Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Well the camera is back from Nikon this afternoon..
Haven't taken any pics to try it out yet, but they did a superb job of removing the dust & giving it a good clean on my 28-70mm lens, so first impressions are:

Very Quick,
Easy to deal with,
obviously done some work = Happy so far...

Total Cost was: £120 - Very worth it if it cures my focusing issue..

Jesus Quintana said:
I've swapped the "+" & "-" around on my settings as I feel "-" should be to the left!!
I set my Fn button for the tilt gauge.

I'm so glad you posted this. I always go the wrong way to start with and hadn't thought to check if it could be reversed. Time to get the manual out again I think.

I'm already using the same fn button assignment and find it very handy.

I'm so glad you posted this. I always go the wrong way to start with and hadn't thought to check if it could be reversed. Time to get the manual out again I think.

I'm already using the same fn button assignment and find it very handy.
I've never found it to be an issue, my thumb seems to know which way with out me really thinking about it.

So - I have a question about the Back focusing issue. My D7000 back focuses (or I am crap at testing) on all my lenses. On my Nikon 35mm1.8G I can control it with an adjustment of -18. On my new Tamron 17-50mm and an ebay special Nikon 18-200mm it is more of a problem, where even set to -20 I see problems. I did not test the 70-300mm, as I don't think I would ever notice it in a picture - although at some point I want to marry this up with a Raynox 250 to try Macro.

So the question is - is this acceptable and I am just being picky - or would you send the body back. My main concern is that I buy a lens in the future and cannot adjust enough to compensate.

Tamron17mm-20_zps9f03c216.jpg

Tamron 17-50mm @17mm -20 correction

tamron-2050mm_zps06f4d4c2.jpg

Tamron 17-50mm @50mm -20 correction

nikon18-200at18mm-20_zps8146e732.jpg

Nikon 18-200mm @18mm -20 correction

I'd say your not testing correctly. Your focusing at an angle so you don't actually know where the focus is going.

There was a link to the correct Nikon article on testing earlier in this thread (I think anyway). But essentially you need to focus perpendicular to the sensor and then have the focus scale at the side at a 45 degree angle.

If you can't find it I can post the link once home.

I'd say your not testing correctly. Your focusing at an angle so you don't actually know where the focus is going.

There was a link to the correct Nikon article on testing earlier in this thread (I think anyway). But essentially you need to focus perpendicular to the sensor and then have the focus scale at the side at a 45 degree angle.

If you can't find it I can post the link once home.

I posted it in this post.

So the question is - is this acceptable and I am just being picky - or would you send the body back.

My 6 lenses were between -12 & -16.
It P***** me off no end.. I hate soft shots for no good reason.
My Nikon could not be fixed fast enough.

OK - so I took a few more shots using the 'Nikon method'. I don't know how much this will show up in real world, especially with my lack of skill - but at some point I want to try out macro and don't want to be stuck after my warranty has expired.

So thoughts?

17-5017mm-20_zps0696ea15.jpg

17-50mm @17mm -20 adjustment

17-5050mm-20adjustment_zps2ca0dfca.jpg

17-50mm @50mm -20 adjustment

Doh! I am having a senior moment at only 37 years of age! I was only reading up on macro yesterday.

Hey we all have them!
Looking at your focus test shots (on my phone) they look as though you tested under poor lighting?
The light needs to be good or you will get false results!

Milkfloat said:
OK - so I took a few more shots using the 'Nikon method'. I don't know how much this will show up in real world, especially with my lack of skill - but at some point I want to try out macro and don't want to be stuck after my warranty has expired.

So thoughts?
What's the focus target? The big post it not isn't a good target if that. That said it does look to be back focusing. If you set it to 0 does it still back focus? I can never remember which way does what on fine tune.

Just send it in and get it calibrated. Yes the technique used to test is lacking, but of each lens is by that much just get it sorted and then within a week you'll enjoy shooting again instead of testing ;)

The focus point is the pointy bit of the black triangle, so there is contrast between the black and yellow.

The focus point is the pointy bit of the black triangle, so there is contrast between the black and yellow.
From the guide :
"Autofocus on a flat object such as a hardback book or small box which has fine detail a fixed distance from the camera."

I bought a new D7000 at the start of december, tested it to death and ended up returning it and getting it replaced this week. Im just going to shoot with the new one, not going to test it at all.

