Nikon D7xxx owners thread

chrism_scotland said:
Thanks again Simon!

Ok folks, if you could bear with me while I ask some likely easy questions!

D7000 Body only or 18-105 VR Kit, is the kit lens worth having?

Body only the D7000 needs decent glass to get the best results!
Use the cash towards a lens you want!
My 2p's worth others may disagree!

Body only here too, its ok, but don't think that the 18-105 is the best and it is not very fast either at the long end.

Plus it can be had for around 200 quid on its own so it's not even like you get it cheaper if you buy in the kit because the kit is about 200 quid more than the body only - not like the gx1 for example where the 14-42 kit is only 50 quid dearer than body only.

17-55 2.8 is the best crop Nikon lens but it is 1k :thumbsdown:

Thanks again Simon!

Ok folks, if you could bear with me while I ask some likely easy questions!

Body only here too, its ok, but don't think that the 18-105 is the best and it is not very fast either at the long end.

Plus it can be had for around 200 quid on its own so it's not even like you get it cheaper if you buy in the kit because the kit is about 200 quid more than the body only - not like the gx1 for example where the 14-42 kit is only 50 quid dearer than body only.

17-55 2.8 is the best crop Nikon lens but it is 1k :thumbsdown:

I've used the 18-105 with the D7000, with the image quality you get you may as well use a D3100...

Get the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non VC. It works well on the D7000. It glues on my D7000 most of the time now for walkaround, holiday and backup. I rather use the tamron then my heavy nikon 28-70 f2.8 for non pay stuff.

Is the Tamron 17_50 better than the Sigma equivalent? Planning to order the Nikon 35 f1.8 and 50 f1.8

I tried the sigma in the shop and also the VC version of the tamron but walked away with the tamron non vc version, purely because of the sharpness and also the focus speed feels faster on my d7000 than the VC version.

I also owned the 35 and 50 f1.8 prime but i personally would get the 35mm first and see how it goes. 50mm on crop sensor is not really my cup of tea for walk around but portrait work it does the job. I use the 35mm more than the 50.

Thanks for the help guys, also looking for reccomendation on 2 other lenses a wide angle and a telephoto of some kind.

WA I guess the balance in quality and price, probably avoid the Nikon ones as they look pricey, always liked the look of the Tokina 11-16 though...

As for a telephoto, I've been using a 100-300 f4-5.6 on an OMD, but I think I'd get away with a 70-300 roughly on a crop body, any recommendations that aren't £1,000,000? lol

Thanks for the help guys, also looking for reccomendation on 2 other lenses a wide angle and a telephoto of some kind.

WA I guess the balance in quality and price, probably avoid the Nikon ones as they look pricey, always liked the look of the Tokina 11-16 though...

As for a telephoto, I've been using a 100-300 f4-5.6 on an OMD, but I think I'd get away with a 70-300 roughly on a crop body, any recommendations that aren't £1,000,000? lol

so is this instead or as well as the om-d chris?

so is this instead or as well as the om-d chris?

Not sure yet to be honest mate, I would like to keep both but if I'm honest I'll probably sell on the OMD and pickup a cheaper G2/G3 or even an older Pen (EP2 perhaps) as I can't really justify both if I'm honest!

Lol, I'm intending on throwing myself much more into my photography and I feel that a DSLR will do some things better as I think many EM5 owners would agree its a cracking camera but it does have its limitations.

I'm also keen to be able to tap into the frankly huge market for used gear, the Nikon classifieds here is always very busy!!

What will your choice be for a walkabout lens on a dx body? or will you stick a 35mm prime on it mainly?

my walkaround lens will be the Nikon 35mm f1.8 AFS and Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non VC.

I leave all my heavy lens at home if is holiday/walkaround i.e nikon 28-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8

Ordered the 35mm f1.8 and 50 f1.8 with it but might return the 50.

Might go all prime to be honest (aside from 11-16 and probably a 70-300)

have had both now just the 35mm. great focal length for landscape and general walkabout.

Just got my D7000 after a year without an SLR, previously had 18-200VR & Sigma 10-20mm which I sold :crying:. Bought the D7000 with 35mm thinking it would be an interim lens but I love it, much prefer it a 50mm f1.8 I borrowed occasionally.

Was thinking what to get next - 18-200VR or 70-300VR. Used to have the 18-200 and barely used anything else.....

Last edited:
I know its not far off the "classic" 50mm FOV with the crop factor and its a view I really like, for the price it was frankly a steal.

Can anyone tell me if the 70-300 VR is a decent lens? Seem to be done in some of the kits with the D7000?

the 70-300vr is a cracking lens imo

Get the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non VC. It works well on the D7000. It glues on my D7000 most of the time now for walkaround, holiday and backup. I rather use the tamron then my heavy nikon 28-70 f2.8 for non pay stuff.

Just started using this set up myself... got hold of the 17-50 non VC for £180 off eBay...

Oh and I guess to answer your question, aviation and motorsport is what I expect it to do better, I also think the low light performance will be improved over the OMD and certainly shots I've seen of the D7000 are very impressive in those kind of conditions, was a close run thing between the D7000 and K5

Oh and I guess to answer your question, aviation and motorsport is what I expect it to do better, I also think the low light performance will be improved over the OMD and certainly shots I've seen of the D7000 are very impressive in those kind of conditions, was a close run thing between the D7000 and K5

congrats - looking forward to seeing some of your shots

i'm still in decision mode - not ready to click buy just yet (y)

I've noticed a couple of posts regarding Noise... Just as an example, here's a photo of mine from Saturday evening...

http://500px.com/photo/11260625

ISO: 2000! Yes, 2000.
f4.5
1/320 sec exposure.

And a 100% crop...

upload pictures

So yeah, in that respect, I'd say the D7000 is a pretty decent bit of kit!

Last edited by a moderator:
The nikon 35mm f1.8 AFS is a cracking lens and very value for money as well. If you need that extra f for DOF etc then yeah the f1.4 lens is good but if you don't need the 1.4 then i don't see why you don't buy the 35mm f1.8 AFS.

Back