Nikon D750 & D780

Toby is there lens correction with Aperture,i loved it too but cant recall it having lens correction so how do you go about it?
No, it's one of the areas it falls short. That being said I rarely use lens corrections but if there's something drastic I can send the finished aperture edit through LR for the lens corrections as you can link aperture to Lr and PS just like you can link LR to PS. Just right click then edit in.

Also if u didn't have LR isn't there something called PT lens correction ? I've always loved Aperture,the photos app whilst not being as good as aperture uses same raw conversions so I believe

Also if u didn't have LR isn't there something called PT lens correction ? I've always loved Aperture,the photos app whilst not being as good as aperture uses same raw conversions so I believe
Photos app is pants imo, very basic editing just exposure, black/white leves, sharpening, shadows/highlights and a few tints and that's it. No brushes, curves etc etc. Unless I'm missing something of course? I've not used PT lens correction as it's $25 dollars I believe.

Just noticed that they have swapped the focus and zoom ring on the new 70-200 o_O

They also claim its lighter, but only by 100g and smaller...well thats not right either. Current version is 2mm wider but a few mm shorter!

No dount it will be a great lens, but at £2800 its a lot of pennies! Plus the Zoom ring being that far up the lens, might not feel quite right!

I reckon by the time I save for the new 70-200 we will be out of the EU and the pound will have recovered enough to make it realistic. So, it's on the xmas list for....2019 [emoji3]
I like your optimism ;)

Just noticed that they have swapped the focus and zoom ring on the new 70-200 o_O

They also claim its lighter, but only by 100g and smaller...well thats not right either. Current version is 2mm wider but a few mm shorter!

No dount it will be a great lens, but at £2800 its a lot of pennies! Plus the Zoom ring being that far up the lens, might not feel quite right!

Feels ok that way around on the tammy, but will admit it was something I did wonder.

It's an investment lens. For a working pro it's a must, but for most of us amateurs probably overkill. In a couple of years' time, and providing it's as good as it should be, I will go for it, based on the fact it will last me 15 years and stop any further GAS for anything else in that focal range. Over those years it works out reasonable.

I could chop the 85 1.4 in and go with a 1.8 version and the tammy, which would knock £1k off the cost :runaway:

stop any further GAS for anything else in that focal range

Won't happen lol!

But saying that, I think I am pretty set now too. I will pick up another 50mm as and when one comes up in the classifieds for when I want to go light.

Last edited:
Anyone tried one of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AFUNTA-Eye...22&sr=8-4-fkmr0&keywords=nikon+eye+cover+dk-5

These is the way to do it with nikon parts but it needs 3 parts and is more expensive. I was wondering if its any good.
I just got one for my D750, I got it from ebay shop jackinthehat I think, at £20 + its costly but it really fits well and WONT just fall off.I got the smaller one as I dont always wear glasses.
Search for Hoodman hoodeye H-eyen22s for nikon
PS, they do have a web site too.

Last edited:
I just got one for my D750, I got it from ebay shop jackinthehat I think, at £20 + its costly but it really fits well and WONT just fall off.I got the smaller one as I dont always wear glasses.
Search for Hoodman hoodeye H-eyen22s for nikon
PS, they do have a web site too.
thanks that looks good. I'm only thinking about one due to the sun causing problems. I was getting glare between the camera and my eye when looking through the viewfinder, cutting it out would be great.

thanks that looks good. I'm only thinking about one due to the sun causing problems. I was getting glare between the camera and my eye when looking through the viewfinder, cutting it out would be great.
I use the one that comes in 3 pieces and it works well for that. Day to day I think I prefer the original.

Whilst staying nearby last month I took a trip out at sunrise hoping to get some images of the sea around the pill box. At sunrise the tide was wrong and pill box was 10m away from the sea. After 3 hours it was lapping around the pill box and I was about to get something like I had set out to.

Pill Box Caister Beach- Portrait by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Are those tree roots or fallen branches in the foreground. That part of Croatia looks a little like parts of the Lake District.

A bit of both tbh fallen trees aswell, This is plitvice national park its on the same walk as all the waterfalls.

I must be buying too much stuff on here as I've just been locked out of the classifieds for the first time ever :(

Just looking at my number off msgs against how much I have bought. It doesn't seem possible to have slipped below the ratio. Any of you guys know how I can check this?

If nikon do bring out a Canon-esque 1.2 line up I think I'll need to sell my house. Or get a divorce.

I wonder why Nikon replaced the 70-300 VR with a DX version. Surely with full frame cameras becoming more affordable, some people might want a cheaper and lighter zoom lens and the old 70-300 VR is getting on a bit now! I guess the alternative is to go third party.

I wonder why Nikon replaced the 70-300 VR with a DX version. Surely with full frame cameras becoming more affordable, some people might want a cheaper and lighter zoom lens and the old 70-300 VR is getting on a bit now! I guess the alternative is to go third party.
Didn't realise they did :confused:

They haven't. They have introduced 2 new DX versions though, one with VR and one without. As to why ... who knows the mysteries of Nikon decision making???
That's what I thought. Been a while since the DX teles were updated I think.

They haven't. They have introduced 2 new DX versions though, one with VR and one without. As to why ... who knows the mysteries of Nikon decision making???

Yeah I kind of meant why they didnt replace the 70-300 VR FX - its surely due an update and could have been used on FX and DX. As for introducing one with VR and one withought, its a bit odd to me!

Yeah I kind of meant why they didnt replace the 70-300 VR FX - its surely due an update and could have been used on FX and DX. As for introducing one with VR and one withought, its a bit odd to me!

The VR on the new DX lens can only be switched off with some cameras as it's controlled by the firmware. I guess that's why one doesn't have VR. There's also some focusing issues with older bodies. All very confusing. http://www.dslrbodies.com/lenses/ni...-lens-reviews/nikon-70-300mm-f45-63-af-p.html.

The VR on the new DX lens can only be switched off with some cameras as it's controlled by the firmware. I guess that's why one doesn't have VR. There's also some focusing issues with older bodies. All very confusing. http://www.dslrbodies.com/lenses/ni...-lens-reviews/nikon-70-300mm-f45-63-af-p.html.

Interesting read, so its no good for older Nikons either. Why would you take away the switches?!!

'Sadly, if you don’t own one of the latest generation or two of the lower DX DSLRs, you still may be stuck with the older choices. The D7100 and D7200 can’t turn off VR, which is a shame.'

DX lenses can be designed cheaper, smaller and lighter so is a better option for the DX folk.

Interesting read, so its no good for older Nikons either. Why would you take away the switches?!!

'Sadly, if you don’t own one of the latest generation or two of the lower DX DSLRs, you still may be stuck with the older choices. The D7100 and D7200 can’t turn off VR, which is a shame.'
Just one more thing, and imo it's just cutting costs. I'm sure that's the only reason we don't have the extremely useful distance scales anymore too. More difficult to judge subject distance to get hyperfocal distance and zone focus without and so I wish they brought them back.

Going to a wedding tomorrow (as a guest) and can't decide whether to take the 24-120mm f4 or 24-70mm f2.8 I know the 24-70mm is a better lens but last time I went to a wedding I only had the 24-120 and found the extra reach very handy as you don't get the freedom to move around as a guest. Decisions decisions o_O :LOL:

Most likely with the d500 in mind since it seems aimed at nature togs and action. 300 on crop is 450 right?
Possibly re the D500 and yes the FoV is equiv to 450mm.

ETA: The lenses aren't really spec'd as "pro" standard lenses so don't really match the D500 with it being a pro spec body.

Last edited:
Back