Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Here's my first attempt, using it to light the foreground so that it isn't dark or the background isn't blown:

Rose by Mr_Si, on Flickr

(Initially I thought it was too bright, but this laptop's screen is v bright so I have to allow for that when I look at the images.)

Just joined the Nikon D7100 club this evening when the new camera got dropped off, very pleased with it so far, just got to work out what all the buttons do

Hello.
New D7000 owner here, i have a 35mm1.8 and a 18-70 3.5-4.5 and are happy with them but now need a zoom.

Within my budget i like the Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 sp di vc usd, i am hoping to pick up a used one from these forums.

I was wondering if anyone had used this lens on a D7k and if so what was their opinions of it?

Thanks for any help.

Has anyone else had their D7100 not record images it's taken?

Last w/end I took around 900 shots however the camera decided to not record approx 250 to either SD card.

When I was out shooting I decided to review some of my shots and noticed several were missing. I then took a few shots, focused/released shutter etc but none of them would write to either SD card and pics remaining level stayed the same. I switched cam off/on and still problem persisted. I removed/replaced with different SD cards and still problem persisted. I sat and cursed Nikon for a while and then went into the card function menu and changed what card 2 does and suddenly cam decided to start recording images again on both cards. When I got home I also noticed that the cam had jumped around 250 DSC numbers - so it had recognised the shutter clicks but just not bothered recording the images:mad:. I could live with the problem if I was aware of an issue when the cam didn't write/record the pics, but as it functioned normally I was not aware.

I've never had a problem with cards in any of my other Nikons and the fact that all SD cards I tried had the same issue says to me the cam has a writing/firmware issue. As it's an intermittent problem it's unlikely to help if I send it back to Nikon as no doubt it will work fine when they have it and they'll blame the cards.

During past month I've started getting problems but seem to have a different issue that I don't get next time I go out. One day the cam had ERR codes randomly appear and decided it couldn't play back shots (blaming the card) which I fixed by removing/reinserting the card, then I had shutter make a horrible crunch sound a couple of times same day, one of them led to the mirror locking up and cam stayed on stuck on ERR - managed to release it by switching to live view and taking a shot (when I got home). Next time out, I started getting corrupt RAW files that would view fine on camera but not on computer and this time around I've got the worst of all with it not recording pics. I've sort of lost all confidence with it now if I can't rely on it to record pics I've taken - gradually my D7100 seems to be deteriorating the more I use it that I'm expecting total failure with it at some point.

I'll have to send it back to Nikon but no doubt it'll work fine when/if they test it.

Has anyone else had their D7100 not record images it's taken?

Last w/end I took around 900 shots however the camera decided to not record approx 250 to either SD card.

When I was out shooting I decided to review some of my shots and noticed several were missing. I then took a few shots, focused/released shutter etc but none of them would write to either SD card and pics remaining level stayed the same. I switched cam off/on and still problem persisted. I removed/replaced with different SD cards and still problem persisted. I sat and cursed Nikon for a while and then went into the card function menu and changed what card 2 does and suddenly cam decided to start recording images again on both cards. When I got home I also noticed that the cam had jumped around 250 DSC numbers - so it had recognised the shutter clicks but just not bothered recording the images:mad:. I could live with the problem if I was aware of an issue when the cam didn't write/record the pics, but as it functioned normally I was not aware.

I've never had a problem with cards in any of my other Nikons and the fact that all SD cards I tried had the same issue says to me the cam has a writing/firmware issue. As it's an intermittent problem it's unlikely to help if I send it back to Nikon as no doubt it will work fine when they have it and they'll blame the cards.

