Nikon D750 & D780

I was going to ask where you take your dear pics as I'm only about 30mins north of woburn
All of mine are from Woburn. At times it can be good but it's very frustrating as you have to stay to the public footpaths which cross the estate. This often means lots of walking and the deer are often out of range in areas you can't access (Some visits ive never taken a photo if there aren't in range). Straying from the footpath isn't advisable as the gamekeepers will be over to have a word, and sometimes they just drive the deer away from you, especially around the Abbey. The rut can be good if you put in the hours and the walking. I've often done over 10 miles a day during the rut. My morning visits outside of the rut are usually easier as I only visit one of the areas meaning only about 2-3 miles.

Woburn has about 7 species of deer.there are quite a few reds, fallow and sika. The Pierre Davids are special as at one point they were the only herd left in the world, and the Woburn herd have since been used to repopulate China where they orginate from. The Pierre davids click as they walk too, you can often hear them.

Last edited:
All of mine are from Woburn. At times it can be good but it's very frustrating as you have to stay to the public footpaths which cross the estate. This often means lots of walking and the deer are often out of range in areas you can't access (Some visits ive never taken a photo if there aren't in range). Straying from the footpath isn't advisable as the gamekeepers will be over to have a word, and sometimes they just drive the deer away from you, especially around the Abbey. The rut can be good if you put in the hours and the walking. I've often done over 10 miles a day during the rut. My morning visits outside of the rut are usually easier as I only visit one of the areas meaning only about 2-3 miles.

Woburn has about 7 species of deer.there are quite a few reds, fallow and sika. The Pierre Davids are special as at one point they were the only herd left in the world, and the Woburn herd have since been used to repopulate China where they orginate from. The Pierre davids click as they walk too, you can often hear them.
I can't even get close regardless. I went Big Moor and everytime I got within about 30-50m (I'm crap at judging distance ;)) they walked off, likewise at Chatsworth.

I can't even get close regardless. I went Big Moor and everytime I got within about 30-50m (I'm crap at judging distance ;)) they walked off, likewise at Chatsworth.
That's still quite close for wild deer. I'm happy up to 20m-30m but perfect a large tree or pond between us If it's within 10-20m.

During the Rut I had one walk straight towards me getting to about 10m. I positioned the paying booth between me and the deer. Thankfully it decided a small patch grass to the side of the paying booth was nice giving me time to quickly exit on the opposite side. I then watched a lady get out of a car and walk within 5-6m of it and take photos on her phone!

I think the deer at woburn know people stick to the footpaths and the deer aren't chased around as much. There are plenty of runners, walkers and tourists about so they get used to humans. Only twice have I felt threaten but I just backed away slowly and they left me alone.

I like these. The first reminds me of the open roads image you see from America. It's not the landscape I was expecting to see of Tenerife.

Thanks Rob. Tenerife has some spectacular scenery when you get away from the tourist areas.

Like the 1st one, looks like a road to no where.
Also looks like the type of rock and colour we got here along the coast.

Thanks Graham.

Might take a trip down one weekend when i get a pass and the weather is a bit better.

Mind you that just got me thinking Castle ashby house have deer might do a bit more research into them

Nope, never heard of it :oops: :$
Now I've no idea if that emoticon means "you fool for suggesting it, I an Lady Jane Grey's great great grandson of course I know it" ... or it means "I wish someone would tell me where this place is, they keep saying I should go but I've no idea where"!

(PS. can often get close at Wollaton Hall / Park in Nottingham too)

Now I've no idea if that emoticon means "you fool for suggesting it, I an Lady Jane Grey's great great grandson of course I know it" ... or it means "I wish someone would tell me where this place is, they keep saying I should go but I've no idea where"!

(PS. can often get close at Wollaton Hall / Park in Nottingham too)
It's a "blush/embarrassed" emoticon ;)

It's a "blush/embarrassed" emoticon ;)
I'm never good at recognising emoticons ... and have absolutely no idea what the exploding sausage (different forum) is for except for telling people their frying pan is too hot! As for "No Jaffa Cakes" ... why would anyone need that!

Bradgate Park (for anyone who wants / needs to know) is North West of Leicester in the Charnwood area. Car parks are on Roecliffe Road, Sharpley Hill and in Newtown Linford.

I'm never good at recognising emoticons ... and have absolutely no idea what the exploding sausage (different forum) is for except for telling people their frying pan is too hot! As for "No Jaffa Cakes" ... why would anyone need that!

Bradgate Park (for anyone who wants / needs to know) is North West of Leicester in the Charnwood area. Car parks are on Roecliffe Road, Sharpley Hill and in Newtown Linford.
i think make the emoticons simple. just have thumb up or thumb down a bit gladiator like :D

might take some more pics of metal birds if they go up at 3pm today. missed the first 2 slots when the sun was out. It's gone all dreary now. oh the joy

might take some more pics of metal birds if they go up at 3pm today. missed the first 2 slots when the sun was out. It's gone all dreary now. oh the joy
Thats what you get for living in Blighty lol 18 Degs here atm :cool:

Got my retrospective 10 a day or so ago, actually like the blue slate colour but its bit bigger than I wanted. I'm sure I could have got away with the 5 for carrying the d750 and 35/85.
Even with the hood attached to the 85(1.4) on the d750 it sinks into the bag and doesn't sit on the folded devider.. its big enough intact to carry my 70-200 un mounted.

Got my retrospective 10 a day or so ago, actually like the blue slate colour but its bit bigger than I wanted. I'm sure I could have got away with the 5 for carrying the d750 and 35/85.
Even with the hood attached to the 85(1.4) on the d750 it sinks into the bag and doesn't sit on the folded devider.. its big enough intact to carry my 70-200 un mounted.

5 comes up a bit small and found that it's a bit tight for the 750 and couple of lenses. The 7 is a good balance if you find the 10 too big.

The 10 and 7 are near identical in size the 10 is 1.5cm higher and 2.5 cm wider but 1cm shorter, the difference are that small they would be un noticeable.

will be taking it on my holiday to chia so will see how i get on if it doesn't fit i will swap down to the 5 or look for an alternative.

The 10 and 7 are near identical in size the 10 is 1.5cm higher and 2.5 cm wider but 1cm shorter, the difference are that small they would be un noticeable.

will be taking it on my holiday to chia so will see how i get on if it doesn't fit i will swap down to the 5 or look for an alternative.

Guess so. But side by side the 10 definitely looks slightly bigger. Perhaps I prefer the 7 as it has the iPad pocket whilst being no bigger.

I would also buy a 5 if I wanted to just take out maybe 1 lens, but can't afford to have too many bags!

Last edited:

I have the 7 which is perfect for the combo you mention. I think the 10 is built for the 70-200.

Lake District on BBC2 right now... giving me the itch to get in the car and drive north...
Yes yes do it, go forth and mult...multi... Multip..... Go take photos.......... [emoji14]

Back