Nikon D750 & D780

It has better noise handling and better AF than both, although only marginal over the D810. Most people coming from the D700 or D8xx series complain about the build of the D750 but I've got no complaints in this dept and can't say that when I've tried the D810 or D800 they felt noticeably more solid TBH. I much prefer the grip of the D750, in fact it was this one thing that prevented me from swapping my D750 for the D810 recently. This is obviously down to the individual though.

The flippy screen is really useful for landscapes (as well as other stuff). Obviously it sits in between the two in regards to sensor resolution, although unfortunately it does have an aa filter.

Thanks for the reply. I am very tempted as I keep reading good things about it.

Thing is I've had the D700 that long (8 years in January) it just feels so intuitive to use now that I still use it nearly as much as the D810. I can afford a D750, but am struggling to justify it as it'd have to be a real step change for me to part with a camera that has served me so well that it feels like an extension of me. But I like the idea of something a bit smaller and less fussy about lenses than the D810. Maybe I should try a second hand one and see if I bond with it, before parting with the 700!

Thing is I've had the D700 that long (8 years in January) it just feels so intuitive to use now that I still use it nearly as much as the D810. I can afford a D750, but am struggling to justify it as it'd have to be a real step change for me to part with a camera that has served me so well that it feels like an extension of me. But I like the idea of something a bit smaller and less fussy about lenses than the D810. Maybe I should try a second hand one and see if I bond with it, before parting with the 700!
I personally don't find it an issue swapping from one camera to another in terms of function layout and have even been quite happy using my Olympus and Fuji alongside my D750 during the same shoot. However, some people find they need cameras with the same or very similar layout in which case you may find the D750 a bit awkward if the D700 and D810 is so ingrained.

Andy,how does the D700 compare to the 810 image wise,I'm thinking of getting back to FF and the D700 is the cheapest way,using a D7200 at mo but miss a FF

Andy,how does the D700 compare to the 810 image wise,I'm thinking of getting back to FF and the D700 is the cheapest way,using a D7200 at mo but miss a FF

The only time I've used them at the same time was a wedding I shot and that was mostly in good light, using the same lenses. TBH, not much to compare between them subjectively as I'm not a pixel peeper. I have been impressed with the ability to recover shadow and highlight detail at low ISO's on the D810 though. I've not tested it in my usual low light / high ISO urbex situations, but a visit to some limestone caverns proved it to be pretty good at 6400 hand held. Was it much better than the 700 would have been? Maybe, but not that much better. The 700 is still a cracking camera though - it's one that I've grown with as a photographer since I got it in 2009 and it's a great all rounder.

D750 thread's been quiet for a while but TP as a whole has been quiet today. Nice enough pic if you ask me (y)

Has the site been down, bit quiet on here...

Haven't taken a photo for over a week, just too busy. Bit annoyed I didn't do a xmas card effort this year. Kinda had something in mind last week at a local garden centre but everything wasn't right so came away with this disappointing shot.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/38498130@N04/569X8J

On the phone so can't paste the pic properly, Flickr is pants for that!

That's a nice shot! Nice one.

I take it a flashbender is just a simple add on to give you a bit more control of where you want the light ?

Not my finest work... But a front cover's a front cover (y)

(Shot on the D750 - obvs)

2lnzjpw.jpg

Last edited:
So coming from the 35/85 combo and going to 24/50 combo i'm not 100% sold so far.

I love the small and compact size of the 50, and do like he 50 focal length and THE DOF is produces compared to a 35, but sometimes its a bit too long.

Not enjoying the 24 so much, bit too wide for my style, but I I keep going with the 50 it needs a freind for wider!

So coming from the 35/85 combo and going to 24/50 combo i'm not 100% sold so far.

I love the small and compact size of the 50, and do like he 50 focal length and THE DOF is produces compared to a 35, but sometimes its a bit too long.

Not enjoying the 24 so much, bit too wide for my style, but I I keep going with the 50 it needs a freind for wider!

35/50 or 24-70 [emoji3]

I have access to the 24-70 when ever the wife doesnt use it! I thought about 35/50 but wasnt sure if they were too close!

I'm the same, sometimes tempted to get rid of my 24, haven't used it for ages.

