Nikon D750 & D780

I agonised over the same option and just went with the 24-70 with a view of getting the 70-200 at a later date. Really pleased with my decision - this body deserves some decent glass.

I tend to be one of those that notice flaws, and without pixel peeping. It's both a blessing and a curse ;)

No, it's just a curse. :LOL:

Thanks everyone, glad I asked, I've decided ..... 24-70!!

I love my RX1 and that's because of the glass, I should carry that on as its all about the lens.

Thanks guys [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

I may delay buying for a few weeks until my bank balance is appropriate [emoji2]

But that DX lens

Oops. :facepalm: I thought we were on about the fitty
We were, Greggster posted the wrong one ;) He posted the 35mm DX as Rookies also pointed out ;) Must admit I missed that :oops: :$ Still, the 50mm F1.8g is circa £130 from currys too.

That's because ime they are crap..... obviously meant in the nicest way possible.

Have to say I bought my d800 and d90 both from Currys when they had special offers on.

But for other stuff they've been less than ideal!!

Have to say I bought my d800 and d90 both from Currys when they had special offers on.

But for other stuff they've been less than ideal!!

It's not so much the buying from that's the issue. It's what happens after that.

So, after a few posts in the D7200 thread, I've been playing with a few settings. Checked out the review that Ross Harvey did again and noticed he uses 12 bit lossless compressed. I normally shoot 14 bit. On a 16gb card the change yielded an extra 84 shots. I thought this was pretty good. If 12 bit is good enough for one of the worlds top togs then it must be good enough for little old me. So, took a few test shots and imported them into Lightroom. A noticeable difference between 12 and 14 bit, even for me. Well, i was shooting at ISO 25600 and pushing the shadows and recovering the highlights so perhaps under normal shooting conditions the difference is non existent. Will have to do a few more tests but I'll probably stick with 14 bit.

ETA: The shot has had the default lens profile applied but everything else (Highlights, Shadows, Whites, Blacks etc) were all set to 0.

Here's a shot at ISO 25600, +0.3ev in camera, +50 sharpening and +20 noise reduction.

Pretty nifty.

ISO 25600
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Last edited:
So, after a few posts in the D7200 thread, I've been playing with a few settings. Checked out the review that Ross Harvey did again and noticed he uses 12 bit lossless compressed. I normally shoot 14 bit. On a 16gb card the change yielded an extra 84 shots. I thought this was pretty good. If 12 bit is good enough for one of the worlds top togs then it must be good enough for little old me. So, took a few test shots and imported them into Lightroom. A noticeable difference between 12 and 14 bit, even for me. Well, i was shooting at ISO 25600 and pushing the shadows and recovering the highlights so perhaps under normal shooting conditions the difference is non existent. Will have to do a few more tests but I'll probably stick with 14 bit.

ETA: The shot has had the default lens profile applied but everything else (Highlights, Shadows, Whites, Blacks etc) were all set to 0.

Here's a shot at ISO 25600, +0.3ev in camera, +50 sharpening and +20 noise reduction.

Pretty nifty.

ISO 25600
IMO storage is cheap so why not use the best that's available to you? Sure under a lot of situations you might not see the difference, but as you've found out there are scenarios where you do.

Pretty nifty.

ISO 25600

You'll never cope with a d810 if you're worried about storage [emoji6][emoji6][emoji6]

I'm not being daft am I. You can't change shutter speed/aperture via the app can you? Or zoom in on the image on your phone to nail focus?ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1446885426.100629.jpg

Had a quick play with the app last night again. I think it will be handy when using the studio lights but (apparent) lack of controls is annoying!

I'm not being daft am I. You can't change shutter speed/aperture via the app can you? Or zoom in on the image on your phone to nail focus?View attachment 49914

Had a quick play with the app last night again. I think it will be handy when using the studio lights but (apparent) lack of controls is annoying!
I tried it too and the lack of 'controls' makes it useless other than photo viewing. As a method of checking images without needing to take the cards out it with be ok.

There was a 3rd party app on android that gave you lots more control with the camera. It was a pain to figure out and didn't work half the time but when it did, the functionality was a lil more appreciated.

I'll dig up the name if you wanna experiment.

There was a 3rd party app on android that gave you lots more control with the camera. It was a pain to figure out and didn't work half the time but when it did, the functionality was a lil more appreciated.

I'll dig up the name if you wanna experiment.

I'm on the apple dark side [emoji15]

but it all just works together

And that sometimes works against you. I have but two Apple products iPod and iPad.

I was Paris working and I was trying to get an e-mailed file from my iPad (upon which I have data roaming) onto a PC from which presentations could be made (on a Networked projector in an Hotel). In the end several people had the brilliant idea that it could be transferred to an iMac.... sound idea in principle but all the iMac wanted to do was copy everything off my iPad to the iMac.

Now, I have to say I'm not Apple savvy so couldn't offer any help - I think that Apples are only good for Cider - I'm not trying to inflame or incite - I just found the whole thing frustrating when all I was hoping that a Suite of Products would solve the problem!

And that sometimes works against you. I have but two Apple products iPod and iPad.

I was Paris working and I was trying to get an e-mailed file from my iPad (upon which I have data roaming) onto a PC from which presentations could be made (on a Networked projector in an Hotel). In the end several people had the brilliant idea that it could be transferred to an iMac.... sound idea in principle but all the iMac wanted to do was copy everything off my iPad to the iMac.

Now, I have to say I'm not Apple savvy so couldn't offer any help - I think that Apples are only good for Cider - I'm not trying to inflame or incite - I just found the whole thing frustrating when all I was hoping that a Suite of Products would solve the problem!
What type of file was it? Getting files off the iPad is normally pretty straight forward :confused:

Bog standard powerpoint
Odd. TBH it's a long time since I used a PC, but doesn't the iPad not still open up as a separate drive? I tend to just use dropbox these days anyway, much easier :)

Does everyone use screen protector on their screen? Not sure if it's just me, but I'm bit worried when I tilt the screen..

Any good setting or tips on the camera?

Odd. TBH it's a long time since I used a PC, but doesn't the iPad not still open up as a separate drive? I tend to just use dropbox these days anyway, much easier :)

I quite agree - but my iPad was the only thing connected to the outside world. Yep - kind of a separate drive but the option was to copy the whole 'drive' - It was so frustrating snerk, it was no files or EVERYTHING! (And the owner of the iMac didn't want all my photos on their computer - about 7GB's worth!

In the end I remembered, in my camera bag, I had a lightning to SD card reader and the iMac had an SD slot so we did it that way.... couldn't believe how much an integrated Suite of Products could be so disparate!

Does everyone use screen protector on their screen? Not sure if it's just me, but I'm bit worried when I tilt the screen..

Any good setting or tips on the camera?
Discussed a few times in this thread. Have a search.

Back