Nikon D7xxx owners thread

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130583973754?redirect=mobile

Hi all,

Have just bought the Meike grip from the link provided above and thought I would say a few words in case anyone is interested.

The grip arrived today (Wednesday) after ordering Sunday and came well packaged.

Had some initial worries straight out of the box, it does feel a bit plasticky and cheap but once I had it screwed onto the D7000 is feels really solid and looks the part. There is a well known connection problem with this grip and causes the 'INFO' LED to randomly flash. Following tips on other reviews a well placed peice of cardboard helps and it stopped straight away. I dont know whether its pot luck but on my model the shutter and aperture wheels turn the correct way (which was my big worry). The D button is pretty sensitive but I'm already used to it after only an hours play.

There are two trays for the grip. One for 4xAA batteries and the other for another EN-L15.

The only thing I havent tested is the strength of the tripod screw on the bottom but cant see any issues with it.

I'm a bit of a badge freak and usually Nikon or anything but for £30 you really cant go wrong.
Hi Dan

A couple of the 'big box' stores here in Canada sell a grip made by DigiPower and the fit seems to be very good. Controls work great and the tripod mount has been solid. The grip cost $99.00 (CAD) whereas the Nikon grip runs $300+ (CAD).
The only issue I have noted is that it seems to randomly drain the battery when the camera is turned off and not used for a few days. I use the Nikon battery in the grip's battery holder (It also came with an AA batt holder).
Has anyone else experienced this battery draining issue with the 3rd party grips? Any solutions?

looking to purchase a d7000 & 16-85 this week - jessops seem the cheapest for the lens, can anyone recommend a good place for a d7000 new body?
Amazon seem to be the cheapest for a uk body at £712 but I've never bought camera equipment from them.

Or i could get a new import of ebay for around £650, just the issue with the warranty though.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

looking to purchase a d7000 & 16-85 this week - jessops seem the cheapest for the lens, can anyone recommend a good place for a d7000 new body?
Amazon seem to be the cheapest for a uk body at £712 but I've never bought camera equipment from them.

Or i could get a new import of ebay for around £650, just the issue with the warranty though.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

http://camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod1632.html
http://camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod643.html

Thanks, so Amazon is the cheapest for a non import.
I also noticed that Hdewcameras have an imported new body for £655, is the £60 trade off worth the risk of not being able to go directly to nikon should there end up being a problem down the line?

I have just replaced my D3100 with a D7000 from the classifieds here and it is a superb bit of kit. I already have the 16-85 and 35/1.8 but will look at getting something longer and a 24mm in the near future.

I have seen loads of cheap grips on ebay going for between £30-£50. Are these any good? Which makes are worth getting?

Thanks

just wondered - does anyone use the focus lock switch on the back of the d7000 (the one just above the info button) if so in what circumstances.

mikeysaling said:
just wondered - does anyone use the focus lock switch on the back of the d7000 (the one just above the info button) if so in what circumstances.

That is the focus selector lock rather than a focus lock. I use back button focussing where I have set the AE lock button for focussing so separating focus from shutter release. HTH

Hey folks looking for a little advice on Nikon lenses, currently I've been through a few compact system cameras (sold an Olympus EP2 and got a Fuji X-Pro 1 and then back to an Olympus OM-D) however I've been finding myself shooting subjects that are probably better suited to a DSLR rather than CSC and I've been looking at the d7000 partly as I know it's meant to be a cracker of a camera and partly as I very nearly bought one before the Olympus OMD.

My current lens lineup is as such:

Panasonic 7-14mm f4
Panasonic 25mm f1.4
Olympus 45mm f1.8
Panasonic 100-300 f4-5.6

Basically I'm wondering what would be decent Nikon fit equivalents to these lenses, the 7-14 I would guess could be replaced by a Sigma 10-20 and the 45mm with a Nikon 50 f1.8 or 1.4 but what would be a decent fought equivalent to the 100-300 lens?

Again 25mm could be replaced by the Nikon 35mm although i appreciate it's not as fast as the Panasonic lens.

