Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Thanks for the note of interest :) It's difficult to get the post count up as I'm more of a lurker by nature being an utter beginner to photography, so I try to avoid spouting crap for the sake of it :)

I'm going to keep an eye on what CEX bring in in terms of second hands lens and see if there's anything that takes my fancy.

Excellent, I should have consulted you, only spotted all this talk about focusing :)
I went out yesterday with the 70-300mm VR to take some pictures of horses.
I've got a great deal to learn about the D7000, my last DSLR was the D40 over two years ago.

Riz :)

No problem.
The one thing you may find is that due to the higher pixel count, the D7000 is a little less forgiving of bad technique.
I know a few people who have gone from a D70 to a D7000, only to find the D7000 requires a more disciplined approach to hand holding technique.
Of course, you may not have a problem, most don't.
But a few that do tend to blame the camera instead of looking to themselves.
And of course, the internet is a great place for spreading the bad (minority) rumours !

GHP said:
No problem.
The one thing you may find is that due to the higher pixel count, the D7000 is a little less forgiving of bad technique.
I know a few people who have gone from a D70 to a D7000, only to find the D7000 requires a more disciplined approach to hand holding technique.
And of course, the internet is a great place for spreading the bad (minority) rumours !

Yup, I made that exact move. The d7000 did take taming, it amplified all bad habits.

I found like many I was not supporting my lens, and I was pressing the shutter button too hard. Now those are cured and Nikon fixed my back focus issues within a week for free (whilst cleaning and updating my firmware) and taking the time to re-read and understand the focus selection types - my keeper rate is way up.

No problem.

... And of course some, like mine, do have an issue (confirmed at repair centre, outwith Nikon factory tolerance).
Of course threads like this promote people to look for the issue and Nikon will have mire sent back than they might have had normally but ultimately some do have an issue. If it backfocuses on my expensive tripod then its not my holding technique. If it backfocuses in the studio with strobes givin t0.1 durations less than 1/1000th it is not technique.
If the same camera came back and now focuses perfectly when it was previously at -20 and I have not changed dramatically in the past week then it was not technique.

... And of course some, like mine, do have an issue (confirmed at repair centre, outwith Nikon factory tolerance).
Of course threads like this promote people to look for the issue and Nikon will have mire sent back than they might have had normally but ultimately some do have an issue. If it backfocuses on my expensive tripod then its not my holding technique. If it backfocuses in the studio with strobes givin t0.1 durations less than 1/1000th it is not technique.
If the same camera came back and now focuses perfectly when it was previously at -20 and I have not changed dramatically in the past week then it was not technique.

Absolutely, of course there are some with real problems. And those clearly need to be adjusted back to tolerance.
All I am saying is is that there are more people reporting problems than there are people who report none, because they have nothing to report.
For every 100 people who have no issues, maybe 1 or 2 will post that they have a camera with excellent focus, whereas for every 100 who have a problem, all 100 will report it as a problem, and they make more noise !

My 16-85 VR has turned up today and I have to say that it makes a perfect match for the D7000 in terms of proportions and weight. Really like how it all feels, but might consider swapping the neck strap for an R strap now....

My 16-85 VR has turned up today and I have to say that it makes a perfect match for the D7000 in terms of proportions and weight. Really like how it all feels, but might consider swapping the neck strap for an R strap now....

I use this same combo so well balanced. I use an Optech Pro strap and it makes it feel so light around my neck compared to the standard Nikon strap best £20 ever spent on a camera accessorie.

Any non-AF lenses worth looking at out there? Having had a d3000 and d5000 so far, I never really looked into the older lenses. Wondered if anyone had found any bargains :)

I'm toying with a cheap AF 70-300 nikkor for around 80 pounds, just for the extra length when I need it. Any opinions on whether this is worth attaching to the D7000? Have previously owned a 55-200 on the D3100 and I can't say I was too impressed with the IQ towards the long end.

Any non-AF lenses worth looking at out there? Having had a d3000 and d5000 so far, I never really looked into the older lenses. Wondered if anyone had found any bargains :)

105mm f2.5 absolutely brilliant :)

My 3rd party grip came today with a spare battery. Works a treat (after finding the grip had its own power button!!).

The battery is supposed to be a decoded one, not tried it in the body yet but works in the grip. Can't make my photography lesson tomorrow but roll on Sunday when I'll get to use it. One very happy bunny at the minute.

What kind of grip did you get, Quintana? How much weight does it add to the camera overall?

Ordered my 16-85mm last night, looking forward to using the combination at the weekend.

What kind of grip did you get, Quintana? How much weight does it add to the camera overall?

Mines an aperture one from Link Delight. Quality is okay, not great. There's a small amount of play in the battery tray and the grip does twist a touch, occasionally enough to loose power. Also there no weather sealing at all.

Weight wise it's not heavy, I'd guess about 100-150g, plus a battery if you use 2 (I don't, just 1 in the grip).

I will get a Nikon one at some point for the better build quality and weather sealing. It's metal not plastic so this will add a bit more weight.

Ordered my 16-85mm last night, looking forward to using the combination at the weekend.

I'll be interested to hear how you both get on with this lens, it's at the top of shopping list at the moment. Feel free to add some pictures ;)

Hi Ohms.

Pictures below. The spare battery adds 70g and the grip adds 193g so a total of 263g.

It's got real nice OEM looking rubber grip. It isn't squeeky creeky or anything. I love it.

Oh, I can confirm the 3rd party battery DOES work in the camera alone. I've just took the grip off to weigh it and I thought I'd try the battery on its own (y)

Very quick photos below:

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg
DSC_0138.jpg

Considering the grip AND battery was £42.97 delivered compared to £229.99 grip only (Park Cameras) and £60 for an EN-EL15 (Park Cameras) I thought it was a bargain. I don't know how good the OEM stuff is but for a £230+ saving, I can live with the differences. It does look very good quality. Oh, and I'm not knocking Park, it's the first shop I thought of looking for OEM stuff.

