Nikon D7xxx owners thread

I have a YongNuo YN-467 (the mk1 version, there's a mk2 now).

On camera I get TTL that seems to work well. Off camera it's manual only but there's optical slaves here if needed. The control is very basic however and comp can only be dialled in in full stops on the flash. It's also quite noisy when zooming if that will be an issue.

I don't use flash that often but I am starting to thing of things where it may be useful and have been considering either a used SB-7/8/900 or a new YN-568EX which has HSS and CLS support.

Good news Pete. Glad you got a good un (as have the vast majority btw)

Post a few pics up too. Always interested to see other's images.

I'll see what i can do over the weekend!

I just had a read of this, it hadn't been updated the last i looked

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7100.htm

Worth a read, sorry if its been posted already.

I've been shooting with my 35mm 1.8 the most, like he has, have to say, i love it too. Tack Sharp pictures.

I also picked up the 70-300 VR for event shooting (the missus rides) and i'm getting on ok with that. That said, i am saving for the 70-200 2.8 VR 2. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was nailed on to get one of these for my 40th in August but this thread is putting me off a bit now.....Trouble is I don't know what way to go if I don't get one of these. Not sure I want to go full frame.

I'd also be interested to see some shots Pete as I already have both those lenses, cheers.

I was nailed on to get one of these for my 40th in August but this thread is putting me off a bit now.....Trouble is I don't know what way to go if I don't get one of these. Not sure I want to go full frame.

I'd also be interested to see some shots Pete as I already have both those lenses, cheers.

Check the Dpreview review, and if you are not quite sure of the D7100 why not a bargain priced D7000 s/h which will tie you over until a D7200 or a D8000 or whatever? Amazing camera while I had it!

Although I had a bad one, I'm thinking that this is a similar case to the issue with some of the early D800's - some had a green colour cast, some an AF issue but it seems to have been resolved now and my D800 is okay.
Probably by August the issue will be in the past.

Check the Dpreview review, and if you are not quite sure of the D7100 why not a bargain priced D7000 s/h which will tie you over until a D7200 or a D8000 or whatever? Amazing camera while I had it!

I have been quite tempted by the d7000 and it may be an option but, at the moment I'm thinking I won't be able to spend that kind of money again for a good few years so go for the newer to future proof a bit, well that and the fact I like the look of some of the extra features on the d7100 :)

Although I had a bad one, I'm thinking that this is a similar case to the issue with some of the early D800's - some had a green colour cast, some an AF issue but it seems to have been resolved now and my D800 is okay.
Probably by August the issue will be in the past.

Hopefully that will be the case Gramps :)

Anyway, with what you do with your 3100 why do you need to upgrade? :D

Well took the camera back today and got a refund. I'm not really sure there testing proved anything, I still rate this camera and have a number of nice images from it.

I have a play with a D800 while I was there and brought home some test images to analyse. I'm off to the Isle of Mull in 6 weeks time, so would really like to make a decision a couple of weeks before that so I can test whatever I get.

Nothing that interesting but here one of the test images from the D800, there is a full res version on Flickr;

Mobile in the Sun by TheCoffeeNut, on Flickr

Image looks fine & shows detail in the barnet. Was this taken with your 300 + 1.4TC?

Quite a few years since I visited Mull. You must go over to Iona :cool:

Yes 300 + 1.4, thought I might as well test it with that as I use it most of the time.
Seems quite good, but only 4 fps. Still might try another d7100.

Does the D800 have in-camera crop? Would that make a difference to fps?

DX mode with grip = 5fps I think.
I guess dealing with the larger files means a trade-off.

Yep, if they made the perfect camera they would only need one model and we would all own one!

DX mode with grip = 5fps I think.
I guess dealing with the larger files means a trade-off.

Thats right Gramps. the two crop modes will give you a frame rate of 5fps up from 4 fps. If you add the vertical grip then only the DX crop mode would take you up to 6fps

Yeah I was just checking it out. Seems like you COULD get 6fps with the grip, but £££'s again.

Still a possibility of a D400? but it's playing the waiting game again till maybe Autumn, by which time you could have had 6 months or more with a good D7100.

Heck, I'm struggling with/for you.....I hope mine comes back ok. :bonk: :LOL:

I hope so too.
The guy in the shop seemed to suggest a d400 might be on it's way, but had no real information to back that up, but he did say that it wouldn't be until Autumn.

It really wasn't supposed to be this difficult, I probably will try another one, mine was almost there so I would be hopeful of getting a perfect one. Apparently I was the first returnee they had, not that it's much consolation to me.

When are you due to get your back Carl?

Thats right Gramps. the two crop modes will give you a frame rate of 5fps up from 4 fps. If you add the vertical grip then only the DX crop mode would take you up to 6fps

On the plus side, it does seem to have a good buffer. 4 fps RAW but the buffer will take 16 images, so that's a 4 second burst. The D7100 does 6 fps but the buffer can only hold 6 images, so only a 1 second burst!

Not sure when mine should be back, Nigel.
Dealer sent it on Wednesday.
I know they can get stuff back within 10 days, but guess it depends how busy they are.
If I get it back within 3 weeks i'll be content......provided it's ok.

I suppose if you can wait a month, i'll obviously update on my situation re the service centre, but it also gives you a better chance of buying a `2nd batch` camera, which hopefully won't have any issues.

Tell you what I did find interesting, my supplier (part of a regional dealer network) only got a few in initially & didn't meet their order numbers which they wanted, for pre-order customers, let alone stock.
4+ weeks later, they still haven't had another delivery.

Makes me wonder if a certain number were released first to check on feedback, before releasing more. At least that way they wouldn't have a flood of returns & extra expense + they could avoid the QC questions/bad press that they had with recent releases.

