Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Edit My Images
No
I got my D7000 on Saturday as an early Birthday & Christmas pressie! I actually had to be persuaded by my wife to get it as Jessops had one but were charging over the odds.

My previous camera was a D40 and the difference is unbelievable, the camera feels and handles as well as my Contax film cameras. There is obviously a lot to learn in terms of functions and what does what but so far everything seems perfect - video and high ISO pics much better than expected.

What are the views of anyone else lucky enough to have got one so soon ?

Hi Tim.

I got a D7000 on Saturday too and I also upgraded from a D40.

It feels a world apart, a huge step up.

Its going to take some getting used to.

Been out with it today and got a couple of shots Im happy with but cant upload them at the min, crap internet connection here....

Yep - I got mine on Sat too, very happy with it so far two minor niggles however, the picture view button isnt in the same place as it is on my D90 so everytime I want to view the shot, I end up hitting the menu button... I am sure I will get used to it :)

Other niggle is the buffer, if I reel off a quick sequence of RAW shots, it take ages to write them out... 10 shots about 8 seconds to wait...

Other than that quite happy so far. Big plus is it meters my 50mm ebay bargin AIS lens which is great :)

Other niggle is the buffer, if I reel off a quick sequence of RAW shots, it take ages to write them out... 10 shots about 8 seconds to wait...

Out of interest, how big is the buffer for jpeg, large size highest quality?

Out of interest, how big is the buffer for jpeg, large size highest quality?

Large fine setting is 31 in the manual, its hard to tell as it will go for 100 shots in continuous mode, it keeps up with that without problem.

Last edited:
This weeks Amateur Photographer has full review and lab of the D7000 (y)

Scores 85% in the review

Last edited:
just bought a d7000 off amazon with kit lens. Hope i don't regret it as i've just sold my d300s, was not very happy with iso above 800. Plan is to sell the kit lens 18-105mm at around £150 as i have a 16-85mm. let me know if anyone wants the 18-105mm.

what memory cards are you guys using with your D7000 ?

I always used Sandisk with my D40 but with the larger image size these 1GB and 2GB cards seem a little small now.

I don't ever intend to use RAW and on the best JPG setting the files are around 7MB in size but I will be using the video function from time to time. I currently have the camera set to duplicate the files onto the slot 2 card in case of accidents !

Is there any need to invest in better cards than the standard blue Sandisk ones - I have a couple of "extreme" sandisk higher priced cards but never noticed any difference in the D40.

I was wondering about a 16GB standard sandisk card for about £16 - do you think this would be up to video use ?

ref:-
This weeks Amateur Photographer has full review and lab of the D7000

Scores 85% in the review.

Well with all the hype that's been flying about re this camera I would expect a higher score than this, what let it down?

Every camera scores around that, its the same for most reviews they dont want to favour one camera over another in case they loose advertising........

what memory cards are you guys using with your D7000 ?

Is there any need to invest in better cards than the standard blue Sandisk ones - I have a couple of "extreme" sandisk higher priced cards but never noticed any difference in the D40.

I was wondering about a 16GB standard sandisk card for about £16 - do you think this would be up to video use ?

I use a sandisc 16G card (SDHC 4) and its fine for the video aspect though I am considering getting a class 6 card to see if it makes a difference to how long it takes to dump the buffer to the card..

I've got the D7k and I love it! I use sandisk 8gb extreme class 10 cards.

So at the weekend was my first full battery use from new, 966 shots 13% battery. Not sure how my D90 performed relative to that.

I noticed the moon looked a little squashed tonight so it gave me chance to break out the tripod and have a play. I had forgot about the mirror lockup, so I wanted to try that out using my ML-L3 remote.

Imagine my suprise when I discovered I couldnt lock up the mirror and use the remote on the dial!!

I knew there must be a setting option to allow mirror lockup activated off the remote, which I eventually found under "Shooting Menu > Remote control mode". Suppose I should have RTFM before hand - but where's the fun in that :)

Quite happy with the result (cropped of course) (y)

SquashedMoonDSC_0817.jpg

nice moon pic.

one thing I've noticed with mine is that when using Auto ISO - which I always used to on my D40 - is that it knocks the ISO right up even when using flash - as if it thinks the flash isn't there - I never had an issue with this on the D40. Are then any workrounds or do most Nikons operate like this ??

