Nikon D750 & D780

Yup. A7ii. Apparently his hit rate is better. Me thinks faulty d750.
Me thinks user error ;) :p

In all seriousness IMO it is easier to get sharper results with contrast detect as there's no tolerance per se in the AF unlike phase detect (and bizarrely my RX100) which as you know can be within 1/3 depth of focus. Add to this I don't believe Rookies MA'd his lenses. He also complained his 5D3 was faulty.

Last edited:
The 5d3 wasn't faulty I miss that camera I think it was the 85mm lens I had for it. As the other lens were fine.

The d750 I wasn't getting sharp images with any lens where I composed. I did MA my lens and some were going up to 20

How's the A7ii Andrew?

Loving it. Am getting sharp and lovely images every time. There more pro to this than the d750.

If my d750 was as good as this I wouldn't of swapped. I might try another one one day as I kept one lens [emoji6]

The 5d3 wasn't faulty I miss that camera I think it was the 85mm lens I had for it. As the other lens were fine.

The d750 I wasn't getting sharp images with any lens where I composed. I did MA my lens and some were going up to 20
My mistake then as I thought you told me you swapped to the D750 as you weren't getting the images you wanted and thought it was faulty.

If you were MAing to 20 and still not getting sharp images then it does suggest a camera/lens fault :( Did you not consider sending it in for repair?

Anyway, glad you've finally got something you're happy with, I know that it's been driving you mad not finding a camera you're settled with so am chuffed for you that you finally have (y). Looking forward to seeing your pics.

My mistake then as I thought you told me you swapped to the D750 as you weren't getting the images you wanted and thought it was faulty.

If you were MAing to 20 and still not getting sharp images then it does suggest a camera/lens fault :( Did you not consider sending it in for repair?

Anyway, glad you've finally got something you're happy with, I know that it's been driving you mad not finding a camera you're settled with so am chuffed for you that you finally have (y). Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Hi

Thanks pal. I know some cameras are better than others. Like people say the d750 is better than the A7ii. But for me the A7ii has clicked to me and producing images I wanted and miss. I guess this is the main factor.

Never know one day [emoji6] I might end up like a Twist number 2 lol

No, although i did try an A7 in a store once and thought it was nice, even with the 28-70.

Yes the kit lens 28-70 is surprisingly good am happy with it. Not bothering with the F4 version as this is on,y a walk about. I've the 55mm lens and it a corker brilliant. Getting a wide one next and the 70-200 4. Can't justify price of 2.8 till it drops

Hi

Thanks pal. I know some cameras are better than others. Like people say the d750 is better than the A7ii. But for me the A7ii has clicked to me and producing images I wanted and miss. I guess this is the main factor.

Never know one day [emoji6] I might end up like a Twist number 2 lol
This is absolutely the main factor, first and foremost you've got to be happy with it otherwise it'll just be a dust collector. Ok so on paper the D750 is arguably overall a better camera but clearly it's not in this case, not for you anyway and that's what's important. I know you really missed the Q menu from Canon too.

I think we should arrange to go out for a shoot, always fancied a play with the A7 ;)

This is absolutely the main factor, first and foremost you've got to be happy with it otherwise it'll just be a dust collector. Ok so on paper the D750 is arguably overall a better camera but clearly it's not in this case, not for you anyway and that's what's important. I know you really missed the Q menu from Canon too.

I think we should arrange to go out for a shoot, always fancied a play with the A7 ;)

That shouldn't be a problem at all pal [emoji106]

GAS alert

Zara
by Anirban Acharya, on Flickr
Love this shot so sharp, this has inspired me to try some portraits with my Tamron 70-200 2.8 as never really thought to use it for this type of shot, usually just grab my 1.4 50mm.
Had my youngest grandson to stay this weekend so thought I would give it a try. Fairly happy with results although using a high ISO and didn't realise quite how shallow DOF is on this lens at 2.8.
untitled-116-Edit.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr
STAN@2.5-9-Edit.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

It was my birthday last week too - on the 11th. Yet another genius Aquarian, clearly....

I was working away from home, left the place I was staying at at 5.10, drove halfway around London to meet my client at 6.00am, then worked through till 9.30pm, then had a 70 minute drive back.
Rock'n'Roll eh ?

However, I got home yesterday afternoon to cards and presents from wife and kids, and then was shown a pile of 30 cards from the children in the classroom I help in which really made my day. Kids are wonderful!
Got a monopod, tripod and head coming soon, so now only need some time to get out with it all......

Love this shot so sharp, this has inspired me to try some portraits with my Tamron 70-200 2.8 as never really thought to use it for this type of shot, usually just grab my 1.4 50mm.
Had my youngest grandson to stay this weekend so thought I would give it a try. Fairly happy with results although using a high ISO and didn't realise quite how shallow DOF is on this lens at 2.8.
untitled-116-Edit.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr
STAN@2.5-9-Edit.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr
Love both shots. I have almost decided to keep this lens for portraits

It was my birthday last week too - on the 11th. Yet another genius Aquarian, clearly....
Belated birthday wishes Steve. Amazing to see ao many genius D750 owners :D

Belated birthday wishes Steve. Amazing to see ao many genius D750 owners :D

But is it ?
We buy a certain camera because we have the genius to see how good it is, even if, as in my case, we am not good enough to need such a capable thing...

But is it ?
We buy a certain camera because we have the genius to see how good it is, even if, as in my case, we am not good enough to need such a capable thing...
It was meant for fun only. :)

Sorry I know this has probably been covered before, but I want rid of the standard neck strap for a sling strap, any strong recommendations? Heaviest lens I have is the 35mm Sigma.

Thanks in advance

I use Op/Tech sling and like it. Since it fastens to the standard strap holders on the body, The tripod mount remains free and while using I tripod I can still have the strap attached as an extra safety option. Black rapids are good too.

I use Op/Tech sling and like it. Since it fastens to the standard strap holders on the body, The tripod mount remains free and while using I tripod I can still have the strap attached as an extra safety option. Black rapids are good too.
Thanks, I would prefer it to connect to the original strap holders on the body, I don't like the idea of using the tripod mount, although I know it is secure

If your going photography show you could try it there and see all system demoed

If your going photography show you could try it there and see all system demoed
I have tickets to the show but could do with it before then, will see if I can hold off. Going Belgium for work on Wednesday for a few days, it could be useful.

Anyone using the Peak Design Slide strap on their 750?
Tried it, didn't like it tbh. Ok with lighter lenses but with heavier ones the strap doesn't have any padding so starts to dig in. I prefer the BR sport.

I have one it is good!

Had a black rapid but the camera moved about on the body a lot more than it does with the slide strap, walking around with it on your hip is pretty comfy.
Didn't you have the locking clips on yours? My camera stays firmly on the hip.

It just rotated around the D-ring and flapped about because of that.

The slide strap is connected to the camera at 2 points, not just one so is held more securely.

The above are the very reason why I like the Peak design. Also can pull strap up camera further up the back before climbing some stones

Bit of a result from my lovely lady! Gotta love her (once I get her spoon out of the jars!)

14th Haul by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Back