Amazon and market sellers seem to have plenty of stock though, DPR review is up now and D7100 gets a gold star. Pretty quick from DPR as D7100 has not been out that long, they seem to take ages to get some reviews out, but review will certainly get some traffic to DPR site.:)
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d7100/

Amazon and market sellers seem to have plenty of stock though, DPR review is up now and D7100 gets a gold star. Pretty quick from DPR as D7100 has not been out that long, they seem to take ages to get some reviews out, but review will certainly get some traffic to DPR site.:)

It was quick, wasn't it.

I have read the review and as I found it's great camera, when it performed.
That's what is leading me towards getting another one. :)

Anyway, with what you do with your 3100 why do you need to upgrade? :D

Ha, thanks Gramps......I don't really need to upgrade I just want to (but I've told the missus I need to ;) )

Oh, and the extra dedicated buttons and a decent screen (for manual focus in live view) will make life a bit easier :)

I'll have a read of that, sounds more like it :)

It was quick, wasn't it.

I have read the review and as I found it's great camera, when it performed.
That's what is leading me towards getting another one. :)

It may be a good idea to try another one, there is always a narrow margin of failures with new products so hopefully you will get a good one. The shots you got with it (when it worked) were stunning, especially that Red Kite shot, the detail was brilliant. I used my d7000 photographing Black Kites, I've got a few good focused shots but many,many unfocused ones I've had to bin. I want to go and try some birds in flight with the d7100 to see if its any better, so far it looks better but then I think my d7000 is soon going off to nikon for service to get the possible back focusing issue sorted out.

Rob, if you fancy a bit of Red Kite flight shooting I can give you a shout next time we go.
It's only over near Stokenchurch.

Well, I had a complete moment of madness today.
Whilst trying to decide what to do now I have returned my D7100 I spotted one for sale at a good price from my local camera shop. Call me mad but I went out and bought one.

Now, I have only used it the once, but I'm sure it is far better than the one I sent back. Static shots look sharper and BIF shots are hitting the mark a lot more too.
Here's a few images, I will be out tomorrow testing it further and will report back how I get on.

Static Moorhen shot, perfectly focused!

2013-04-27 184009N-2 copy by TheCoffeeNut, on Flickr

Grab flight shot;

2013-04-27 191951N_flickr by TheCoffeeNut, on Flickr

Big crop, but these were fast and this new D7100 seem to manage to focus on them a few times;

2013-04-27 190747N_flickr by TheCoffeeNut, on Flickr

Sounds like you made a good decision, and got it for a better price too. I hope it all works out this time for you, you looked like you got a few good shots with the last one. Hopefully this will give you plenty of well focused shots. I'm wondering if there seems to be a few cameras wrong from one batch of them.

Stokenchurch sounds great for Red Kites, if you could let me know when you are next going that would be great to come along to, thanks.

Really hope it lives up to expectations. If you are getting a few keepers like that of swallows in flight, it's looking promising & i'd be happy with the detail acheived with the moorhen. :cool:

Cheers gramps, rob, carl.

Early days, but I feel a lot happier with this one. Only time will tell.(y)

Well, I had a complete moment of madness today.
Whilst trying to decide what to do now I have returned my D7100 I spotted one for sale at a good price from my local camera shop. Call me mad but I went out and bought one.

Now, I have only used it the once, but I'm sure it is far better than the one I sent back. Static shots look sharper and BIF shots are hitting the mark a lot more too.
Here's a few images, I will be out tomorrow testing it further and will report back how I get on.

Static Moorhen shot, perfectly focused!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nmc1007/8687128684/
2013-04-27 184009N-2 copy by TheCoffeeNut, on Flickr

Grab flight shot;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nmc1007/8686010873/
2013-04-27 191951N_flickr by TheCoffeeNut, on Flickr

Big crop, but these were fast and this new D7100 seem to manage to focus on them a few times;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nmc1007/8687128882/
2013-04-27 190747N_flickr by TheCoffeeNut, on Flickr

Very sharp images you have got there. Good luck with your test tomorrow

Having read most posts about the body I am now thinking would it be a wise move upgrading from my d90 at the moment.
Would it be better to leave it a bit to see if Nikon realise they may have made a few errors and see If they rectify these issues that don't exist haha

Mark, I think it's more just 1st production teething/QC issues with a few.
I suppose it depends how urgently you need to upgrade, but you can get them for less than £950 in the UK now, so if you waited a bit longer any teething issues should be sorted & be a bit cheaper too.

Stokenchurch sounds great for Red Kites, if you could let me know when you are next going that would be great to come along to, thanks.

I was trying to grab a shot of these yesterday, my mother lives in Chinnor and they are always gliding over the house, didn't have much luck though the 70-300 i have is great for event stuff with the horses but for birds...well, if it was perched on a roof nearby it might be ok, but those kites are not that tame :)

I was trying to grab a shot of these yesterday, my mother lives in Chinnor and they are always gliding over the house, didn't have much luck though the 70-300 i have is great for event stuff with the horses but for birds...well, if it was perched on a roof nearby it might be ok, but those kites are not that tame :)

I started out with a 70-300, got some nice shots with it including BIF, but my images were transformed when I got the 300 f4, such a sharp lens.

Looks good Nigel - you may well have struck gold with your impulse buy . Are those last pics with the 300 f4 ? - do you use any other 'long' lenses either Nikon or ???

Looks good Nigel - you may well have struck gold with your impulse buy . Are those last pics with the 300 f4 ? - do you use any other 'long' lenses either Nikon or ???

I have the 300 f2.8 now, give me more options, but I don't think it is any sharper than the f4.

Back