Nikon D7xxx owners thread

I have seen both in a magazine and online that you can change the Info Display to "Graphic". However, checking my D7000 and David Busch's comprehensive book suggests you can't. Are these sources cutting and pasting from older models or do I need to unlock something? Help please?

RalphC said:
I have seen both in a magazine and online that you can change the Info Display to "Graphic". However, checking my D7000 and David Busch's comprehensive book suggests you can't. Are these sources cutting and pasting from older models or do I need to unlock something? Help please?

What do you expect to see in graphic mode? I've never come across the term but got to admit I hardly ever use the info display.

dejongj said:
What do you expect to see in graphic mode? I've never come across the term but got to admit I hardly ever use the info display.

I think like on the old D40 and maybe even the D3200 the screen had a graphic representation of the aperture open or closed depending on settings - f2.8 large hole, f32 small hole etc.

With all the D600 and D800 talk, I think the thread could do with some pictures from the camera that really started showing what high sensor dynamic range could do. :D

4.jpg

Toledo is probably the most beautiful city I've visited so far.

4.jpg

She was raging at the X100's focusing (in)ability. That camera is seriously close to being perfect for me (the RX1 edges even closer, all it needs is effective PDAF, and maybe a 24mm f/2 :D ).

4.jpg

4.jpg

Impromptu 3am guitar performances in a bar are just my thing.

I agree. I'm ashamed to say I've just got rid of my D7000 for a D800.. but don't burn me at the stake.. just yet.

I just want to add that in my opinion the D7000 is the DSLR bargain to get right now. I had mine from when it was first released and I loved it.

The dynamic range, as stated above, was outstanding. AF was brilliant, and it's small size and weight was a welcome addition (or subtraction) from my bag.

This camera could turn in some amazing results.

ausemmao said:
With all the D600 and D800 talk, I think the thread could do with some pictures from the camera that really started showing what high sensor dynamic range could do. :D

Toledo is probably the most beautiful city I've visited so far.

She was raging at the X100's focusing (in)ability. That camera is seriously close to being perfect for me (the RX1 edges even closer, all it needs is effective PDAF, and maybe a 24mm f/2 :D ).

Impromptu 3am guitar performances in a bar are just my thing.

What lens did you use ?

Allow me to demonstrate why I think the D7000 is the SLR bargain of the moment.

Click Images For Full Res

Let's not forget the D7000's video performance too!

[YOUTUBE]sM5uTU8cCBc[/YOUTUBE]

You can pick it up for less than £600 brand new if you shop around too. Brilliant, brilliant camera and if it wasn't for the D800 I;d still have it.

Nope! Just lucked out with the clouds and moonlight. It has been post processed but not dramatically. It's a technique I use with a layer blended monochrome conversion to increase tonal separation.

Thank you :)

Nope! Just lucked out with the clouds and moonlight. It has been post processed but not dramatically. It's a technique I use with a layer blended monochrome conversion to increase tonal separation.

Very interesting result. I might give it a go as I am very impressed (y)

Very interesting result. I might give it a go as I am very impressed (y)

You have to make sure you mono conversion has the tonal separation you want though. Just blending with a straight mono conversion will do nothing except desaturate it.

I'll see what I can do this weekend.

Apols :bonk:- I have OPANDA and sometimes it says no exif when there probably is !! Is there a better prog for seeing exif info ?

well guys I've not posted anything on the forums for ages, I've just got a D7000 this week , I got my camera from Jessop's but had to return the first one as the control LCD backlight would not turn off , got the replacement yesterday but had to return the charger as that was not working , to be fair the guys at jessop's where great and did all they could to sort things out for me so all is ok now. my last camera was a D40x so this camera is a big jump up for me ,played about with it a bit and so far I love it !! . Im looking forward to getting out and taking some shots with it :)

well guys I've not posted anything on the forums for ages, I've just got a D7000 this week , I got my camera from Jessop's but had to return the first one as the control LCD backlight would not turn off ,

That's something you can set in custom menu, so I wonder if it was actually new? Doesn't matter now if it's replaced. It's not the first time I've been sold something not new by Jessops. Every time I buy a new camera now I check the shutter activations in the meta data.

no it was not the setting in the menu as I had that set to off , when I powered up the camera it would turn on but sometimes it would not come on at all the fault seemed to be random , and I forgot to say the camera had taken 391 shots before I got it out the box!
anyway I'm up and running with my new camera now so I'm happy :)

I am struggling to decide what the best lenses for my D7000 are. I currently have 16-85mm,70-300mm and 35mm f.18 but not sure if there best for me.

I want something good for portraits so tempted to get 50mm f1.8 and possibly ditch the 70-300mm as I tend to find the range of the 16-85mm does it for me. But not sure what other good lenses are out there. I fancy having some range upto about 200mm so maybe the 55-200 or I have seen a few older AF-D 180 f2.8 lenses going for a reasonable price.