During past month I've started getting problems but seem to have a different issue that I don't get next time I go out. One day the cam had ERR codes randomly appear and decided it couldn't play back shots (blaming the card) which I fixed by removing/reinserting the card, then I had shutter make a horrible crunch sound a couple of times same day, one of them led to the mirror locking up and cam stayed on stuck on ERR - managed to release it by switching to live view and taking a shot (when I got home). Next time out, I started getting corrupt RAW files that would view fine on camera but not on computer and this time around I've got the worst of all with it not recording pics. I've sort of lost all confidence with it now if I can't rely on it to record pics I've taken - gradually my D7100 seems to be deteriorating the more I use it that I'm expecting total failure with it at some point.

I'll have to send it back to Nikon but no doubt it'll work fine when/if they test it.
If it's still under warranty send it off for repair. I had an issue once with a d7000 not recognising cards, corrupting data etc, sending it away for repair sorted all the problems. Sounds like it's more than one issue if the shutter and memory card recording is playing up.

Quick Q for Nikon owners - how do you clean your viewfinder ? Have not cleaned either the 7100 or the 600 V/F yet and both are getting a bit dusty/gruby - I don't want to use my sensor gel cleaner (use only for the sensor) what suggestions dya have ?

The viewfinder?? You mean the eyepiece? I just use the end of my t-shirt... LOL. It's just the viewfinder and has no bearing on image quality. Just clean it with whatever.

I sure do and it's really good. For about £200 it's an absolute bargain and the results it produces are great. I'll chuck up some images this evening if I get chance. (And I remember... )
Thanks minnnt, good to know and i look forward to your pics.

Cheers.... (If your replying to me lol!)

Last edited:
I was indeed. :) I'll sort them this evening for you. :) anything in particular you're wanting to use it for?

I would like to shoot some outdoor sports if the AF is quick enough? And maybe a bit of wildlife also.

Thanks for the offer of pictures i will be at work until 10pm so no rush.

Thanks again.

Let us know how you get on as i am looking at one to add to the bag & the 7000 :)

I think I will take it back as I think the yn586 ex 2 can do it all except cls commander. Plus it was almost an impulse buy as I was in the shop and wanted a unit. I might get an sb700 in the end though.

Is anyone using the AFS 80-400 on their D7000?
Hi. Yep I'm using one. Only had it a week or so but pretty chuffed with it so far.
I stepped up from a 70-300 VR and the difference is just what I'd hoped. ( Should be for the price I guess)
I use it as a walk about lens and it feels just right.
Some pics from the first couple of outings with it.

Buff-tailed bumble bee
by Rich-J-S, on Flickr

Wren - Juvenile
by Rich-J-S, on Flickr

Love the Wren :)
Thank you (y)

Thanks for that Rich.

I'm seriously considering it.

Great Wren (y)

Thanks

I thought about it for a long time and couldn't find anything that ticked all my boxes like this does.
I wanted quality and sharpness and it be light enough to mostly be hand held.

I previously had a Sigma 150-500 but it was just too bulky and considered the new Tamron but again too big and heavy.

These pics were pretty much straight from the camera with a bit of crop and tweeks to make up for my iffy settings.
Very little CA and handles highlights very well without any halos which the Sigma suffered badly with.

Go for it.:)

Do any of you D7000 owners use the 70-200 VR11 on your bodies. I'd like to know how it feels, is it a mismatch or size for size a good fit. I tried an 80-200 on mine a while ago and it felt wrong, the body just didn't feel big enough for such a weighty beast.

I have the 70-200 VRII on mine, also with the grip. It feels absolutely fine. A tad lens heavy but not seriously.

Here you go mate. I've tried to vary it a little. It's a nice lens and feels nice on the D7000.

The Incredible Hulk!
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Swan

Backlit Hawthorn

Lily

BTCC Media Day Donnington Park

Blue Tit

Black Headed Gull in flight

Hello My Deer
Thank M8.
Wow! great shots, you have really made my mind up that this lens is for me.
Can't thank you enough for your trouble. Cheers Paul.

You're welcome. Considered selling it and getting the sigma 150-500 but can't bring myself to part with it. Lol.
Yeah can't blame you but heard the 150-500 is well liked by the birding lads.

