Nikon D7xxx owners thread

I have come to join the gang if it's ok with you boys & Girls.

Oh well I've gone and done it, better packup my old D50

Nikon D7000 Digital SLR Body in Mint condition and in full working order.

It was my wedding shoot backup so it's hardly been used.
UK purchased stock so it's not a Grey import & has the Nikon warranty card to indicate this.
The LCD screens (top and back) have been protected with a GGS hard cover, so the camera is in A1+ condition
What's included is the full Nikon boxed kit + 1x memory SD card,
Simon Stafford D7000 ref Book ( best book you can get
Shutter count a very low 8650

£400

I had a nice surprise this morning my D7000 turned up :banana: & its is in Mint condition (y) & an extra bonus the Simon Stafford Nikon D7000 book 380 page plus.

Ok can somebody tell me what I am I doing wrong. 1st Pict is original & 2nd has been tweaked to what I believe it should look like. Why is the original so dark. EXIF data are on flickr

Orig by Digisatman, on Flickr

Tweaked

tweaked by Digisatman, on Flickr

Last edited:
That is just how the camera meter reads the dynamic range of the scene. The sky is correctly exposed in the first shot, the dark areas will always be much darker. To make them lighter you would need to lengthen the shutter speed which would blow out the sky. Filters or blending multiple exposures would help you here. Or just do as you have done by lightening the shadows in PP.

just thought i would post on here as recently got a d7000 and loving it, currently this week i have no lens as upgrading in part exchange for either a tamron 90mm macro or sigma 105mm both the same price so its just choosing between the 2

Hey the pics look great.

does anyone know anywhere I can get mine serviced. I need to get it and all my lenses done. Ideally around Hertfordshire or London?

From memory it was set for spot & autofocus set to AF-C

Below is taken from photo 3

• Make - NIKON CORPORATION
  • Software - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Windows)
  • Date and Time (Modified) -2014:08:24 16:49:25
  • Copyright - Shaun Lafferty
  • Sensitivity Type - Recommended Exposure Index
  • Serial Number @@@@@@@@@
  • Lens Info - 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
  • Lens Model - 18.0-55.0 mm f/3.5-5.6
  • Padding - (Binary data 2060 bytes, use -b option to extract)
  • ISO Speed - 800
  • Exif Version - 0230
  • Date and Time (Original) -2014:08:24 15:51:10
  • Date and Time (Digitized) -2014:08:24 15:51:10
  • Exposure Bias - +11/3 EV
  • Max Aperture Value - 5.7
  • Metering Mode - Spot
  • Light Source - Flash
  • Sub Sec Time Original - 50
  • Sub Sec Time Digitized - 50
  • Color Space - sRGB
  • Sensing Method - One-chip color area
  • File Source - Digital Camera
  • Scene Type - Directly photographed
  • CFAPattern - [Red,Green][Green,Blue]
  • Custom Rendered - Normal
  • Exposure Mode - Auto
  • White Balance - Manual
  • Digital Zoom Ratio - 1
  • Focal Length (35mm format) - 82 mm
  • Scene Capture Type - Standard
  • Gain Control - Low gain up
  • Contrast - Normal
  • Saturation - Normal
  • Sharpness - Normal
  • Subject Distance Range - Unknown
  • Padding - (Binary data 2060 bytes, use -b option to extract)
  • Viewing Cond Illuminant - 19.6445 20.3718 16.8089
  • Viewing Cond Surround - 3.92889 4.07439 3.36179
  • Viewing Conditions Illuminant Type -D50
  • Measurement Observer - CIE 1931
  • Measurement Backing - 0 0 0
  • Measurement Geometry - Unknown (0)
  • Measurement Flare - 0.999%
  • Measurement Illuminant - D65
  • About -@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
  • Creator Tool - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Windows)
  • Rights - Shaun Lafferty
  • Camera ID -@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Last edited:
Oh and I have below set at 13

314052.image2.jpg

That's the reason. In the above picture it would seem that the camera (you!) have metered for the sky which has been exposed perfectly but the much darker trees have been under exposed. If you set it to average (or what ever it's called) it should make a better job of it.

Thw D7000 has something called active D lighting which will basically expose shadows more by raising the iso in those areas whilst keeping the lighter areas exposed correctly aswell. It can be a bit poor if you push it too high, but a low setting can work well but I think it only works with jpeg so if you shoot raw it won't be of any help. :LOL: in reality though you'd just be better off doing that kind of work in PP rather than using in camera trickery pokery stuff as it can look totally different on the screen to your monitor at home.

