Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Hello,
I've just bought a D7000 and moving from canon, I will need some time to get used with the camera. Any advice regarding the settings is more than appreciated.
I have a dumb question for the moment. When I press the shutter button and release it, I have to wait for about 10 seconds after I hear the click and the picture if finally taken. This was in both auto and aperture mode. Any idea what I need to change?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hello,
I've just bought a D7000 and moving from canon, I will need some time to get used with the camera. Any advice regarding the settings is more than appreciated.
I have a dumb question for the moment. When I press the shutter button and release it, I have to wait for about 10 seconds after I hear the click and the picture if finally taken. This was in both auto and aperture mode. Any idea what I need to change?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Have you got the dial under the exposure mode set to timer?
It will have S,CL,CH and a picture like a clock (self timer) and a picture of a remote!
You need it on S,CL, or CH to take a pic instantly unless using the remote!

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks a lot in advance.

Have a hunt around on youtube for D7000 videos. There are several out there that will help you understand the myriad of buttons and what they do. As Simon said in this case you have the "Release Mode Dial" set to timer rather than S, Cl or Ch. To change that dial you need to hold down the little pin. It can be fiddly but I use my thumb on the pin and then left index to spin the dial.

If you don't have a copy of the manual here is the PDF - D7000 PDF

Jarod Polin did a couple of videos on all the buttons and what they are for as well as the menus. I find his videos quite helpful but the way he says his site name (froknowsphoto.com) gets on my norks. As you are not new to DSLRs some bits might be a bit obvious for you but you don't know till you watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bZ0z5nRxkw - Video 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qx3XyiWYyc - Viedo 2

So what is and why?

He said "if not the best" not "it's not the best".

He believes the D7000 may be the best DX camera out there.

Last edited:
That is the one :) what else could it possibly have been ;)

Hello,

Thanks a lot in advance.

AS others have said, it will be the release mode dial (or whatever it's called). I had a similar issue last night, pres button theres a click, wait about a min then my 20s exposure would start. I didn't realise I had it in Mirror Up Mode!

Looking to buy a D7k as well, but I can't decide wether to buy now or wait! I'd like to spend around £600 but I don't know if we'll be seeing any sales etc in the new year.

Anyone who bought one recently have any recommendations as to where to purchase...? :)

I had looked at Panamoz, but the lack of a Nikon warranty pretty much put me off. Shame too, cause they have such good prices!!

I'll keep looking for a little longer (my impatience knows no bounds, i'll end up buying it next week, lol). Used ones seem to still be going for £450-£500, don't really see the point.

And yeah, even if it is replaced in Q1, I won't be buying a £1000+ body, i'd rather spend it on new glass!

I find myself in exactly the same boat as you ohms. I can't see the point in spending £530 on a used body wth 8k+ clicks when I gan go new for a few more quid.

I managed to sell my 3100 (y) today and I'm in the market for the D7000. My biggest concern with grey is the focus issue. I'm on 7 nightshifts from tonight (Sunday) and I have an itchy finger when I'm at work where spending is concerned.

I really want to buy the 7k and not the 5200...do I trust it???:thinking:

I'm still looking, but i'll probably have one bought by the end of January. If you're buying grey, surely you'd be just as well buying used? Both will have no warranty, but you'd save money with the used one (if you bought from somewhere like MBP you'd get a 6 month warranty too).

With the amount of issues that can crop up with new things, i'd prefer to have a warranty. That and Nikon are expensive when it comes to repairs!

If you happen to find a decent price mate, feel free to let us all know. I'll keep y'all posted too. I think you know you don't want a 5200....

P.S: *****ing Quintana! That creep can roll man..

Last edited:
You could go a few quid more and get a normal one from Jessops. I paid £639 on Boxing Day for mine.

I think HDEW (grey imports company) do a 3 year warranty too.

Or buy a MACK Warranty :)

I'm still looking, but i'll probably have one bought by the end of January. If you're buying grey, surely you'd be just as well buying used? Both will have no warranty, but you'd save money with the used one (if you bought from somewhere like MBP you'd get a 6 month warranty too).

With the amount of issues that can crop up with new things, i'd prefer to have a warranty. That and Nikon are expensive when it comes to repairs!

If you happen to find a decent price mate, feel free to let us all know. I'll keep y'all posted too. I think you know you don't want a 5200....

P.S: *****ing Quintana! That creep can roll man..

I think you're right really. I can't believe the price of these 2nd hand. On a cheapish lens, I think I'd take the risk on going grey. But, reading about the issues with the focusing, I think I am going to get a UK model. However, I can't justify spending £500+ used when I can get a body for £630. :(

On a side note, I've just called Heathrow T5. They've got body's in stock for£629. That's no better than Jessops...where's the tax-free on that!!?. There's no point in me rushing over the next week now anyway as I'm working nights until next Sunday, but then I've got a week off work! I know I get easily swayed and the money will be burning a big hole in my pocket. If something decent comes up second hand I might jump in, otherwise I'll just go new, UK.

