Nikon D7xxx owners thread

I'm not sure how but I have managed to loose all the exposure information (aperture, speed, ISO etc etc) from the large LCD panel / live view screen. I have no idea how I have turned this off. When my D7000 is on (and lens cap removed) it's just blank. I have spent about two hours this morning searching the internet / watching You Tube tutorials but i'm still none of the wiser how to turn this function on. Any ideas ?

Many thanks,

Nick

hey guys..what software do you use to work on/convert NEF RAW files?i'm looking for a cheap option,as missus has put a ban on me spending for the moment.there is a freeware called fast stone image viewer that has been recommended to me...anyone use it,and is it any good?

T.I.A.

nikons free download - viewnx ( originally comes with camera ), bit slow but work well.

Free wise you can look at:
Gimp + ufraw. This is similar to Photoshop with ACR>
Google Picassa can read raw.
Capture One Express 6 can be had for free on an offer atm I believe.
If you have linux/mac then you could also look at Darktable.

Of those I'd try find the capture 1 offer.

many thanks chris..would I need the 32bit,or 64bit version,do you know?

If you want to fine tune it accurately there is a method called dot tune which uses the cameras internal focus confirmation!

There's a full thread on here about it or google it,there are videos on you tube!

Would post links but on my phone!

I did it both ways, lined up 3 objects, set to f1.8, focussed on the middle one and then did the dot tuning method.

Could see that the one furthest away was a little sharper, now have my camera set to -12 for my 35mm and the centre one is dead sharp. Great stuff.

It probably needs a little more tweaking to get it spot on, as my tripod is a £10 from Amazon jobby (I bought cheap until I knew I was going to keep the photography up) but it's better than it was, and I'll re-check when I have a sturdier tripod.

I did it both ways, lined up 3 objects, set to f1.8, focussed on the middle one and then did the dot tuning method.

Could see that the one furthest away was a little sharper, now have my camera set to -12 for my 35mm and the centre one is dead sharp. Great stuff.

It probably needs a little more tweaking to get it spot on, as my tripod is a £10 from Amazon jobby (I bought cheap until I knew I was going to keep the photography up) but it's better than it was, and I'll re-check when I have a sturdier tripod.

I did the exact same thing with the tripod but I bought cheap because I didn't know if I'd use it much.

I used it until the head fell off so be careful (and that was with the weight of a D3100 and kit lens before I traded up) lol

D7000 water woes

I bought my D7k about 6 months ago.

2 months ago i was out in Oxford and got caught in a 10 min rain shower so put the camera under my coat and dried it off as best as i could. Next day I turned it on and noticied water penetration behind the main lcd and top display. After 30 - 45 mins the mist had cleared and all was fine. and I thought no more

This week I was in Wales and got camera out and it started to rain so I quickly dried it off and put it back in rucksack. I later reviewed some images all fine

Next morning it was nice and warm and after 2 mins the rear screen misted up and cleared again after 30 mins just as before. But the same thing happened the following day

I think the weather seals just dont work, but dont know what Nikon will say

any thoughts? Do I try Currys or is that just the first 30 days?

Thanks

I think the D7000 is partially weather sealed but not as much as the D300

I was wrong!:LOL:

Off the Nikon Website

"the D7000 employs light and rugged magnesium alloy for top and rear covers for high durability. Furthermore, connected parts and various points are securely sealed, achieving superior weather-resistant and dustprevention performance."

So you may have a case!:thinking:

D7000 water woes

I bought my D7k about 6 months ago.

2 months ago i was out in Oxford and got caught in a 10 min rain shower so put the camera under my coat and dried it off as best as i could. Next day I turned it on and noticied water penetration behind the main lcd and top display. After 30 - 45 mins the mist had cleared and all was fine. and I thought no more

This week I was in Wales and got camera out and it started to rain so I quickly dried it off and put it back in rucksack. I later reviewed some images all fine

Next morning it was nice and warm and after 2 mins the rear screen misted up and cleared again after 30 mins just as before. But the same thing happened the following day

I think the weather seals just dont work, but dont know what Nikon will say

any thoughts? Do I try Currys or is that just the first 30 days?

