Nikon D7xxx owners thread

I have just begun the process to officially become an owner of a D7000 and the kit 18-105 lens bought from ghop99 on here!

So I thought I'd sign up to this thread as I'm rather excited!

My mrs just bought herself the same combo and it seems to be a nice setup. I much prefer the 50mm 1.4G on the D7000 compared to my D600 as well as it seems far more suited to a crop sensor. Quite surprised at how good the ISO is on the camera as well.

Just arrived. Very excited. Now I need to learn how to use a proper camera!

Congrats!! You'll enjoy the customisable options on it and the extra wheel on the front for sure. I'd be lost without some of these options.

Hello,
I am now part of the D7100 fraternity. Canon man for many years I spent the last year or so in the company of Fuji X-Pro and stuff. Finally realised that I needed a DSLR again. Played with the D7100 and it looked the bee's. D7100, 10-24, 35 1.8 and my 16-85 will also be arriving in a few days. I have joined the dark side......:nikon:

Last edited:
So, showing it to my wife tonight when I got home and we tried it in fully automatic mode with no flash and it wasn't focusing very well. It was going all the way in and then back out of focus and then taking the photo. Seems to have a variety of results depending on how far down the shutter release button is pressed too.

We were taking photos of our cat who is a dark tortoise shell.

Kit 18 - 105 lens, hood on or off made no difference. It also seems to focus quite slowly too.

Is there something I am doing wrong?
Does it depend on the light level?

Hi Simon,
Sounds like the focus is "hunting" or trying to acquire a target. In low light it will struggle anyway but couple that with a subject (your cat) with very little contrast and it will be nigh on impossible for it to know what to do.
Please don't read through this whole thread and get paranoid about focus issues. Sure, some have had problems but the vast majority have not. Try your new toy out in decent light and enjoy :)

How easy was it for you guys that sent it back in for focus issues.

Mine has defiantly got an issue when focusing indoors, going to get it outside tomorrow for some more testing but indoor shots are requiring -20 on 2 different lens .
Only trouble is, some shots with no AF tune have come out sharp:puke:

Did it come back fixed 100%, are you now happy?

Think if I keep getting this after it comes back (after I send it), then it will all be going on the bay and getting a canon that will focus.:bang:

I'd be interested in this too as I am not convinced about my D7000. I've done some checks with the autofocus using a fixed point on a scale and checking how much for and aft are in focus and it seemed ok in the tests, but my hit rate of sharp shots is still too low for my liking.

So, showing it to my wife tonight when I got home and we tried it in fully automatic mode with no flash and it wasn't focusing very well. It was going all the way in and then back out of focus and then taking the photo. Seems to have a variety of results depending on how far down the shutter release button is pressed too.

Kit 18 - 105 lens, hood on or off made no difference. It also seems to focus quite slowly too.

I have had "hunting" with my 16-85mm and I take photos in a variety of low light low contrast and generally difficult situations. When this happens I do a number of things, I will alter the shutter speed, focal length, aperture ISO or all of them, depending on the situation. Basically I try and help the equipment, it isn't all point and shoot.

Thanks. Yes that's useful to know. I'm more open to this than my wife but hey, I work in IT and enjoy playing around with stuff.

I actually did a factory reset this morning too and it seems a lot better.

I think it also is better when not using live view.

I have had "hunting" with my 16-85mm and I take photos in a variety of low light low contrast and generally difficult situations. When this happens I do a number of things, I will alter the shutter speed, focal length, aperture ISO or all of them, depending on the situation. Basically I try and help the equipment, it isn't all point and shoot.

oh, I forgot, I will also turn off auto focus and use manual focus. I shot these two on Thursday night, I didn't know how in focus they were until I got them on the computer.

DSC_6907 by metroman2, on Flickr

DSC_6910 by metroman2, on Flickr

I found Ukaskew's post about focus interesting, anyone else got other focus tweaks that they found helped them? Would be interested to know :)

Cheers,

Paul

Choose a single focus point yourself.

