Nikon D7xxx owners thread

I'd love that lens as a replacement for my 300 f4 (the one before this one), but can't justify having another 300mm, especially not at that price!

I'd love that lens as a replacement for my 300 f4 (the one before this one), but can't justify having another 300mm, especially not at that price!

The lens you have Chris, (the 300mm f4 AF-S), is IMHO one of the best Nikon have made - I have only just sold mine - a 'classic"

you'r right there...I.keep convincing myself that i still need it, after i bought the 150-600,. its bloody good , even for macro work..

I'm definitely keeping mine even when I get the 150-600 as an amazing walkabout lens. Not quite as good as the pf version but still!

I'm definitely keeping mine even when I get the 150-600 as an amazing walkabout lens. Not quite as good as the pf version but still!

If you are going for a zoom, what about the new Nikon 200 500mm f5.6 E VR Chris - it will take the TC14Ell giving you up to 1050mm at f8 with the D7200 - use it on a tripod and it should be good in good light

HDEW = under £1k

I'd stick to Nikon ... just because I have always been happy with them for years

not long had battery grip, free with 7200, does any one use it, if they do what are plus and minus points, keep looking at mine thinking shall i shant i put it on.

I got it free on the offer too. I keep it on constantly because it gives you a faster fps and i use mine for product photography so find the portrait controls useful.

Personally I've never got on with a grip, never felt as comfortable/secure as the 'built-in' on the D3/D4 series :)

Really?? I could have sworn I read that somewhere!! I can't find anything about it now!
Only the D300, D300S, D700 and I think the D8xx cameras benefit from an increase in FPS with a grip. (D8xx in DX mode only apparently!) Would be great if the D7200 did.

Edit - I think on the 300 and 700 you also need to use a different battery pack in the grip as well to get the extra FPS, not just an extra standard battery.

Last edited:
I have bought grips for a few of the Nikons that I have had - you think that it is something that you need and feel that well "I'm a pro" now with this big slab in my "mits" - they have usually lasted about a week or so before I have got fed up with the size and dismissed them to the "drawer" of many not-used kit

but worth buying a non_OEM on Ebay just to have a "play"

Last edited:
Really?? I could have sworn I read that somewhere!! I can't find anything about it now!

The only increase on the D7200 comes from using the 1.3x crop mode - this gets you from 6 to 7fps.

I have the battery grip on mine, if only for comfort. I still need to buy a second battery to put in the camera!

Page 67. The only way to increase fps is use the 1.3 crop mode (it goes from 5 to 6 with 14-bit raw or from 6 to 7 with JPEG). Interestingly it mentions the frame rate may drop at extremely high apertures, low shutter speed with vr on, using auto ISO and when the battery is low.

Last edited:
I use a battery grip for two reasons, firstly a second battery for backup power (set to use the grip first, camera second), and secondly for portrait shooting. I find it more comfortable to shoot portrait, it's also easier to hold the camera steady in portrait. For me it has nothing to do with looks as it's taken off for landscaping and more to do with functionality. If you don't use portrait orientation then a grip isn't as useful.

Well that's pretty rubbish then. I'll take it off. Still, it's useful for portrait mode when I'm doing product photography.

Out of interest, do you all use 12 or 14bit raw?

Well that's pretty rubbish then. I'll take it off. Still, it's useful for portrait mode when I'm doing product photography.

I used to use 12 bit but changed to 14 bit lossless compressed as i might as always shoot at the highest quality. It only costs a small amount of storage difference. The buffer is affected slightly but there is still enough buffer for me unlike the d7100 where the buffer was limiting.

I used to use 12 bit but changed to 14 bit lossless compressed as i might as always shoot at the highest quality. It only costs a small amount of storage difference. The buffer is affected slightly but there is still enough buffer for me unlike the d7100 where the buffer was limiting.

I was reading a comparison yesterday of 12 vs 14 with the d810 and the guy found no difference except in maybe 1% of scenes under very specific circumstances. As you say though, can't hurt.

14-bit here too as I like to shoot at (what I perceive to be) the highest quality.