I know I don't want the 5200 for sure now!! My mind is set on the D7k (y)(y)

Walter Sobchak "...Eight years old, Dude!!"
(y)

I wouldn't worry about the issues with focussing...Firstly there are not inherent issues, calibration might be out on some but that just happens and can easily be rectified. Sending it in for a service with Nikon is not that expensive or with one of their approved service centers like Fixation. But a lot of the time, most definitely was for me, it is user error. The D7000 can take a little bit of taming and shows up bad technique very well. Combine that with some not so great glass and it can be very unforgiven. But master your technique and give it good glass and it'll shine.

I wouldn't worry about the issues with focussing...Firstly there are not inherent issues, calibration might be out on some but that just happens and can easily be rectified. Sending it in for a service with Nikon is not that expensive or with one of their approved service centers like Fixation. But a lot of the time, most definitely was for me, it is user error. The D7000 can take a little bit of taming and shows up bad technique very well. Combine that with some not so great glass and it can be very unforgiven. But master your technique and give it good glass and it'll shine.

Agreed,I upgraded from a D3000 and initially was very disapointed with the results but when complaining to a mate who is a full time pro he looked at me and said "it's you not the camera".
Stuck at it with some help and he was spot on!

Thanks very much for that info on Fixation. I have since changed my mind and will be going to Panamoz for sure. Gutted they're closed until 3rd Jan though.

What I save between Panamoz and Jessops (~£80), I'll put aside "just in case". If it doesn't go wrong, then fine, I'll be £80ish up!!

Really? Thought you were set on buying UK!

Well, hope it all goes well mate. I'm hoping something unexpected comes up at CES at the weekend that will lower the price of the D7k. Doubt it'll happen though :LOL:

Really? Thought you were set on buying UK!

Well, hope it all goes well mate. I'm hoping something unexpected comes up at CES at the weekend that will lower the price of the D7k. Doubt it'll happen though :LOL:

:whistle::coat:

...told you it was burning a hole in my pocket!

I sold my D3100 on Saturday and I don't want to start dipping into it. Been there, done that with a car. I ended up with something I didn't really want.

Watch a 7200 come out a week after I buy one!! Oh well.

Last edited:
:whistle::coat:

...told you it was burning a hole in my pocket!

I sold my D3100 on Saturday and I don't want to start dipping into it. Been there, done that with a car. I ended up with something I didn't really want.

Watch a 7200 come out a week after I buy one!! Oh well.

I ordered mine from Panamoz. Unfortunately due to focus problems I am having to send it back. Will be interesting to see how they deal with it. See here http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=456378

Phil

I hope it works out for your Phil...Was that dog you shot done on a tripod? I mean your shutterspeed is very low. Likewise for the dog you shot, again very low shutter speed.

Last edited:
Interested to see how that pans out! Hdew seem to offer a 3yr warranty with their cameras, tempting.

My link delight grip finally arrived today (ordered dec 1st so 1 month delivery). It's a Aputure model which looks similar to the Mieke ones I've seen with the same softer rubber with the finer grain. The dials work the correct way round though are a touch loud, and the tightening wheel isn't too sloppy.

There's a small bit of movement if you try but in general use it's fine. That said I'm not sure I'd trust it with a tripod and I doubt I'll be using my sling strap on it.

Basically I like it so far, not sure how much better the Nikon one is with things like a tripod or a sling however. Would be interested to hear from owners, as that could be enough for me to upgrade at some point.

Absolutely no problem with a sling or tripod on the original nikon one. The build quality is superb with the same as the magnesium body strengthening inside.

Interested to see how that pans out! Hdew seem to offer a 3yr warranty with their cameras, tempting.

I purchased my D7000 from HDEW, very pleased so far apart from the photocopied English manual which is a bit on the small side with a massive staple through the middle. The three year warranty is reassuring - just hope I never have to make a claim! :D

Hi all,

I'm currently a Fuji X100 owner and looking to get either the Nikon D7000 or D300s to compliment this.
Having owned a Nikon D40 and the 18-200mm VR lens I swaying sticking with the Nikon brand rather than going for a Canon (7D).

Is there a significant difference between the D7000 vs 300S?

I'm looking to pair it with the Nikkor 17-55mm F2.8 if I can find one at a decent price, this would be my everyday lens for landscape, portraits etc
I will then get the 55-300mm VR for telephoto.

Does that sound like a good pairing of body & lenses?

Riz :)

Rizvan said:
Hi all,

I'm currently a Fuji X100 owner and looking to get either the Nikon D7000 or D300s to compliment this.
Having owned a Nikon D40 and the 18-200mm VR lens I swaying sticking with the Nikon brand rather than going for a Canon (7D).

I'm looking to pair it with the Nikkor 17-55mm F2.8 if I can find one at a decent price, this would be my everyday lens for landscape, portraits etc

The main differences are the d300s is weather sealed, pro body size and controls layout. The d7000 has a newer sensor and I think better high iso (someone maybe able to give you more info on this).