I love the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 for my D7000, its fast and sharp as a razor, worth the extra money over the sigma for me. I generally only carry it along with the 35mm 1.8, which is awesome for the money and in that focal length range, you're looking at a pro lens that costs £1500+ to beat the quality and speed.

I've had the Sigma 30 1.4 on Canon and it was a lovely lens, but is it worth twice the price of the Nikon 35mm? I doubt it

Hey folks looking for a little advice on Nikon lenses, currently I've been through a few compact system cameras (sold an Olympus EP2 and got a Fuji X-Pro 1 and then back to an Olympus OM-D) however I've been finding myself shooting subjects that are probably better suited to a DSLR rather than CSC and I've been looking at the d7000 partly as I know it's meant to be a cracker of a camera and partly as I very nearly bought one before the Olympus OMD.

My current lens lineup is as such:

Panasonic 7-14mm f4
Panasonic 25mm f1.4
Olympus 45mm f1.8
Panasonic 100-300 f4-5.6

Basically I'm wondering what would be decent Nikon fit equivalents to these lenses, the 7-14 I would guess could be replaced by a Sigma 10-20 and the 45mm with a Nikon 50 f1.8 or 1.4 but what would be a decent fought equivalent to the 100-300 lens?

Again 25mm could be replaced by the Nikon 35mm although i appreciate it's not as fast as the Panasonic lens.

Comedy - were we separated at birth Chris :help::help::help: ????

Comedy - were we separated at birth Chris :help::help::help: ????

Lol, its more of a thought really than something I'd actually do but with a lot of what I've been shooting the size/weight issue isn't as much of an issue as it has been before, particularly since buying a car again.

I can see the case for having both a DSLR and a smaller kit for when you want it / need it without the bulk.

Spent the last couple of hours trying to fine tune my Nikon 50mm 1.4G AFS...to no success...I can barely see any difference in focus at f1.4 between +20 and -20! Maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

Argh!

Don't think so - bought 2nd hand from MPB Photographic a couple of months ago. It's not REALLY out of focus, and any shots taken in Live View are razor sharp! I just can't help but feel shots on my 1.4 prime aren't what they could be.

any shots taken in Live View are razor sharp!

i may be speaking double dutch but i thought live view uses a different focus system (contrast as oppsoed to phase) to through the viewfinder. from what i have read the back focusing issues that the d7000 suffers with are sometimes so bad that the micro adjust cannot compensate and the body needed to go in to nikon for adjustment.

what are your other lenses like?
have you used a focus chart to test against?

Spent the last couple of hours trying to fine tune my Nikon 50mm 1.4G AFS...to no success...I can barely see any difference in focus at f1.4 between +20 and -20! Maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

Argh!

I spent the better part of two years doing the same! And after 3 (yes! THREE!) returns back to Nikon, I finally gave up with the damn lens and got the Sigma 50mm 1.4 instead. I now wonder why I didn't do it sooner!

However, a buddy has a Nikon 1.4 and it's fantastic - I think I had a bad copy of the lens, and Nikon were unable to put it right, thank goodness the dealer I bought it from were really good and took it back :)

Im going to be looking a 50mm 1.8 soon. Can't say I'm not nervous about the issues that some get with primes.

I don't understand why the d7000 price keeps on dropping, when the 7d keeps staying just over 1k - wonder if the focus issues and the over exposing have affected sales?

Im going to be looking a 50mm 1.8 soon. Can't say I'm not nervous about the issues that some get with primes.

What issue with primes? I mean focus can be off on all lenses, and/or bodies, or lenses just have incompatible firmware in them...It could be all sorts to be honest..I use lots of primes on my D7000 and they are absolutely fine...

What issue with primes? I mean focus can be off on all lenses, and/or bodies, or lenses just have incompatible firmware in them...It could be all sorts to be honest..I use lots of primes on my D7000 and they are absolutely fine...