Grip and body (crappy iPhone pic)
9DEC2302-3626-4848-AD46-A360F83272AA-2041-000001A77C0ADA76.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, £43?! That's quite superb! Might take a look at that - where did you get that from?

Might have to wait, still need to buy an actual D7000. Got a 35mm 1.8 arriving tomorrow though. I also need to get my 18-200 fixed, there's a crack in it.. :shake: linky!

Last edited:
I have just bought a grip in the classifieds for 95 inc delivery. There is another one listed. Why buy inferior when a second hand Nikon is only a pizza and bottle of wine more?

I have just bought a grip in the classifieds for 95 inc delivery. There is another one listed. Why buy inferior when a second hand Nikon is only a pizza and bottle of wine more?

Fair point. However, I've not long had access to the classifieds on here and didn't when I was looking (y).

In the last 4 weeks, I've also bought 2 lenses @ £600+, a D7000 body @£530, just got back from Vietnam and forked out for Vegas later in the year!! I've also got the small matter if going to Cuba in 58 days and I want 3 boxes of Montecristo No.2's!!!
I've not seen the real thing up close but I'd be willing to bet mine gives it a serious run for its money!

Anyway, with the money I saved, it can go on a macro lens I have my eye on! (y)

I agree with you as I am a big fan of official parts/extras/add-ons etc. however I thought it was worth a punt seeing as I really wanted a 2nd battery.

Hiya,
How do you go about making a claim, mine is still under warranty but I bought it off another member here.

Same situation. Nikon won't honour 2nd owner. Real life pics looks ok but dirty focus test shows some back focus issue. Should I be worried?

Same situation. Nikon won't honour 2nd owner. Real life pics looks ok but dirty focus test shows some back focus issue. Should I be worried?

I sold the D7000 to Riz, and there is warranty until 17th Dec 2013.
When I sold it to him, I did say that if there was a problem within the warranty period, all he has to do is to return the camera to me, and I will send it off for repair. Camera gets sorted, I return it to him. Simple.
Would whoever you bought it from do the same?
This will only work if the second owner doesn't try registering with Nikon until after the warranty period of course.

Cheers for that. Was looking to save some quids off post both ways :LOL: to seller. I mean if nikon charges £30-40, maybe better sending it myself. BTW anyone who got it fixed out of warranty and how much was the charge?

Cheers for that. Was looking to save some quids off post both ways :LOL: to seller. I mean if nikon charges £30-40, maybe better sending it myself. BTW anyone who got it fixed out of warranty and how much was the charge?

Yes I did....It was free of charge :D

Yes I did....It was free of charge :D

They quoted me £14 for examination and delivery. Extra if needed fixing.

BTW how did you spot back focus on that big ben pics posted couple pages back? Looks to me that was spot on clock. If you have time, can you look on mine. Let me know what kind of pics you need.

Thanks

Hi all,

Been using my D7000 and it's a smashing camera, probably going to take me a long time to out grow its capabilities... I've spent a small fortune so far as have a habit of collecting all the bits etc.... This list keeps growing....

Nikon D7000
Nikon MB-D11 & EL15 battery
Nikon SB-600 flash
Nikon ME-1 microphone
Nikkor 12-24mm f4.0
Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8
Nikkor 18-70mm f3.5-4.5
Nikkor 35mm f1.8
Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 VR
B+W 77mm F-Pro UV
Hoya 77mm Pro-1 Digital
Plenty of cleaning clothes & pens
Plenty of Nikon lens pouches
National Geographic Walkabout bag (medium)
3 colour flash diffusers

My first assignment this weekend is to take some drop photos :)

Last edited:
Dan, did you get your battery OK?
I managed to get a full refund from Amazon for the 'wrong battery Gromit!'

I hope I'm not breaking any rules here, apologies if I am :nono:

I got it from eBay from a seller called goodphoto123, the item number is 320990975401

Hi all,

Been using my D7000 and it's a smashing camera, probably going to take me a long time to out grow its capabilities... I've spent a small fortune so far as have a habit of collecting all the bits etc.... This list keeps growing....

Nikon D7000
Nikon MB-D11 & EL15 battery
Nikon SB-600 flash
Nikon ME-1 microphone
Nikkor 12-24mm f4.0
Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8
Nikkor 18-70mm f3.5-4.5
Nikkor 35mm f1.8
Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 VR
B+W 77mm F-Pro UV
Hoya 77mm Pro-1 Digital
Plenty of cleaning clothes & pens
Plenty of Nikon lens pouches
National Geographic Walkabout bag (medium)
3 colour flash diffusers

My first assignment this weekend is to take some drop photos :)

That's a nice little set up you got, there's enough there to keep you busy for a while. Good luck with your water drop photo, it'll be one of the first projects i do once i get my camera. :)

bbk said:
They quoted me £14 for examination and delivery. Extra if needed fixing.

BTW how did you spot back focus on that big ben pics posted couple pages back? Looks to me that was spot on clock. If you have time, can you look on mine. Let me know what kind of pics you need.

Thanks

To me it looked like the balconey above and behind the clock was more in focus than the clock face itself.

Last edited:
I am wondering what people are using their custom buttons settings for? I.e what are you using the AE/AF for ? What do you have your fn button set to?

Question: When pressing the shutter button the highlighted AF points light up in red for a second or two then disappear - is there a setting to get these to stay illuminated in red for longer?

There is one for the ok button (f2) which is either to to centre or show the active point. The latter is a step in your direction

Back