Last edited:
I got that offer! Love my D7200, moved from a Pentax system, still trying to memorise all the different button positions. I have never used the D7200 without the battery grip. I can hand hold the camera so much better with it on and when I have the Sigma 150-600 on it balances the weight nicely. Nice bit of kit :)

I was reading a comparison yesterday of 12 vs 14 with the d810 and the guy found no difference except in maybe 1% of scenes under very specific circumstances. As you say though, can't hurt.
This is a good explanation of 14 vs 12 bit. It would seem most humans can't tell any difference between the two.

https://photographylife.com/14-bit-vs-12-bit-raw

I've just had a play with the d7200, fps is affected by the 12/14 bit choice. 12 bit shoots at 6 fps dx and 7 fps 1.3 crop mode whereas 14 bit means a 1fps loss (5fps dx, 6fps 1.3 crop). So if you want the fastest fps use 12 bit lossless compressed. I got confused with the d750 which isn't affected by file type.

Last edited:
Rob, that's the article I read :) He doesn't seem to see any difference except if you really under or over expose and have to recover shadows or highlights dramatically. Maybe I'll stick to 12 then, because for BIF I want the highest fps obviously.

Well Rob just gained me an extra FPS, There is defo a difference, just tested it. This will come in handy for my wildlife shooting. I was on 14 bit with no idea. Thanks!

Rob, that's the article I read :) He doesn't seem to see any difference except if you really under or over expose and have to recover shadows or highlights dramatically. Maybe I'll stick to 12 then, because for BIF I want the highest fps obviously.

I scan read it before posting the link. It would seem there isn't much difference. I think the real decision isn't 12 bit or 14 bit but how they affect fps, buffer size and card capacity.

Last edited:
also if you put a faster SD card in it will help with the frame rate

there is a chart somewhere on the net comparing speeds

Just wondering what AF settings fellow D7100 owners tend to use? I'm not used to this much choice!

Just wondering what AF settings fellow D7100 owners tend to use? I'm not used to this much choice!

If you are shooting Birds Ian ... 95% of the time for me it is single cell focused on the eye/head ...... sometimes 5 for BIF's, but I have found even then if you can track with one cell you are more successful

because of this I never tend to use more than 5 cells for anything

Thanks, Bill. I'm more likely to be shooting a landscape or portrait but still find single point the best so far for portraits at least.

Same here, tried the grip on, felt OK but couldn't think of a situation where I'll ever need it so it's sitting in a cupboard. I'd sell it but everyone's got one already!

Same here, tried the grip on, felt OK but couldn't think of a situation where I'll ever need it so it's sitting in a cupboard. I'd sell it but everyone's got one already!
Is it the official Nikon grip, Ian? If so, I've had one sat in my Amazon basket for the last couple of months that I haven't got round to buying yet..... :D

Only recent uk purchasers got the grip offer. I'm sure there are owners who haven't got one as they either purchased uk before the offer or purchased grey.
Like me :)

@banjokat (maybe my last post was a little too subtle) - if you're interested in selling, then I'd be interested in buying.... ;)

Grateful for your thoughts. I'm pretty convinced that I'm going to go for the D7200 but have two choices with kit lenses, the 18-105 or the 18-140. There is not enough of a price difference to be an issue and the extra reach is presumably useful.

So my question is 105 or 140 and why?

Thanks.

18-105 is ok but I think given the choice I would go 18-140 for the extra reach.
I have had 3 or 4 of the 18-105 lenses and never really used them much. My lad now has my current one. I've always found them to be lacking in contrast and a bit wishy washy.
Never tried the 18-140 but am tempted to try and get hold of one just to try it out.

16-85 is my lightweight walkabout lens when I cant be bothered with the weight of the 24-70.

@Chuckoir sorry not been on. Give me a day or two to think about it and I'll pm you. Consider yourself as having first refusal if I do. Cheers.

As for the 105 or 140, I have the 105 as mine's a UK model (with the free grip ;)). Don't know why UK models can't come with the 140 like everywhere else as I'd much rather have had that.

Back