Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Well mine arrived today! Wanted to upgrade my d3100 and had the cash available so thought why not :)

Taken some random shots in the house and all seems good but going to test the left, right, centre focus tomorrow with a tripod etc.

Reading around the net there seems very few with focus issues?

First impressions are very good, the build quality is excellent.

I'll post my findings tomorrow.

Well mine arrived today! Wanted to upgrade my d3100 and had the cash available so thought why not :)

Taken some random shots in the house and all seems good but going to test the left, right, centre focus tomorrow with a tripod etc.

You lucky sod:cool:

Anyone need a kidney:D

Part ex my D90 for one earlier in the week as a backup for the D300, after doing an indoor event a couple of weeks ago I realised I needed something to cope with low light at high shutter speeds.
Not had a lot of time to play but so far I am really pleased with the results I have
Just wish Nikon would bring out an upgrade to D300 now, I reckon the D7100 will make a great 2nd body and is user friendly when loaned (y)

Last edited:

I'll be interested to see you thoughts as thats what I'll be upgrading from :)

Not my lucky month, just tested and it looks like my D7100 has the left AF point misalignment issue. Darn ...

Centre, right and, finally, left:

focusing%20using%20centre%20point.jpg

focusing%20using%20right%20point.jpg

focusing%20using%20left%20point.jpg
That last image doesn't look square to me ...

Another few shots. Auto-focused using the center point and checked the image in live view 200% and it is sharp.
Auto-focused using the left point and checked the image in live view, completely blurry.

af%20test%201.jpg

af%20test%203.jpg

af%20test%202.jpg

af%20test%204.jpg

Also below the same shots taken with the D300 and the D7100.

First the crops of the left and centre point of the D7100
Second image are the left and centre crops from the D300

Park%20D7100%20left%20and%20centre%20crop.jpg

D300%20left%20and%20centre.jpg

Seems problems are few are far between, just a few unlucky owners.

Just tried one more copy and it exhibits the same issue, even worse than the first.

So I am either extremely unlucky or it is just that many people do not test this focal point because they have not heard about the issue or they do not care.
If that's the case then the problem is much more common than we think.

I remember reading an online review where the author tested 3 copies, finding all of them to be problematic. Will see if I can find the link.

Did you manage to get in touch with the online store you bought from? Did you offer a refund/replacement?

out of interest, who did you use? also, is it just the extreme far left points or the next row in too?

Last edited:
Only tested the extreme far left points, did not see a reason to try more when those were so bad as to make them unusable.

Would rather not share any information regarding the seller at the moment until this whole matter is resolved.

Only tested the extreme far left points, did not see a reason to try more when those were so bad as to make them unusable.

How did you test this? How far was the camera from the target? Is there any link to a method? I've just tried to replicate your from your photos to test my D7100 and D7000, both seem to be fine.

Well after some testing today I think mine is OK.

I did the whole charts on the wall thing and although admittedly lighting was uneven, my pictures were acceptable.

I've done some random compose with left focus points etc and there doesn't seem to be any issues.

I think if I'd never have read about an issue I would never have looked for it. None of the photos I've taken look out of focus and if they are it's been user error.

I ordered mine from Pixel Deals on eBay who I believe are part of hdewcameras?

The serial number begins 251 which matches those people have said have no issues on dpreview.

So far I've only used mine with the new sigma 17-70 contemporary lens.

When I started out on the d3100 I used to change the focus point but mostly I use centre point now so hopefully I won't keep being paranoid about left focus.

All this aside I love the camera, feels like a massive upgrade. It feels great to hold, focuses fast, image quality is fantastic, menus are a little different but easy enough to find what you want. Will take a little getting used to but so glad I took the plunge

Took mine for it's first day out today and really pleased with the results, I do mainly animals, birds, insects etc
One picture with nikon 70-200 vr , just collected my sigma 150-500 back from repair so will give that a go over the weekend

Last edited:
Finished testing today another few D7100 bodies thanks to a very helpful dealer.

Conclusions

1. All (6) of the D7100 bodies I tried show (to a lesser or a higher degree) softness with the far left AF point.
2. At 2.8 this was JUST visible on most bodies.
3. At 1.4 is was very visible on 3 bodies (could barely read the text), and visible on the rest (could read it but with difficulty)

Then I tested a D7000, D300, D5200 and 2 copies of the D800

NONE of the above bodies exhibited this abnormality.

The owner of the store contacted their Nikon representative who admitted that there were reports of a misaligned left AF side of D7100 bodies and they are currently working on resolving this.

Most likely there were not too many reports of this due to the fact that not too many people both have 1.4 lenses AND test the far left AF point if they are not aware of this issue.

BTW I am now the owner of a D800 and will get a D7100 as a second body when this is resolved. The dealer will call me every time they get a new D7100 batch in for testing with him a few bodies and reporting on the issue to Nikon.

Last edited:
Admittedly I don't have a lens that goes below 2.8 so I'll just have to wait and see if Nikon announce anything.

Like you say, a lot of people just won't use the Canberra in such a way to notice it.....either because of centre focus and compose or the lens they use

Finished testing today another few D7100 bodies thanks to a very helpful dealer.

Conclusions

1. All (6) of the D7100 bodies I tried show (to a lesser or a higher degree) softness with the far left AF point.
2. At 2.8 this was JUST visible on most bodies.
3. At 1.4 is was very visible on 3 bodies (could barely read the text), and visible on the rest (could read it but with difficulty)

Then I tested a D7000, D300, D5200 and 2 copies of the D800

NONE of the above bodies exhibited this abnormality.

The owner of the store contacted their Nikon representative who admitted that there were reports of a misaligned left AF side of D7100 bodies and they are currently working on resolving this.

Most likely there were not too many reports of this due to the fact that not too many people both have 1.4 lenses AND test the far left AF point if they are not aware of this issue.

BTW I am now the owner of a D800 and will get a D7100 as a second body when this is resolved. The dealer will call me every time they get a new D7100 batch in for testing with him a few bodies and reporting on the issue to Nikon.

Congratulations on the D800, an amazing camera that I m sure you will enjoy.

You do think that Nikon who d have fixed this focus problem before releasing the D7100 specially after what they went through with the D800

Last edited:
Bought my new toy today to upgrade my D90 - it's currently on charge before I can play with it! I haven't yet read the whole thread, but I'm picking up that there is a focus problem at wide apertures on 1 focus point? I'm also guessing that the 43X are some of the affected batches, of which mines is a 432... 50mm F1.8 is the widest lens I've got anyway.

Can't wait to have some fun with this!

I'll be very interested to see how you get on with that as I have that lens :)

Raining to day so only got chance for a short play in the local reserve, dunno what sigma have done to my lens but it now focuses almost as fast as the nikon, dunno if that's the D7100 :shrug: and is so quiet :clap: even the OS doesn't make a sound
One from today

Back