I'll keep on saying it, 28mm and 50mm are the perfect pairing of focal lengths.:)

Bought a D750 on Sunday and took the first photo with it from a moving car on Blackfriar's Bridge.
Straight from camera (converted from Raw), handheld with Nikkor 80-400mm G lens.
Bought it primarily for wildlife, have a D800 for landscapes etc..
D750 1st shot by Graeme Hutson, on Flickr

D750 Shutter Count 1 by Graeme Hutson, on Flickr

I'll keep on saying it, 28mm and 50mm are the perfect pairing of focal lengths.:)

How is distortion on the 28mm? 28/50 seems more logical than 35/50.

But are 35/50 that close?

How is distortion on the 28mm? 28/50 seems more logical than 35/50.

But are 35/50 that close?

I don't notice much distortion on with the 28mm but it depends on the subject to a degree. In fact I find it versatile. I like the way I get a bit of the wide angle look if I want, or make things look 'normal' with it
I find that 35 and 50 are a bit too close. If I only want to take one prime I fit my old 35mm/f2, if I'm using two lenses it's the 28 and 50 pairing - which I prefer to using a 24-something zoom. A lot depends on how you work and what you shoot, though, as to which lenses suit you best.

_7504985.jpg

I have been keeping my eye on this for a couple of weeks. The initial (leaked) specifications sound interesting. If rumours are to be believed it's leverage sits between the D610 and the D810. Who knows ?

Until Nikon launch it and the full specifications are announced offically who knows, I bet there are a few potential D810 buyers holding back waiting for the announcement before making a commitment to either camera. My appraisal is that Nikon have expanded their range this year due to constant criticism about the lack of flexibility in their pro-line up. This looks like a 'speed / action' choice -v- "top quality still /video" option. Two camera, two different markets....

With rumoured WIFI connectivity and a articulating LCD screen, speed and focusing, this is going to capture a lot of peoples interest.
i have got the d810 it is one fantastic camera

I don't notice much distortion on with the 28mm but it depends on the subject to a degree. In fact I find it versatile. I like the way I get a bit of the wide angle look if I want, or make things look 'normal' with it
I find that 35 and 50 are a bit too close. If I only want to take one prime I fit my old 35mm/f2, if I'm using two lenses it's the 28 and 50 pairing - which I prefer to using a 24-something zoom. A lot depends on how you work and what you shoot, though, as to which lenses suit you best.

_7504985.jpg

Thanks for that, 28 looks like a good consideration!

haha no worries you can never tell on this forum :D:D.

this is our 4th it will be a mad house just before xmas ooppss
I can't believe you're insinuating folk are sarcastic on here ;)

Bought a D750 on Sunday and took the first photo with it from a moving car on Blackfriar's Bridge.
Straight from camera (converted from Raw), handheld with Nikkor 80-400mm G lens.
Bought it primarily for wildlife, have a D800 for landscapes etc..
D750 1st shot by Graeme Hutson, on Flickr

D750 Shutter Count 1 by Graeme Hutson, on Flickr

It's leaning right... no offence but I don't get the "sooc" tag that everyone likes to add as if to excuse a wonky pic. Why not spend 30 seconds correcting it in PP ?

Hope I'm not to honest as I've travelled 3000 miles in 2 days, had 2 croissants and 3 coffees ..

haha no worries you can never tell on this forum :D:D.

this is our 4th it will be a mad house just before xmas ooppss

4th???!?!??!!!!? You must have been VERY bad in a previous life LOL! ;) (I am at maximum dog capacity with three)

Is swapping from a 24mm to a 28mm will make such a difference?

I like both the 50mm and the 85mm fixed focal lens, I recently moved from 85 to 50 because the 85 can get quickly too long indoor when you are not after a tight portrait.
I use to love the 35mm on film camera but i'm starting to find it harder (maybe by laziness) to use wide fixed focal lens. Exception to this is the 20mm but I only use it for night sky photography.

Is swapping from a 24mm to a 28mm will make such a difference?

I like both the 50mm and the 85mm fixed focal lens, I recently moved from 85 to 50 because the 85 can get quickly too long indoor when you are not after a tight portrait.
I use to love the 35mm on film camera but i'm starting to find it harder (maybe by laziness) to use wide fixed focal lens. Exception to this is the 20mm but I only use it for night sky photography.

I think so, maybe not, I don't know! Yeah, think there is lol.

Thanks! You have given me an idea to start a project up the yard! Will get me taking pics more!!
Be sure to post in the Projects section as well as here. (y)

Reactions: JJ!
Back