Nikon D750 & D780

No I hadn't tried it with video, hence the words "I doubt".
That link only seems to confirm VR activation in liveview mode and doesn't mention desirability for movie mode.
Anyway. I've just tried it with my 70-200 which is the only lens I have with VR and it does indeed run while video is being recorded. I switched the VR off halfway through my little test to see if I could see a difference on playback...I couldn't, but then again i was only viewing through the little screen.
The main issue with me would be the noise recorded from the VR mechanism which can clearly be heard on playback, so an external microphone would appear to be advisable (Probably advisable anyway.).
I would also imagine that the battery would take a kicking from prolonged VR activation. I haven't tested this.;)

No I hadn't tried it with video, hence the words "I doubt".
That link only seems to confirm VR activation in liveview mode and doesn't mention desirability for movie mode.
Anyway. I've just tried it with my 70-200 which is the only lens I have with VR and it does indeed run while video is being recorded. I switched the VR off halfway through my little test to see if I could see a difference on playback...I couldn't, but then again i was only viewing through the little screen.
The main issue with me would be the noise recorded from the VR mechanism which can clearly be heard on playback, so an external microphone would appear to be advisable (Probably advisable anyway.).
I would also imagine that the battery would take a kicking from prolonged VR activation. I haven't tested this.;)

Of course it's desirable without other forms of stabilisation, yes, youd use an external mic if you are serious about good audio. I am glad you tried it and found it works though.

Last edited:
did all the guys meet up at the motor sport thing?

It's on the 7th Chris.

Hi everybody.on my d750 the zero on my exposure compensation is flashing all the time even though I have not set it & its very easy to set ec by mistake.how can I turn it off.cheers

Do you have it set to the rear dial? If so, change it. I have ISO on the rear dial and this suits me perfectly.

Obviously I'm not invited, but if I were then I can make it. Hypothetically speaking of course [emoji106]

I did tag you in a post a page or two ago... Did you not get a notification?

Thanks Minnnty, I didn't but that's probably down to my settings probably! Is it tickets on the door, or advance only?

Shot the marathon today and found I got a lot of missed focus and soft focus shots. Not sure why TBH, when I review the image and look at where the focus point was on the runners it should have been spot on. Light wasn't great and I was shooting into the shadows, but it wasn't bad so not sure why really.

I've been waiting for the marathon before sending it in for the shutter issue so will get them to check it over at the same time. Hope it's not the lens as that's just run out of warranty :facepalm:

This thread's lacking some chicken action!

_7503592.jpg

Shot the marathon today and found I got a lot of missed focus and soft focus shots. Not sure why TBH, when I review the image and look at where the focus point was on the runners it should have been spot on. Light wasn't great and I was shooting into the shadows, but it wasn't bad so not sure why really.

I've been waiting for the marathon before sending it in for the shutter issue so will get them to check it over at the same time. Hope it's not the lens as that's just run out of warranty :facepalm:
Which lens did you use?

Shutter speed too slow maybe? I was in London today with my daughter, and the light and meter were all over the place.

Was testing AF fine tune on the 70-200 2.8. The dof is so shallow. Just a random test shot

Test
by Anirban Acharya, on Flickr
Sometimes that's a good and a bad thing. It's great for subject isolation but like you say DoF can be very shallow. I have lots of squirrel images with nicely isolated backgrounds and sharp eyes but the nose and ears out of focus!

Shutter speed too slow maybe? I was in London today with my daughter, and the light and meter were all over the place.
That's worth checking, a while back one day I noticed I was getting less keepers than normal, turned out it seems the shutter speed I was using was lower than normal and just too low for moving subjects.

Are all nikon 24-120 lens hoods loose or is it just mine, just have to look at it and it turns a bit and get vignetting, thinking of putting a sliver of tape inside hood to tighten it up

Back