I haven't used autoISO so no idea .... I think I did try it on the D90 in the early days but didnt get on with it.

one thing I've noticed with mine is that when using Auto ISO - which I always used to on my D40 - is that it knocks the ISO right up even when using flash - as if it thinks the flash isn't there - I never had an issue with this on the D40. Are then any workrounds or do most Nikons operate like this ??

On the D80 you could set the max ISO allowed. I.E set it to 400, and the camera would just auto select one between 100-400. Assume the D7000 has a similar option.

So at the weekend was my first full battery use from new, 966 shots 13% battery. Not sure how my D90 performed relative to that.

On the D80 I managed just over 1700 shots on one battery before. Makes the D7k look poor in comparison. That said I still want one, most online places are out of stock though, where is everyone buying them from?

That was mostly RAW shots (I think I did 200jpgs) and a few movies while out and about... I'll keep an eye on it as it might get better given it has only had 2 charges now since I got it.

Don't want to hijack this thread with negativity ;) but have any of you new D7k owners experienced the stuck pixel issues in video mode/ long exposure shots?

I have tested 3 bodies now and all have had issues (1 was shockingly bad), so I'm giving up for now and getting a refund. My video plans will have to go on hold for a while....

I started a dedicated thread for it here if anyone's interested:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=273271

Firmware 1.01 now released

http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48235

The following improvements have been made in A and B firmware Ver. 1.01.

- Bright spots were sometimes noticeable with movie recording of especially dark scenes or subjects. Occurrence of this issue has been reduced.

Not tried it yet as I am away for Xmas so dont want to risk not having a camera that works :)

updated and all seems ok - can't see any difference but the update did only seem designed for those who leave the lens-cap on when taking pictures !!

waiting patiently for my d7000 to arrive, then it will be adios to the d90

thanks mjjiva
not been the best of weather to get out and about with it yet

Got mine during the week and had a proper play with it this morning....just taking photo's of the kids with my 50mm 1.4G. Really like the sharpness of the images and how the camera handles but as others have said (and I read in reviews before buying it) the buffer size isn't great. Using RAW and with the Class 4 SDHC card I have to hand it's about 10 images before it really slows up. I ordered some of the new Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC cards (which are Class 12 I believe) last week which I hope should be much better. Sounds like the buffer should clear much more quickly.

I think I will order a grip...I really like the size of it for when I am traveling with the family but I think it will balance that bit better when using my other new present that arrives early next week ;)

in the process of selling my d3. Can't make up my mind D7000 or Pentax K-5, not got much nikon gear left now so can be an easy transfer over to pentax. The Pentax did feel better in my hand but not sure about the availability of Pentax glass. decisions decisions

any of you d300 owners?

really want video as a feature and a newer body. much over the d300? how are the much touted ISO capabilities? i.e 800+?

This review http://ishootshows.com/2011/01/11/review-nikon-d7000-nikons-best-dx-camera/ reckons the D7000 is about a stop worse than the D700 and certainly the test images seem to bear that out. Given that everyone says the D700 is king of low ISO photography outside the D3s that is not bad for a consumer camera.

I think the review on dpreview.com indicates pretty much the same thing.

The D300 for many has superior ergonomics and obviously the durability of the pro body but the D7000 is probably the more advanced camera technically. Depends what your priority is I suppose.

As for video it seems that the Canon cameras are still superior from what I have read but that wasn't why I bought the camera.

Last edited:
I'd be very interested to hear from people moving from a D300/S to a D7000.

Other tests indicate that the dynamic range betters the D700. Seriously? If so, that's very impressive for a cropped sensor!

I currently own a D200

Last edited:
scottthehat said:
dxo say that the d7000 beats the d700 for dynamic range but both are beat by the pentax k5,
also the pentax produces the best colours.
as for noise the test in that link above were done in good light try it in dull light and i bet it would be a world of difference.

see here.
http://dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/(appareil1)/680%7C0/(appareil2)/441%7C0/(appareil3)/676%7C0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Nikon/(brand2)/Nikon/(brand3)/Pentax

My point exactly :)

Back