Thank you, yes, I have been learning the AF system and it was just naivity really.

I am tending to use AF-C mostly now, but that figures I suppose, as I am photographing a moving object.

AF-A, is the most frustrating setting and I haven't yet moved on from full auto on the dial to anything else.

I read an article which explained the D7000's AF system very well. Out of interest, what do others of you use the AE-L / AF-L button for?

I'm sure I'll make use of the User modes 1 and 2 once I have learnt more.

Somethings we will be shooting a lot of will be our newborn baby (due end of Feb) and animals.

I'm also wondering if the Kit Lens will be best or if I'll need to get a 35mm prime

Thanks all for your help so far. It's lovely to have such a capable camera that I can grow in to.

I use U1 for easy iso (ISO on rear wheel) and aperture priority and U2 for Auto ISO aperture priority I rarely use shutter priority and either open up my aperture or boost my ISO to get a decent shutter speed. Simples!

Don't use the AE button much as tend to be in single point focus mode - I choose which dot focuses with the back buttons. Using this with AF A works well. AfC is for moving targets ie for when my son is charging around being bonkers or skiing

Cheers

Sorry, I meant what do YOU all use it for? :)

I use it a bit for all three of these in different situations. There are a times when I want to lock both focus and exposure to get hand held quick pano's, back button focussing for birds in flight, focus lock if grass is in front of a subject and I'm using the 300 f4 with no focus lock button on the lens to stop misfocus on the grass. There are times when I want to lock the exposure only too to exposure for only one part of the image.

Last edited:
Body and grip arrived today just got to wait for the lenses to arrive now.

just a quick question !
when i adjust the single focus point ,this appears fine on the rear screen
but the top display only shows the total focus points?
guess i am missing something simple
cheers

just a quick question !
cheers

That's how mine is, it's better for me to look through the viewfinder while changing any focus settings, it much clearer and saves battery power (y)

just a quick question !
cheers

Top screen shows the focus zone, not the single point selected.

Thanks for that. I take it there are no issues with snugness/rattling etc as you state there are a 'number of us' with them already..........

Cheers, John

I wonder now that d600 price dropping how many 7100 users are thinking of making the change or maybe buying to use alongside.

Thanks for that. I take it there are no issues with snugness/rattling etc as you state there are a 'number of us' with them already..........

Cheers, John

My own grip sits nicely on my camera and the only movement is the tightening wheel that has a minor rattle, in fact the occasional rattle it makes encourages me to check tightness to the body but I have had no issues on that score. If you only use the AA battery compartment ( I don't have a 2nd battery for my 7000) the whole thing can get heavy. I carried mine around all day back in the summer with a 16-85mm lens and my wrist had a definite ache. On the plus side though, 6 AA batteries will be the first power for your camera before your camera's own battery is required.

I wonder now that d600 price dropping how many 7100 users are thinking of making the change or maybe buying to use alongside.

I suspect some will as the lure of full frame is quite strong. For me 'full frame' is not such a pull. I had the Canon 5D2 and yes the images were beautiful. But looking back I had no more keepers than on my 7D. The D7100 offers resolution at least as good as the 5D2 (imho) and the glass to build a complete system for it is much less expensive (edit: and lighter) than having to go FX.

Last edited:
Just bought a D800 to compliment the D4 for wedding work, and that will replace my D7100 (which will be listed on here shortly). I was impressed with it during my few months of ownership, even though I only took a couple of thousand shoots with it. Very capable all-rounder tbh, I can't really see much of a space in the market for the D400 so I think the 7100 is likely to remain the defacto top-end DX until at least some new tech means it can be superceded. I'd probably keep mine but as a third body it really wouldn't get used.

Just seen a rumour this might be in a cash back deal bringing it down another £100. I could get it for £689, uk model.

Back