Nikon D7xxx owners thread

I have just ordered by D7000 from Panamoz. It will replace my D3100, which I will sell with the kit lens. At first it will be married up to my 35mm 1.8 and a 55-300, but I aim to get the Tamron 17-50 (assuming I can find one at the right price) or a Sigma if I find an absolute bargain. Long term aim - replace the 55-300 as it is too slow to AF.

I am like a kid at Christmas waiting for it to arrive.

I was the same waiting on mine from Panamoz. Now it's on the way back and I'm going to be camera-less for a couple of weeks. Major back focus issues. Hope yours is better when you get it. I'm so disappointed in Nikon right now.

This focusing issue sound like a pain in the arse, I'll be pretty annoyed if mine has issues. Need to do some more reading on what's involved before I take the plunge.

I was the same waiting on mine from Panamoz. Now it's on the way back and I'm going to be camera-less for a couple of weeks. Major back focus issues. Hope yours is better when you get it. I'm so disappointed in Nikon right now.

I have a focus chart printed already. Sorry to hear about your problems, please give an update so we can all learn.

I have a focus chart printed already. Sorry to hear about your problems, please give an update so we can all learn.

I checked mine with 5 different lens and adjusting the in camera micro adjustment to -20 which is as far as it goes helped them a bit but it would still need further adjustment. I have to send it back to a London address for Panamoz for them to "test" it. Unless they do what I did they will find nothing wrong and I will end up with it back again.

Milkfloat said:

Do yourself a favour and shoot normally first. If you start looking for trouble you'll find it. But if you must do it properly wide open, plenty of light high shutter speed and at either extreme when using a zoom lens v

Hi guys. My D7000 has chronic back focus issues. Was shooting last night with the Nikkor 85mm f1.8 and Sigma 50mm 1.4 and out of over 200 shots I have 4 usable ones. I can't print out a calibration sheet because my printer is up the Swanee. Is there such a thing as an onscreen utility that can help in fine tuning the af? Cheers.

Hi guys. My D7000 has chronic back focus issues. Was shooting last night with the Nikkor 85mm f1.8 and Sigma 50mm 1.4 and out of over 200 shots I have 4 usable ones. I can't print out a calibration sheet because my printer is up the Swanee. Is there such a thing as an onscreen utility that can help in fine tuning the af? Cheers.

Don't know if this will help... http://www.komar.org/faq/camera/auto-focus-test/

Tried something similar with my D7000 a while ago out of curiosity. Fortunately, I don't seem to have any issues with focus (touch wood).

Last edited:
Most annoyed with Jessops again!

I made my online reservation for the 35mm 1.8 on Friday morning, it should have been available for pickup any time from 10am. It's now Sunday morning and I have received nothing from Jessops to say my order is ready for collection. I tried calling the store all day yesterday and it just rang and rang.

The world doesn't want me to have nice things.

At the most simplest way, point you camera in manual wide open aperture high shutter speed, low iso, thus plenty of light, to one key on your keyboard. I like picking the J. In AF-S and the focus planted on the letter inscription. Then move it from there until that letter is in focus. Not perfect but it helps for a quick and dirty as it is easy to create a small dog and thus nail the focus.

I tried the a fundamental auto focus test using 3 batteries, focusing on the middle one with my 18-105 kit lens. The picture came out with the 3rd battery in focus. Changed the adjustment to -20 and the middle battery is in focus.

Might explain the soft, out of focus shots I seem to be getting all too regularly compared to my old D5000 which I found pretty faultless in comparison. The D7000 just seems a pain to use at the moment :(

This pic is without any adjustment, focused on the top of the middle battery

Last edited:
Don't know if this will help... http://www.komar.org/faq/camera/auto-focus-test/

Tried something similar with my D7000 a while ago out of curiosity. Fortunately, I don't seem to have any issues with focus (touch wood).

