions.......:)
I really didn't like my D800 for BIF work, the D810 is a lot better in that respect (AF accuracy/tracking). There are several other little things that made the D810 upgrade worth it to me. But, I still use my D4 more often for wildlife due to the ISO performance and typical shooting conditions.... you loose the file size/cropability advantage of the D8xx by ISO 1600 (IMO).

The D750 is a great balance of all of the factors... if I could only have one camera it would be the D750 at the moment.

I really didn't like my D800 for BIF work, the D810 is a lot better in that respect (AF accuracy/tracking). There are several other little things that made the D810 upgrade worth it to me. But, I still use my D4 more often for wildlife due to the ISO performance and typical shooting conditions.... you loose the file size/cropability advantage of the D8xx by ISO 1600 (IMO).

The D750 is a great balance of all of the factors... if I could only have one camera it would be the D750 at the moment.
Thanks Steve, i think the 750 is the way to go. The Mrs and I are doing weddings again now, so the smaller size will suit her better.

I`ll handle both and decide, but I think the 750 is best option for me at this time.

see post above, D4S/D810 use 3500 MKI module, D750 uses improved D3500 MKII module
AFAIK, the only difference between the Multi-CAM 3500FX II and the Multi-CAM 3500FX autofocus sensor modules is that the II is sensitive down to -3EV instead of -2EV. I *think* the -3EV is accomplished by having the sensor positioned closer/more shallow; which is what is contributing to the banding issue.

That and the points are a bit more compressed together... that could be good or bad depending I would guess.

Last edited:
The AF on both the D750 / D810 is extremely fast and indistinguishable from each model in terms of speed of focus. The ability for the D750 to record images in low light outperforms the D810 hence the new Mk II sensor.

To get the most out of the AF system it's important to bear in mind the following.

To take full advantage of the full 51 point AF system you should be using the viewfinder. The moment that you switch to using the display monitor screen in Live View the 51 point AF system stops working and the Contrast AF system kicks in. This obviously has a place and there are times when using the display monitor screen on the 'tilt' can be quite useful but the Contrast AF is not as fast as using the 51 AF point system via the viewfinder.

Last edited:
Hi all
So close to upgrading to one of these, from a D700. Just need to save up a few more pennies before pushing the Panamoz button.

Can I ask, how well built/sturdy is the flip screen? I would assume it could be one of the first things to go. I`m not particularly heavy handed, but don`t fancy something flimsy.

Hi all
So close to upgrading to one of these, from a D700. Just need to save up a few more pennies before pushing the Panamoz button.

Can I ask, how well built/sturdy is the flip screen? I would assume it could be one of the first things to go. I`m not particularly heavy handed, but don`t fancy something flimsy.

It's pretty solid, I shared your concerns, but now I have one I'm sure it will last.

Hi Guys just wondering if anybody has bought a grip for the D750? I was about to buy the Pixel vertax D16 ( as I had a vertax D14 for D610 which was very good), however reviews are coming back claiming with massive battery drain.
see:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EACHSHOT-Ve...TF8&qid=1419770405&sr=8-1&keywords=vertax+d16

Anybody bought any 3rd party grips? (Arleady contacted Easyshot with reference to above problem but they recommended to buy the Meike MK-DR750 grip but this has no reviews whatsover).

Any thoughts

It's pretty solid, I shared your concerns, but now I have one I'm sure it will last.

Cheers Phil. That was my main concern.

Interesting news on Nikon rumours. www.nikonrumours.com this small issue is holding me back. It looks a fab camera, anyone used it in the studio, would love to see some portrait stuff.

Interesting news on Nikon rumours. www.nikonrumours.com this small issue is holding me back. It looks a fab camera, anyone used it in the studio, would love to see some portrait stuff.

Interesting that they are now investigating. For kicks I had a play with various lenses and camera's, D750 and D810's both do it, D3s and D7000's don't. It is more apparent on the 750.

The effect is VERY lens specific, 50mm f/1.8G is much, much worse that both my Tamron 24-70 VC (at 50mm) and Sigma 35mm. In fact, with the Sigma and Tamron its barely noticeable. Nikon 14-24 does it, but only at the longer end.

I really wouldn't let it put you off buying the camera.

I have been using a Sigma 35 / 50 / 85 1.4 combo and have tried alot of angles to create this effect, mind you in a real environment, not a lamp. Haven't seen it at all yet and extrememly impressed with the camera overall ! The D750 and the Sigma 35 is an unbelievable duo

I've finally been able to reproduce the dark banding on my D750 to a degree, but it wasn't easy to find the precise angle and impossible when using a lens hood on the lenses I tried it on. In a real world scenario, I always use a lens hood as protection for the front element anyway so there's no possibility of me encountering the issue. If Nikon do offer a fix then I'll have to do it otherwise the perceived resale value will undoubtedly be affected and whilst it's a great camera I'm under no illusion that it will be the last one I'll invest in.

Thanks Phil & Anthony for the comments, they are re-assuring, still hanging on to my D700 at the mo

Mine doesn't suffer from it and I'll be adding a second shortly.

Not that I don't believe you Guy, and not that it matters (as far as I'm concerned this is a non-issue), but I can replicate it with both of my D810's and both the first D750 which I returned and the one purchased a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that makes me very unlucky or you very lucky!

Last edited:
Back