Nikon D7xxx owners thread

im glad you are getting the issue sorted out Old Carlos,hopefully nikon will sort it for you. it seems there may be a few cameras having an issue.

im so far quite pleased with my d7100,focus has been pretty good.ive not had to micro adjust any lens so far,even the 70-200 that had to be set to -17 on my d7000 is perfect, even at f2.8. hopefully yours will come back like it soon.

Yeah, hopefully it'll come back fine.
Nikon are usually pretty good & tbh, as long as it's sorted, I prefer this option to getting another & finding it's the same.

I found for close subjects, up to about 4mts, +5 helped, but for distant subjects +9 was needed, so kept it at +7. though none were as sharp as my D7000 :crying:

I've seen some cracking images from the D7100 :cool: & I do like the features & feel of it, so just a case of fingers crossed.

Thanks Rob.

I'm still loving mine and getting perfectly acceptable images. However, I'm taking mine back to Grays of Westminster so they can check it out, as I'm just not getting as many perfectly focused image compared to my D7000. I kind of hope they do find something so it can be fixed and I can move on.

Hi ya all,I took delivery of a D7100 late last week,I had a lot of trouble with one lens,a new 300mm Sigma,I couldn't calibrate the Sigma to the camera it was rear focusing,even at -20 in fine tuning,I tried the lens on my other body and it was the same -20,it's now winging it's way back to Sigma,for recalibration,and I'm using my 70-200mm 2.8 Nikon with the 2x nikon teleconverter,fine tuned by -5,the picture below is straight from camera,full size on Flickr,with no processing other than the cameras own at factory settings,NEF files I'm having to convert at the moment as I run XP on an old computer not compatible for CS6 or the like,but I'm having no issues with them,hope this of help to some :)

DSC_1910 by bo_nzo,

my camera is back at the shop today being tested, i will update this thread when i get some information.
I'm still confused as to how this camera can produce excellent results like this, followed by a load of mis-focused ones.

Heron Glider by TheCoffeeNut, on Flickr

Finally upgraded my kit lens and went the full 9 yards to a Nikon 17-55 f2.8. Got it used from MPB for a good price and even had the bag, sigma rear cap will need to be replaced mind! Heavy old beast but solid.

Looking forward to sticking it on the D7000 once I get home.

Well it's arrived. I'm quite pleased with it to be fair. Compared to my D3000 it has a lot more functionality and it feels good in my hands even without a MB-D11. When I attached my 50mm 1.8 I found I had to configure the AF a fair bit though which is a bit weird to me.

Well it's arrived. I'm quite pleased with it to be fair. Compared to my D3000 it has a lot more functionality and it feels good in my hands even without a MB-D11. When I attached my 50mm 1.8 I found I had to configure the AF a fair bit though which is a bit weird to me.

Will, what made you think that was required to fine tune the lens?

I got my D7000 last week (from D3100), but i'm wondering if I need to check all my lenses to be sure?

How did you go about testing? (apologies if this topic has come up before)

Last edited:
Many thanks for the replies folks, I suppose I was just looking for some reassurance before spending the cash! I quite often suffer from buyer's remorse (although it doesn't last for long), but this time it was pre-purchase jitters.

Can't wait to get my hands on one, and as everyone says, it's at a fantastic price at the moment.

Best wishes,
David

I've just upgraded to the D7000 from a D60 and the difference is incredible. Certain things with the D60 frustrated me, it's poor performance at High Iso, lack of AF points and buffer size for continuous shooting. But the D7000 is more than enough camera for me.

Have stuck 2 x Class 10 32GB cards in it from 7dayshop for the bargain price of £30. Set one to hold Raw files and the other for movies.

Now, I just need to improve my technique to justify the camera!

Here's the news from Grays.

They couldn't find anything wrong with my camera, it matched their D7100 for IQ, although they only tested it on static shots and I was having trouble with birds in flight. Now here's the strange thing and something they said surprised them, when they tested my lens/converter on a D7000 they agreed the results where sharper.

They have offered me a refund, but I'm now not sure what to do. I have taken some stunning images with this camera, but still feel it's not a consistent as my D7000.
do I continue with it, try another one or go for something else (not sure what though!)
I have to decide by tomorrow :shake:

It's a tough one and I've been there with the D7100, though I think my case was much clearer than yours. My worry would be that you will always have the niggle and regret keeping it ... then again what do you get in it's place?
For me the D800 was a fairly painless decision and I'm now glad that I made it, but the extra cost wouldn't be everyone's choice.

Will, what made you think that was required to fine tune the lens?

I got my D7000 last week (from D3100), but i'm wondering if I need to check all my lenses to be sure?

How did you go about testing? (apologies if this topic has come up before)

I found that when I was trying to focus on any particular point that it was focussing noticeably behind it (is this what it known as back focussing?). I've pulled the value down in the 'AF Fine Tune' setting and it's much better now. If you haven't noticed any problems with your lenses then to be honest I would say you've nothing to worry about :)

I've just upgraded to the D7000 from a D60 and the difference is incredible. Certain things with the D60 frustrated me, it's poor performance at High Iso, lack of AF points and buffer size for continuous shooting. But the D7000 is more than enough camera for me.

Have stuck 2 x Class 10 32GB cards in it from 7dayshop for the bargain price of £30. Set one to hold Raw files and the other for movies.

Now, I just need to improve my technique to justify the camera!

^ Basically this.

I've pulled the SDHC card out of my D3000 for now but I think I'll look for some decent cards to throw in.