At the most simplest way, point you camera in manual wide open aperture high shutter speed, low iso, thus plenty of light, to one key on your keyboard. I like picking the J. In AF-S and the focus planted on the letter inscription. Then move it from there until that letter is in focus. Not perfect but it helps for a quick and dirty as it is easy to create a small dog and thus nail the focus.

I tried the a fundamental auto focus test using 3 batteries, focusing on the middle one with my 18-105 kit lens. The picture came out with the 3rd battery in focus. Changed the adjustment to -20 and the middle battery is in focus.

Might explain the soft, out of focus shots I seem to be getting all too regularly compared to my old D5000 which I found pretty faultless in comparison. The D7000 just seems a pain to use at the moment :(

This pic is without any adjustment, focused on the top of the middle battery

Cheers for your help guys (y)

Your other option would be to open focus chart on an iPad, and use iPad as a piece of paper (revolutionary).

Send your D7k back to Nikon, free and easy. They are very helpful and it came back within a week..now it is pin sharp on my 85mm 1.8d and 35mm 1.8g.

Your other option would be to open focus chart on an iPad, and use iPad as a piece of paper (revolutionary).

Send your D7k back to Nikon, free and easy. They are very helpful and it came back within a week..now it is pin sharp on my 85mm 1.8d and 35mm 1.8g.

Good idea! And we are talking Nikon España. Nothing works that fast out here!

HWest said:
How prevalent is this focussing issue? Is it just a recent batch, or only grey imports or what? I'd never even heard of it until it started cropping up in this thread relatively recently. The only reason I ask is that I was intending to splash out on a D7000 and just wondering how much of a gamble it is at the moment.

It's one of those things that crops up every now and then but it does seem to be a problem with the D7000. Had mine recalibrated and its bang on now.
I don't think you'll have any luck at all sending a grey import to Nikon UK for calibration - they won't touch it with a barge pole!

People do tend to flock to forums and report about their bad experiences more so than their good. Some will absolutely have problems and many more won't. Part of the situation is that I think having AF Tune on it makes it worse as some people do go looking for it. And especially combined with wide open apertures for every shot that seems to be fashion it may get a bit disproportionately represented.

Ultimately if you aren't happy with it, you can always send it to Nikon for a free calibration to get peace of mind. The rest will be down to technique :)

i recently upgraded from the d3200 to the d7000, settings feel everything of the camera is a set up from my d3200, but i also cant help thinking its soft,
maybe im just looking for it with the downgrade on pixels,

im going to use ti for a week or so and if still not happy think il either send it back and get a brand new one
or send it back to nikon for repair, just unsure on the 2 which to do

Kieran - find somewhere bright, stick it on a tripod, aim it at a static object and use the shutter delay and fire off some test shots and see how it looks.

This keeps on coming up time and time again!:shrug:

D7000 focus issues,99% are user error or people looking for problems!

I wonder if focus adjust wasn't availble how many would be looking to adjust focus?:thinking:

DBT85 said:
Most annoyed with Jessops again!

I made my online reservation for the 35mm 1.8 on Friday morning, it should have been available for pickup any time from 10am. It's now Sunday morning and I have received nothing from Jessops to say my order is ready for collection. I tried calling the store all day yesterday and it just rang and rang.

The world doesn't want me to have nice things.

I had this but I failed to notice the date was a week later but they did text me and e-mail me

Checked my focus last night after reading all these people having problems and with my 16-85 and 35mm I don't seem to have any issues but then I am not pixel peeping but it seems to focus where I set the focus and come out ok.

This keeps on coming up time and time again!:shrug:

D7000 focus issues,99% are user error or people looking for problems!

I wonder if focus adjust wasn't availble how many would be looking to adjust focus?:thinking:

think that's a bit unfair. My body us now in fir calibration but definately out. At -20 and still not perfect, no where left to go. Yes, it is marginal differences but using an 85mm wide open on a bride and the point in focus is her ear, not eye, it needs fixed.
What annoys me is when people want it calibrated simply because they have to use focus adjust. I have no issue using it but do like a little room to manouvre.
Will see how it comes back.

think that's a bit unfair. My body us now in fir calibration but definately out. At -20 and still not perfect, no where left to go. Yes, it is marginal differences but using an 85mm wide open on a bride and the point in focus is her ear, not eye, it needs fixed.
What annoys me is when people want it calibrated simply because they have to use focus adjust. I have no issue using it but do like a little room to manouvre.
Will see how it comes back.