Most of my photography is landscape or portrait stuff. Well will be portrait once my baby arrives in February.

ian-83 said:
I am struggling to decide what the best lenses for my D7000 are. I currently have 16-85mm,70-300mm and 35mm f.18 but not sure if there best for me.

I want something good for portraits so tempted to get 50mm f1.8 and possibly ditch the 70-300mm as I tend to find the range of the 16-85mm does it for me. But not sure what other good lenses are out there. I fancy having some range upto about 200mm so maybe the 55-200 or I have seen a few older AF-D 180 f2.8 lenses going for a reasonable price.

Most of my photography is landscape or portrait stuff. Well will be portrait once my baby arrives in February.

Not sure about landscape lenses but for portraits go for the 50 f1.8 (nice and cheap) and for the 200 range save the pennies and go for the Nikon 70-200 f2.8. Expensive but you will love it ;)

Yeah was looking at the 50 f1.8 will probably get the AF-S version. All the used one's I have seen seem to be going for not much less than a new one.

AS for 70-200 f2.8 would love a Nikon one but would probably more likely be the Sigma or Tamron version.

Why not sell the 70-300 and get the nikon 80-200 2.8 secondhand for the same sort of money - has everything the 70-200 has bar vr for a fraction of the cost.

Why not sell the 70-300 and get the nikon 80-200 2.8 secondhand for the same sort of money - has everything the 70-200 has bar vr for a fraction of the cost.

Another option I have been looking into.
I am all up in the air at the minute trying to decide what's going to be best for me. I don't want to spend lots on a lens that I rarely use.

I've read that Nikon std sharpness is a bit soft for most tastes. What sharpness setting would you use on the 7000 for vivid pics jpg - and if shooting RAW does it make a difference what setting is used ?

tim_uk said:

Don't underestimate the power of the VR :)
Comes in very handy, these lenses are heavy beasts to be holding steady.

Bit of a noob question from me if anyone would care to offer their advice?

Was out at sunset the other night with my new d7k and took a range of landscape shots using aperture priority and exposure bracketing 3F 2 ev
I had the 18-105 at its widest f11-14 and VR switched off

What I have found is that a lot of the images look a bit soft and not totally in focus and that the bracketed images are not matching great for PP HDR

I was using tripod and live view. The only thing I would say on reflection is the camera did seem to take its time focussing

Any tips for doing this better and getting sharp images would be appreciated. Feeling a bit deflated because so far been really impressed with the camera, but it has been a big step up from me from an old canon s3 :)

Cheers.

siblingchris said:
Bit of a noob question from me if anyone would care to offer their advice?

Was out at sunset the other night with my new d7k and took a range of landscape shots using aperture priority and exposure bracketing 3F 2 ev

What I have found is that a lot of the images look a bit soft and not totally in focus and that the bracketed images are not matching great for PP HDR

I was using tripod and live view. The only thing I would say on reflection is the camera did seem to take its time focussing

Any tips for doing this better and getting sharp images would be appreciated. Feeling a bit deflated because so far been really impressed with the camera, but it has been a big step up from me from an old canon s3 :)

Cheers.

Did you use a remote or delayed shutter?

Cheers.

Just to clarify, if you had the lens set to f11-f14, that is not wide open, that is stopped down. If you stop a lens down too much, an effect called diffraction comes into play, which, confusingly, makes images softer.
Usually, lenses are sharpest 1 or 2 f-stops down from wide open.

Edit added: Just re-read the post, and I realise you meant lens was zoomed to it's widest, I thought you meant aperture was at it's widest (Doh!)
Anyway, the diffraction thing still holds true.

Last edited:
GHP said:
Just to clarify, if you had the lens set to f11-f14, that is not wide open, that is stopped down. If you stop a lens down too much, an effect called diffraction comes into play, which, confusingly, makes images softer.
Usually, lenses are sharpest 1 or 2 f-stops down from wide open.

Edit added: Just re-read the post, and I realise you meant lens was zoomed to it's widest, I thought you meant aperture was at it's widest (Doh!)
Anyway, the diffraction thing still holds true.

Yeah sorry, I meant at wide angle
I thought from what I had read that this lens' sweet spot for sharpness was f8-f11 at the wide end, f14 isn't that far away and I did some at f11 also
I have not gone through every image in detail yet however

Oh and thanks for the quick responses everyone :)

siblingchris said:
Good point.....no
Tripod seemed rock steady to me and was actually on rock! But I guess this could have been a factor

Maybe it seemed rock steady but did you touch the camera to take a shot?! My cheapo remote from amazon works just as well as my nikon one. Great investment!

Back