Thing is Nigel, if you accept it back, in effect you're saying you're happy with it (which isn't 100% correct) & later on if you continue to be frustrated with it, I guess you're lumbered with it?
Have Grays not thought of sending it to Nikon service?

It might be worth trying another, because there are plenty of folk who are more than happy with theirs & producing some stunning images.

What I don't quite understand about what seem similar issues, is how come the D7000 is sharper WITH the AA-filter? + your D7100 is still OK in their tests.

I hope mine doesn't come back with them saying....no issues, or, it's fine.

It's a tough one and I've been there with the D7100, though I think my case was much clearer than yours. My worry would be that you will always have the niggle and regret keeping it ... then again what do you get in it's place?
For me the D800 was a fairly painless decision and I'm now glad that I made it, but the extra cost wouldn't be everyone's choice.

I am considering the d800, just wondering about the loss of a crop as most of my photography is wildlife.

Thing is Nigel, if you accept it back, in effect you're saying you're happy with it (which isn't 100% correct) & later on if you continue to be frustrated with it, I guess you're lumbered with it?
Have Grays not thought of sending it to Nikon service?

It might be worth trying another, because there are plenty of folk who are more than happy with theirs & producing some stunning images.

What I don't quite understand about what seem similar issues, is how come the D7000 is sharper WITH the AA-filter? + your D7100 is still OK in their tests.

I hope mine doesn't come back with them saying....no issues, or, it's fine.

They said they are happy to refund, but cannot offer a replacement as the IQ matches their demo model so they believe my camera is operating OK.
for me it's not a sharpness issue as I am happy that when the camera focuses correctly it produces a pin sharp image, it's just that it doesn't always seem to focus accurately, but static test shots just don't really show this up.

Can anyone with a genuine Nikon grip answer a question for me:

I just stuck my D7000 with aperture branded grip on a tripod with my newer, much heavier, lens hung on the front, tripod plate on the grip. There was a noticeable wobble from the grip-camera joint.

Does anyone know if a genuine grip would be any better here? I already want the upgrade due to the weather sealing but the wobble would sell it on pay day rather than when it happens!

.... it's just that it doesn't always seem to focus accurately, but static test shots just don't really show this up.

Via the Nikon online help service & providing a variety of images, I had to take a few of the shots in `P`mode!!! which sort of defeats the object of using it for birds etc.

One of the shots they admitted was a bit `soft` but blamed it on using AF-C.

I have decided to go for the refund, while I make my mind up which way to jump.
As you say if I accept it back now they might withdraw this option. I can always decide to but another one after considering all the options.
It will give me time to think and I still have my D7000 to keep me going.

Probably the best decision really. As you say, you still have your D7000 while you decide.

Also noticed today that my supplier has dropped their price by £100 ..... & it's still a pre-order item?

Wish I hadn't traded my D7000 in now! lol

Have to say I think that is the best decision, no regrets that you can't put right.

Can anyone with a genuine Nikon grip answer a question for me:

I just stuck my D7000 with aperture branded grip on a tripod with my newer, much heavier, lens hung on the front, tripod plate on the grip. There was a noticeable wobble from the grip-camera joint.

Does anyone know if a genuine grip would be any better here? I already want the upgrade due to the weather sealing but the wobble would sell it on pay day rather than when it happens!

I have the Nikon grip with my D7000, it stays on all the time and I have zero wobble.

Riz :)

I was thinking yesterday about the decision/design to leave out the AA-filter on this camera & wondered if it was actually a necessity because of the new Toshiba sensor?
Would a Sony sensor have been better?

I was thinking yesterday about the decision/design to leave out the AA-filter on this camera & wondered if it was actually a necessity because of the new Toshiba sensor?
Would a Sony sensor have been better?

Isn't the D800/D800e a Sony Sensor? I doubt removing the AA-filter is anything to do with the sensor manufacturer.

Probably the best decision really. As you say, you still have your D7000 while you decide.

Also noticed today that my supplier has dropped their price by £100 ..... & it's still a pre-order item?

Wish I hadn't traded my D7000 in now! lol

I read that the price dropped by $100 in the US shortly after launch so it could be the same in the UK?

My D7000 always has its battery grip attached with a NL15 battery, the Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 and a Black Rapid QR hook.

Top setup, I removed the neck strap eyelets.

When most retailers were doing it at £1099, (and still are) Mifsuds had it at £970 and I got mine locally price-matched ... shame it had to go back :)

Could anyone recommend a good starting flash that's fully compatible with the D7000?

I can't justify splashing out for a speedlight, but would like something that works with i-ttl and has an adjustable head angle.

Could anyone recommend a good starting flash that's fully compatible with the D7000?

I can't justify splashing out for a speedlight, but would like something that works with i-ttl and has an adjustable head angle.

I hear Nissin flashes are pretty good value for money.
I have a Nikon SB-600 and very rarely use it.

I paid full price for mine, BUT it included a spare/2nd Nikon battery, so still a decent price. :cool:

Only just registered, but it was primarily because of this post as i've just picked up a D7100 myself. Been shooting with it for the last few weeks on a 50mm and a 70-300 when out with the missus eventing. I can't say i've had many if any issues on image quality/focus so far and i was a bit sad to see you didn't opt for a replacement as i think its a great piece of kit. That said, the D800 is excellent option if you got the money and is something i plan to pickup myself next year, but for now i'm going to put the D7100 through its paces while i start getting a few beefy lenses on the side. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back