Thanks

It appears it has worked and sealed it in there. (Sorry)

Have you tried taking the lens off and sealing it in a bag with those little silica gel bags that come with just about everything for a day or so?

Out of curiosity, what lens did you have on it in Oxford?

Don't muck about with it. Send it back.

Just changed camp from Canon and bought a D7000, hope to learn from this informative thread. Best get reading...

Currys want me to send it in to their Nikon repair centre. No camera for 2 weeks !!!

Lets see what they find....

Thanks for comments chaps

Currys want me to send it in to their Nikon repair centre. No camera for 2 weeks !!!

Lets see what they find....

Thanks for comments chaps

Out of curiosity, what lens were you using in Oxford when it got wet?

I had my sigma 70 - 200 OS 2.8 thingy and last week I had the tokina wide angle on the camera

After becoming underwhelmed by my 35mm 1.8 i done a very crude back focus test and it needed -18 for it to produce clear images, a little more than wanted but it is what it is. Now i'm getting the quality of images i expected from this lens. Seen a few people needing to apply a far amount of correction on this lens, i suppose some lenses are more susceptible to back focusing than others.

The 70-300 VR on the other hand is absolutely spot on, no correction at all needed, i'm really impressed with it, its a fantastic lens. IQ is excellent.

Looking forward to its first proper outing at goodwood at the end of the week. :)

Just thought I'd post here to say that tomorrow evening I pick up my new D7000 :D Needless to say, I'm mucho excited and cannot wait to pick it up and have a play with it.

It's been 5 years since I had a new camera, as a starter, how long should I charge the battery for when I come home?

Just thought I'd post here to say that tomorrow evening I pick up my new D7000 :D Needless to say, I'm mucho excited and cannot wait to pick it up and have a play with it.

It's been 5 years since I had a new camera, as a starter, how long should I charge the battery for when I come home?

Congrats, only had mine a few days.
The light on the charger will stay on once the battery is full.

Regards

Congrats, only had mine a few days.
The light on the charger will stay on once the battery is full.

Regards

Thanks, how are you finding it???

I think I didn't phrase my question well enough. When I pick it up, the battery should have a bit of life in it, do I use that up until it's low and then charge, or put it on to charge straight away until full, before using?

Do I charge until full, or charge for a 12 hour stint like we used to with old mobiles? Don't wanna ruin the battery with a bad first charge, that's all.

Thanks, how are you finding it???

I think I didn't phrase my question well enough. When I pick it up, the battery should have a bit of life in it, do I use that up until it's low and then charge, or put it on to charge straight away until full, before using?

Do I charge until full, or charge for a 12 hour stint like we used to with old mobiles? Don't wanna ruin the battery with a bad first charge, that's all.

I'm loving it, having moved from an old Canon 20D after a few years it's like a Rolls Royce.

IMO I would use what life is in the battery first whilst getting to grips with it, then fully charge it.

Once the light stays on the charger it's fully charged, so leaving it on for 12 hours won't make any difference unless I'm wrong :thinking:

Just stick it on charge until the light stays on. Modern batteries are pretty good and don' suffer form the memory effect like older ones. In fact it's bad for them to be run down completely (but the camera will turn it's self off before that happens so don't worry).

Just stick it on charge when you feel the remaining charge won't be enough for the day/session.

So what's the 50/60fps video option like using this 1.3x crop mode? Does the quality show a distinct drop in detail as a result of the crop, or is it not noticeable? There's very little actual good footage on Youtube to show what the video modes are like on the D7100 :)

Thanks guys. I had a quick look at it when I got it home, took a few photo's in auto, just to see what it was like. Quality in image was amazing.

I've got stuff to do now until I pick a new car up at 8pm, so I've left it on charge to fully charge, then I know I have it for the day tomorrow.

There is alot of new stuff on there for me, and alot to read in the guide aswell! Unsure whether to read the guide in one sitting, or do it bit by bit, as I go out and play with the camera, and just learn things as and when I can.