Evening all us D7000 special people.

Just recieved an E-Mail informing me that there is now a D7000 digital camera - Firmware Update A 1.04, B 1.05 now available.

Then they kindly supplied a link NIKON SUPPORT

So i did it.. so whats that do then?
Apparently something to do with:

"Support for distortion control data Ver. L: 2.000 and later has been added.
Taken from the F/ware upgrade page.

sorry, was too lazy to click the linky..

Not sure i'll bother with the update

I understand there is a new firmware update. It's either out or coming shortly. On mobile so unable to post link.

Anyone know what the going rate is for a second hand D7000 + Nikon grip in good condition is at the moment ?

there's a d7000 in the classifieds at £365 now and another went last week for the same. Not sure about the grip though

Love You... :D It also has a grip and second battery aswell for another £20... :whistle:

TBH, i have the in camera distortion control turned off and just apply the lens correction in Lr as i find it does a better job and i also have more control over it. I find that with the 35mm f1.8 there isn't THAT much distortion anyway.

Received the following message today. Should I bother or ....?

Our records show that you are a registered owner of a D7000 digital camera. We would like to inform you that there is a new firmware update available for your camera.

This firmware update makes various changes to improve the operation of your camera. It is recommended that you update your cameras firmware to ensure that you have the latest improvements available for your product.

For further information and detailed instructions on how to download the firmware and update your camera visit the Nikon Support Centre.

We hope you continue to enjoy your camera.

I think I'll wait until I know for sure that the new firmware doesn't torpedo 3rd party batteries and grips!

I think I'll wait until I know for sure that the new firmware doesn't torpedo 3rd party batteries and grips!
I put the new firmwares on both my D7100 and D90 (there's new firmware out to add compatibility for the new distortion controls for multiple cameras) both of which run 3rd party grips with no issues whatsoever.

I would guess but please don't start a rumor (He said she said jack) they have hidden a widget within the fw to kill some more third part accessories :runaway:
Maybe !!
I like the sound of distortion control thou as most of my snaps fall square into that category :runaway::runaway::runaway:

Must type faster :rolleyes:

Going back to an earlier question about the roles of slots 1 & 2, I too am struggling to understand how it works, basically, I want to record Raw on slot 1, and Jpeg on slot 2, and before anyone asks why, it's because my PC to which my printer is linked is so old it doesn't recognise Raw, or NEF, so I just want Jpeg images for printing. My laptop does accept Raw and because I have Nikon NX2 loaded I can manipulate the images.
The problem I have is, when I set the image quality to Raw, and then set the role played by the card in slot 2 to the third option, Raw slot 1 - Jpeg slot 2, I end up with Raw images on both cards. Am I doing something wrong or might there be a problem with the camera.
Thanking you in anticipation of a reply.
Ken

Going back to an earlier question about the roles of slots 1 & 2, I too am struggling to understand how it works, basically, I want to record Raw on slot 1, and Jpeg on slot 2, and before anyone asks why, it's because my PC to which my printer is linked is so old it doesn't recognise Raw, or NEF, so I just want Jpeg images for printing. My laptop does accept Raw and because I have Nikon NX2 loaded I can manipulate the images.
The problem I have is, when I set the image quality to Raw, and then set the role played by the card in slot 2 to the third option, Raw slot 1 - Jpeg slot 2, I end up with Raw images on both cards. Am I doing something wrong or might there be a problem with the camera.
Ken

Hi Ken.

Cant see anything wrong, mine does the same. Cant help wondering why you need to select Raw only. Set it to raw plus jpeg (fine, normal etc) and you will record Raw to card 1 & Jpeg to card 2

It's you. How can the camera save JPEG on card 2 when you've only told it to save NEF? Set it to save NEF + JPEG and all will be well.
FWIW I use the same setup and find I rarely need the NEF card.

Ken

I asked the same question a while ago. I think that the way it works is not ideal, but something you have to live with.

So I've just bought a D7000 :banana:.........but I'm struggling to delete the copyright information on the camera :banghead:

I've had a quick google and read that I hold down the ISO button and use the direction button to highlight the letter to delete.....so far so good (y), then, whilst still holding down the ISO button, press the delete button........but it won't delete
shakehead.gif

Any other ideas please?

I've set it to off for now :)

Back