Nikon D7xxx owners thread

I have a D5500 and honestly, its a great camera ! I bought this over anything in the D3*** range because the D5*** range had more to offer despite also being the more of an entry level range but the D7*** seemed to out of my budget. I also don't plan on getting another camera as I am hobbyist and I also feel as though this is a remarkable tool and I'd go as far as saying if any bad image comes out the camera, it's probably my fault for not doing a good enough job !
I was initially looking at the D7**** range, even a pre owned body was about £500 or more. I really would have loved a D7*** body, to be able to bring out my old lenses and enjoy using them. I just did not have the funds available, so I opted for the D3300. It was £275 with kit lens and spare battery and a camera bag, plus two years warranty.

I still do not have a spare £500, but I do have a very capable camera with pretty good IQ. :)

I was initially looking at the D7**** range, even a pre owned body was about £500 or more. I really would have loved a D7*** body, to be able to bring out my old lenses and enjoy using them. I just did not have the funds available, so I opted for the D3300. It was £275 with kit lens and spare battery and a camera bag, plus two years warranty.

I still do not have a spare £500, but I do have a very capable camera with pretty good IQ. :)
Yes John i had a d7200 and its a lovely camera and yes i would like one again but i dont have the urge to get one now ive at least had one.no doubt it has great handling and options but i like the simplicity of the d3300.
For my busy life its less to think about

Yes John i had a d7200 and its a lovely camera and yes i would like one again but i dont have the urge to get one now ive at least had one.no doubt it has great handling and options but i like the simplicity of the d3300.
For my busy life its less to think about
I have toyed with getting something like D90, just to be able to use my old lenses. I might, just only might pick up a D80. If I see one going for unimportant money. :)

Get a D200 :)
They cost peanuts now.

This is one I took recently on my D7000. Photo over the rooftops of Cambridge from a mutlistory car park.

ZGVXnd

I have a D7000, D7100 and a D7200 and have gone right off photography. Should I sell or should I hang on to them? :nikon:

If three camera's and all the peripherals that go with them and your love for photography has waned then pare the kit down to a modest set-up because as sure as God made little green apples you will be inspired in the future.
Brian.

D7000 was my first camera for sports photography. Moved onto the other two, one for video and one for snapping the runners as they went by. 3 primes - 35mm 50mm 85mm

The D7000 has video capability, the 50mm prime is a standard go anywhere do anything lens, and is the least valuable monetary wise of your kit, so put a few quid back in your pocket by selling the other kit....then sit back and regret at your leisure that you flogged off the other stuff when that inspiration hooks you in the future :nikon:

You see, your enthusiasm is just under the surface, wait until Spring next year, do nothing in the meantime and then see if that "spark" ignites you. The kit costs nothing to put in the cupboard. I gave up bird watching and took up this photography malarkey but would I sell my Kowa spotting scope? no way! it's sat in my wardrobe but will be brought out as and when the mood takes me, it's bought and paid for but would be hellishly expensive to replace.
Brian.

Not sure whether this is the correct sub forum but Hdew are currently selling the D7500 for £879.
Official dealers are £1249 or more.

Just received a D7200 body from Amazon warehouse in ‘Good’ condition for £527. Took a punt on it being in better condition than described. Haven’t had it out of the bag yet as need a lens anyway but it looks in as new condition to me.

Decent price for that?

HI, can anyone answer me this? I'm wondering if there are any issues with using different size/speed/type of SD cards in the dual memory slots on the D7100? Not the end of the world if not, just curious if I can use some existing cards together.

Last edited:
HI, can anyone answer me this? I'm wondering if there are any issues with using different size/speed/type of SD cards in the dual memory slots on the D7100? Not the end of the world if not, just curious if I can use some existing cards together.
You can use different speeds, but the write speed will be limited to the speed of the slowest card (or the speed the camera is capable of writing at if that is slower).

You can use different speeds, but the write speed will be limited to the speed of the slowest card (or the speed the camera is capable of writing at if that is slower).

Ah OK thanks - makes sense. I think I'll stump up the cash for a couple of new ones in that case.

Anyone able to recommend a good wireless flash trigger that you can control flash power with as well ?

Using the yongnuo's at the moment but no power control.

Godox is what I’m moving over to I have a couple of the TT350 units one Fuji and one Olympus along with X1 triggers for Oly/pan Fuji and I already had a Nikon trigger and receiver.
I have now added a AD200 Light That came with a X1c trigger Canon.
all the new Godox 2.4ghz are cross compatible.
So long as you have the correct trigger for your system Brand the flash units will work as you now have full cross compatibility and control of both ttl and manual from the trigger fitted your camera.
Godox really do appear to have stolen the lead on cross compatibility of mixed flash lighting a TT350 and trigger of choice can be had for as little as £100
Anyone able to recommend a good wireless flash trigger that you can control flash power with as well ?

Using the yongnuo's at the moment but no power control.

Last edited:
Is there a limit to the number of lenses that can have a profile saved in AF-Fine tune on a D7000 ? Also has anyone had any success when using the green dot method for AF fine tune ?
Thanks in advance

Is there a limit to the number of lenses that can have a profile saved in AF-Fine tune on a D7000 ? Also has anyone had any success when using the green dot method for AF fine tune ?
Thanks in advance
Yep, the limit is 12 iirc. Not used the green dot method - unless that is another name for dot-tune, I prefer either using a af fine tune device (a ruler @ 45 degrees to a cornflake box works well) or focal software.

advance
Yep, the limit is 12 iirc. Not used the green dot method - unless that is another name for dot-tune, I prefer either using a AF fine tune device (a ruler @ 45 degrees to a cornflake box works well) or focal software.
Thanks for that Paul and yes I was referring to the dot-tune method. Planning to give it a go this weekend. Its all new to me as coming from a D90 but it appears this could be a useful. setting for ensuring focus is spot on. Thanks

What is the best way to AF fine tune a zoom lens, if required - Nikon 24-120mm f4 for example.
It may not be required for any of my zooms but would like to know how it done should I need it.
Thanks

What is the best way to AF fine tune a zoom lens, if required - Nikon 24-120mm f4 for example.
It may not be required for any of my zooms but would like to know how it done should I need it.
Thanks
At the long end basically. With Nikon you can only fine tune at one focal length per lens. Theory is that the DoF is deeper at the short end than the long end.

At the long end basically. With Nikon you can only fine tune at one focal length per lens. Theory is that the DoF is deeper at the short end than the long end.

Or -- long-endish but close to the F/Length you use most... (if you have Light-room it's fairly easy to see)

Back