I bought a new D7000 at the start of december, tested it to death and ended up returning it and getting it replaced this week. Im just going to shoot with the new one, not going to test it at all.

I don't blame you, I think it would drive me crazy. I'm looking to buy one soon and i'm just going to shoot and hope for the best!

Considering the camera has been out 3 years now? you would of thought Nikon would have sorted this problem and everything would be fine with a new batch of d7000s.

Can someone explain to me what I am doing wrong with the intervalometer please?

I just set up my shot in manual mode, on tripod, manual focus - 25s exposure time
Went to the intervalometer chose the "now" option, set it for 2 hours, 240x1 shots

Set it going, went back into the house...came back two hours later and it's taken...1 photo....

What am I doing wrong?

siblingchris said:
Can someone explain to me what I am doing wrong with the intervalometer please?

I just set up my shot in manual mode, on tripod, manual focus - 25s exposure time
Went to the intervalometer chose the "now" option, set it for 2 hours, 240x1 shots

Set it going, went back into the house...came back two hours later and it's taken...1 photo....

What am I doing wrong?

The built in intervalometer uses black magic and jiggery pokery to work. It is not for the use of mere mortals such as you and I.
Being serious though, I have tried many times to use it and failed every time - get a cheap remote one off eBay - much easier:)

The built in intervalometer uses black magic and jiggery pokery to work. It is not for the use of mere mortals such as you and I.
Being serious though, I have tried many times to use it and failed every time - get a cheap remote one off eBay - much easier:)

It is quite straight forward to use once you get your head around it!:thinking:

I have had far too much red wine to try and type a tutorial:eek:

If no one else has told you what to do i will return tomorrow with a walk through!(y)

JulesP said:

I've got a wireless remote just no intervalometer on it....

Quick question to the lot who bought a D7000 from Hdew or Panamoz recently - how much did you pay? Both seem to be sitting at the £580 mark just now, I thought it was cheaper than that...?

That's what I was thinking! In my head it was around the £550 mark. It's my birthday on the 12th, so was hoping I could get it then. Wonder if I send an email if they'll drop the price a bit. Doubt it though :p

Damn! Knew I should have pulled the trigger sooner! :LOL:

Last edited:
Quick question to the lot who bought a D7000 from Hdew or Panamoz recently - how much did you pay? Both seem to be sitting at the £580 mark just now, I thought it was cheaper than that...?

£580 sounds about right from Panamoz, then take the 4% discount for Bank Transfer then smile nicely and push for a bit more. I paid £514 including 1 year replacement warranty.

Its a bit odd that Amazon don't seem to have it direct from them, the first seller listed as "Fulfilled by Amazon" UK Plus Digital is known for supply grey market imports and not UK models.

its very strange actually because one day last week they had a bold section of writing on the page that said something along the lines of

'amazon cannot offer this camera to customers due to products being received not matching the product description.

something like that anyway - sounds a bit confusing the way I've wrote it (excuse the grammar!). made me think maybe amazon had got hold of grey imports themselves.

its very strange actually because one day last week they had a bold section of writing on the page that said something along the lines of

'amazon cannot offer this camera to customers due to products being received not matching the product description.

something like that anyway - sounds a bit confusing the way I've wrote it (excuse the grammar!). made me think maybe amazon had got hold of grey imports themselves.

that is standard text when they have complaints about marketplace sellers....

So - I have a question about the Back focusing issue. My D7000 back focuses (or I am crap at testing) on all my lenses.

That's (including the ruler test) how it looked on mine which Nikon confirmed as having BF issues. Still to do test after getting back from Nikon but only took less than a week.

£580 sounds about right from Panamoz, then take the 4% discount for Bank Transfer then smile nicely and push for a bit more. I paid £514 including 1 year replacement warranty.

Good to know that you can haggle a bit! I was tempted by Hdew, but i'll ask both and see what I can come up with. :)

Mine was from Panamoz. I paid £529

I bought the extra warranty for £8...I just can't remember if the £529 included it or not...sorry.

I'll check when I'm home. I know it went up to £543 3 days after I ordered it

Last edited:
Thanks for checking Mark! Surprised hdew said no, considering how much their price fluctuates. SLRHut are selling it for £545, does anyone know if they're trustworthy?

Back