Maybe it is,just think that everyone that have had issues has made a point of it where very few that have no issues don't bother!
Nature of internet forums i guess!
I wonder what percentage of bodies have had issues and how this compares to any other camera model.
People reading this thread could be easily put off buying a D7000 by the amount of focus issue posts!

Nikon have asked me to do a test. They sent me a link. I did the test as they asked, and it only confirmed the back focus issue. It's being sent to them tonight.

Hello, been following the price of the d7000 for quite some time now, it's looking tempting to buy soon...but what's the likelyhood of any replacement in the next couple of months? And any more price drops.

Got my <3 set on a d7k though :) and look forward to joining the club!

Cheapest I've seen is £629 from Amazon.co.uk

I think a new model is coming, not sure when though

~*~ElmoHolz~*~ said:
Hello, been following the price of the d7000 for quite some time now, it's looking tempting to buy soon...but what's the likelyhood of any replacement in the next couple of months? And any more price drops.

Got my <3 set on a d7k though :) and look forward to joining the club!

It's rumoured the d7000 replacement will be announce soon, probably for February/March. The d800 was released end of march last year and announced just before that.

If you look at the nikon line up its now the oldest model (along with d300s). Last year we had D4, D800, D600, D3200 and D5200. The interesting thing is whether the D7000 and D300s will be made into one model or whether they produce 2 replacements. I'm guessing there will one model released as then there would be 3 dx models and 3 full frame models, the number sequence then would make much more sense too.

I'm waiting on seeing what happens, I was thinking of getting another d7000 as a 2nd body as the prices are good, especially 2nd hand. The prices have come down and the d7000 is a great camera. The iso performance is great, I've found I'm now happy pushing the iso to 2000. I've been very happy with the d7000 since I got sept 2011.

Last edited:
Maybe it is,just think that everyone that have had issues has made a point of it where very few that have no issues don't bother!
Nature of internet forums i guess!
I wonder what percentage of bodies have had issues and how this compares to any other camera model.
People reading this thread could be easily put off buying a D7000 by the amount of focus issue posts!

Definately is the nature of the net. People always advertise the negatives, less so the positives. It is a great body, well worth the cost of a calibration (if required), something we used to always do anyway, send body and all lenses for calibration together.
Some of the tolerance will be in the body, some in the lens. Interestingly, my screw drive d lens is way less off than the ultrasonic driven focus lenses.

It's rumoured the d7000 replacement will be announce soon, probably for February/March. The d800 was released end of march last year and announced just before that.

If you look at the nikon line up its now the oldest model (along with d300s). Last year we had D4, D800, D600, D3200 and D5200. The interesting thing is whether the D7000 and D300s will be made into one model or whether they produce 2 replacements. I'm guessing there will one model released as then there would be 3 dx models and 3 full frame models, the number sequence then would make much more sense too.

I'm waiting on seeing what happens, I was thinking of getting another d7000 as a 2nd body as the prices are good, especially 2nd hand. The prices have come down and the d7000 is a great camera. The iso performance is great, I've found I'm now happy pushing the iso to 2000. I've been very happy with the d7000 since I got sept 2011.

I think I might just take a plunge and go for the d7000, as you say the prices are looking good. It would be a significant upgrade for me from the d80 anyway, even if the d7k isn't the newest in Nikon's lineup I will certainly appreciate the better iso performance, and improved features. That way more money towards a better lens too.

Be interesting to see how they'll incorporate the two bodies (d7k/d300s).

Can you share the link ?

Of course, it's here.

Their email said "Please check the below article, you can find there few sample pictures how to test the camera. You don't have to set the AF fine tune, just take few pictures as show on the sample and submit to this incident."