Gonna put a wanted add in the sales area to see what turns up..

Cheers again Paul.

Do any of you D7000 owners use the 70-200 VR11 on your bodies. I'd like to know how it feels, is it a mismatch or size for size a good fit. I tried an 80-200 on mine a while ago and it felt wrong, the body just didn't feel big enough for such a weighty beast.

Yer i also have the cheap ol 70-200 F2.8 vr11 on my D7000 and she does need the grip attached to the camera to balance the combo up.
I purchased a genuine MBD11 from Digital rev and it's perfect.........However i did add the weight of the Body, Lens (std foot attached), Grip (with a EN EL15 inside) and your lugging around 2.649kg (5.84 lbs) give or take a smidge which is probably why i purchased a Mono Pod shortly after :)
I tried it without the grip and it's noticeably lens heavy....

I hunted around for a decent priced Genuine Nikon MBD11 as i had read across the tinterweb non genuine grips can cause issues with battery drain and in some cases this included the Body EN-EL15 !!
Couldn't do with ending up with an iffy copy so i ordered one from Digital Rev, They do 2 grips one being the Genuine one for £135.00 the other a i-Lion one for £45.00.
I took a chance and ordered the Advertised genuine one at £135.00 delivered and checked it out as soon as it arrived, Nikon have a guide on their website to show the differances COUNTERFEIT GRIPS
Link to Digital Rev Battery Grip i purchased MBD11

I think I will take it back as I think the yn586 ex 2 can do it all except cls commander. Plus it was almost an impulse buy as I was in the shop and wanted a unit. I might get an sb700 in the end though.

I'm going back tomorrow to take it back to the shop.
I've since bought a yn-568ex and a yn622n-tx and yn622n (1x transmitter and 1x transceiver) trigger pack, plus some accessories. All for less than the price of 1x Metz.
Yes it doesn't have the commander, but I don't think I will need that with wireless triggers.
Plus the yn speedlight rotates a full 180 in both directions, which is just handy.

D7100 arrived this morning as a second body to my D800... Initial impressions are favourable (as expected). :)

I'm going to give it a test on some Red Kites this afternoon.

Grew tired of waiting for the direct D300 replacement and despite reseravtions about the D7100 buffer I purchased one at a very favourable price about 6 weeks ago - and Ive got to say I love the camera, the buffer is a non-issue (just goes to show that not all that you read on the net is true), you quickly get used to the slightly smaller size, and the new control layout. The D7100 doesn't look quite as pro as the D300 but since purchase the D300 hasn't come out and is now relegated very much to back-up should anything go wrong with the D7100.

So any of you D300 owners with reservations about the D7100, forget them, get a D7100 and enjoy.

At the price that a low clicks mint D7100 goes for, it's a no brainer as great value for money

I just do not understand why Nikon have moved away from developing a pro DX body? I would buy one tomorrow just for "birds" and close up using telephoto primes …… and I'm not a pro

Last edited:
i upgraded from a d90 to d7100 - very low clicks , less than a 1000 off an old chap for 615.00 and i'm loving it...

Had the D7100 for just over a month now, and at this time of the year, I'm mainly shooting Butterflies/Dragonflies.

Tried the 1.3X crop several times, but have yet to make my mind up about this feature??

A couple of photos, using both full size, and 1.3X crop. The subject being both male and female Chalk-Hill Blues. This butterfly is quite small in size, typically 30-36mm. The lens used, was my macro AF 105mm 2.8D, Jpeg, no flash, auto focus, handheld.

All 3 photos are not cropped at all (just re-sized down). Cheers Paul.

This 1st pic is of the male(at full size).

Male Chalk-Hill Blue(uncropped). 12th-July-2014. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

The next 2 shots are at the 1.3X crop.

Ist up is the female.

Female Chalk-Hill Blue(uncropped). 12th-July-2014. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Then another shot of a male.

Male Chalk-Hill Blue(uncropped). 12th-July-2014. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Back