Looks awesome though, and I love it with the 35mm lens.

Battery life on the 7000 is among the best. I did a full day's shoot last month, 800+ shots and the battery was still going strong.

That's good to hear. I was going to go out and play with it and use some battery up, but I don't have the time, so figured i'd charge it full now, then try and get out later on. I reckon I'll reada bi ot he manual and check out a few settings, then just read bits each evening, but keep it with me when I go out so if I want to check something I can!

Yeah really pleased with the battery life too. To be fair though. my D3000 lasts really well for me too so I'm nowhere near the limits.

I really tried to like it, but I got fed up of the 70-300 VR so I went to chop it in for a MK1 18-200 VR last weekend. When I arrived it seems the lens had gone but hadn't been withdrawn from sale online yet. Luckily they had a MK2 version like I had a few months ago and I got that instead. So much better for my usage and more consistently sharp too. Happy chappy :cool:

Yeah really pleased with the battery life too. To be fair though. my D3000 lasts really well for me too so I'm nowhere near the limits.

I really tried to like it, but I got fed up of the 70-300 VR so I went to chop it in for a MK1 18-200 VR last weekend. When I arrived it seems the lens had gone but hadn't been withdrawn from sale online yet. Luckily they had a MK2 version like I had a few months ago and I got that instead. So much better for my usage and more consistently sharp too. Happy chappy :cool:

I'm glad to hear everyone is saying the battery usage is good. I am on two weeks holiday until Sunday and the mrs is ensuring I'm busy all the time so haven't been out yet :bang: Hope to get out this evening as the weather is beautiful.

Just wondering, why did you change from the 70-300mm? What did you not like about it? Was it what you waned to use it for, or the image sharpness?

Just changed my duty lens to my Tamron 17-50 nonVC.

Now my camera will not focus using live view.

Any ideas? What have I missed?

Ps live view is working fine with my 35mm

Just changed my duty lens to my Tamron 17-50 nonVC.

Now my camera will not focus using live view.

Any ideas? What have I missed?

Ps live view is working fine with my 35mm

I've jut done some googling, turns out it's a known issue with Tamron/Sigma lenses in the D7000? Might need to be sent back to Tamron.
Here's a link, different Tamron lens, same issue, might help a bit?:

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00YPpp

I've jut done some googling, turns out it's a known issue with Tamron/Sigma lenses in the D7000? Might need to be sent back to Tamron.
Here's a link, different Tamron lens, same issue, might help a bit?:

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00YPpp

Yeah I had that with my old 70-200 Sigma. The firmware in the lens isn't compatible fully with the newer camera. You can send them back to Sigma for a re-chip but not sure if Tamron will do the same.

Yeah I had that with my old 70-200 Sigma. The firmware in the lens isn't compatible fully with the newer camera. You can send them back to Sigma for a re-chip but not sure if Tamron will do the same.

Did you send yours back or replace it/learn to live with it in view finder?
I've never had a camera with live view before, so it doesn't really, or hasn't affected me as of yet, as I'm more used to using the view finder, but I imagine using live view could be useful on that lens.

I never use live view anyway but I sold it and upgraded to the OS version which does work with live view.

I'm glad to hear everyone is saying the battery usage is good. I am on two weeks holiday until Sunday and the mrs is ensuring I'm busy all the time so haven't been out yet :bang: Hope to get out this evening as the weather is beautiful.

Just wondering, why did you change from the 70-300mm? What did you not like about it? Was it what you waned to use it for, or the image sharpness?

Haha always the way. You'll be impressed I'm sure :)

Just couldn't get on with the 70-300 to be honest. Coming from my 18-200 VR II which was sharp, fast to focus and accurately track, the 70-300 was lethargic and the VR was junk. Images were typically soft and switching the VR into the 'On' setting, things became like a lad's night out (all a blur). I had more success shooting with the VR switched off but even then it was hit and miss (mostly miss). The focal range of the 18-200 suits me much better as I use it as a walkabout lens. Even with my 50mm 1.8D I'm having to walk a fair distance away to get things into the frame so back to the DX comfort zone I go :p

Back