I never had any problems with any of my lenses? I do however think I could find some if i really tried :cautious:

I never had any problems with any of my lenses? I do however think I could find some if i really tried :cautious:

lol yes I know what you mean, i've gone around the houses with adjusting the fine tuning to just go back to the start :D but i've had two lenses that were problematic, one was brand new and i just returned it, the second copy did exactly the same thing so i just gave up on it. And another was sorted via a free of charge trip to its japanese factory....

I read that the focusing issue was more prominet in prime lenses.

Of course it doesn't mean it's true. I only said I was a bit nervous about it.

I don't understand why the d7000 price keeps on dropping, when the 7d keeps staying just over 1k - wonder if the focus issues and the over exposing have affected sales?

Could it be due for replacement? I know Nikon do leave decent gaps between models but it was late 2010 the D7000 was released? D8000 soon?.....

Bilko said:
I read that the focusing issue was more prominet in prime lenses.

Of course it doesn't mean it's true. I only said I was a bit nervous about it.

Fair enough, but you there is no need to be nervous about it. If a lens or body is off it will be off, it happens. When it does you can either get it fixed or swap it for another. These things happen but like with anything in the Internet, some people, not saying you, rather moan and write on every board they know instead of actually what any same person does when their high precision equipment is out get it calibrated or serviced. Yes shock horror photography equipment does need servicing and calibration :)

bl0at3r said:

chrism_scotland said:
Could it be due for replacement? I know Nikon do leave decent gaps between models but it was late 2010 the D7000 was released? D8000 soon?.....

Yes I would guess so, an also the 7D was much more expensive originally. The d7000 has dropped recently but less than £125 since I bought it 1.5 years ago which is not too bad I think.

The D7000's nominally a 60D competitor, not 7D. So that's what it'll be priced against.

Folks, can anyone tell me is the D7000 weather resistant?

"Resistant", yes.

But so's a D3100.

chrism_scotland said:
Nikon unfortunately leaves this down to semantics. Yes, it's weather resistant. No, it's not weather sealed like the pro bodies. No, I have no idea to what extent it is sealed. No, mine hasn't leaked so far. Yes, I avoid shooting in rain generally :)

chrism_scotland said:
Can I just ask as well guys, how do you find the low light performance of the D7000?
Well, I'm no expert, but I found it stunning... And also the main reason why I'll not be dropping my Nikon gear for m43, even though I love the smaller kit :)

chrism_scotland said:

I've had mine out in fairly heavy rain a few times with no problems,but you can get cheap plastic bag type rain sleeves for a few pounds to be extra sure!

Well, I'm no expert, but I found it stunning... And also the main reason why I'll not be dropping my Nikon gear for m43, even though I love the smaller kit :)

Thanks again Ron, been looking at some impressive results on Flickr actually, I do love having smaller kit but I'm at a point where I'd like to have a DSLR for most stuff and then maybe something like the X100 for in my pocket, the Nikon line is looking good to me at the moment.

I've had mine out in fairly heavy rain a few times with no problems,but you can get cheap plastic bag type rain sleeves for a few pounds to be extra sure!

Thanks Simon, as long as it'll withstand a bit of rain I don't mind, I've been finding I'm not venturing out as much due to the dire weather, I can always easily cover up a lens but need to be able to see the camera to shoot so a body that can take a bit of rain would be helpful.

I know the Pentax K5 and Sony A77 are weather resistant but there is only 1 Sony lens which is also WR (the 16-50) and while there are a lot of Pentax WR lenses none of them really scrams out "buy me!)

chrism_scotland said:
Thanks Simon, as long as it'll withstand a bit of rain I don't mind, I've been finding I'm not venturing out as much due to the dire weather, I can always easily cover up a lens but need to be able to see the camera to shoot so a body that can take a bit of rain would be helpful.

I know the Pentax K5 and Sony A77 are weather resistant but there is only 1 Sony lens which is also WR (the 16-50) and while there are a lot of Pentax WR lenses none of them really scrams out "buy me!)

I just keep a shammy leather in my bag to wipe off the excess wet,an tuck it in my jacket when not shooting,It's not fully weather sealed like a pro body but has enough to keep it safe in the odd shower or two!

Back