If you can wait a couple of months the d7000 is rumoured to be updated with a new model soon. I will drop s/h prices a little, probably for both. No one yet knows if the d300s and d7000 are to be merged into one body and be updated separately.

I'm thinking of getting the 17-55mm f2.8 too, it looks a great lens. I would recommend the nikon 70-300 vr to you, great lens that's sharp and brilliant for the money.

Rizvan said:
Hi all,

Not tried it myself but as far as I am aware the 55-300 is supposed to be not as good as the 70-300.
How about the new 70-200 f4 VR? That's rumoured to be good

Not tried it myself but as far as I am aware the 55-300 is supposed to be not as good as the 70-300.
How about the new 70-200 f4 VR? That's rumoured to be good

The 70-300 Vr can be had for fairly reasonable money used too. I wouldn't be looking at the 70-200 f4, it's too expensive right now for what it is.

anyone using the Tamron 17-50 non vc on their D7000?

davep90 said:
anyone using the Tamron 17-50 non vc on their D7000?

Yep and it works a treat.

I have started to do a little paid work now and was considering a Nikon 17-55 for its build quality but for the moment I've decided against it. I fear I may regret selling the Tamron to fund it which has been a great performer for the cash.

Last edited:
Yep and it works a treat.

I have started to do a little paid work now and was considering a Nikon 17-55 for its build quality but for the moment I've decided against it. I fear I may regret selling the Tamron to fund it which has been a great performer for the cash.

(y)(y)

The main differences are the d300s is weather sealed, pro body size and controls layout. The d7000 has a newer sensor and I think better high iso (someone maybe able to give you more info on this).

If you can wait a couple of months the d7000 is rumoured to be updated with a new model soon. I will drop s/h prices a little, probably for both. No one yet knows if the d300s and d7000 are to be merged into one body and be updated separately.

I'm thinking of getting the 17-55mm f2.8 too, it looks a great lens. I would recommend the nikon 70-300 vr to you, great lens that's sharp and brilliant for the money.

The D7000 is also weather "sealed".:) The only benefit I could see of the D300s when I looked at all the options was slightly tougher and bigger/heavier if you need that.

What does everyone use for an intervalometer with this camera? I know there is one built in but I don't understand it and the instructions make no sense either. After the 9 shots the interval needs to be set to as high as possible to get anything useful if you're doing 30 second exposures (seems to count down the time rather than actual shots?). I need something that I can take 100 two minute exposures (for example) which the built in one doesn't appear to do. Am I missing something? This looks very similar to the one I have for my 400D. I'm guessing it will do a better job than the built in one? :LOL:

Last edited:
Amp34 said:
The D7000 is also weather "sealed".:) The only benefit I could see of the D300s when I looked at all the options was slightly tougher and bigger/heavier if you need that.

What does everyone use for an intervalometer with this camera? I know there is one built in but I don't understand it and the instructions make no sense either. After the 9 shots the interval needs to be set to as high as possible to get anything useful if you're doing 30 second exposures (seems to count down the time rather than actual shots?). I need something that I can take 100 two minute exposures (for example) which the built in one doesn't appear to do. Am I missing something? This looks very similar to the one I have for my 400D. I'm guessing it will do a better job than the built in one? :LOL:

Yep that'll work fine for what you want. I have one the same I use for startrails and time lapse.

Just for reference, I generated no interest in the sale of my immaculate, low use, D7000 or my 18-200 VRII in the classifieds section. Even after reducing the price there was still no interest.

It's a great camera, one of the best, and I really don't mind, but maybe it's the time of year or there are better deals out there.

theoldman said:
Just for reference, I generated no interest in the sale of my immaculate, low use, D7000 or my 18-200 VRII in the classifieds section. Even after reducing the price there was still no interest.

It's a great camera, one of the best, and I really don't mind, but maybe it's the time of year or there are better deals out there.

I was tempted by your 18-200 but as you say - time of year:-(

I was tempted by your 18-200 but as you say - time of year:-(

If you get the chance to have one of these, do it. It is a superb lens and thoroughly merits the awards it has had in the last year. Sharp as it can be and so versatile. It's single lens solution for most photo opportunities.

I don't have access to the classifieds yet so I cannot check what you were asking for, but I am looking at about £525 for a new D7000 (grey import). Hopefully this is a good gauge as to the value of yours.

I don't have access to the classifieds yet so I cannot check what you were asking for, but I am looking at about £525 for a new D7000 (grey import). Hopefully this is a good gauge as to the value of yours.

New at Jessops, quoted to me, on my advert in the classifieds section, was £629.

For your reference I advertised mine at £500 as it is mint, looks new, works perfectly, is boxed with all the paperwork etc. This is a proven working model with less than 5000 actuations and the pictures from it are superb.

It doesn't have warranty and this may be an issue, but in 40 years of photography I've never used a warranty yet. Even total catastrophic failure doesn't cost too much (so I've heard).

As stated I don't mind if it doesn't sell; I don't need the money. It will work perfectly for many years to come and I love the final image quality. I just don't need it any more.

Back