Of course, it's here.

Their email said "Please check the below article, you can find there few sample pictures how to test the camera. You don't have to set the AF fine tune, just take few pictures as show on the sample and submit to this incident."

A few good points there that aren't always brought up by people offering advice on testing lens AF!

At least if you test as Nikon advise you can be pretty certain whether you have a problem or not!

I think I might just take a plunge and go for the d7000, as you say the prices are looking good. It would be a significant upgrade for me from the d80 anyway, even if the d7k isn't the newest in Nikon's lineup I will certainly appreciate the better iso performance, and improved features. That way more money towards a better lens too.

Be interesting to see how they'll incorporate the two bodies (d7k/d300s).

I did, it made financial sense to me. The replacement will cost at least double the current D7000 price, which must be at rock bottom now, by most estimates and probably won't offer a huge amount more for than a 24MP sensor, and maybe a stop of ISO. While a bigger buffer and a FPS or two would be nice I can't see that happening unless the D300s and D7000 theory is true, in which case I would place money on more like 3x the current price.

I've decided, going to get the D7000 as I have just bought the Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 :)
Just waiting for my local Currys/PC World to get stock.

Riz :)

Bought my second lens in 2 weeks today with no camera body to put either on :thinking:!!
Getting excited now, my D7000 has left HK!

I bought a 35mm G prime today as I loved my manual 35mm prime I had on my D3100.

The 35 was £144 from Jessops before £20 cashback so I was happy with that (y). All the staff were a bit scared to put it through on their ID cards as they thought they'd get in trouble for price matching their own company. They did it though. Bit mad i bought a pouch for the lens as I didn't realise it came with one (albeit not as protective as the Lowepro i bought).

I also bought the Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC last week. I was so close to buying the 18-270 (??) as an all-rounder for holidays but plumped for the 17-50 after lots of deliberation. 5 yr warranty from Tamron as well. Roll on Friday when my D7000 hopefully comes(y)(y)

maninsuitcase said:
I did, it made financial sense to me. The replacement will cost at least double the current D7000 price, which must be at rock bottom now, by most estimates and probably won't offer a huge amount more for than a 24MP sensor, and maybe a stop of ISO. While a bigger buffer and a FPS or two would be nice I can't see that happening unless the D300s and D7000 theory is true, in which case I would place money on more like 3x the current price.

Your right about prices, RRP is daft as within six months they drop so much. Just look at the d800 price drop. The d7000 would probably be lower by now if it wasn't for the supply issues caused by the Thailand floods Nov/Dec 2011. The price shot up from £800 to over £1000 at that point.

It is a great camera and still will be when the new model is released, its a camera many won't grow out of. A d7000 is where the sensible money can buy what is still nikons best dx format camera. If you can find a excellent condition low shutter 2nd hand model the money is even better.

Got mine just before Xmas....banned by the missus from using it untill santa had paid official visit. Read through this thread avidly when I knew it was on the way, despite concerns I've had no focus issues with it that were not my own fault.

Bought my second lens in 2 weeks today with no camera body to put either on :thinking:!!
Getting excited now, my D7000 has left HK!

I bought a 35mm G prime today as I loved my manual 35mm prime I had on my D3100.

The 35 was £144 from Jessops before £20 cashback so I was happy with that (y). All the staff were a bit scared to put it through on their ID cards as they thought they'd get in trouble for price matching their own company. They did it though. Bit mad i bought a pouch for the lens as I didn't realise it came with one (albeit not as protective as the Lowepro i bought).

I also bought the Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC last week. I was so close to buying the 18-270 (??) as an all-rounder for holidays but plumped for the 17-50 after lots of deliberation. 5 yr warranty from Tamron as well. Roll on Friday when my D7000 hopefully comes(y)(y)

w00t. Honestly, i'm so close to pulling the trigger now. it's my birthday in Feb, so i'll probably use monies acquired then to purchase. Kinda want it now though, but I've got so many other things to pay for... :bonk:

Back